Roberto Luongo

Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Roberto Luongo 

Post#1 » by Nolan » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:47 pm

Well its looks like his time in Vancouver is pretty much over, he just said he'd waive his no-trade clause today and the Canucks can't really afford to keep both him and Schneider.

Everyone talks about how terrible his contract is but its not unmoveable. His cap hit is 5.33 million which isn't all that bad for a solid starting goalie who's done what he's done in his career. The 10 years left on the deal are a problem but I doubt they're a deal breaker for teams desperate for a starting goalie.

I think teams like the Leafs, Lightning, Panthers, Capitals and Blue Jackets will all be interested in him.

So do you guys think he'll be dealt this summer?
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 60

Re: Roberto Luongo 

Post#2 » by OldNo7 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:01 pm

The cap hit is manageable, but the length is absurd. Subtract the Panthers (Markstrom) and Caps (Holtby/Neuvirth) from the list, and add the Hawks. I wonder if the Oilers would have interest? Pittsburgh? Devils if Marty retires?
Twitter: @NickObergan
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#3 » by WEFFPIM » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:42 pm

Trust me when I say the Blackhawks won't be pursuing him.

It's gotta be the Lightning or Leafs
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Nolan » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:22 am

OldNo7 wrote:The cap hit is manageable, but the length is absurd. Subtract the Panthers (Markstrom) and Caps (Holtby/Neuvirth) from the list, and add the Hawks. I wonder if the Oilers would have interest? Pittsburgh? Devils if Marty retires?

Oilers won't be interested. Dubynk's our guy going forward.

Mark Spector mentioned the Sharks as a potential suitor today and I could see it working well. Niemi hasn't exactly been great for them and Luo could push them over the top.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#5 » by ajaX82 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:04 am

How much value can Luongo have right now? Talk about selling low...
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by OldNo7 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:03 am

He played well in the playoffs. That being said, I think they could get more for Schneider.

Oh and btw, Dubnyk? Really? I dont think he is a starter going forward. But I've been wrong many times before I guess.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Nolan » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:38 pm

OldNo7 wrote:Oh and btw, Dubnyk? Really? I dont think he is a starter going forward. But I've been wrong many times before I guess.

He had a rough start to the season but after the All-Star break the kids was outstanding (11-6-1, 2.48 GAA, .919 SV%) and he did all of that with one of the worst defenses in front of him. He took a long time to develop(big goalie usually do) but he's finally arrived and he's our guy going forward.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,581

Post#8 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:20 pm

I don't like Luongo for TB unless Lecavalier goes back. Two lifetime contracts to go beside Stamkos' max deal is a lot in a hardcap league. Luongo for Lecavalier would make sense for VAN if Luongo was truly unmoveable, but I don't think he is personally.

I think Toronto is the frontrunner
Canucklehead
Veteran
And1: 23

Post#9 » by Canucklehead » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:22 pm

All depends on what Van can get for him or Cory. Obviously folks are losing faith in Luongo when it's all on the line and I was there before the failure in the final he's too hot and cold.

That said with his value seemingly low and Cory having proved himself as a #1 goalie van may be better off reaffirming lou as top dog by trading Cory instead if the return is high enough.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,208

Post#10 » by Mr Swagtastic » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:53 pm

I think it's Toronto or bust right now. The Leafs need a lot of help and haven't had a clear #1 since Cujo. They had a lot of fringe #1's but I think if they could get Bobby Lou on the cheaper side of things it could be a move they should be making to save face.

I can't see The Lighting moving Vinny L for Bobby Lou sure he fills a hole but who steps up as their #1 C?
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by OldNo7 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:47 pm

Stamkos is their #1 C, they would no doubt having a gaping hole after their top line if they moved Vinny though.

I except Cory to get dealt because he would bring more value back to the organization.
sh00n
RealGM
And1: 1,969

Post#12 » by sh00n » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:52 am

Reimer, Bozak, 1st or one of their higher end prospects for Luongo.
Support your local artist, kids: http://www.katsenhakeron.com
@katsenhaker0n on the bird app
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#13 » by Crowned » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:00 am

Mr Swagtastic wrote:I think it's Toronto or bust right now. The Leafs need a lot of help and haven't had a clear #1 since Cujo. They had a lot of fringe #1's but I think if they could get Bobby Lou on the cheaper side of things it could be a move they should be making to save face.

I can't see The Lighting moving Vinny L for Bobby Lou sure he fills a hole but who steps up as their #1 C?

Ed Belfour?
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#14 » by Mr Swagtastic » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:59 pm

Crowned wrote:
Mr Swagtastic wrote:I think it's Toronto or bust right now. The Leafs need a lot of help and haven't had a clear #1 since Cujo. They had a lot of fringe #1's but I think if they could get Bobby Lou on the cheaper side of things it could be a move they should be making to save face.

Ed Belfour?

Well to be fair Ed was good for 2 seasons in Toronto and then fell off in his 3rd one and posted a .500 record plus was on the serious downswing of his career. Point is I think The Leafs need a #1 type goalie who can last more then 3 years. They need defense as well should be a very busy offseason for them.

OldNo7 wrote:Stamkos is their #1 C, they would no doubt having a gaping hole after their top line if they moved Vinny though.

I except Cory to get dealt because he would bring more value back to the organization.

I always pictured Stamkos as a winger wierd. Well if I am Vancouver and I could get a very good physical C like Vinny for Bobby Lou I take that deal gives you 2 very good legit C's in Sedin and Vinny L to make them a damn good team even more so then now.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#15 » by ajaX82 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:24 am

Apparently Luongo has officially asked to be traded. Cory Schneider time for Vancouver

An interesting note about the Leafs I saw was that their goalie coach is really tight with Roberto and works with him in the off-season; apparently that's a big deal for him. huh. Link if you are interested

http://www2.canada.com/topics/news/nati ... id=6522534
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by OldNo7 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:35 am

Luongo needs to stay away from somewhere that has too much media. No Canada, no original six. Tampa is the perfect fit.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#17 » by Mr Swagtastic » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:01 pm

OldNo7 wrote:Luongo needs to stay away from somewhere that has too much media. No Canada, no original six. Tampa is the perfect fit.

Panthers would be a good fit considering they need a #1 till Jacob Markstrom is 100% NHL ready. I think Bobby Lou would fit the mold there since the fans and management love him well at least what I know about the situation.

Some how I could see The Jets as a dark horse for him IDK but he's a upgrade over Chris Mason easily and I am not sold on Ondřej Pavelec as anything more then a backup. If The Jets could get him on the cheap I don't see why they wouldn't.
WEFFPIM
RealGM

Post#18 » by WEFFPIM » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:07 pm

Nolan mentioned it in the first post but it hasn't been brought up since.

Luongo in Columbus makes a ton of sense, too.
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by OldNo7 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:41 am

Columbus makes a tonne of sense, but not sure he would waive his NTC for that. I still dont see Florida making any sense. They love Markstrom, and even if he isnt ready until 2013, they aren't about to take Luongo on for the next nine years.
WEFFPIM
RealGM

Post#20 » by WEFFPIM » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:13 pm

OldNo7 wrote:Columbus makes a tonne of sense, but not sure he would waive his NTC for that. I still dont see Florida making any sense. They love Markstrom, and even if he isnt ready until 2013, they aren't about to take Luongo on for the next nine years.

And they have Theodore under contract for next season.

Return to The General NHL Board