Offseason Discussion Thread

Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Offseason Discussion Thread 

Post#1 » by Nolan » Fri Jul 5, 2013 4:13 pm

Since there's no point and making a new topic for every little signing and trade so I thought i'd make a thread to discuss all of smaller moves made today and throughout the summer.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Re: Offseason Discussion Thread 

Post#2 » by Celtics_Champs » Fri Jul 5, 2013 4:15 pm

Alfie to the Wings.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by Celtics_Champs » Fri Jul 5, 2013 5:05 pm

Horton to the blue jackets for 7 years.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Nolan » Fri Jul 5, 2013 6:50 pm

I'm actually liking what the Oilers are doing so far. They managed to actually to get something for Horcoff, love the Ference signing, Boyd Gordon is a solid bottom six guy who can actually win facoffs and Labarbera's a solid backup.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Nolan » Fri Jul 5, 2013 6:53 pm

Really wanted the Flyers to sign Tim Thomas just for the hell of it, but I guess they're going with Emery as their starter next year.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,440

Post#6 » by trwi7 » Fri Jul 5, 2013 7:40 pm

The Predators gave both Matt Hendricks and Eric Nystrom four year deals. They will cost them $17.4 million. David Poile has gone **** insane.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Ado05
RealGM
And1: 5,942

Post#7 » by Ado05 » Fri Jul 5, 2013 7:42 pm

Uhh, Ryan to the Sens.

Silverberg, 1st, and Noesen.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Nolan » Fri Jul 5, 2013 9:10 pm

trwi7 wrote:The Predators gave both Matt Hendricks and Eric Nystrom four year deals. They will cost them $17.4 million. David Poile has gone **** insane.

I like both guys, but 4 years is excessive for guys that play that style.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Nolan » Fri Jul 5, 2013 9:50 pm

So thoughts on the Leafs moves so far? I'm not a fan of what they paid for Clarkson, they're going to regret that one.
Ado05
RealGM

Post#10 » by Ado05 » Fri Jul 5, 2013 10:22 pm

Not a fan of the term, but the salary isnt a problem.
TheRealistGM
Veteran
And1: 849

Post#11 » by TheRealistGM » Sat Jul 6, 2013 3:15 am

Its a length issue along with NMC and NTC...7 years for a guy who is 30 and plays the style he plays. His contract will eventually be a hinderance when the leafs can't move him at all when he is 35-36-37. I personally as a GM would never sign someone to a 7 year deal unless they were an elite player in this league. Clarkson is great, but not elite
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Celtics_Champs » Sat Jul 6, 2013 4:18 am

Iggy as a bruin is hilarious.!
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Nolan » Sat Jul 6, 2013 5:46 pm

Adrian_05 wrote:Not a fan of the term, but the salary isnt a problem.

Really? 5.3 million a year for a 30 year old forward who's never had more than 50 points in a season? I know he scored 30 a couple years ago but the dudes not a top 6 forward.
Ado05
RealGM

Post#14 » by Ado05 » Sat Jul 6, 2013 7:06 pm

Nolan wrote:

Really? 5.3 million a year for a 30 year old forward who's never had more than 50 points in a season? I know he scored 30 a couple years ago but the dudes not a top 6 forward.

Look at what all the other forwards are getting. 5.5 for Alfie, 4.75 for Clowe, 6 for Iginla, 5 for Fillpula, 5.4 for Horton. Of those guys, I can see Clarkson getting more points than Iginla, Clowe, and Fillpula. Every forward is getting over paid this offseason. **** Boyd Gordon got 3 mill per. Only deal that I thought was a good one was the Weiss one.

I think he was on pace for like 25 goals this year too.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by Nolan » Sat Jul 6, 2013 7:57 pm

Adrian_05 wrote:
Nolan wrote:

Look at what all the other forwards are getting. 5.5 for Alfie, 4.75 for Clowe, 6 for Iginla, 5 for Fillpula, 5.4 for Horton. Of those guys, I can see Clarkson getting more points than Iginla, Clowe, and Fillpula. Every forward is getting over paid this offseason. **** Boyd Gordon got 3 mill per. Only deal that I thought was a good one was the Weiss one.

Filpula and Clowe both got overpaid but i'd rather them over Clarkson and Alfie and Iginla only signed one year deals, the kind of deal respected vets like them get.
TheRealistGM
Veteran
And1: 849

Post#16 » by TheRealistGM » Sat Jul 6, 2013 9:17 pm

Nolan wrote:
Adrian_05 wrote:
Nolan wrote:

Filpula and Clowe both got overpaid but i'd rather them over Clarkson and Alfie and Iginla only signed one year deals, the kind of deal respected vets like them get.

Iggies is largely incentive based as well. Only 1.8 million is gauranteed the rest is performance based.
Ado05
RealGM

Post#17 » by Ado05 » Mon Jul 8, 2013 12:01 am

Nolan wrote:
Adrian_05 wrote:
Nolan wrote:

You'd seriously take Clower or Clarkson? :lol:

I might take Filpula over him, but definitely not Clowe.
Ado05
RealGM

Post#18 » by Ado05 » Mon Jul 8, 2013 12:02 am

TheRealistGM wrote:
Nolan wrote:
Adrian_05 wrote:Look at what all the other forwards are getting. 5.5 for Alfie, 4.75 for Clowe, 6 for Iginla, 5 for Fillpula, 5.4 for Horton. Of those guys, I can see Clarkson getting more points than Iginla, Clowe, and Fillpula. Every forward is getting over paid this offseason. **** Boyd Gordon got 3 mill per. Only deal that I thought was a good one was the Weiss one.

Iggies is largely incentive based as well. Only 1.8 million is gauranteed the rest is performance based.

Dont care about the actual salary. Its all about the cap hit, and its going to be $6 million.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Nolan » Mon Jul 8, 2013 6:53 pm

Adrian_05 wrote:You'd seriously take Clower or Clarkson? :lol:

I might take Filpula over him, but definitely not Clowe.

Of course. I'd rather have the guy who's had four very good consecutive seasons up until last year versus the guy who's had one good season in his entire career.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Nolan » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:43 am

And the Oilers deal Paajarvi and a 2nd for David Perron. Absolutely hate the move.

Return to The General NHL Board