ImageImageImage

SZN OPENER!: PO' ONE OUT FOR IGGS, AS WE OPEN UPON A NEW JOURNEY! HEATS V. DETS OCT 25TH, 8:30PM

Moderators: KingDavid, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ

gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,476

Re: SZN OPENER!: PO' ONE OUT FOR IGGS, AS WE OPEN UPON A NEW JOURNEY! HEATS V. DETS OCT 25TH, 8:30PM 

Post#301 » by gom » Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:09 pm

I feel many teams that were generally regarded as poor last season (Spurs, Magic, Pistons, & Hornets) will impress, at least early in the season. They have a ton of young talent. Detroit will cause a lot of headaches this season. Getting an early win is great.
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^
dolphinatik
Head Coach
And1: 4,226

Re: SZN OPENER!: PO' ONE OUT FOR IGGS, AS WE OPEN UPON A NEW JOURNEY! HEATS V. DETS OCT 25TH, 8:30PM 

Post#302 » by dolphinatik » Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:39 pm

Kevin Love - really worked to move without the ball, cut and find open spaces. He set the example for this last night.
Duncan Robinson- see Kevin Love, moved his feet to set himself up. made quick decisions, growth was seen.
JJJ- this guy
Thomas Bryant- so far so good, he can do more.
Tyler Herro did well considering. needs time to get to mid season form
Orlando Robinson, Cain or Jovic could have take Lowrys or Dru's minutes we really didnt need them on the court.

Hope to see more of the young guys mixed in as soon as possible.
1. Herro 2. Bol Bol 3. Seko 4. Bruno
unless we trade up for Barrett or trade down for PJ Washington
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,528

Post#303 » by twix2500 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:08 pm

I'm surprise many are not excited in what they seen in JJJ. You have a guy who the Heat can give the ball and say go make a play. And soon a guy who is closing games this year.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 29,228

Post#304 » by AirP. » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:22 pm

twix2500 wrote:I'm surprise many are not excited in what they seen in JJJ. You have a guy who the Heat can give the ball and say go make a play. And soon a guy who is closing games this year.

I expect Jaquez Jr to be a long-term starting level player who they can run some offense through. I've thought this since seeing him play in Rico Hines games in 2022, his passing vision is also better than what he's shown so far.

My hope is that Jaquez Jr makes C.Martin expendable this season and Marin and his player's option are packaged with others in a consolidation package.
HeatFan_NC
Sophomore
And1: 312

Post#305 » by HeatFan_NC » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:52 pm

I hope the kid does well. He seems to have a very good skill set, which is not surprising for a 4-year college player.

No shade on Bam or Herro, but it's nice when a 4 year college player comes in and is able to demonstrate and contribute his skill set immediately.
HeatFan_NC
Sophomore

Post#306 » by HeatFan_NC » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:52 pm

I hope the kid does well. He seems to have a very good skill set, which is not surprising for a 4-year college player.

No shade on Bam or Herro, but it's nice when a 4 year college player comes in and is able to demonstrate and contribute his skill set immediately.
HeatFan_NC
Sophomore

Post#307 » by HeatFan_NC » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:54 pm

VaDe255 wrote:I like what I saw from Herro. He was very aggressive on both ends and even got 3 steals. I have no issue what so ever with him getting up 24 FGs, I hope he stay this aggressive throughout the season.

I know a lot are bashing him for his inefficiency, but his shots were mostly good. He missed 6 shots close to the basket, some of these were blocks (and some had a lot of contact, which could have been fouls). He went 3/9 around that range close to the basket, just one of those days.

He went 2/8 from mid range and 2/7 from 3, this would be the only nit pick I have. The ratio here should have been more like 5 from mid range and 10 from three instead.

He created a lot of these shots on his own, only few were assisted and not a single corner 3, which you ideally would want more of.

Duncan and JJJ look very promising and will probably gradually get more minutes if they can keep up the level they showed today.

I think a lot are too down on this team, it has potential and this was only the first game and they clearly got sloppy in the end, but focused just enough to pull through.

I think Herro would be better as the 6th man. What do you think?
Rapaz
RealGM
And1: 39,801

Post#308 » by Rapaz » Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:08 pm

Stopping by to say

Phuk Kyle Lowry
VaDe255
Pro Prospect
And1: 684

Post#309 » by VaDe255 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:16 pm

HeatFan_NC wrote:
VaDe255 wrote:I like what I saw from Herro. He was very aggressive on both ends and even got 3 steals. I have no issue what so ever with him getting up 24 FGs, I hope he stay this aggressive throughout the season.

I know a lot are bashing him for his inefficiency, but his shots were mostly good. He missed 6 shots close to the basket, some of these were blocks (and some had a lot of contact, which could have been fouls). He went 3/9 around that range close to the basket, just one of those days.

He went 2/8 from mid range and 2/7 from 3, this would be the only nit pick I have. The ratio here should have been more like 5 from mid range and 10 from three instead.

He created a lot of these shots on his own, only few were assisted and not a single corner 3, which you ideally would want more of.

Duncan and JJJ look very promising and will probably gradually get more minutes if they can keep up the level they showed today.

I think a lot are too down on this team, it has potential and this was only the first game and they clearly got sloppy in the end, but focused just enough to pull through.

I think Herro would be better as the 6th man. What do you think?

They could play him as a sixth man, and he might be more efficient, but it could hinder his growth.
His ceiling is higher, and he's a great fit with Jimmy and Bam. His spacing creates the room these two need to operate in the paint, and they should play as many minutes together as possible.
Spo was subbing him out a bit earlier and staggering his minutes so he could play with the second unit. I like that approach a lot.

Having either Herro or Duncan on the floor with Jimmy and Bam provides a balanced attack, with the ability to penetrate the paint, kick out for three-point shots, or operate in the mid-range.
If they develop strong team chemistry by the end of the season they could be formidable in the playoffs. A lineup of Jimmy, Bam, Herro, Caleb, and JRich taking the most minutes and closing games, with Duncan, Bryant, JJJ, Love as backups sounds really good to me. There isn't even really much of a need for a true PG, because Herro/JRich/JJJ/Bam can take turns handling the ball and Jimmy tends to take on these duties more during the playoffs and closing time anyway.

A lot are too down on this team, when all they need is a step forward from Herro and their players staying healthy and they should have a really good year.
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,528

Post#310 » by twix2500 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:48 pm

AirP. wrote:
twix2500 wrote:I'm surprise many are not excited in what they seen in JJJ. You have a guy who the Heat can give the ball and say go make a play. And soon a guy who is closing games this year.

I expect Jaquez Jr to be a long-term starting level player who they can run some offense through. I've thought this since seeing him play in Rico Hines games in 2022, his passing vision is also better than what he's shown so far.

My hope is that Jaquez Jr makes C.Martin expendable this season and Marin and his player's option are packaged with others in a consolidation package.
I am gonna say this and I know some will be mad. But I am gonna watch JJJ a little more but I am close to saying his ceiling is higher than Herro's. And may potentially replace one of our top 3 players as a go-too scorer. When JJJ said that the Heat were working him in plays at all four positions except for the center that says a lot

IceColdCubano
General Manager
And1: 16,989

Post#311 » by IceColdCubano » Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:17 pm

twix2500 wrote:
AirP. wrote:

I am gonna say this and I know some will be mad. But I am gonna watch JJJ a little more but I am close to saying his ceiling is higher than Herro's. And may potentially replace one of our top 3 players as a go-too scorer. When JJJ said that the Heat were working him in plays at all four positions except for the center that says a lot

From a scorer perspective if he finds a way to also learn how to move around screens fluidly and hit off the dribble shots yeah absolutely. He already has better defense, better measurables, bigger size, longer wingspan, looks to run down the court faster, has a higher vert, has innate gifted footwork in the post and great faceup game on elbow. He has the physical tools Herro doesn't, he just doesn't look as fluid off the dribble, but if he does polish that side, yeah absolutely. Only thing I would say, Herro currently gets stronger coverage because he has been in the league a bit longer and is covered tightly for his shot. JJJ hasn't earned that rep yet, I would wait and see as he improves and his coverages are tighter and with bit more scouting from teams, how he responds.
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 40,000

Post#312 » by KingDavid » Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:31 pm

twix2500 wrote:
AirP. wrote:

I quietly suspect the same. I think JJJ right may have a higher ceiling. He's way better defensively. He's a seemingly better passer. He has a quicker first step and/or multiple ways to get around his man. He has a mature post-up game with a deadly pump fake; that's going to lead to drawing plenty of fouls which Herro still struggles with. He doesn't chuck shots and tries his best to get to spots where he knows he can score. In herro's defense, JJJ is doing these thing while not yet a primary option nor scouted like Herro himself.

So it's a few things I'm noticing, but it's too early for me (just me, others can say as they please) to say anything definitive in comparing these two aside from defense and post ups where there's a clear winner in JJJ this far.
#HEATLifer

Long Live Kobe Bryant. My idol's idol.
IceColdCubano
General Manager

Post#313 » by IceColdCubano » Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:39 pm

KingDavid wrote:
twix2500 wrote:
AirP. wrote:

I quietly suspect the same. I think JJJ right may have a higher ceiling. He's way better defensively. He's a seemingly better passer. He has a quicker first step and/or multiple ways to get around his man. He has a mature post-up game with a deadly pump fake; that's going to lead to drawing plenty of fouls which Herro still struggles with. He doesn't chuck shots and tries his best to get to spots where he knows he can score. In herro's defense, JJJ is doing these thing while not yet a primary option nor scouted like Herro himself.

So it's a few things I'm noticing, but it's too early for me (just me, others can say as they please) to say anything definitive in comparing these two aside from defense and post ups where there's a clear winner in JJJ this far.

I posted right above you, and literally said the exact same thing in a different way. Good to see that others are seeing the same thing.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 29,228

Post#314 » by AirP. » Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:40 pm

The play is good but what I really like is finding out in his first NBA game he's already scouting his opponents at a pretty good level. It's an advantage that basically any player can have but not everyone puts the time in to really scout who they're playing.
Read on Twitter
IceColdCubano
General Manager

Post#315 » by IceColdCubano » Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:46 pm

AirP. wrote:The play is good but what I really like is finding out in his first NBA game he's already scouting his opponents at a pretty good level. It's an advantage that basically any player can have but not everyone puts the time in to really scout who they're playing.
Read on Twitter

Yeah, seeing a young player scouting another team, specially a bench player who you know youll match up against when you get limited playing time speaks volumes to how good he can be with more time. Like who does that, a rookie whos' told is gonna get 10 minutes of burn in his first NBA game, is gonna sit and watch tape of the other teams bench players he might end up matching up with and take notes on what they favor in order to counter. Then on top of that lock that in your memory bank, remember it at game speed as it happens, and apply it are two different things that a lot of people cannot put into practice. What separates players like Lebron and Kobe from other mid tier stars is their level on how they can read the game and react immediately and counter things on the fly.
Bishop45
RealGM
And1: 109,872

Post#316 » by Bishop45 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:15 pm

lets go op
Long Live Winnie. Mamba siempre

Rest in Power Chadwick

#PeaceinGaza #FreedomforPalestine
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 72,352

Post#317 » by Wiltside » Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:58 am

Crazy that the Heat were running the second unit O through Jaquez in the mid/high post. And it worked beautifully. All 3 of his buckets were seriously tough too. We got a good one here guys.

Would love to see Jaquez and Jovic second unit. Two guys you can run the O through, unselfish, can spot up and also get downhill.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
Pokuokic
Senior
And1: 932

Post#318 » by Pokuokic » Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:32 am

Jaquez looks like a beast, I reckon Duran in a year or two will be a elite big man or close to it.
heat4life
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 6,258

Post#319 » by heat4life » Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:04 am

Good first steps for Jaquez. Promising but far from a finished product. I want to see him after January, when the game starts to speed up for young players and defenses have some notes on new players. My thinking is that JJJ and Nico will alternate games based on who’s hot and who’s struggling. I doubt we’ll see both play together.
ROAD TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP

Return to Miami Heat