ImageImageImage

Heat vs Thunder 1/10/24 @ 730 PM EST

Moderators: KingDavid, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ

oreon
Analyst
And1: 6,284

Re: Heat vs Thunder 1/10/24 @ 730 PM EST 

Post#221 » by oreon » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:04 am

Wiltside wrote:Woy and gets swatted at the end as a final death knell.

Whiffy game from Tyler tonight. 17pts on 21 shots, albeit he was a +9 overall...

OKC went on that run to win the game with Herro on the bench. He got subbed back in with I tink 13 point or 16 point deficit.
So his shot selection especially in final 6 mins not great but Loss wasn't on him.
In fact I wouldn't put it on anyone. OKC was healthy and was just better than us.
IceColdCubano
General Manager
And1: 16,989

Post#222 » by IceColdCubano » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:04 am

I just don't feel like were gonna be that much better with Mitchell to be honest, we need something else. Donovan Mitchell is shooting a worse 3pt percentage, identical FG%, about the same amount of steals and rebounds, and half an assist more than Tyler Herro. He scores 4 and half more ppg's because he gets to the line a bit more, and is athletic/slasher I just don't see the allure. He ins't that much better, I mean he should he is 27. Herro is 23 years old, the only shooting guard in the league at the moment that is Herro's age or younger with a better efficiency and PER is Anthony Edwards.

I just looked up Donovans 23 year old stats, It's like I am watching a worse Tyler Herro with overall worse stats with 1.7 more free attempts scoring 22ppg on bad efficiency.
Bmaster
Sophomore
And1: 248

Post#223 » by Bmaster » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:05 am

Wiltside wrote:On the positive side, Niko was 15/5/4/1/1 on 5-8fg, 3-5 3's and a team high +13

He played a nice game in first half, but second half hero tried to be hero and failed. I like idea trading hero.
Beenie
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,501

Post#224 » by Beenie » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:05 am

Wiltside wrote:Woy and gets swatted at the end as a final death knell.

Whiffy game from Tyler tonight. 17pts on 21 shots, albeit he was a +9 overall...

Way too much handling.

Guys are out so it’s needed tonight, but it’s a problem none the less.

He’s not a good dribbler/ decision maker.

Needs to be off the ball or off the team, is where I’m at.
oreon
Analyst

Post#225 » by oreon » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:07 am

dolphinatik wrote:
oreon wrote:Its insane to think SGA is already a MVP candidate but in 2- 3 years Chet gonna be better than him while SGA is in his prime. If Chet stays healthy OKC should be a dynasty otherwise it's a failure. I don't how they had KD, Westbrook, Harden, Ibaka and never won a chip. Its never talked how they botched that era

Been impressed with Chet for a long time. His attitude is top notch. gets pushed around yet still battles every play. Chet is all business, impressive really. He is a machine.

Sometimes I wish we'd go the tanking route. I like Bam and our pics. But nothing like watching and routing for a hall fame MVP talent that you drafted as they develop through their career
dshearn
Sixth Man
And1: 2,967

Post#226 » by dshearn » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:08 am

gom wrote:Damn! This OKC team is very very good.

yeah man...

I like the way they play....likable dudes....and very very solid talent.
Beenie
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,501

Post#227 » by Beenie » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:09 am

IceColdCubano wrote:I just don't feel like were gonna be that much better with Mitchell to be honest, we need something else. Donovan Mitchell is shooting a worse 3pt percentage, identical FG%, about the same amount of steals and rebounds, and half an assist more than Tyler Herro. He scores 4 and half more ppg's because he gets to the line a bit more, and is athletic/slasher I just don't see the allure. He ins't that much better, I mean he should he is 27. Herro is 23 years old, the only shooting guard in the league at the moment that is Herro's age or younger with a better efficiency and PER is Anthony Edwards.

Mitchell a much better handler, quicker, and can finish at the rim.

It’s an easy swap for me conceptually but the actual price to do this trade would still need to be within reason.
Bmaster
Sophomore
And1: 248

Post#228 » by Bmaster » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:09 am

Beenie wrote:

Feel same way
oreon
Analyst

Post#229 » by oreon » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:12 am

Bmaster wrote:
Beenie wrote:

Feel same way

Which he will be mostly when Butler and Lowry are back. His role is expanded out of necessity. And we've been doing more than stay afloat. So its not something to freak out about. The only concerning this is Butler, if he's still out by start of Feb then I'd start to be worried
IceColdCubano
General Manager

Post#230 » by IceColdCubano » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:13 am

Beenie wrote:
IceColdCubano wrote:I just don't feel like were gonna be that much better with Mitchell to be honest, we need something else. Donovan Mitchell is shooting a worse 3pt percentage, identical FG%, about the same amount of steals and rebounds, and half an assist more than Tyler Herro. He scores 4 and half more ppg's because he gets to the line a bit more, and is athletic/slasher I just don't see the allure. He ins't that much better, I mean he should he is 27. Herro is 23 years old, the only shooting guard in the league at the moment that is Herro's age or younger with a better efficiency and PER is Anthony Edwards.

Mitchell a much better handler, quicker, and can finish at the rim.

It’s an easy swap for me conceptually but the actual price to do this trade would still need to be within reason.

Looking at his statistics and what he was doing at age 23, the better handler, quicker, and can finish still isn't translating into that much better of a player. Your trading a stylisticly more aggressive slasher for a better perimeter shooter that still manages to have identical FG% with a slightly higher free throw rate, and not that much higher either, not Jimmy ish. Like just meh higher.
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM
And1: 36,134

Post#231 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:15 am

I just looked up Donovans 23 year old stats, It's like I am watching a worse Tyler Herro with overall worse stats with 1.7 more free attempts scoring 22ppg on bad efficiency.

He’s far better, it’s deeper than statistics. It’s not even close
#FreeBam
IceColdCubano
General Manager

Post#232 » by IceColdCubano » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:21 am

3ammy3uck3ts wrote:

That isn't selling me or our Front office. Its deeper than statistics its not even close??? lol, he didn't do anything in Utah, and hasn't done anything in Cleveland. He is a 6'-1 small guard with a good wingspan that is athletic, and has had big high scoring games. Its the slashing version of jordan poole.

We need an SGA, Anthony Edwards, Luka Doncic level player not a donovan Mitchell. Or a Superstar Wing, Forward, Center those guys win you chips. last time small guard was responsible for championships his name was Steph Curry out side of that, Issaih Thomas was the next you, small guards get evicerated in the playoffs, even more so when they don't have a jumper.
Umbooki
RealGM
And1: 29,824

Post#233 » by Umbooki » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:26 am

I love me some Caleb, but with Niko’s emergence…
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#234 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:28 am

IceColdCubano wrote:
3ammy3uck3ts wrote:

That isn't selling me or our Front office. Its deeper than statistics its not even close??? lol, he didn't do anything in Utah, and hasn't done anything in Cleveland. He is a 6'-1 small guard with a good wingspan that is athletic, and has had big high scoring games. Its the slashing version of jordan poole.

We need an SGA, Anthony Edwards, Luka Doncic level player not a donovan Mitchell. Or a Superstar Wing, Forward, Center those guys win you chips. last time small guard was responsible for championships his name was Steph Curry out side of that, Issaih Thomas was the next you, small guards get evicerated in the playoffs, even more so when they don't have a jumper.

Uhhhh he did far more in Utah than Herro has done in his entire career and he did it as the lead guy of the team lol. You comparing simple box score statistics based on certain ages (Herro at 22 >>>> Wade at 22 I guess) of our 3rd best player to the best player on the Jazz/Cavs who is defended far differently and depended on for far more.

He’s the slashing version of Jordan Poole? Good god lol.

I don’t need to sell you and I don’t need to sell the front office. If the Cavs called and said “hey well give you Mitchell for Herro straight up” the deal would be done in an instant lol.

We’ve got our lead guy for the playoffs in Jimmy who has great size, now we need an elite 3 level scorer from the guard position. We’re not asking Mitchell to be THE guy but his skillset is necessary to put us over the top.

Mitchell >>> Herro it’s not even close.
#FreeBam
IceColdCubano
General Manager

Post#235 » by IceColdCubano » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:31 am

3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
IceColdCubano wrote:
3ammy3uck3ts wrote:

Uhhhh he did far more in Utah than Herro has done in his entire career and he did it as the lead guy of the team lol. You comparing simple box score statistics based on certain ages (Herro at 22 >>>> Wade at 22 I guess) of our 3rd best player to the best player on the Jazz/Cavs who is defended far differently and depended on for far more.

I don’t need to sell you and I don’t need to sell the front office. If the Cavs called and said “hey well give you Mitchell for Herro straight up” the deal would be done in an instant lol.

We’ve got our lead guy for the playoffs in Jimmy who has great size, now we need an elite 3 level scorer from the guard position. We’re not asking Mitchell to be THE guy but his skillset is necessary to put us over the top.

Its the not even close that gets me. Its actually close, Im not saying Herro is better Im saying that the difference that your expecting is not as big as your making it out to be. Hell the Miami Heat thought the same thing in the first go around going after him, they didn't think He was that much better than Herro were they had to put multiple picks to get.

You cannot compare what a player has done to date at age 27 when one player just hit age 23, no comp players at the same age is to see where they stack. Using Dwade as comp for age is dumb because Wade was drafted as later in his years he wasn't drafted young like Herro. So obviously it would take Wade a couple years more to enter his rapid ascension.

Read on Twitter
TroubleS0me
General Manager
And1: 5,402

Post#236 » by TroubleS0me » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:36 am

Spo lost his girl & the game why?
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#237 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:46 am

IceColdCubano wrote:
3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
IceColdCubano wrote:

Its the not even close that gets me. Its actually close, Im not saying Herro is better Im saying that the difference that your expecting is not as big as your making it out to be. Hell the Miami Heat thought the same thing in the first go around going after him, they didn't think He was that much better than Herro were they had to put multiple picks to get.

You cannot compare what a player has done to date at age 27 when one player just hit age 23, no comp players at the same age is to see where they stack. Using Dwade as comp for age is dumb because Wade was drafted as later in his years he wasn't drafted young like Herro. So obviously it would take Wade a couple years more to enter his rapid ascension.

Read on Twitter

I’m saying it’s not close because it isn’t close. It takes maybe a few minutes of watching Mitchell to see how far superior of a talent he is compared to Herro. Watch a little basketball outside of the Heat; it will do you some good.

Heat wanted to pair the 2, Pat Riley always tries to finesse but he wasn’t pulling that on Danny Ainge. I stand by my statement if the Cavs called right now and offered Mitchell for Herro straight up the Heat are taking it without hesitation. Herro would also slightly fall off as a player and Mitchell would get better due to the Spo effect further widening the gap between the 2 players.

It’s not close, it’s time you all take the homer goggles off for this dude. He just isn’t it regardless of what elite players you all try to compare him to at a certain age or however good he was that one game of the ECF his rookie season. That’s not him. Mitchell is that guy, Mitchell is the big game performer that can carry the load if needed.
#FreeBam
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 72,351

Post#238 » by Wiltside » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:55 am

Niko's last 4 since starting:

9.75 ppg
6.25 rpg
3.00 apg
0.75 bpg
1.00 spg
0.75 tpg
26.50 mpg

14/31 FG = 45.0%
8/18 3FG = 44.0%
3/6 FT = 50.0%

Hopefully he can continue the improvement, although I expect Caleb back shortly.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,525

Post#239 » by twix2500 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:15 am

This team needs defense. The defense was so bad that they went to zone and it got shredded easily

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
SerialChiller
Head Coach
And1: 11,320

Post#240 » by SerialChiller » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:00 am

Hero shooting last 5 games:

7/21 (33%)
10/20 (50%)
4/17 (23%)
7/19 (36%)
4/13 (30%)

all while only averaging 2 FTA per game yikes....

Return to Miami Heat