OT: Video Games/Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,184

Re: OT: Video Games/Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos 

Post#1961 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:06 am

Stellar Blade wasn't really on my radar but it got the stamp of approval from some Youtubers I generally trust. I've played a bit of it before and after the draft tonight. I think it might be really good but I'm not sold yet.
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,969

Post#1962 » by Prez » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:05 am

Tried Sekiro again, the combat/parrying in particular finally clicked and I made it past the part of the game that made me ragequit last time lol. One of those games that kinda blows until you git gud, then it's dope.
tydett
General Manager
And1: 6,937

Post#1963 » by tydett » Wed May 1, 2024 2:52 pm

Finally after 80 hours finished with Rebirth. The ending

Spoiler:
will be criticized, I know, but it still got me in the feels about Aerith. I know there will be many who don't like multiverses (again) for very valid reasons, but the last few scenes between Cloud and Aerith were still powerful

Now to get ready for FF7 Reloaded on the Playstation 6 in 7 years.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1964 » by ReasonablySober » Sat May 4, 2024 3:32 am

Read on Twitter

Glad it's not just me that's noticed the drought.

If you go by my list of recently played it's:

Dark Souls Remastered
Wasteland 3
Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Terraria
Fight Night Champion

Great games, but yikes.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,750

Post#1965 » by MikeIsGood » Sat May 4, 2024 1:58 pm

One thing I lament about gaming currently is how freaking esoteric everything is, making it hard to pick things back up after having put them down for a while. I've wanted to go back to FF7R2 for weeks now since getting back from Italy, and I keep bouncing off it because there's 700 systems I don't remember and I'm in the middle of the game when you're expected to have them all down.

Trying to spend more time with it today/this weekend to bring my literal memory and muscle memory back, but this is why Path of Exile (extremely, extremely esoteric but I've played it so long and so much that I don't lose the feeling), Cities Skylines (just build a city 4head), and cozy games like Stardew Valley are so appealing often. I guess this is all to say that, as time has become harder to come by for me to just sitdown for hours on end for weeks on end, the ability to pick up and play has become more valued.
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,759

Post#1966 » by Licensed to Il » Sun May 5, 2024 2:03 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

Dark Souls Remastered
Wasteland 3
Terraria
Fight Night Champion

Great games, but yikes.

Fight Night Champion is a “goat game” discussion. It was so perfect, in how every offensive move had a defensive counter. Gameplay was so balanced, so perfect. I played it probably 100 hours. They even got the greats just right. I miss that game so much, and have been waiting for another EA boxing game ever since.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1967 » by ReasonablySober » Sun May 5, 2024 2:22 am

Licensed to Il wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

Dark Souls Remastered
Wasteland 3
Terraria
Fight Night Champion

Great games, but yikes.

Fight Night Champion is a “goat game” discussion. It was so perfect, in how every offensive move had a defensive counter. Gameplay was so balanced, so perfect. I played it probably 100 hours. They even got the greats just right. I miss that game so much, and have been waiting for another EA boxing game ever since.

I think it's also the only good story mode EA's ever made in a sports game. I've definitely played through it half a dozen times over the years.

It's crazy that EA hasn't been able to follow up since it came out in 2011.
Ryan5UW
General Manager
And1: 1,029

Post#1968 » by Ryan5UW » Sun May 5, 2024 2:44 am

MikeIsGood wrote:One thing I lament about gaming currently is how freaking esoteric everything is, making it hard to pick things back up after having put them down for a while. I've wanted to go back to FF7R2 for weeks now since getting back from Italy, and I keep bouncing off it because there's 700 systems I don't remember and I'm in the middle of the game when you're expected to have them all down.

Trying to spend more time with it today/this weekend to bring my literal memory and muscle memory back, but this is why Path of Exile (extremely, extremely esoteric but I've played it so long and so much that I don't lose the feeling), Cities Skylines (just build a city 4head), and cozy games like Stardew Valley are so appealing often. I guess this is all to say that, as time has become harder to come by for me to just sitdown for hours on end for weeks on end, the ability to pick up and play has become more valued.

This is why I’ve racked up a ton of time playing PGA Tour - if I haven’t played for a week or two it doesn’t matter at all and I don’t have to spend a few frustrating hours trying to figure it all out again.
"It's an illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money."
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1969 » by MikeIsGood » Sun May 5, 2024 1:30 pm

Ryan5UW wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:One thing I lament about gaming currently is how freaking esoteric everything is, making it hard to pick things back up after having put them down for a while. I've wanted to go back to FF7R2 for weeks now since getting back from Italy, and I keep bouncing off it because there's 700 systems I don't remember and I'm in the middle of the game when you're expected to have them all down.

This is why I’ve racked up a ton of time playing PGA Tour - if I haven’t played for a week or two it doesn’t matter at all and I don’t have to spend a few frustrating hours trying to figure it all out again.

I love so much about that game, but not being able to play 2 round tournaments really turned me off. I actually fired it up yesterday to see if they'd fixed it in the past year, and was sad to see they hadn't. 1 (too few) and 4 (way too many for me) both kind of make career mode hard for me to play.

On the same line, though, I decided to fire Super Mega Baseball back up to get a new season going. After a few games, I saw SMB4 was on deep sale so I picked it up and was pleasantly surprised there's now a franchise mode. So this will be a good distraction through baseball season.
Ryan5UW
General Manager

Post#1970 » by Ryan5UW » Sun May 5, 2024 2:56 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:
Ryan5UW wrote:

I love so much about that game, but not being able to play 2 round tournaments really turned me off. I actually fired it up yesterday to see if they'd fixed it in the past year, and was sad to see they hadn't. 1 (too few) and 4 (way too many for me) both kind of make career mode hard for me to play.

On the same line, though, I decided to fire Super Mega Baseball back up to get a new season going. After a few games, I saw SMB4 was on deep sale so I picked it up and was pleasantly surprised there's now a franchise mode. So this will be a good distraction through baseball season.

I agree about 2 round tournaments, that would be a nice option. I thought they had even advertised that at one point. I tried the quick round thing where it sims part of the round and drops you in to play a few holes the crappy sim scores I got annoyed me lol
machu46
RealGM
And1: 3,684

Post#1971 » by machu46 » Sun May 5, 2024 5:23 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:
Ryan5UW wrote:

SMB3 had franchise too I believe but it might have been patched in post-release. SMB4 has eclipsed The Show as the best baseball game on the market I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1972 » by ReasonablySober » Sun May 5, 2024 5:30 pm

machu46 wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:
Ryan5UW wrote:

SMB3 had franchise too I believe but it might have been patched in post-release. SMB4 has eclipsed The Show as the best baseball game on the market I think.

Don't those games use fake players, though?
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1973 » by MikeIsGood » Sun May 5, 2024 6:22 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
machu46 wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:

Correct, although SMB4 has a large roster of retired legends (incl. Yount, Fingers). The Show owns exclusive rights to the MLBPA...which is the dumbest thing sports gaming ever did (see: Madden, NBA2k).

There's a great player editor, but no ability to load rosters from others that I can see, so you either recreate the Brewers, every team (lol), or just accept it. I've just accepted it and never personally minded. I still get attached to my players.

The gameplay is super solid without being mechanically overwhelming. Reminds me of Extra Innings from back in the SNES days. It's not a total simulation, but it's a lot closer to a sim than it is arcade game. It plays fast, though. I love that I can crank through a game in ~20 minutes of fast action.

ETA: Ope, looks like Braun is a legend also.
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,969

Post#1974 » by Prez » Sun May 5, 2024 8:17 pm

Demon of Hatred is beating my ass like I owe it money right now in Sekiro. I will not ragequit this game again. I will not ragequit this game again. I will not ragequit this game again. I will not ragequi
machu46
RealGM
And1: 3,684

Post#1975 » by machu46 » Sun May 5, 2024 8:23 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
machu46 wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:

As MiG said, it's fake players and retired players. The rosters are really great though. Some punny names, unique skillsets, etc. that make it really fun to build a team and make it your own league.
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,947

Post#1976 » by jschligs » Mon May 6, 2024 2:07 pm

Anyone ever play Grounded? Downloaded it on Gamepass as I have some days off coming up and looking for a new game. Played for 15 minutes seems fine. Desperately need something to soak my time coming up.
Ryan5UW
General Manager

Post#1977 » by Ryan5UW » Mon May 6, 2024 3:00 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

This made me track down the game pictured in that tweet (Manor Lords) - it looks really cool! I've really gotten into city builders, but I think I'm going to give it a try.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,338

Post#1978 » by crkone » Mon May 6, 2024 5:35 pm

Hades 2 early access is out. FYI it's very polished already.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |

Return to Milwaukee Bucks