Head Coach
And1: 148

Draft Review 

Post#1 » by GRADEN » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:20 am

Selection #39

Ranked 21st
My take: Good value

Alexander Debrincat - RW 5'7 / 165
-Undersized but with tremendous production in a tough league. 50+ goals / 100+ points back to back in OHL. Darts into open space with quick release and makes decisive moves with no wasted actions. Scorers edge and shows a frame to carry weight albeit at a diminutive stature

Selection #45

Ranked 53rd
My take: IMO ranked too high

Chad Krys - D 5'11 / 185
- Average sized, high IQ mover that will learn a ton at BU for 3-4 years. Shows good skating and decision making but IMO plays a little tight and passes on open shooting lanes. High character kid with a bright future in life, maybe not the NHL. D

Selection #50

Ranked 14th
My take: My view is 50 is accurate.

Artur Kayumov LW - 5'11 / 171
-Fast riser on boards due to a tenacious attitude towards competition. Artur is a kid that you love on your team and a guy that will irk his opponent. He will bull rush into scoring positions and plays all out each shift. Actually reminds me of Andrew Shaw a little bit whom we just lost. Im not sure his skill will get him to the NHL, but his effort might.

Selection #83

6th ranked goalie
My take: I thought he'd be selected 35-45 range

Wouter Peeters - 6'4 / 205
- Excellent prospect! 6th ranked goalie and just 17! 6'3-4 and could easily grow into a 6'5 230 22 year old when he is ready. Shows post to post IQ, appropriate balance and decision making when attacked and good assistance in crease. Lacks glove work and high and heavy blue line awarness. Kid will be a #1 and easily the best goalie prospect we've drafted. Keep in mind at 17 they bumped him to the under 20!

Selection #110

Ranked 15 in the ES field...
My take: Looked like a 3rd rounder so good value.

Lucas Carlsson - 6' / 189
- A more advanced goal scoring defenseman that scores high corner post to corner post. Has good skating motion and has gained considerable strength the past 2 years. Really came onto the radar for most in Deggendorf tourny. Really shows an NHL caliber blue line shot as well as an NHL build. Not a puck mover or pursuit artist, defensive stick appears average and positioning needs refinement. 19 years old with many years under good coaches.

Selection #113

Ranked 171
My take: honestly thought he plateaued...Thought 6th-7th round for him

Nathan Noel - C/RW - 5'10 / 189
- Stays home last 3 seasons in the Q and lives up to high expectations as an all around center. May be holed into center but perhaps devoting his game to just shooting from a RW slot is best. Has good traits, but i think higher competition may swallow him up a bit at first.

Selection #143

26 ranked guy that fell a lot due to his inability to get shots off against better comp. instead developed overall game more.
My take: Great value here

Mathias From - RW, maybe even D - 6'1 / 187
-Danish skater went from goal scorer with an advanced straight line quick release to a more refined well rounded player. A lot to like here, will carry muscle well and is a team first winner. Could be a pretty good two way RW guy in 2 years if he continues to expand his game. Kid really looks the part... LW RW

Selection #173

Should have been undrafted.

Blake Hillman D - 6'1 / 180
- Wasted pick... Over-aged player with good size and physical nature but limited with puck and position IQ. Slow to commit and is unsure of development when attacked. Will never make an NHL roster.

Selection #203

Ranked 114...
Consistent try hard kid loves hockey, good value this late.

Jake Ryczek D - 5'10
- Loves hockey, town and team and is a pure example of heart over talent. Should make any roster better. Excellent balance and angles... Good refinement in making mg quick decisions and looks for openings both on pass and shot. Will make a great coach one day. Stature and overall skill are adequate but not top shelf in any manner. Will take many years but has an out side chance at the NHL.
GRADEN
Head Coach

Re: Draft Review 

Post#2 » by GRADEN » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:17 pm

So my overview is we were really hit or miss here with the draft.... Pick 1 is a no question gamble but a good one... Superior talent, just really small... If he were 5'10 even he wouldn't escape the top 10. I really like Peeters and From as guys that will reach the NHL with our club... every one else is just meh to ummm what. Hillman is a real reach, I have no idea why he was drafted... Ryczek and Noel are going to be amazing teammates in Rockford but are very unlikely to ever get to the bigs... Carlsson is about a 50/50 guy to making the NHL but if I had to guess he is going to be a good trade chip in 3 years and make a different clubs team / just not ours.

Not a fan of the Krys pick, but who knows... he is a bit timid to me. AKay is a squeaky wheel and somehow he is going to make it to the NHL just it may be 50/50 if with us or another team.

IF I had to guess Id say From / Peeters make it with us... Debrincat / Kayumov / Carlsson make it with others and the rest never make it to the league. 5/9 picks on defense btw.
ADDinChicago
Analyst
And1: 757

Post#3 » by ADDinChicago » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:40 am

This usually how Stan Bowman drafts. I expect it every year. Some value here, some risks there, and so on, and usually trading back or out on day 1 and loading up on day 2.

I'd be totally lying if I said I knew anything about these players' actual pre-NHL draft play, though. But as usual, nothing grabs you and says "OMG, I can't wait til they join the Hawks". Stick to the overseas guys and getting castoffs. That's the Hawks' bread and butter for the most part the last few years.
GRADEN
Head Coach

Post#4 » by GRADEN » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:05 am

Yea I hear ya... I honestly look at 3-4 of these guys and scream well shoot he drafted them for Rockford trade value...

I love From and Peeters. These 2 guys could be really really good. Debrincat is a special talent, there is NO other way to put it,..... But 37 times he was passed so his stature is a worry ya know. Good thing is we will know that answer because he is only a 1-1.5 years away from being ready... He already carries 165-170 on 5'7 and looks strong. He should be pretty darn good day 1 in rock.

Peeters... I mean I know goalies went late this draft.. But we stole this kid at 83
GRADEN
Head Coach

Post#5 » by GRADEN » Fri Jul 1, 2016 6:48 pm

Found a site that compiled 11 sites ratings and Debrincat ranked 22 and was the first player in the tier 3 of ratings grouped by how they saw their NHL futures... Tier 1 star tier 2 top 2 line pairings tier 3 long time NHL veteran between 2nd and 3rd line

And also fwiw I would have taken Laine over Matthews in a heartbeat... He is like a 6'4 Stamkos... He is legimately going to be a point a game guy from day 1 and for a decade... Matthews will be great but I think Laine is an all time type of talent... He has that mean edge too, will go after all the best guys

Return to Chicago Blackhawks