Moderator: Mr Swagtastic

ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Return of McCarty?????!!!! 

Post#1 » by ajaX82 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:43 pm

http://blog.mlive.com/redwingsinsider/2 ... and_r.html

The Wings have offered Darren McCarty a pro tryout contract with the Grand Rapids Griffins. He's expected to accept it once he gains clearance from the NHL. McCarty had spent the last three weeks with the IHL's Flint Generals. This 25-game pro tryout contract is the next step in what he hopes will be a return to the NHL.

"He's done in Flint. He wants to go to the next level,'' Wings general manager Ken Holland said. "He's basically gone through a three-week training camp. We told him we'd evaluate him if and when he showed up in the AHL. I think he can help Grand Rapids. That team needs a shot in the arm.

It's still unlikely that the Wings will sign McCarty. Asked what he must show in the AHL to earn a chance in Detroit, Holland said, "That his speed is up to the pace of the game, and passion and focus.''

One of my favorite Wings ever, a true Detroiter. Id love his toughness, personality and fighting back in the D
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,208

Post#2 » by Mr Swagtastic » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:51 pm

Happy to see him back in Detroit he's a true Red Wing with alot of gritt and toughness for the young kids in Grand Rapids.
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 208

Post#3 » by TNBT » Fri Feb 1, 2008 2:17 am

This is great news. I was a huge D-Mac fan back in the day, and I was so p*ssed when we had to cut him. It would be great to have him back in the red and white along with guys like Drake and Downey. Even if he doesn't make it past the AHL though, hopefully he should be able to teach the next generation of enforcers (Ericsson, Quincey, etc) a thing or two about toughness.

Return to Detroit Red Wings