12 years for Mr. Zetterberg

Too long, but he is a Wing for life. Price isnt terrible. Im content

Discuss
Raps12
Junior
And1: 4

Re: Z for 12 

Post#2 » by Raps12 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:16 pm

Any deal longer than 5-6 years is too long imo. Too many things can go wrong. But for the price we got him for, especially after tacking those extra couple years on to bring down the cap hit. I'll take it
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,208

Post#3 » by Mr Swagtastic » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:31 pm

Raps12 wrote:Any deal longer than 5-6 years is too long imo. Too many things can go wrong. But for the price we got him for, especially after tacking those extra couple years on to bring down the cap hit. I'll take it

So Ovechkin for 10+ is a bad thing? Ovie is a great player and in this new NHL you need all the help you can get. Z for 12 is well worth it to me, We have a team/organization that wants to win and knows how to do so. I don't think his contract is a bad thing look at what we do people thought the "new NHL" would be the end of us and then look at we did. If we resign Hossa + the roster we have I could see at least 1-2 more cups when Nik retires. Look at our goalie situation in the last 10+ years name 2 true starters? You can only name 1 Dom Hasek and he was considered over the hill. Guys like Ozzie, Vernon, Cujo and Conklin \have all had huge success in our system. Look at Manny Legace for example he was passed over because he was full of himself and then St. Louis wanted a look and no look at him he would be lucky to be a 2nd stringer here next year. I would look at Gerber and possibly Telquist if I were Holland both look like they can hold their own with a good team. I think Gerber would do well here since we have a great defensive core.

Thats my 2 cents on the matter keep hatting non Wings fans we love it!!
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 208

Post#4 » by TNBT » Sat May 16, 2009 6:12 am

I don't know where these people are coming from calling this a bad contract. When you have a superstar player like Hank willing to sign long-term at a price like that, you have to take it.
Raps12
Junior
And1: 4

Post#5 » by Raps12 » Sun May 17, 2009 3:24 am

xbl_sucks wrote:
Raps12 wrote:Any deal longer than 5-6 years is too long imo. Too many things can go wrong. But for the price we got him for, especially after tacking those extra couple years on to bring down the cap hit. I'll take it

So Ovechkin for 10+ is a bad thing? Ovie is a great player and in this new NHL you need all the help you can get. Z for 12 is well worth it to me, We have a team/organization that wants to win and knows how to do so. I don't think his contract is a bad thing look at what we do people thought the "new NHL" would be the end of us and then look at we did. If we resign Hossa + the roster we have I could see at least 1-2 more cups when Nik retires. Look at our goalie situation in the last 10+ years name 2 true starters? You can only name 1 Dom Hasek and he was considered over the hill. Guys like Ozzie, Vernon, Cujo and Conklin \have all had huge success in our system. Look at Manny Legace for example he was passed over because he was full of himself and then St. Louis wanted a look and no look at him he would be lucky to be a 2nd stringer here next year. I would look at Gerber and possibly Telquist if I were Holland both look like they can hold their own with a good team. I think Gerber would do well here since we have a great defensive core.

Thats my 2 cents on the matter keep hatting non Wings fans we love it!!

Funny thing is ma, I am a Wings fan haha

Your argument about our system is not related to anything I was saying. I just believe that a contract of that length to any player in any sport is absolutely ridiculous. There are too many issues that could arise injuries, skill drop off, etc etc
NBA74
Junior
And1: 0

Post#6 » by NBA74 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:10 pm

thats like kobe playing for 10 million a year instead of 24...
Rodya
Starter
And1: 16

Post#7 » by Rodya » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:11 pm

Zetterberg was worth whatever Holland offered him. Who cares if it's a 12 year contract? Even if he doesn't fulfill his contract and retires before its end, it'll come right off the books. On the other hand, we're guaranteed to have him until his last game. I have no qualms with that.

Return to Detroit Red Wings