Habs off-season - 2010

Moderator: Morris_Shatford

Vik Rude
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Re: Habs off-season - 2010 

Post#21 » by Vik Rude » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:41 am

Snayr wrote:Rumblings of Simon Gagne possibly headed to the Habs. We'd have to clear some capspace by moving Hammer or something, but it would be pretty awesome, so long as he doesn't get any more concussions.

I'd love to see Gagne on this team but only if the price is right.
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 208

Post#22 » by TNBT » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:30 am

Snayr wrote:Rumblings of Simon Gagne possibly headed to the Habs. We'd have to clear some capspace by moving Hammer or something, but it would be pretty awesome, so long as he doesn't get any more concussions.

This is funny, because I started a thread on the Philly board earlier today asking what they would reasonably expect from us in return for Gagne. I was wondering why we apparently hadn't been in contact with them about a trade, so I figured I would start a thread about a trade just to see what happens. After I do that, a few hours later it is reported that there is some interest in the deal. Maybe I should go to the Pens board and start a thread about them trading us Crosby for some scrub, and see if that comes true as well. :lol:
Vik Rude
Sixth Man

Post#23 » by Vik Rude » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:42 pm

Just saw on the Score ticker that the Habs will announce a new captain before the season begins.
Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4

Post#24 » by Snayr » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:11 am

Well, I mean they went a whole freakin' season without a Captain, they BETTER name one before the start of this one.
Montreal Canadiens Fan | Toronto Raptors Fan | Montreal Alouettes Fan - Proud to be Canadian!!
sh00n
RealGM
And1: 1,969

Post#25 » by sh00n » Thu Aug 5, 2010 5:43 am

I'll be royally pissed if Markov is named captain. Why name a guy who barely even stays on the ice anymore? I say give it to Cammalleri, Gionta, or my choice - Gorges, give the A's to the other two, and trade Markov at the deadline.
Support your local artist, kids: http://www.katsenhakeron.com
@katsenhaker0n on the bird app
Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by Snayr » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:21 am

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm? ... L|MTL|home << Desjardins traded to lightning for Ramo. Not sure how I feel about this.
Montreal Canadiens Fan | Toronto Raptors Fan | Montreal Alouettes Fan - Proud to be Canadian!!
sh00n
RealGM

Post#27 » by sh00n » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:23 am

Meh. People overrated Desjardins like it was going out of style. But Ramo is a Vesa Toskala clone so I'm pretty indifferent to the whole thing. As long as Price gets re-signed, I could care less which other goalies are coming in and out of Montreal.
sh00n
RealGM

Post#28 » by sh00n » Thu Sep 2, 2010 8:57 pm

Carey re-signs for two years! :D

Now if only we traded Markov for something good this off-season would be perfect.
Vik Rude
Sixth Man

Post#29 » by Vik Rude » Sun Sep 5, 2010 7:35 pm

^ word.
Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by Snayr » Mon Sep 6, 2010 2:56 pm

I don't really want to trade Markov personally, I'd just like to see cap space cleared up by getting rid of Hammer and Spacek.
sh00n
RealGM

Post#31 » by sh00n » Mon Sep 6, 2010 11:52 pm

We're not going to get anything for Hammer and he's more valuable to this team than he would be to anyone else, sadly. We're probably better off just letting him expire and re-signing him. As for Markov, the dude cannot stay healthy and will probably want 6-7 million per on his new contract. There's no way in hell I would ever pay him that much, especially since we're so cap starved already and both PK and Gorges are expiring next summer, along with Laps and others.

Worst case scenario, I'd ****ing love to see us just let Markov walk and use the money on Shea Weber instead.
ygrr
Junior
And1: 0

Post#32 » by ygrr » Wed Sep 8, 2010 3:34 pm

Long time no chat with you guys,
what a rush it was last year,
looking forward to this year!
I have to agree on the Markov comment, he is injury prone!
The sad part is that we can all forget about Shea Webber because there is no way he will be leaving his team soon. He was named captain of the team and he’s the franchise of this team.
I don’t expect many trades in the next weeks but the success of this team will rely on

1:Carey Price (Hate him or love him)
              2:Markov (We did miss his presence in the late run last year)
              3: The third line, I say we need a good third line in order to succeed this year (Lars Eller maybe  :o

Ps: Gorges for captain! Yes :D
sh00n
RealGM

Post#33 » by sh00n » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:42 am

ygrr wrote:Ps: Gorges for captain! Yes :D

No truer words were ever spoken. As much as I like Gionta, I want Gorges to be the captain of our team. If Markov gets it I'm going to be so ****ing mad; he isn't a leader. And if Gorges doesn't get it, the only other guy I'd want to see wear it is Cammo, with Gorges and Gionta as A's.
Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by Snayr » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:36 pm

Gorges is my pick as well for C! I kinda like Gionta as well for C, and can't go wrong with Cammy either. So many viable options now! :)
Weiwuer
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#35 » by Weiwuer » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:52 am

Building on last season's success

Canadiens' Cammalleri says team now has an identity and knows what it takes to win

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/B ... story.html
No more choking.
vinsanity09
Pro Prospect
And1: 203

Post#36 » by vinsanity09 » Fri Oct 8, 2010 2:20 am

Gill pinching :nonono:

Spacek getting rocked just like in preseason :nonono:
GnarlesOakley
Lead Assistant
And1: 253

Post#37 » by GnarlesOakley » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:49 pm

What's with the Markov hate? He's been injured a lot recently and we have to see how he does when he comes back to see how much money he deserves, but he's hands down the best defender this team has until Subban develops, and one of the elite PP QBs in the NHL. Just look at how pathetic we are on the PP without him. Just because his English isn't great he isn't a leader? Players are always saying that when he talks in the dressing room, people listen. He might not be as tough or outspoken as others and I like Gionta getting the C over him but I can't believe Habs fans can dislike the man.

Here's Carey Price saying how Markov ripped into him when he wasn't putting in the effort:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYzA0oG1 ... r_embedded
sh00n
RealGM

Post#38 » by sh00n » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:53 am

GnarlesOakley wrote:What's with the Markov hate? He's been injured a lot recently and we have to see how he does when he comes back to see how much money he deserves, but he's hands down the best defender this team has until Subban develops, and one of the elite PP QBs in the NHL. Just look at how pathetic we are on the PP without him. Just because his English isn't great he isn't a leader? Players are always saying that when he talks in the dressing room, people listen. He might not be as tough or outspoken as others and I like Gionta getting the C over him but I can't believe Habs fans can dislike the man.

Here's Carey Price saying how Markov ripped into him when he wasn't putting in the effort:

It's more the fact that he called out Price and then the night after let two guys beat him and score goals consecutively. If he's going to call out someone for not working hard he shouldn't be the laziest POS on the ice most nights. There's no way he should ever be given the C and I still think Gorges should've been given the A before him.
GnarlesOakley
Lead Assistant
And1: 253

Post#39 » by GnarlesOakley » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:41 am

sh00n wrote:
GnarlesOakley wrote:What's with the Markov hate? He's been injured a lot recently and we have to see how he does when he comes back to see how much money he deserves, but he's hands down the best defender this team has until Subban develops, and one of the elite PP QBs in the NHL. Just look at how pathetic we are on the PP without him. Just because his English isn't great he isn't a leader? Players are always saying that when he talks in the dressing room, people listen. He might not be as tough or outspoken as others and I like Gionta getting the C over him but I can't believe Habs fans can dislike the man.

It's more the fact that he called out Price and then the night after let two guys beat him and score goals consecutively. If he's going to call out someone for not working hard he shouldn't be the laziest POS on the ice most nights. There's no way he should ever be given the C and I still think Gorges should've been given the A before him.

Well I think Gorges should have gotten the A over Gill.. Nothing but respect to Hal Gill but unless he has another epic playoff performance he's a goner after this year and at this point he's nothing but a 3rd string defender. Yes he's a veteran leader but he shouldn't need a letter because of that, while Gorges will hopefully be with this team for years. I mean Hammer is also a solid veteran presence and nobody would think of giving him the A. I disagree with Markov being lazy, I just think a lack of consistent focus is what kept him from being truly elite but it's not a question of commitment from him.
sh00n
RealGM

Post#40 » by sh00n » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:16 am

Honestly, if Gill was 5-7 years younger he most likely would've been the captain and I would've been thrilled with that. He does a lot of things that casual hockey fans don't realize and he's been playing the best hockey of his career with us. I'd honestly be pretty upset if he isn't brought back after this season because he's been incredible for us. He had a slow start last year but he was worth triple his contract in the playoffs.

The way I see it, we're set in goal, we have 1 and 1/2 lines to work with, and two grinder lines. Our defense is solid, but it's getting up there in age and it might become a problem down the road. We're not going to get any better with a re-signed Markov and the guy is already on the wrong side of 30 with 3 bad injuries recently. The only way we'll truly get over the hump is by either:

A) Moving Gomez and his huge contract, but then leaving a gaping hole in our center depth and as much as I love Pleks, he doesn't have the elite playmaking and passing abilities that G-Love has.
B) Moving one of Pleks, Cammo or Gionta to bring in a few younger pieces and hoping they pan out. The worst option of the bunch, easily.
C) Moving Markov. He's seen as one of the premiere defensemen in the NHL and with the extension Chara just got from Boston I'm terrified to see what Markov's going to want. There are some teams out there starving for defensemen that have prospects and NHL ready forwards.

We absolutely have to get rid of AK and Pouliot because neither looks like they will be consistent players in the NHL and a bad GM may take a flier on them. One scenario that I thought of the other day that I'd love to see explored is AK, Pouliot and Markov to Calgary for Iginla and Giordano. Iggy's looking miserable in Calgary and I'm pretty sure he wants out; you can tell just by his interviews that he's fed up with the way the team in run and he got into an argument with one of the assistants the other day. And with Sutter's recent track record for moves, we might just be able to pull it off. Calgary can pair up Markov with Bouwmeester, while we can try and re-sign Giordano before the summer and he's looking to be a really solid defenseman. We'd also bring in a guy that will instantly be the best player on the team and the most loved (even more than PK), and most likely would've been given the C if he arrived before the season. Not to mention him and Cammo were ****ing brilliant together, he'd be rejuvenated, and he's a proven playoff performer. We'd instantly be favourites in the East. Hamrlik's expiring deal would then turn into Gorges' new contract at around 3.5 mill, we re-sign Giordano for around 3.5-4 million and Hammer to a small deal. Ditto Gill. When Spacek's deal runs out next summer, it goes to PK.

Essentially the deal would put us over the top and into the elite of the NHL:
Cammalleri/Plekanec/Iginla
Eller/Gomez/Gionta
Moen/Lapierre/Pyatt
Pacioretty/Boyd/White

Subban/Giordano
Gorges/Gill
Hamrlik/Spacek

Price

We could make some smaller moves to bring depth to the 3rd and 4th lines because I've lost almost all faith in Pacioretty but Boyd and White are players. Maybe there's a chance Louis, Gallagher and Tinordi will be ready by then, too.

Return to Montreal Canadiens