2008 Offseason: Habs Edition

Moderator: Morris_Shatford

sh00n
RealGM
And1: 1,969

Re: 2008 Offseason: Habs Edition *Offer Sundin 2 years 15 Mill.* 

Post#61 » by sh00n » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:26 pm

Snayr wrote:Sh00n I like your style man!! And I like those people who said those quotes too!! :D

Also, it's been rumored that we're going pretty hard after Jay Bouwmeester (Sp?) and have offered a pretty nice package. The deal would not cause any less cap space for us either, so we'd still have cap space to sign Sundin!

I'd love to have Bouwmeester, that kid is a stud. Especially if it was a package including Lats. :P
Support your local artist, kids: http://www.katsenhakeron.com
@katsenhaker0n on the bird app
Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4

Post#62 » by Snayr » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:48 pm

I wouldn't mind losing Lats, as we could see what Patricoretty (sp?) could do perhaps. And if that's not the case, we have Matt D'agostini waiting on the farm too :) All in all we're freakin stacked when it comes to young talent :P But yeah, Bouwmeester would be huge.

As for that Koivu for Gaborik trade? I don't think I'd do it. Our Captain still has a couple good seasons left in him yet. Man... I'm still hating how the Wild drafted little Koivu just before our pick... I was really hoping we'd see the Koivu bros together in Mtl... oh well.
Montreal Canadiens Fan | Toronto Raptors Fan | Montreal Alouettes Fan - Proud to be Canadian!!
ygrr
Junior
And1: 0

Post#63 » by ygrr » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:11 pm

The only reason Id want Koivu out is simply for the fact that if we do get Mat, would it become a RIbeiro/koivu scenario all over again?
Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#64 » by Snayr » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:55 pm

LOL! Man... Ribeiro and Sundin and two completely different people. Sundin is a vet and one of the best players in the game... I don't think we have to worry about any scenario like that.
Montreal Canadiens Fan | Toronto Raptors Fan | Montreal Alouettes Fan - Proud to be Canadian!!
sh00n
RealGM

Post#65 » by sh00n » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:48 am

Snayr wrote:LOL! Man... Ribeiro and Sundin and two completely different people. Sundin is a vet and one of the best players in the game... I don't think we have to worry about any scenario like that.

Not to mention Ribiero was a sleezebucket and played like ass here until he was traded. Fakes injuries like crazy too.
sh00n
RealGM

Post#66 » by sh00n » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:08 am

Once again according to HockeyBuzz it's between us and an unknown team at this point for Sundin. Seems like Vancouver's offer has fallen out of favor - at least for now. Sundin said he'll have his decision made early August.
Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#67 » by Snayr » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:43 pm

Yeah... stupid Leafs. Sundin apparently feels wrong about joining the Habs... ugh. Hopefully he gives in!!
sh00n
RealGM

Post#68 » by sh00n » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:01 am

It's cause he keeps talking to him and they're putting him on a guilt trip.
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#69 » by UTMCretin » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:43 am

Given the tremendous depths to which he will have screwed the Leafs if he leaves, he probably should feel a little guilty.
Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#70 » by Snayr » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:46 am

Why? They gave the Habs the right to talk to him in order to gain a little in return for him if he decided to sign with the Habs before the July 1st deadline. If that doesn't scream "We just want to get something for you" I don't know what does.

He's earned the right to go to a contender at the end of his career... no matter who the team. The Canadiens have the cap space for him to sign and are one of the contenders for the cup, it would make sense for him to sign with the Habs. The Leafs have done nothing but screw up constantly the past 41 years, he shouldn't feel a lick of remorse high tailing it out of there.
sh00n
RealGM

Post#71 » by sh00n » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:36 pm

UTMCretin wrote:Given the tremendous depths to which he will have screwed the Leafs if he leaves, he probably should feel a little guilty.

I think the Leafs should feel more guilty on how they've treated Mats more than anything.
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#72 » by UTMCretin » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:34 pm

Snayr wrote:Why?

Because he will have refused to waive his NTC (Explaining his reasoning with great quotes like "I cannot leave my teammates and join another NHL Club at this time". They say a couple of months heal all wounds), only to leave for another team in free agency with the Maple Leafs gaining nothing in compensation.
sh00n
RealGM

Post#73 » by sh00n » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:24 pm

UTMCretin wrote:
Snayr wrote:Why?

Because he will have refused to waive his NTC (Explaining his reasoning with great quotes like "I cannot leave my teammates and join another NHL Club at this time". They say a couple of months heal all wounds), only to leave for another team in free agency with the Maple Leafs gaining nothing in compensation.

And why would he want to go back anyways? I wouldn't feel very respected for being one of the all-time greats for a certain team for them to try and force me to allow myself to get traded. It's their fault for including the no-trade clause in the first place. And don't kid yourself; it's not like a Mats trade would have given the Leafs the talent to put them over the top in one season. You guys are in serious rebuilding mode, having him re-sign in Toronto won't help that and trading him wouldn't have fixed the team overnight either.
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#74 » by UTMCretin » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:04 pm

sh00n wrote:And why would he want to go back anyways? I wouldn't feel very respected for being one of the all-time greats for a certain team for them to try and force me to allow myself to get traded. It's their fault for including the no-trade clause in the first place. And don't kid yourself; it's not like a Mats trade would have given the Leafs the talent to put them over the top in one season. You guys are in serious rebuilding mode, having him re-sign in Toronto won't help that and trading him wouldn't have fixed the team overnight either.

1. I'm not a Leafs fan. God forbid.

2. The Leafs know they're in rebuilding mode, otherwise they never would have tried to trade Mats (and all the other guys) in the first place. It wouldn't have fixed the team, but it would have given them something to help speed up the rebuilding process rather than continue to languish in the same stage of purgatory they've been in for the past few years.

3. He doesn't have to go back. I wouldn't want to go back either. The point is that when he exercised his NTC, he did so under the pretense that he wanted to spend the rest of his career as a Maple Leaf, and that that was the reason he didn't want to be traded (along with some stuff about not wanting to be a rental player that smells heavily of bullsh*t). So either he lied back then, or he changed his mind since, and either way, it's the Leafs who suffer. If he wanted to leave, he could have done so in a manner which would have helped his former team, the team which he claimed he wanted to end his career with, but he didn't. Which is why I would say that he screwed the Leafs over, intentionally or not.

Of course, if he does re-sign with Toronto, disregard all of the above.
sh00n
RealGM

Post#75 » by sh00n » Fri Aug 1, 2008 6:09 pm

Another source agrees stating..

"All of this stuff saying that we will first hear that he wants to play and then the team will be decided is a smoke screen. If Mats wants to play, Mats knows where he is going to play already. It will be Montreal or retirement, and we will hear about it all at once."

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16403
Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#76 » by Snayr » Sat Aug 2, 2008 3:44 pm

Yeah, well I hope he's right lol... i'm getting annoyed waiting these days :P
sh00n
RealGM

Post#77 » by sh00n » Sun Aug 3, 2008 9:45 pm

Same, I hope this concludes sooner than later.
Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#78 » by Snayr » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:49 pm

Well, as for right now it hasn't changed in the least and quite honestly it's pissing me off. I wish he'd make up his mind already. In other Habs news, here's a cool write up I found about some of the Habs young guns:

posted by 'sevil' on hfboards...thought id share as it was a good read.

-----

In case anyone missed it, some of the nhl prospects are having a drills and workout session in Arnprior Ontario this week (20 minutes outside of Ottawa). They are having 2 a days (am and pm) with the last day being tomorrow. There are about 20 players there including 8 hab prospects. Including. G. Latendresse, O. Latendresse, PK Subban, S. Quailer, G.Stewart, P. Valentenko, R. White and K. Chipchura. I sat on the bench and had a great view for 3 of the past 4 workouts and here is what I saw;

Guillaume Latendresse, well I have great news for all of you.. He is working HARD, very hard..TT said he really hasnt stopped working since the end of the season. Today he spent alot of time working on his skating and then in the afternoon alot of time on His ONE TIMER...yes He is working really hard on this.. passes from behind the net, the half boards and from the point. He actually scored 9 in a row (and yes there was a goalie) and his last one actually went thru the net... ripped the net.. not just squeezed through the hole..He is looking really good!

P. Valentenko.. Is amazing... Big , Fast, Mean and has a shot that is among the top in the NHL.. the goalie told TT that guy is going to kill me! figures to be among the first called up if a d man goes down. You will all love Valentenko.. so calm yet so ready to hurt!

Ryan White.. speed, great hands, great eyes and work work work...was really the first time I had seen him and so far I am impressed�

Steve Quailer at 6 feet 4 inches is big.. but moves alot better than expected, he looks like he should be awkward but isnt in the slightest. HIs shot is not as big but he is working on it and still has time to develop.. a really nice kid.

PK Subban is amazing. He has as many moves as the forwards, skates as good as anyone on the ice (with one exception) and loves to work. always smiling and all three sessions I saw.. he was first on and last off the ice... all three times. his shot is very accurate and I mean accurate..they placed a net in front of another net.. so that the mesh was out (making a cage) they pulled the front net over to the left about 5 inches.. so that there was a small gap along the right side of the back net to score on... the first 20 shots there was two goals... both by PK..

Stewart is big strong and fast.. spent most of his time working on skating (with the parachute) and one timers.. he will be another call up for sure. I dont think his one time appearance with the Habs was a fluke.

O. Latendress and Chipchura.. both work thier butts off. They both have better speed than the slow guys but not as quick as the quick guys. Chips works.. taking extra drills and less down time... he is pushing himself hard. Olivier works hard as well and a pretty good shot

ONe thing that you must remember this was a volunteer thing.. nobody had to go they wanted to, these boys are working hard, having fun but they are getting ready. I was impressed by all. but was told - wait until you see Pacioretty said TT you will drop your jaw!

Oh yeah And one last thing... Hunter Bishop was there and he is the exception.. man is he fast.. and does everything at full speed perfectly ...as quoted from prospects page-

The six-foot, 185-pound forward has improved his foot speed since coming to the BCHL. He has earned a reputation for terrorizing defencemen with his ability to finish and make crisp plays at speed, and now he has a top-class release that can make netminders look silly from almost anywhere inside the blueline.

For the Record, Hunter Bishop is yet to be drafted and is going to Ohio State this fall supposedly. Aside from that, I really liked what was said about Guillaume Latendresse! Good to hear, thats for sure. Anyways I thought it was a nice update on some of our prospects/young guns.
Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#79 » by Snayr » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:06 pm

A little peek at 100 year anniversary patches the Habs are to wear??

http://ps3.ign.com/dor/objects/14230951 ... ntary.html
sh00n
RealGM

Post#80 » by sh00n » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:36 am

I really hope we bring up PK this year; I really like his game.

According to Hockeybuzz, we're talking with Edmonton about a huge deal of young stars with our piece going to Edmonton supposedly being a young center. Higgins? :(

Return to Montreal Canadiens