ImageImageImage

Game 54: Minnesota Timberwolves @ Portland T-Blazers (9 CST)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,109

Re: Game 54: Minnesota Timberwolves @ Portland T-Blazers (9 CST) 

Post#101 » by Nick K » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:46 pm

Calinks wrote:Trading away NAW is like a Californian farmer in the 1850's selling a clump of dirt with some good potatoes in it not realizing there was a huge chunk of gold right in the middle. What a fleece! Arrrrooooo!!!!

Yep. Let's not forget that just getting rid of Dlo was great all by itself. Then we get Conley and NAW. Greatest trade in Wolves history!!!

When we traded Rudy everybody complained we gave up too much. I'm not convinced 1st rd picks in the mid to late 20's are super valuable. Vando and Beasley was no big loss and Kessler hurt some but he wouldn't get many minutes with Rudy here anyway.
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,109

Post#102 » by Nick K » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:49 pm

Calinks wrote:
Read on Twitter

Atta baby Perk!!

KG says Perk is one of the all time great guys. He's the best commentator on TV.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,809

Post#103 » by winforlose » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:28 pm

Nick K wrote:
Calinks wrote:Trading away NAW is like a Californian farmer in the 1850's selling a clump of dirt with some good potatoes in it not realizing there was a huge chunk of gold right in the middle. What a fleece! Arrrrooooo!!!!

Yep. Let's not forget that just getting rid of Dlo was great all by itself. Then we get Conley and NAW. Greatest trade in Wolves history!!!

When we traded Rudy everybody complained we gave up too much. I'm not convinced 1st rd picks in the mid to late 20's are super valuable. Vando and Beasley was no big loss and Kessler hurt some but he wouldn't get many minutes with Rudy here anyway.

Agree with everything but V8. Keeping Kessler and giving up V8 would be one thing. But losing V8 as a throw in SUCKED. He is an elite defender, an elite offensive rebounder, and as valuable or more valuable than Kyle this year. He would easily have had minutes in this rotation and we would be better for it.

P.S Kessler would 100% get 10-15 minutes or more per game from his rookie year onward. Naz would play the 4 exclusively and you would have 48 minutes of solid rim protection.
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,268

Post#104 » by _AIJ_ » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:04 pm

i really hate late starts
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,662

Post#105 » by Note30 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:26 pm

Nick K wrote:
Calinks wrote:
Read on Twitter

Atta baby Perk!!

KG says Perk is one of the all time great guys. He's the best commentator on TV.

Bro what? Have you listened to the guy? He's arguably got some of the worst takes on the air.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,548

Post#106 » by BlacJacMac » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:50 pm

winforlose wrote:
Nick K wrote:

Agree with everything but V8. Keeping Kessler and giving up V8 would be one thing. But losing V8 as a throw in SUCKED. He is an elite defender, an elite offensive rebounder, and as valuable or more valuable than Kyle this year. He would easily have had minutes in this rotation and we would be better for it.

P.S Kessler would 100% get 10-15 minutes or more per game from his rookie year onward. Naz would play the 4 exclusively and you would have 48 minutes of solid rim protection.

I don't mind losing Vando. He's such a specialized player. He's an energy/chaos guy. On defense, he can't guard big forwards without getting ragdolled and he's not a help/weakside defender. He's just a guy you can stick on a wing to slow him down, but he really doesn't fit well into actual defensive schemes.

On offense, he routinely gets played off the floor. Plus he has a long history of injuries going back to college.

I wouldn't mind having him as a fringe rotation guy that you could call on for specific match-ups, but I sure don't want to be the team paying him 48M over the next 4 years to do that.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man

Post#107 » by BlacJacMac » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:52 pm

Note30 wrote:
Nick K wrote:
Calinks wrote:
Read on Twitter

Atta baby Perk!!

Bro what? Have you listened to the guy? He's arguably got some of the worst takes on the air.

Agreed. The only difference between Perk and Shaq and Chuck is Perk actually likes Minnesota.

Of course KG likes him. He was the guy who kept Garnett from having to bang with centers on their title team.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#108 » by winforlose » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:59 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Nick K wrote:

I don't mind losing Vando. He's such a specialized player. He's an energy/chaos guy. On defense, he can't guard big forwards without getting ragdolled and he's not a help/weakside defender. He's just a guy you can stick on a wing to slow him down, but he really doesn't fit well into actual defensive schemes.

On offense, he routinely gets played off the floor. Plus he has a long history of injuries going back to college.

I wouldn't mind having him as a fringe rotation guy that you could call on for specific match-ups, but I sure don't want to be the team paying him 48M over the next 4 years to do that.

Sorry, but i disagree. You saw him guard Mike this year, he did more than slow him down. On offense he hit 8 3s this year on 27 attempts. By comparison Kyle made 7 of 31. Kyle averages 3.5 rebounds per game, Vando averages 4.8. V8 took half as many shots but averaged 51.8% of them, compared to Kyle’s 47.2%. I think V8 could have handled more on both sides of the ball than you think he could.

I agree that V8 had bad luck with injuries this year, but for his career I think he has been fairly healthy. Appearing in 78 games last year, 74 the year before, and 64 the year before. Before that he wasn’t always a rotation guy, but he was mostly available in the 20-21 season.

Do I want V8 making as much as he is, not especially relative to his value. But the Lakers understood his value enough to pay him what it took to keep him. V8 wouldn’t have been Fringe, he would have been backing up MCD and we would have even better defense (if that was possible,) not to mention better depth. But, he couldn’t and shouldn’t play with Gobert, much less with Kyle. I admit it would have created specialized rotations and that could get complicated.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,506

Post#109 » by Klomp » Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:15 pm

winforlose wrote:I agree that V8 had bad luck with injuries this year, but for his career I think he has been fairly healthy. Appearing in 78 games last year, 74 the year before, and 64 the year before. Before that he wasn’t always a rotation guy, but he was mostly available in the 20-21 season.

I don't get how you're arguing this.

September 2017: foot injury
March 2018: ankle injury
Had surgery to fix college foot injury, so he was in rehab until January 2019

Now this year has had heel, foot and back injuries
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man

Post#110 » by BlacJacMac » Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:16 pm

He's a sub 30% 3pt shooter and a poor FT shooter. He was unplayable in the Playoffs just last year and I don't think he did anything in 580 minutes this year to change that. 8/37 is so little volume that you can't really glean anything from it.

And his hands make Gobert's look like he's playing with Stickum.

Lakers signed him because they had to. They couldn't lose the salary slot. Most likely he was trade bait/matching salary, but his injuries derailed that.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#111 » by winforlose » Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:34 pm

Klomp wrote:
winforlose wrote:I agree that V8 had bad luck with injuries this year, but for his career I think he has been fairly healthy. Appearing in 78 games last year, 74 the year before, and 64 the year before. Before that he wasn’t always a rotation guy, but he was mostly available in the 20-21 season.

Look at Karl’s game log and you will see that stuff happens. He had healthy seasons in 20-21, 21-22, 22-23, and then got hurt in 2023-24. I am not saying he doesn’t have injury issues. I am saying he isn’t super injury prone compared to other players.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/t/townska01.html
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man

Post#112 » by BlacJacMac » Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:34 pm

winforlose wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Look at Karl’s game log and you will see that stuff happens. He had healthy seasons in 20-21, 21-22, 22-23, and then got hurt in 2023-24. I am not saying he doesn’t have injury issues. I am saying he isn’t super injury prone compared to other players.

He also plays very limited minutes for a guy his age.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#113 » by winforlose » Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:36 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:He's a sub 30% 3pt shooter and a poor FT shooter. He was unplayable in the Playoffs just last year and I don't think he did anything in 580 minutes this year to change that. 8/37 is so little volume that you can't really glean anything from it.

Lakers signed him because they had to. They couldn't lose the salary slot. Most likely he was trade bait/matching salary, but his injuries derailed that.

I am comparing him to Kyle. They have similar contributions this year. The difference is Kyle is better at distribution and playmaking. V8 is better at POA defense, rebounding, cutting, and creating extra possessions through energy.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#114 » by winforlose » Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:38 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Klomp wrote:I don't get how you're arguing this.

He also plays very limited minutes for a guy his age.

So does Kyle. To your other point about being played off the floor in the playoffs, if Kyle cannot figure out his shot, the same thing could easily happen to him. They are a very similar player this year as mentioned above. I just think V8 is the more valuable defender and rebounder.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/anderky01.html
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,506

Post#115 » by Klomp » Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:46 pm

winforlose wrote:
Klomp wrote:

So you're equating one KAT injury in 4 years to 5 separate injuries in a 6.5-year span?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,029

Post#116 » by Dewey » Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:53 pm

Nick K wrote:
Calinks wrote:
Read on Twitter

Atta baby Perk!!

I didn’t see that (commentator bit) coming …
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
winforlose
General Manager

Post#117 » by winforlose » Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:54 pm

Klomp wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Klomp wrote:I don't get how you're arguing this.

So you're equating one KAT injury in 4 years to 5 separate injuries in a 6.5-year span?

2019-2020 I think this was the wrist injury leading to missed games before the season is canceled due to Covid.
20-21 he plays 50-72 games pretty sure this was the re-injury of the wrist which takes him down for so long the season is over before he is back.
21-22, I remember he had issues with both legs, his wrist, his thumb, and more. He took so much abuse that year. To his credit he played through it.
2022-23 comes into camp severely out of shape and under weight after a serious illness, then suffers a calf injury that basically ends his season. He is back just before the playoffs and never fully healthy.

I think it was 20-21 that he also had a severe bout of Covid and missed a dozen games.

I am saying players miss games and stuff happens. V8 had 3 healthy years in a row. This is his first serious example of missing games since 2019. Also worth noting that he was a 2nd round draft pick for the Nuggets and wasn’t in the rotation for some of those early years. The team included him for KDB as a straight swap because they had no plans for V8. All he missed was G league minutes.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man

Post#118 » by BlacJacMac » Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:55 pm

winforlose wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:He's a sub 30% 3pt shooter and a poor FT shooter. He was unplayable in the Playoffs just last year and I don't think he did anything in 580 minutes this year to change that. 8/37 is so little volume that you can't really glean anything from it.

I am comparing him to Kyle. They have similar contributions this year. The difference is Kyle is better at distribution and playmaking. V8 is better at POA defense, rebounding, cutting, and creating extra possessions through energy.

Kyle is way better at team defense and defending strong players.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,029

Post#119 » by Dewey » Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:58 pm

Hahaha…. MN soil alone is like gold vs CA soil all day
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
winforlose
General Manager

Post#120 » by winforlose » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:00 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Kyle is way better at team defense and defending strong players.

I agree with the strong players part. Kyle can handle short stints against someone like JV because he can stay in front. Although his lack of size does limit him. I disagree about team defender. V8 and Pat Bev made our defense solid during 2021-22 even when Ant wasn’t there yet, Karl was doing high wall, Dlo was bad, and Jaden was inconsistent and mostly off the bench.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves