Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 5,036

Re: 2024 Draft - Who you got? 

Post#21 » by KGdaBom » Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:24 am

Klomp wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Klomp wrote:Sleep deprivation, just ignore me....

That's what we always do :lol: :sleep: :naaa:

I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment

I'm retired from work so I never go to sleep and I'm tired as hell all the time.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,887

Post#22 » by Domejandro » Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:36 am

KGdaBom wrote:
Domejandro wrote:
Mamba4Goat wrote:Bummer about the Steven Adams injury but…it could be the final nail in the coffin for a mediocre Griz season. That could land Minnesota a pretty decent 2nd between the worse of Was/Mem on top of wherever their 1st ends up.

For what it is worth, I could see Memphis trading Stephen Adams and a FRP to Portland for Robert Williams III. That said, if Memphis moves forward without a solid replacement for Stephen Adams, their season is definitely in serious jeopardy.

First twenty games of...

Marcus Smart / Derrick Rose
Desmond Bane / Luke Kennard / John Konchar
Ziaire Williams / David Roddy / Jake LaRavia
Jaren Jackson Jr. / Santi Aldama / Kelly Lofton Jr.
Xavier Tillman Sr. /

IR: Steven Adams and Brandon Clarke (might return around All-Star break)

Only reaction to that lineup:

I seem to be in a very small minority, but I don't think Tillman and Aldama are bad at all.

They are solid bench players, but relying on them for upwards of 60-65 minutes a game is definitely not ideal. The big issue is that Jaren Jackson Jr. has HUGE foul trouble issues, so the lack of depth is a serious problem.

(Not meaning to derail the Draft thread, just was giving my opinion on the problem in Memphis.)
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,097

Post#23 » by shangrila » Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:44 am

I don't see any way that Portland agrees to give up RWIII for a late first and an expiring. That's a frankly absurd suggestion.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#24 » by KGdaBom » Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:01 pm

shangrila wrote:I don't see any way that Portland agrees to give up RWIII for a late first and an expiring. That's a frankly absurd suggestion.

I had R Will on a fantasy team only because he was the last center left. As soon as Adams got injured I dumped R Williams for Tillman. Time Lord at one time showed great promise. Now to me he is a decent shot blocker who is injured 90% of the time. Availability is one of the best abilities and he doesn't have that.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,502

Post#25 » by Klomp » Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:28 pm

minimus wrote:

If I am trying to define archetype a player who I want Connelly to draft in 2024, I am looking at Kyle Anderson: versatile defender, glue guy. 6'7"-6'9", 220-230lbs, 6'9"-7'+ wingspan. But first and foremost he should be a mature, high IQ, low ego player. Jaime Jaquez is a perfect example of such player. I can easily imagine Jaquez playing with our bench unit and with starters. He can play next to Gobert-Towns duo as SF, or as PF next to Gobert. Watching Anderson playing at PF or SF I think that it is always a compromise in defense. Or better, it should be a matchup driven decision from coaching staff.

I'm not sure a senior fits the upside profile Connelly likes going after (though he is a young senior), but may I introduce you to Oso Ighodaro

tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#26 » by KGdaBom » Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:06 pm

It' going to be the last pick of the first round so don't get your hopes up too high.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,246

Post#27 » by Neeva » Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:18 pm

Late first round/early second round is where Connelly finds gems (if we ignore Wendell) and wolves will get them on Gupta specials
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,950

Post#28 » by Mamba4Goat » Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:22 pm

With their first round pick likely being late 1st and their 2nd (worst of Mem/Was) being likely in the top 10 of the 2nd round I wonder if they try to move up or give the 2nd a two-way spot.

I think my wish list is
1.) bucket getting guard
2.) 3pt ace wing
3.) pass first PG

If they can come away with two of those guys in the draft I’d be pretty happy.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by Klomp » Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:23 pm

KGdaBom wrote:It' going to be the last pick of the first round so don't get your hopes up too high.

Oso is currently mocked 28th...
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#30 » by KGdaBom » Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:26 pm

Klomp wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:It' going to be the last pick of the first round so don't get your hopes up too high.

Oso is currently mocked 28th...

So possibly available.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by Klomp » Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:55 pm

Klomp wrote:I think another thing worth bringing up...

If this is truly our identity going forward, do we start keeping an eye open for an heir apparent for Gobert at center? I know it seems strange with Towns and Reid, but I'm talking someone to play next to them like Rudy does at the moment. The only other guy we have close to Gobert's mold right now is Garza, but I don't think I see heir apparent upside.

What do people think about this?

While I think it's possible, I do think it's somewhat noteworthy that no other "Gobert-style" big has been brought in. Reid and Miller fall more into the Towns mold, but I wonder if more bigs in that style are where we'll be looking now that we're starting to see Reid and Towns work better together.

Regardless, I'm looking at both UCLA big men this year. They are both currently mocked ahead of where we'll be picking, but in the modern drafts we've seen bigs drop.

Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#32 » by Mamba4Goat » Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:06 am

Klomp wrote:

If this is truly our identity going forward, do we start keeping an eye open for an heir apparent for Gobert at center? I know it seems strange with Towns and Reid, but I'm talking someone to play next to them like Rudy does at the moment. The only other guy we have close to Gobert's mold right now is Garza, but I don't think I see heir apparent upside.

While I think it's possible, I do think it's somewhat noteworthy that no other "Gobert-style" big has been brought in. Reid and Miller fall more into the Towns mold, but I wonder if more bigs in that style are where we'll be looking now that we're starting to see Reid and Towns work better together.

Regardless, I'm looking at both UCLA big men this year. They are both currently mocked ahead of where we'll be picking, but in the modern drafts we've seen bigs drop.

It’s tough to envision them using a higher level asset like that on another big. Guys like Miller and Garza seem to be closer to bridges to an eventual post-Rudy life while guard remains a very pressing need. Wonder if they go for an oversized guy like basically every signing of theirs this offseason.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#33 » by KGdaBom » Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:53 am

Mamba4Goat wrote:
Klomp wrote:

It’s tough to envision them using a higher level asset like that on another big. Guys like Miller and Garza seem to be closer to bridges to an eventual post-Rudy life while guard remains a very pressing need. Wonder if they go for an oversized guy like basically every signing of theirs this offseason.

I'm always in favor of oversized. Bigger is better. :D
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,762

Post#34 » by minimus » Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:50 am

I hope we get a volume shooter, against NOP it was an awful basketball when our players turned down open threes, while NOP were hitting difficult shots.
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#35 » by Mamba4Goat » Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:29 pm

minimus wrote:I hope we get a volume shooter, against NOP it was an awful basketball when our players turned down open threes, while NOP were hitting difficult shots.

I wouldn’t hate that being a target. Usually there’s at least one bucket getter at the end of the first/early 2nd that is NBA ready and turns out to be a total steal. Sasser, Hardy, and Cam Thomas from recent drafts all come to mind. If Connelly could hit on a pick like one of them it’d be fantastic.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,246

Post#36 » by Neeva » Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:01 pm

Ya but those players usually suck at defense which is the wolves identity now. I don’t see Connelly using a pick on a pure shooter tbh and instead I see him trying to trade for or sign a shooter that is more proven in the league.
Bones Hyland?
fattymcgee
Senior
And1: 274

Post#37 » by fattymcgee » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:01 am

Who gives a $hit about next year's draft. Enjoy the season right in front of you. This is probably the second best team we've EVER had.
Clav
Starter
And1: 1,856

Post#38 » by Clav » Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:26 am

Don't be such a hater fattymcgee :lol: it's a simple discussion about prospects.

I'd keep an eye on Reece Beekman (Virginia) and Tristan Newton (UConn) - both savvy playmakers that will definitely (projected) be available. I think that's a great direction to go because a lot of the other positions are pretty solid. A "JMac" PG prospect, but one with functional NBA size and defense to add to playmaking and initiation.
Cheers
\m/
:guitar:
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,301

Post#39 » by andyhop » Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:50 am

Klomp wrote:What do people think about this?

I don't see the playing time for another big unless you are shipping one out, you have KAT,Naz and Rudy taking up 90 of the minutes at the 4 and 5. Miller is probably a 4/3 if not a small ball 5 in some line ups. And then you still have Garza who may or may not be an NBA player.

Gobert is the old one but he is only 31 so you would think he has a few years left in him.

Given the holes elsewhere it's hard to see how spending a useful pick on another 5 makes sense.
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,762

Post#40 » by minimus » Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:01 am

I have a feeling that many of us will be positively surprised if we get a big shooter. I believe he will fit seamlessly, making our offense so much smoother.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves