Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 5,039

Re: Jaden McDaniels thread 

Post#61 » by KGdaBom » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:09 pm

beezy wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
beezy wrote:https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1=pippesc01&p1yrfrom=1988&player_id2=mcdanja02&p2yrfrom=2021

Stats head to head for rookie years (Pippen age 22 Jaden age 20)

It may be fun to look at and speculate, but it's meaningless. Many players had far more productive rookie seasons than Pippen that aren't in the Hall of Fame.

The point I'm making is that they were/are both "potential" players. They have similarities and hell, we are all beaten down hardened pessimists as Wolves fans, Why not have some fun with speculation? Especially when the Head Coach makes the comparison.

I'm all for having fun with speculation, but there are Hundreds of players whose rookie seasons were better than Pippens that never amounted to anything. I'm probably being labeled a McDaniels hater, but that couldn't be further from the truth. I'm a big fan. I just don't get carried away in MdDanielsmania is what I will call it.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,884

Post#62 » by Calinks » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:34 pm

Finch isn't saying Jaden is the next Pippen but he sees some skills/abilities that Jaden has that Pippen had. There is potential for him to do some Pippin-like things. It's also been reported that Finch has said that Jaden may have the best foundation to "stack skills" on in the entire team. He loves what he has to work with in Jaden and really thinks he will be a big player for our team.

Again, I haven't seen all of that. I like Jaden, I think he has potential but Finch seems VERY high on him, I'm intrigued to watch Jaden closer this upcoming season.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 5,039

Post#63 » by KGdaBom » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:39 pm

Calinks wrote:Finch isn't saying Jaden is the next Pippen but he seems some skills/abilities that Jaden has that Pippen had. There is potential for him to do some Pippin-like things. It's also been reported that Finch has said that Jaden may have the best foundation to "stack skills" on in the entire team. He loves what he has to work with in Jaden and really thinks he will be a big player for our team.

Again, I haven't seen all of that. I like Jaden, I think he has potential but Finch seems VERY high on him, I'm intrigued to watch Jaden closer this upcoming season.

Me too unless he's moved in a Simmons deal. :evil:
J/K. I don't really care much if we trade for Simmons or not as the cost is likely to make a deal a wash.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,521

Post#64 » by Klomp » Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:31 pm

Calinks wrote:Finch isn't saying Jaden is the next Pippen but he seems some skills/abilities that Jaden has that Pippen had. There is potential for him to do some Pippin-like things. It's also been reported that Finch has said that Jaden may have the best foundation to "stack skills" on in the entire team. He loves what he has to work with in Jaden and really thinks he will be a big player for our team.

Bingo, that's a big distinction to make that seems to be unnoticed.

Has some skills. Has a foundation. Has the potential. Glowing as they may be, these are not the same category of statements being made about Anthony Edwards for example. It's a clear different level of potential between the two.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#65 » by Krapinsky » Tue Nov 2, 2021 5:53 pm

Remember how two months ago we had people comparing McDaniels to Scottie Pippen? :lol:

At this point I'm concerned that McDaniels is Jarett Culver 2.0. The two share a lot of similarities as players, but came into the league with a different set of expectations due to Culver's high lotto pick status.

McDaniel's has a 5.34 PER, which is near the league bottom. He is shooting 32% from the field and 17% from 3. Through 6 games he has fouled at an exceedingly high rate, committing 21 fouls total (most on the team), while not once making it to the charity strip himself. That's right, he's attempted 0 FT's through six games.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,809

Post#66 » by winforlose » Tue Nov 2, 2021 7:04 pm

Krapinsky wrote:Remember how two months ago we had people comparing McDaniels to Scottie Pippen? :lol:

At this point I'm concerned that McDaniels is Jarett Culver 2.0. The two share a lot of similarities as players, but came into the league with a different set of expectations due to Culver's high lotto pick status.

McDaniel's has a 5.34 PER, which is near the league bottom. He is shooting 32% from the field and 17% from 3. Through 6 games he has fouled at an exceedingly high rate, committing 21 fouls total (most on the team), while not once making it to the charity strip himself. That's right, he's attempted 0 FT's through six games.

You are right the comparison is clear MCD is way more valuable then General soreness 2.0. This time it’s not mentally ready, after back tightness. Simmons shoots between 30-60% from free throws at any given time. When it is 60 he is playable when it is 30 (you know like the playoffs last year,) he is hack a Shaq. MCD is having a bad year thus far and could be benched for 2 million. Simmons is having no year and is benched for 30. MCD cost us a late first round pick, Simmons costs us multiple picks plus players. Simmons also has no offensive upside whereas MCD still has years of growth. MCD also has years to learn to defend without fouling and will likely get a Roco deal which is what Simmons should get. The comparison is clear MCD wins by a landslide.
Krapinsky
RealGM

Post#67 » by Krapinsky » Tue Nov 2, 2021 7:10 pm

winforlose wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:Remember how two months ago we had people comparing McDaniels to Scottie Pippen? :lol:

You are right the comparison is clear MCD is way more valuable then General soreness 2.0. This time it’s not mentally ready, after back tightness. Simmons shoots between 30-60% from free throws at any given time. When it is 60 he is playable when it is 30 (you know like the playoffs last year,) he is hack a Shaq. MCD is having a bad year thus far and could be benched for 2 million. Simmons is having no year and is benched for 30. MCD cost us a late first round pick, Simmons costs us multiple picks plus players. Simmons also has no offensive upside whereas MCD still has years of growth. MCD also has years to learn to defend without fouling and will likely get a Roco deal which is what Simmons should get. The comparison is clear MCD wins by a landslide.

By your metrics literally any g-league or undrafted player is better than Ben Simmons. It's not even an attempt to begin a rational discussion.

But let's ignore Simmons and save that for the Simmons thread.

What do we do about our SF position? If this is a team that is serious about competing for the playoffs we obviously need more production than what McDaniels has to offer. Our other options are not much better (Prince, Okogie, Layman, Bolmaro)

Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#68 » by Merc_Porto » Tue Nov 2, 2021 7:20 pm

winforlose wrote:You are right the comparison is clear MCD is way more valuable then General soreness 2.0. This time it’s not mentally ready, after back tightness. Simmons shoots between 30-60% from free throws at any given time. When it is 60 he is playable when it is 30 (you know like the playoffs last year,) he is hack a Shaq. MCD is having a bad year thus far and could be benched for 2 million. Simmons is having no year and is benched for 30. MCD cost us a late first round pick, Simmons costs us multiple picks plus players. Simmons also has no offensive upside whereas MCD still has years of growth. MCD also has years to learn to defend without fouling and will likely get a Roco deal which is what Simmons should get. The comparison is clear MCD wins by a landslide.

Why the hell Simmons would cost us players and picks if he's that bad?
winforlose
General Manager

Post#69 » by winforlose » Tue Nov 2, 2021 7:22 pm

Krapinsky wrote:
winforlose wrote:

By your metrics literally any g-league or undrafted player is better than Ben Simmons. It's not even an attempt to begin a rational discussion.

What do we do about our SF position? If this is a team that is serious about competing for the playoffs we obviously need more production than what McDaniels has to offer. Our other options are not much better (Prince, Okogie, Layman, Bolmaro)

I have said so many times on so many threads we need to make a trade to increase our size. Meantime, move MCD to backup 4, move Bolmaro to backup 3, rotate Prince out of the lineup. Of course if Naz misses time this changes and Prince is forced back into the rotation as V8 becomes backup center. In any case, MCD should be coming off the bench until he improves his issues. Weaker offensive players should help him figure his fouling out and he is more likely to rebound well against backups. If that fails send him to the G. He needs to rebuild his confidence. We cannot let him become another Culver. Meanwhile Ant can play the 3 in a pinch and get Beasley back to starting or start Okogie and Prince and let V8 and MCD rebound the crap out of the 2nd unit. We have depth which gives us options.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#70 » by winforlose » Tue Nov 2, 2021 7:24 pm

Merc_Porto wrote:
winforlose wrote:You are right the comparison is clear MCD is way more valuable then General soreness 2.0. This time it’s not mentally ready, after back tightness. Simmons shoots between 30-60% from free throws at any given time. When it is 60 he is playable when it is 30 (you know like the playoffs last year,) he is hack a Shaq. MCD is having a bad year thus far and could be benched for 2 million. Simmons is having no year and is benched for 30. MCD cost us a late first round pick, Simmons costs us multiple picks plus players. Simmons also has no offensive upside whereas MCD still has years of growth. MCD also has years to learn to defend without fouling and will likely get a Roco deal which is what Simmons should get. The comparison is clear MCD wins by a landslide.

Why the hell Simmons would cost us players and picks if he's that bad?

Because Morley is charging a bloody fortune for an overpaid player with flaws in his game. There is a reason everyone threw him under the bus (which caused him to demand a trade.) MCD is a 2nd year player on a good contract, his upside has yet to be realized. Simmons is a 6th year player who is a known quantity.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#71 » by Merc_Porto » Tue Nov 2, 2021 7:31 pm

winforlose wrote:Because Morley is charging a bloody fortune for an overpaid player with flaws in his game. There is a reason everyone threw him under the bus (which caused him to demand a trade.) MCD is a 2nd year player on a good contract, his upside has yet to be realized. Simmons is a 6th year player who is a known quantity.

Even tho MCD is a nice player on a good contract, probably the only good thing that Rosas did well when he was in charge.
But is absurd to compare him with Simmons, unfair for him (McDaniels) actually, I'm starting to feel embarrassed for you.

JUST STOP, PLEASE.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,491

Post#72 » by Foye » Tue Nov 2, 2021 7:37 pm

Krapinsky wrote:
winforlose wrote:

People don't seem to understand that these role players are only partially responsible for their poor stats.
Every year the role players on the roster become the scape goats why the Wolves are not good.

Prior to that it was Budinger / Dieng / Covington / Tolliver
Last year it was Rubio / Hernangomez / Culver / Okogie
This year its Prince / McDaniels / Vanderbilt whoever

In reality - the problem is and always was the supposed "stars".

Towns, Russell and Edwards combine for 10 turnovers per game. Some teams only average 12-13 as a unit player 1 to 15.
Russell, Edwards and Beasley combine for about 46 FGA a night. And hit at incredibly piss poor efficiency. They are incredible ball hogs through large stretches of the game and nobody within the whole organization is holding them accountable in any way.

Those are the stats to look at. Can't win unless these things are corrected.

In the grand scheme of things it would be helpful if McDaniels produced more for sure - but you need to enable him to produce more by putting him into good position on offense. And here is the thing: Wolves just traded away such an enabler - in Rubio - for the corpse of Prince. Piss poor deal. Now good luck with Russell.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,884

Post#73 » by Calinks » Tue Nov 2, 2021 8:03 pm

I think its worth looking into Jaden's scoring. He has produced

total points in each game. I know his job isn't to score but those are some really concerning numbers. I don't know if he will ever be a solid scorer but I would hope he would be capable of averaging closer to 10 PPG than he is.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,671

Post#74 » by jpatrick » Tue Nov 2, 2021 8:24 pm

Calinks wrote:I think its worth looking into Jaden's scoring. He has produced

total points in each game. I know his job isn't to score but those are some really concerning numbers. I don't know if he will ever be a solid scorer but I would hope he would be capable of averaging closer to 10 PPG than he is.

I cringed when people looked at summer league and thought that would mean he’s be better offensively. He was actually terrible in SL as a creator. The stat I heard is that in all the SL possessions he was the primary initiator (either going 1-on-1 or being pick and roll ball handler), we only scored four points. Which makes sense since his handle is awful.

He needs to focus on being a three and d guy. Needs to be much better at hitting open shots. Be better at picking spots on straight line driving against a hard closeout. Cut to open spots to try and get easy buckets.

He needs to watch Mikal Bridges’ games on a loop. He’s a very good defender. But McDaniels has got to get to competent on offense to be playable in a winning team.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,098

Post#75 » by shangrila » Tue Nov 2, 2021 9:37 pm

I'm not worried about his offence. He's not going to shoot 17% from 3 all season. That's the only thing tanking his efficiency right now, as his 2pt% is nearly identical to last season.

Once he fixes that he'll be fine.
Krapinsky
RealGM

Post#76 » by Krapinsky » Wed Nov 3, 2021 12:28 am

shangrila wrote:I'm not worried about his offence. He's not going to shoot 17% from 3 all season. That's the only thing tanking his efficiency right now, as his 2pt% is nearly identical to last season.

The non-existent free throws and low assist rate don't trouble you? .8 assists per game?

shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,098

Post#77 » by shangrila » Wed Nov 3, 2021 1:37 am

Krapinsky wrote:
shangrila wrote:I'm not worried about his offence. He's not going to shoot 17% from 3 all season. That's the only thing tanking his efficiency right now, as his 2pt% is nearly identical to last season.

The non-existent free throws and low assist rate don't trouble you? .8 assists per game?

The assists? No. Offensively I want him to make open 3s, that's about it. Move the ball around, sure, but that typically leads to more hockey assists than scorecard assists.

FTs might be a little concerning, as a couple of cuts a game should lead to his paper thin body looking like it got mauled at the first sign of a stiff breeze. But everything in the entire league is funky right now. Refs trying to figure out the new foul rules, players complaining about the ball being different and we obviously spent all our offseason time churning out a good defence at the expense of our offence.

Personally, McDaniels was valuable to me not because I thought he'd be a star but because he looked like the absolute gold standard for a 3&D player; tall, long, switchable on D and hard to contest shots on O. He's still on track for that.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,665

Post#78 » by Note30 » Wed Nov 3, 2021 2:57 am

winforlose wrote:

Dude you are you serious?
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,798

Post#79 » by Slim Tubby » Wed Nov 3, 2021 3:01 am

His defensive effort is there but he seemingly can foul out before the end of the First Half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
winforlose
General Manager

Post#80 » by winforlose » Wed Nov 3, 2021 3:08 am

Note30 wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Dude you are you serious?

MCD wasn’t this bad last year. Meanwhile Simmons is refusing to play and showing potential teams the risk of bringing him in and him being unhappy a year or two later. The long control period could very easily backfire. Moreover, I meant what I said about the upside of MCD being a huge question mark whereas we know what Simmons is. Also, if Simmons misses 20 games with an injury you have 30 million + on the bench, whereas MCD can be benched for a while until he gets himself under control and you only lose 2 mil in on court value. Overall a healthy productive Simmons is better than the current MCD no question, but no one is offering a one for one deal. Pat Bev for example would need to go to get Simmons and Bev is huge for defense. If you ask me would I make a Simmons trade or keep our roster and develop MCD the choice is clear. Even if MCD has a ceiling of Roco and floor of a G league player it is still worth the picks and players involved not to mention cap space to roll the dice on MCD.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves