Post#61 » by life_saver » Mon Mar 6, 2023 12:42 am

This was such a good pass from NAW

Read on Twitter
MN7725
Veteran
And1: 1,090

Re: The Nickeil Alexander-Walker (NAW) Thread 

Post#62 » by MN7725 » Mon Mar 6, 2023 1:21 am

He was one of the 2019 draft guys along with Reddish and Langford that seemed to be talented players that just hadn't found a place in NBA yet

He could be the Pat Beverly, George Hill type, not really a primary ball handler, but can defend them, which is what Wolves would ideally have next to ANT as he improves and has the ball even more, along with KAT

has the size/quickness/wingspan physical attributes you'd want to defend opposing PG's

RFA upcoming, which is in Wolves favor
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,518

Post#63 » by Klomp » Mon Mar 6, 2023 1:48 am

MN7725 wrote:He was one of the 2019 draft guys along with Reddish and Langford that seemed to be talented players that just hadn't found a place in NBA yet

He could be the Pat Beverly, George Hill type, not really a primary ball handler, but can defend them, which is what Wolves would ideally have next to ANT as he improves and has the ball even more, along with KAT

has the size/quickness/wingspan physical attributes you'd want to defend opposing PG's

RFA upcoming, which is in Wolves favor

George Hill is a really solid comp, hadn't thought about that one!
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,763

Post#64 » by minimus » Mon Mar 6, 2023 1:36 pm

I wonder what can be be used as comparison when we speak about NAW contract:

DDV - 9 mil / 2 yrs (second year - player option)
GP2 - 26 mil / 3 yrs
KCP - 40 mil / 3 yrs
Josh Richardson - 12 mil / 1 yr
Derrick White - 70 mil / 4 yrs

All these guys above played multiple years in winning teams. NAW is still unproven, but it also means that he still can improve, despite being 24yo. NAW is also not a lockdown defender such as GP2, and not as versatile scorer as White. At least not yet. Thoughts?
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,342

Post#65 » by shrink » Mon Mar 6, 2023 3:10 pm

minimus wrote:I wonder what can be be used as comparison when we speak about NAW contract:

GP2 - 26 mil / 3 yrs
KCP - 40 mil / 3 yrs

All these guys above played multiple years in winning teams. NAW is still unproven, but it also means that he still can improve, despite being 24yo. NAW is also not a lockdown defender such as GP2, and not as versatile scorer as White. At least not yet. Thoughts?

Good post.

NAW’s last month of the season will have a big impact on his contract next year. Right now, he hasn’t proven as much as these guys had before they got their first contract, but the cap continues to rise. Already on his third team, he may want to be on the Wolves if he sees the potential for minutes next year. He doesn’t have a lot of money in the bank as the #17 pick, so I think he’d prefer years over dollars. I think he comes in at around 3 years, $19 mil, with Year 3 only being partially guaranteed.
minimus
RealGM

Post#66 » by minimus » Mon Mar 6, 2023 3:50 pm

shrink wrote:
minimus wrote:I wonder what can be be used as comparison when we speak about NAW contract:

GP2 - 26 mil / 3 yrs
KCP - 40 mil / 3 yrs

Good post.

NAW’s last month of the season will have a big impact on his contract next year. Right now, he hasn’t proven as much as these guys had before they got their first contract, but the cap continues to rise. Already on his third team, he may want to be on the Wolves if he sees the potential for minutes next year. He doesn’t have a lot of money in the bank as the #17 pick, so I think he’d prefer years over dollars. I think he comes in at around 3 years, $19 mil, with Year 3 only being partially guaranteed.

Yes, I also think that something around 20-21 mil / 3 yrs with team option could be a new deal for NAW.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#67 » by Klomp » Mon Mar 6, 2023 7:41 pm

My current thought has been $5-7 million AAV
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#68 » by Klomp » Tue Mar 7, 2023 2:44 am

Read on Twitter

deepestblue
Freshman
And1: 80

Post#69 » by deepestblue » Tue Mar 7, 2023 6:51 am

GREAT pickup! Conley, NAW AND some 2nd rounders? The D-Lo trade looks like a steal.
minimus
RealGM

Post#70 » by minimus » Tue Mar 7, 2023 9:12 am

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Nickeil needs to improve his finishing at rim, every his layup looks forced. He should ask his cousin SGA to work out together in offseason: how to initiate contact, change pace, change direction, footwork. Maybe it will be better for NAW to use more floater, short mid range shots.
minimus
RealGM

Post#71 » by minimus » Thu Mar 9, 2023 6:56 pm

Read on Twitter
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#72 » by Klomp » Thu Mar 9, 2023 8:02 pm

minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

Sample-size stats are fascinating, aren't they?!

But while that stat doesn't mean he's in that company now, he absolutely has the potential to be as he grows his game and spends more time on the court and developing his body.

I still stand by my belief that NAW could be the other starter in our backcourt of the future.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#73 » by Klomp » Thu Mar 9, 2023 10:00 pm

Nickeil's early career should be a story familiar to Timberwolves fans...Finch is his sixth NBA coach since entering the league in 2019.

From last October:
“It’s difficult to say the least,” he said. “It’s hard to develop under five different coaches in four years. When you look at NBA systems and timelines and the progression of players, usually they’re under the same coach and understand the system and understand their role and then they embrace their role and expand from there. I think it’s safe to say that in all four years I’ve had a different role and it’s not always clear what that role is. I’m still trying to understand that and understand how I can get better.”

https://www.deseret.com/2022/10/4/23381273/utah-jazz-guard-nickeil-alexander-walker-hoping-for-stability-in-utah

minimus
RealGM

Post#74 » by minimus » Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:13 am

Klomp wrote:
minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

Sample-size stats are fascinating, aren't they?!

But while that stat doesn't mean he's in that company now, he absolutely has the potential to be as he grows his game and spends more time on the court and developing his body.

I still stand by my belief that NAW could be the other starter in our backcourt of the future.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#75 » by Klomp » Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:11 pm

Speaking of sample size...

Of players to attempt at least 25 3-pointers, Nickeil Alexander-Walker (13-27, .481) has the second-best 3-point percentage in franchise history (Felipe Lopez, 27-56, .482).

minimus
RealGM

Post#76 » by minimus » Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:04 am

Read on Twitter
minimus
RealGM

Post#77 » by minimus » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:36 am

He cant hit anything right now, but Good Lord, this guy hustles in every moment. I also like how he feeds big guys such as Gobert, Garza, MCD. I hope this help him to build chemistry with Towns.
minimus
RealGM

Post#78 » by minimus » Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:48 am

Last game Hart just ran through NAW, NYK have got a bunch of wings/guards who are playing physical style of game. It was evident for me that Nickeil was basically playing at wings as TP/MCD substitution, in this case he needs to add some muscles to be effective. I think it is a good reality check for our FO to start contract negotiations with Nickeil this offseason. But I wont doubt his effort and hustle.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#79 » by Klomp » Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:41 pm

minimus wrote:Last game Hart just ran through NAW, NYK have got a bunch of wings/guards who are playing physical style of game. It was evident for me that Nickeil was basically playing at wings as TP/MCD substitution, in this case he needs to add some muscles to be effective. I think it is a good reality check for our FO to start contract negotiations with Nickeil this offseason. But I wont doubt his effort and hustle.

NAW is more of a SG/PG, while Hart is bigger and more like a SF/SG.

minimus
RealGM

Post#80 » by minimus » Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:58 am

Klomp wrote:
minimus wrote:Last game Hart just ran through NAW, NYK have got a bunch of wings/guards who are playing physical style of game. It was evident for me that Nickeil was basically playing at wings as TP/MCD substitution, in this case he needs to add some muscles to be effective. I think it is a good reality check for our FO to start contract negotiations with Nickeil this offseason. But I wont doubt his effort and hustle.

NAW is more of a SG/PG, while Hart is bigger and more like a SF/SG.

I know but with Nowell and McLaughlin on the floor NAW was playing more like a wing. Same for offense where he was more corner spider

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves