ImageImageImage

2024 Draft - Who you got?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,097

Re: 2024 Draft - Who you got? 

Post#61 » by shangrila » Thu Dec 7, 2023 8:52 am

Klomp wrote:Hypothetically, would it make sense for a team in our cap situation to trade down from our 1st into the second? Seconds aren’t guaranteed, and maybe we could pull a prospect or future pick out of it…

Maybe. Boston got a haul last year trading down into the second and still got the guy they want (can't remember his name, Andre something I think).

Could also trade up, particularly if Memphis continues to suck. 30 + 40 (we'll say Memphis improves once Ja is back and the health starts to work out) could probably move up 4-5 spots at minimum.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 5,039

Post#62 » by KGdaBom » Thu Dec 7, 2023 11:50 am

shangrila wrote:
minimus wrote:

He reminds me Juancho. Would love to get him in 2nd round.

That short form is great. If he can defend I'd target him no question.

Hope he's not Juancho though. As fun as he was at times he was far too streaky and refused to set a solid screen.

I like the short form too. 2 lines.
Line 1: How much money did you make last year.
Line 2: Send it in.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#63 » by KGdaBom » Thu Dec 7, 2023 11:51 am

Klomp wrote:Hypothetically, would it make sense for a team in our cap situation to trade down from our 1st into the second? Seconds aren’t guaranteed, and maybe we could pull a prospect or future pick out of it…

From 30 to 31?
I'm good with that.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,513

Post#64 » by Klomp » Thu Dec 7, 2023 7:30 pm

shangrila wrote:

Maybe. Boston got a haul last year trading down into the second and still got the guy they want (can't remember his name, Andre something I think).

Could also trade up, particularly if Memphis continues to suck. 30 + 40 (we'll say Memphis improves once Ja is back and the health starts to work out) could probably move up 4-5 spots at minimum.

Trading up means a higher salary though, which I think we're trying to avoid if possible.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,950

Post#65 » by Mamba4Goat » Fri Dec 8, 2023 2:25 am

I wouldn’t hate this. You could theoretically use the Memphis/Was 2nd and a traded back second to have two of your two-ways while filling the roster out with vet fliers if the team wants to go that way too.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#66 » by Klomp » Fri Dec 8, 2023 2:34 am

Mamba4Goat wrote:

I wouldn’t hate this. You could theoretically use the Memphis/Was 2nd and a traded back second to have two of your two-ways while filling the roster out with vet fliers if the team wants to go that way too.

Or do you save roughly $2 million total by having both 2nds on active minimum contracts, rather than veterans.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

shangrila
RealGM

Post#67 » by shangrila » Fri Dec 8, 2023 10:51 am

Klomp wrote:
shangrila wrote:

Trading up means a higher salary though, which I think we're trying to avoid if possible.

It's likely to be less than 30+40, unless you're planning to make the 2nd rounder a 2 way.
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,950

Post#68 » by Mamba4Goat » Fri Dec 8, 2023 3:09 pm

Klomp wrote:
Mamba4Goat wrote:

Or do you save roughly $2 million total by having both 2nds on active minimum contracts, rather than veterans.

Yeah, it can be a tough line to toe and figure out. I worry about the teams that turn too youth oriented (Denver/Memphis for example) with their depth and having a reliable guy to throw in in case of emergency would be ideal. Barring any trades a roster of 3 two-ways, Moore, Minott, Miller, Garza(?) and 2 second round rookies gives you 9-10 spots for proven, reliable vets and would have to mean there’s a lot of confidence in the current youth on the roster.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,247

Post#69 » by Neeva » Sat Dec 9, 2023 8:57 pm

I am liking the idea of trading our 28-30th pick (Unless somene we REALLY like is available there)
To the knicks, Portland or Spurs, who have multiple seconds. Instead of two shots at finding good role players Wolves get three shots ( and on Gupta specials). If Wolves end up with three picks being something like Baba Miller, Jared Mccain or Juan Nunez and Zach Edey. I’ll be pretty happy.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,247

Post#70 » by Neeva » Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:59 am

After seeing Kylan Boswell. I have ZERO interest. He is like a shorter, slower, fatter DLO and not as good a shooter to at best be a 6th man scoring type guard either.
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 6,153

Post#71 » by life_saver » Mon Dec 25, 2023 4:39 am

We need a ball handler
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,762

Post#72 » by minimus » Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:42 pm

Meanwhile Tristan Da Silva rises in mocks...
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#73 » by KGdaBom » Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:41 pm

minimus wrote:Meanwhile Tristan Da Silva rises in mocks...

Tankathon has him going 38th. We get two shots at him and pass on both occasions.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#74 » by Klomp » Tue Jan 2, 2024 5:43 pm

I've been doing more reading than watching about him, but Tyler Kolek sounds like he would be a nice fit as PG of the future.

shangrila
RealGM

Post#75 » by shangrila » Tue Jan 2, 2024 6:33 pm

Klomp wrote:I've been doing more reading than watching about him, but Tyler Kolek sounds like he would be a nice fit as PG of the future.

He's fun to watch and I'm admittedly terrible at picking small guards but I don't think he's got much of an NBA future.

He's an excellent passer, great finisher around the rim and to this point a good shooter. But he's not athletic, with his finishing relying on angles and getting free out of ball screens, nor do I think he has a good wingspan. I could see him in a JMac role but if that's the case, what's the point of drafting him for us?
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,309

Post#76 » by Colbinii » Tue Jan 2, 2024 6:37 pm

shangrila wrote:
Klomp wrote:I've been doing more reading than watching about him, but Tyler Kolek sounds like he would be a nice fit as PG of the future.

He's fun to watch and I'm admittedly terrible at picking small guards but I don't think he's got much of an NBA future.

He's an excellent passer, great finisher around the rim and to this point a good shooter. But he's not athletic, with his finishing relying on angles and getting free out of ball screens, nor do I think he has a good wingspan. I could see him in a JMac role but if that's the case, what's the point of drafting him for us?

He is listed at 6' 3", he isn't tiny.

He is 2 inches taller than JMac, he is also a much better shooter than JMac.

JMac was never an 80% FT Shooter in college [He was 79%], Kolek is a 90% this year and 80% the past 2 seasons.

Kylan Boswell is a PG Prospect who may be gone by the 20s but is promising, as is Iowa State's Tamin Lipsey.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#77 » by Klomp » Tue Jan 2, 2024 6:52 pm

Colbinii wrote:Kylan Boswell is a PG Prospect who may be gone by the 20s but is promising, as is Iowa State's Tamin Lipsey.

Lipsey would be fun for me. His dad played football at my alma mater.

shangrila
RealGM

Post#78 » by shangrila » Tue Jan 2, 2024 7:42 pm

Colbinii wrote:
shangrila wrote:

JMac was never an 80% FT Shooter in college [He was 79%], Kolek is a 90% this year and 80% the past 2 seasons.

Kylan Boswell is a PG Prospect who may be gone by the 20s but is promising, as is Iowa State's Tamin Lipsey.

He doesn't look 6-3 when I've watched him play. Given that players usually measure shorter at the Combine I wouldn't be surprised if he's closer to 6-2 or even 6-1 which, while taller than JMac, is still tiny comparative to the rest of the league. I'd also point out that he doesn't have the footspeed JMac has, although the point wasn't to compare the two anyway. I only said that I thought he could play a similar role.

But as I also said...I'm horrible at picking small guards. I was big on Kennedy Chandler and Tyty Washington after all.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#79 » by Klomp » Tue Jan 2, 2024 7:55 pm

shangrila wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
shangrila wrote:He's fun to watch and I'm admittedly terrible at picking small guards but I don't think he's got much of an NBA future.

He doesn't look 6-3 when I've watched him play. Given that players usually measure shorter at the Combine I wouldn't be surprised if he's closer to 6-2 or even 6-1 which, while taller than JMac, is still tiny comparative to the rest of the league. I'd also point out that he doesn't have the footspeed JMac has, although the point wasn't to compare the two anyway. I only said that I thought he could play a similar role.

But as I also said...I'm horrible at picking small guards. I was big on Kennedy Chandler and Tyty Washington after all.

I'm no expert, but Chandler and Washington are guys who relied greatly on their athleticism/quickness. I think that's what gets negated in the NBA for smaller guards. I think Kolek falls closer to a McLaughlin/McConnell/Jones (or on a super high end, Conley) that relies more on intelligence and angles to get the job done.

Fun fact: Kolek is 4 months older than Anthony Edwards.

thinktank
Analyst
And1: 2,054

Post#80 » by thinktank » Tue Jan 2, 2024 8:17 pm

Bronny looks like Tyus with hops.

If he’s there at our pick that’s whom I’m selecting. He’d be fantastic, as a second rounder especially.

Change my mind.
“Tatum is garbage.” “Tatum is literally dogcrap.” -The Corey’s

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves