Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

gandlogo
Junior
And1: 375

Re: Are the Wolves legitimate title contenders 

Post#61 » by gandlogo » Mon Feb 5, 2024 3:26 am

WolfAddict wrote:
gandlogo wrote:
WolfAddict wrote:One of my many vices (to the annoyance of the wife) is to hear some bit of trivia then deep diving into research about it.

We had an exhibition here in Aus about Ramses II, and I spent 2 weeks before it downloading uni lectures about him so I could point out obscure facts about the artifacts to strangers in the museum... lol

What brought you to the Wolves? It’s easy to identify for us that grew up or are currently in Minnesota, but I’m always curious about others, especially from so far away.

To be honest brother, I was a casual BBall fan in the late 80's and early 90's who didn't have a team that I followed (loved the Bulls but only because of Jordan, and Magic when Shaq arrived) but after I watched the 94 dunk contest I absolutely fell in love with IR and the Wolves. Since then, lived, breathed and bled TWolves (although my all time favourite player went from IR to Rubio over the years)

Very cool. I wrongly assumed Luc or Shane Heal, but thanks for sharing.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,518

Post#62 » by Klomp » Mon Feb 5, 2024 7:00 pm

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,338

Post#63 » by shrink » Mon Feb 5, 2024 8:11 pm

WolfAddict wrote:
gandlogo wrote:
WolfAddict wrote:Ha ha ha good point brother - Didn't think of that when making the reference

I’m a huge fan of obscure/different point of view references that make me (many of us) learn. The older I get the more I realize I need to learn more.

One of my many vices (to the annoyance of the wife) is to hear some bit of trivia then deep diving into research about it.

We had an exhibition here in Aus about Ramses II, and I spent 2 weeks before it downloading uni lectures about him so I could point out obscure facts about the artifacts to strangers in the museum... lol

I’m THAT GUY at zoos! I need to keep telling myself, “that unsuspecting visitor doesn’t care if that sloth has two or three toes.”

I’m one of those, “people becoming their parents” from the insurance commercials.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 5,039

Post#64 » by KGdaBom » Mon Feb 5, 2024 9:58 pm

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

50 Cent thinks were winning it all. Absolute proof that we are legit contenders.
Clav
Starter
And1: 1,856

Post#65 » by Clav » Mon Feb 5, 2024 10:07 pm

shrink wrote:
WolfAddict wrote:
gandlogo wrote:
I’m a huge fan of obscure/different point of view references that make me (many of us) learn. The older I get the more I realize I need to learn more.

One of my many vices (to the annoyance of the wife) is to hear some bit of trivia then deep diving into research about it.

I’m THAT GUY at zoos! I need to keep telling myself, “that unsuspecting visitor doesn’t care if that sloth has two or three toes.”

I’m one of those, “people becoming their parents” from the insurance commercials.

I'm the same at pub trivia night. I'm that guy who is becoming an old man in his 30's

Ah ****, this makes me laugh and cry at the same time :lol:
Cheers
\m/
:guitar:
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#66 » by KGdaBom » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:41 am

Hopefully tonight's game can convince some doubters that we are legit title contenders. On the road against one of the favorites and probably the hottest team in the NBA. We win by not over yet, but a lot.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,809

Post#67 » by winforlose » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:43 am

KGdaBom wrote:Hopefully tonight's game can convince some doubters that we are legit title contenders. On the road against one of the favorites and probably the hottest team in the NBA. We win by not over yet, but a lot.

It convinced me that I don’t fear the Clippers as much as I did on paper. We had a bad shooting night and still got a big win.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#68 » by KGdaBom » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:46 am

winforlose wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Hopefully tonight's game can convince some doubters that we are legit title contenders. On the road against one of the favorites and probably the hottest team in the NBA. We win by not over yet, but a lot.

It convinced me that I don’t fear the Clippers as much as I did on paper. We had a bad shooting night and still got a big win.

3 point shooting isn't the only kind of shooting. We are 54% FG and 95% from the line.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#69 » by winforlose » Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:44 am

40 wins before 20 losses. In other words, LEGIT CONTENDERS!
Loaf_of_bread
Junior
And1: 212

Post#70 » by Loaf_of_bread » Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:47 am

Damn, we are still around +2300 or so to win the title. We match up so well against the clippers and Denver. Even better vs okc. Time to put down some money.. and hedge later.
shrink
RealGM

Post#71 » by shrink » Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:20 pm

What playoff teams do we most want to avoid?

What playoff teams want to avoid us?

For example, I think we’re a bad match up for DEN. They have major advantages with their
1. Size (three bigs), but we have just as much size.
2. Jokic - nobody stops him, but KAT has always done surprisingly well. That leaves Rudy underneath.
3. Jamal Murray - but we have several great perimeter defenders.
4. Aaron Gordon can guard KAT, but they have nobody to guard Ant this year.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#72 » by winforlose » Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:09 pm

shrink wrote:What playoff teams do we most want to avoid?

For example, I think we’re a bad match up for DEN. They have major advantages with their
2. Jokic - nobody stops him, but KAT has always done surprisingly well. That leaves Rudy underneath.

Most people say the Pels. I actually happen to disagree. We lost both games against Zion. One of them was a referee game where they shot 40-16 free throws in competitive minutes. I don’t see that happening in a 1-8 or 2-7 playoff game. The other game was a massive power outage for the Wolves. We shot 45% from the field and 32% from deep. Karl went 8-19 that night and Mike Conley only played 25 minutes and change. JMAC filled in 17:22 the rest and had his worst game of the season going 0-4 when wide open from deep and finishing 1-6 for the game. Mike was 1-3 from deep, 3-5 from the field and had 7 points. Anyway, we can and will raise our game for the playoffs, and the whistles won’t be as free flowing, so do I want the Pels, not especially, do I fear them, not especially.

The Suns have scoring power, but they lack depth. In the playoffs you don’t need as much depth, and the Suns are therefore more dangerous. That said, they need to stay healthy and that has proven problematic for them.

The Kings and Mavs are both favorable matchups for us. Luka is scary but even with him dropping 40 we can still win.
frankenwolf
Sophomore
And1: 216

Post#73 » by frankenwolf » Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:40 pm

winforlose wrote:

Most people say the Pels. I actually happen to disagree. We lost both games against Zion. One of them was a referee game where they shot 40-16 free throws in competitive minutes. I don’t see that happening in a 1-8 or 2-7 playoff game. The other game was a massive power outage for the Wolves. We shot 45% from the field and 32% from deep. Karl went 8-19 that night and Mike Conley only played 25 minutes and change. JMAC filled in 17:22 the rest and had his worst game of the season going 0-4 when wide open from deep and finishing 1-6 for the game. Mike was 1-3 from deep, 3-5 from the field and had 7 points. Anyway, we can and will raise our game for the playoffs, and the whistles won’t be as free flowing, so do I want the Pels, not especially, do I fear them, not especially.

The Suns have scoring power, but they lack depth. In the playoffs you don’t need as much depth, and the Suns are therefore more dangerous. That said, they need to stay healthy and that has proven problematic for them.

The Kings and Mavs are both favorable matchups for us. Luka is scary but even with him dropping 40 we can still win.

Just to be upfront about this, I am still predicting the Wolves to win it all this year, but, if the NBA is looking for "headline" games/series, they may very well promote a Pels upsetting the Wolves, which would, of course, include the reffing. I think we should win every 7 game series, however.... What does Adam Silver want??
Minnesota Timberwolves- 2024 NBA Champions :D :D
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,622

Post#74 » by Worm Guts » Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:18 pm

frankenwolf wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Just to be upfront about this, I am still predicting the Wolves to win it all this year, but, if the NBA is looking for "headline" games/series, they may very well promote a Pels upsetting the Wolves, which would, of course, include the reffing. I think we should win every 7 game series, however.... What does Adam Silver want??

If you think it works that way, I'm not sure why you even watch.
shrink
RealGM

Post#75 » by shrink » Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:18 pm

I think Silver has his finger on the scale, but if your team wins by enough, they can’t do anything about it.

The NBA makes more money if the franchise teams and players they have marketed do well in the playoffs. Maybe I’m being a bit of a conspiracy theorist, but I try not to underestimate businesses desire to make money.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#76 » by Worm Guts » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:50 pm

shrink wrote:I think Silver has his finger on the scale, but if your team wins by enough, they can’t do anything about it.

The NBA makes more money if the franchise teams and players they have marketed do well in the playoffs. Maybe I’m being a bit of a conspiracy theorist, but I try not to underestimate businesses desire to make money.

I think it’s pretty unlikely Silver is sending out directives to referees to favor certain teams. That would ruin the league if it came out, and it would.
Is there someway to subtly influence the outcome without being so straightforward? I don’t know, but that would be more plausible at least.
frankenwolf
Sophomore
And1: 216

Post#77 » by frankenwolf » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:00 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
shrink wrote:I think Silver has his finger on the scale, but if your team wins by enough, they can’t do anything about it.

I think it’s pretty unlikely Silver is sending out directives to referees to favor certain teams. That would ruin the league if it came out, and it would.
Is there someway to subtly influence the outcome without being so straightforward? I don’t know, but that would be more plausible at least.

In your opinion, is each player in the NBA reffed the same? That is the subtlety that is in effect right now. That is the way that can definitely effect games and series.
Minnesota Timberwolves- 2024 NBA Champions :D :D
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#78 » by Worm Guts » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:28 pm

frankenwolf wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

In your opinion, is each player in the NBA reffed the same? That is the subtlety that is in effect right now. That is the way that can definitely effect games and series.

I'm sure not, but I don't think that difference initiates from the commissioner's office. I don't think they are told to referee players differently, that's more an individual bias.
FrenchMinnyFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 524

Post#79 » by FrenchMinnyFan » Sat Mar 2, 2024 10:12 am

Did not change my mind. We are good but but as good as Denver of Clippers if healthy. As i say before, Semi Final Conference is the minimum, i will be delighted if we make the WCF. And of course get the title next year :)
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#80 » by KGdaBom » Sat Mar 2, 2024 11:48 am

FrenchMinnyFan wrote:Did not change my mind. We are good but but as good as Denver of Clippers if healthy. As i say before, Semi Final Conference is the minimum, i will be delighted if we make the WCF. And of course get the title next year :)

Why not get the title this year?

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves