ImageImageImage

Who wants to see KG win a ring?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

MN Die Hard
Analyst
And1: 0

Who wants to see KG win a ring? 

Post#1 » by MN Die Hard » Thu Jan 3, 2008 2:02 pm

I'm sure pretty much everyone does, and those have always been my feelings as well. But recently I've wondered if I'm ready to hear all the negative comments toward the Wolves (and specifically McHale) if Boston wins the title this year.

Can you imagine how much we'll hear about how stupid the Wolves were to trade one of the best players in the league, and how it made Boston so great? How many times will we hear the stupid joke "Kevin McHale should get a ring for his role in the Celtics' title"? Or hear about all the other great trades MN "could have" made.

I mean, everyone in MN knew this would be a rebuilding year, and that Boston would be pretty damn solid. But it seems like nobody outside MN looks at the big picture, and just talks about how MN is the worst team in the league. In reality, one of our best players hasnt played yet this season, and we will add a great player in the draft next year (as we expected to do after the KG trade). If you add Foye and Beasley/Rose/Mayo to this year's team, all of a sudden the situation looks promising.

Yeah I guess I'd still like to see KG get his ring, but I just dont look forward to all the idiots talking about how stupid the Wolves were for trading him and handing Boston the title this year.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,843

Post#2 » by C.lupus » Thu Jan 3, 2008 2:09 pm

I agree with everything. I want to see KG get his ring, if for no other reason than to shut up the people who say Duncan is WAY better because he has jewelry.

The others outside of MN, I really couldn't care less what they think. Most of them don't know what they are talking about. The final judgement on this trade will be in 3-5 years when we have our rebuilt team and KG's career is declining.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,906

Post#3 » by theGreatRC » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:07 pm

I want to see KG win his ring so badly, that would be a feat seeing him hold up at trophy with all of his emotions. I wonder what his speech would be.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
drza
Analyst
And1: 1,852

Post#4 » by drza » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:13 pm

I dramatically want KG to win a ring, and I didn't (and still don't) think trading him was the right decision for Minnesota. Nevertheless, what's done is done and there's no going back so I'll hope that this rebuild works out the way we would like it to...and that in the meantime, while the Wolves are rebuilding hopefully KG is stacking rings over the next few years...
Creator of the Hoops Lab: tinyurl.com/mpo2brj
Contributor to NylonCalculusDOTcom
Contributor to TYTSports: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTbFEVCpx9shKEsZl7FcRHzpGO1dPoimk
Follow on Twitter: @ProfessorDrz
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 765

Post#5 » by karch34 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:19 pm

I still like KG. I'm happy for all the good times he brought me in seeing him play. I'd be happy to see him get his ring, but at the same time I am so sick of Boston area fans that I find myself happy when the Celtics lose. So I guess I'm saying I won't be upset if he does or doesn't.

I don't want to hear the backlash though. I think it will be deserved since they really didn't build around him correctly while he was here, but I'm just ready to move on from all that.

One interesting bit in Sporting News was a there was a scout who considers KG the MVP this year, but said he has yet to play with his back to the basket all year. Not trying to be negative, I just thought that was interesting.
Gunny
Pro Prospect
And1: 491

Post#6 » by Gunny » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:25 pm

I'm more of a Wolves fan than a Garnett fan, but I'd still like to see him get his ring. If anyone deserves it, he does.

But then again, like MN Die Hard stated, everyone will be blasting Minnesota even more because the Wolves FO couldn't get it done to win a ring here. They would be right in that regard.
horaceworthy
Head Coach
And1: 250

Post#7 » by horaceworthy » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:59 pm

The funny thing about all the people that will blast Minnesota for trading him is that they'll be the same people who were constantly writing about how the Wolves needed to trade KG and give him a chance at a ring.
"A while back,'' Cardinal said, "I took a picture of the standings and texted it to Love, just to bust his chops,'' Cardinal said. "He sent me a picture back of a snowdrift.''
shane5153
Freshman

Post#8 » by shane5153 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 5:06 pm

I love KG, i want him to win more than one ring. Boston is my #2 favorite team lol
funkatron101
General Manager
And1: 987

Post#9 » by funkatron101 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 5:19 pm

horaceworthy wrote:The funny thing about all the people that will blast Minnesota for trading him is that they'll be the same people who were constantly writing about how the Wolves needed to trade KG and give him a chance at a ring.

Yep. KG staying here does nothing for us. Boston is contender now because they were bad enough to accumulate a number of young talented and tradable pieces. Keeping KG here would have meant more years of mediocre draft picks, without being able to attract any key free agents, and worst of all, KG would have likely pleaded to keep Hudson.

We would have needed to do what Boston did, and we just didn't have the players to do it with.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,330

Post#10 » by shrink » Thu Jan 3, 2008 6:15 pm

Is there anyone here that doesn't?
OB- wan
Senior
And1: 3

Re: Who wants to see KG win a ring? 

Post#11 » by OB- wan » Thu Jan 3, 2008 6:32 pm

MN Die Hard wrote: Can you imagine how much we'll hear about how stupid the Wolves were to trade one of the best players in the league, and how it made Boston so great? How many times will we hear the stupid joke "Kevin McHale should get a ring for his role in the Celtics' title"? Or hear about all the other great trades MN "could have" made.

The Boston fans had to deal with that after Danny Ainge made the Pistons title possible by being the 3rd team in the Sheed to Detroit deal.

It's sometimes a tough pill to swallow but smart fans know the real deal. It's mainly weak sports writers that don't have anything better to come up with and take the path of least resistance in their job.

Make fun of McHale...hmmm...that's easy and my work day is complete.

You guys will have to deal with a lot of second guessers and hindsight experts but it worked out for the Celtics and there's no reason it won't eventually work out for the Wolves.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,882

Post#12 » by Calinks » Thu Jan 3, 2008 6:36 pm

Of course I want to see KG get his ring. I love the guy. I haven't been following the Celtics as much as thought I would, I guess I'm just a diehard wolves fan but I still root for them to win 80 out 82 games.

I'm a little bitter towards the people who claimed to be true wolves fans and then jumped ship that type of player where I can understand it. I want KG to get multiple titles and shut everybody's face, including one of my older brothers. I will follow the Celtics closely during the playoffs.

As for the backlash, I don't even care about. We deserve most of it anyway. It's not like most of it will be unwarranted, we had a good thing and we messed it up. Hopefully the backlash will put more pressure on our front office not to mess it up again with Big Al.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
MN Die Hard
Analyst

Post#13 » by MN Die Hard » Thu Jan 3, 2008 6:54 pm

shrink wrote:Is there anyone here that doesn't?

Obviously this isnt possible and it doesnt make any sense, but I wish we could see KG succeed and Boston fail.

And as much as KG is loved here in MN still, I think he could have taken the high road after the trade instead of taking shots at the organization.
funkatron101
General Manager
And1: 987

Post#14 » by funkatron101 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:04 pm

MN Die Hard wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Obviously this isnt possible and it doesnt make any sense, but I wish we could see KG succeed and Boston fail.

And as much as KG is loved here in MN still, I think he could have taken the high road after the trade instead of taking shots at the organization.

He wasn't the only one taking shots though. The Taylor interview pointed the finger at KG quite a few times.
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#15 » by deeney0 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:16 pm

A ring? I'm baking on Boston for the threepeat.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#16 » by Devilzsidewalk » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:19 pm

Boston had better trade assets:

Gomes, Telfair, Ratliff, all expiring and useful rotation players, stud unique young bigman in Jefferson, the semi intriguing Gerald Green, #5 pick, their future #1's intact plus our #1, good young players like Rondo, Tony Allen and Perk to withstand a trade and still have some depth left, plus the success of the franchise to afford to go over the cap and withstand.

Wolves had a bunch of overpaid role players - none of them even close to expiring, #7 pick, Foye, injured McCants, and Ricky Davis. Plus Glen Taylor who was tired of losing money. KG had to go at that point. After letting Spree's contract expire for nothing... we pretty much were done at that point.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,619

Post#17 » by Worm Guts » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:19 pm

deeney0 wrote:A ring? I'm baking on Boston for the threepeat.

Remember we have their pick in '09. Hopefully they win it this year, suck next (injuries?), then win again in '10.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#18 » by Devilzsidewalk » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:22 pm

I wonder if we could've let Boston keep Gerald, Sebastian and their own first and gotten Rondo in the deal
shrink
RealGM

Post#19 » by shrink » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:33 pm

Worm Guts wrote: Remember we have their pick in '09. Hopefully they win it this year, suck next (injuries?), then win again in '10.

I could very well see that happening. Garnett is a rock, but Ray Allen isn't the same guy who was immune from injuries as he was earlier in his career. And we know Pierce can take a licking, but his job on this team is penetration, and that always provides the chance for injuries. He was out for a number of games last year, if I recall.

I'm not wishing them any harm of course, but none of them are young and invulnerable, so that's a legitimate scenario.
shrink
RealGM

Post#20 » by shrink » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:39 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:I wonder if we could've let Boston keep Gerald, Sebastian and their own first and gotten Rondo in the deal

I doubt it. You never know what's going on in the minds of GM's, but if the BOS fans are any indication, they were happy to move Telfair and many didn't want Gerald Green around either. A pick is a pick (I think McHale held out for the '09, because the '08 would most likely be 28-30), but I think PHO needed a PG so badly that Rondo was off the table.

I bet we'll never know though.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves