Ratliff for Miles, Frye, Jack and 09 pick + 08 2nd rd pick

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

see4miles
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Ratliff for Miles, Frye, Jack and 09 pick + 08 2nd rd pick 

Post#1 » by see4miles » Wed Jan 9, 2008 2:34 pm

Hi there,

Blazers fan here. I'm not sure if you're allowed to trade injured players but would you consider the above trade.

Ratliff is not going to add anything to you this season.

I think Miles has finally got it but unfortunately we have three players at SF who are gelling really well.

Frye and Jack will give you new options and competition plus they are good trade chips for next year and they are used to playing in adversity and not giving up.
I would keep them but we have to make room next year for Freeland and Fernandez to come over from Spain.

The 09 pick will help the rebuilding and the second round pick could give you the chance to pick a lottery-esque player but not gamble on a guranteed contract!

All comments welcome! :wink:
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,843

Post#2 » by C.lupus » Wed Jan 9, 2008 3:21 pm

Its probably fair value-wise. I like getting the picks and I like Jack (not sure how Frye would fit here). However:
1. I don't want Miles on this team
2. This would leave us 2 players over the limit.
3. We need Ratliff's expiring if we are going to re-sign Smith, Gomes, or Telfair

So, I would say no.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,340

Post#3 » by shrink » Wed Jan 9, 2008 3:22 pm

While I think you've done a decent job trying to make this a deal of value to the Wolves, I think it would be an easy "no."

First, the Wolves are going to have problems staying under the lux next season, so adding $13 mil in guaranteed salaries is going to surely mean that they can't re-sign Gomes, Craig Smith, Telfair, or maybe even Chris Richard.

Second, the Wolves are at their 15 man roster limit right now, so they'd have to buy-out two players before they could accept a 1-for-3 deal.

Third, Glen Taylor has specificly said that "We do not need a player like Darius Miles on our team"

Finally, this trade means that the wolves are taking on $18 mil in future salary for Darius Miles. Late firsts generally sell for $3 mil. I'm not sure the package is there. Moreover, POR is over the lux next season, so the Blazers are actually saving $27 mil, plus the guaranteed salaries of Jack and Frye.

If I was to redo this trade, I'd focus on moving Miles looking for two-year deals, which MIN certainly has. While POR still has the lux problem, their big foray into free agency won't be until then anyway, when LaFrentz and Steve Francis come off the books to the tune of $28 mil. Reducing a year on Miles would make it $37 mil, and make POR a major major player for acquiring the top free agents. MIN can afford to move two-year deals, since they have never been big attractors of free agents. Adding a year to the contract doesn't prevent them from extending their own lottery youth either.

I'd base it around Walker (2-years) for Miles + incentives.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,623

Post#4 » by Worm Guts » Wed Jan 9, 2008 3:23 pm

C.lupus wrote:3. We need Ratliff's expiring if we are going to re-sign Smith, Gomes, or Telfair

We probably shouldn't resign any of these players.
shrink
RealGM

Post#5 » by shrink » Wed Jan 9, 2008 3:28 pm

These work:

Walker (2-year) + Doleac (exp) for Miles (3) + Jack (2) + pick

Walker (2) + Doleac (exp) + Buckner (2) + Jaric (4) for Miles (3) + Jack (2) + Frye (2) + Przbilla (4) + pick

(Jaric and Pryz both have four year deals -- I thought you might prefer making more playing time for Oden. Jaric can play three positions, so he's handy)
shrink
RealGM

Post#6 » by shrink » Wed Jan 9, 2008 3:34 pm

Worm Guts wrote: We probably shouldn't resign any of these players.

I'm not so sure, and I think it really depends on the price, and what we are looking at in the draft. I think all three can play their way onto this team.

I like Craig Smith as a back-up PF, but only if we can get a true center. I don't like Al and Craig on the floor at the same time,

I like Gomes attitude and his flexibility, and I can see him as a very good back-up SF. The speed of Brewer's development (I assume that's where he's headed) should affect our need for Gomes playing starter minutes there too.

As for Telfair, he may be crowded out. I know the Wolves win big if foye can truly be a PG, and they will make every effort to develop him there, but its possible he ends up as a SG. Perhaps we use the top pick next season to draft a PG, but if we have other needs, sudddenly Telfair becomes a very important player for us.

Wormguts, you may be right, that it may be a mistake to sign those guys. Right now though, I think our team is so malleable, that I wouldn't want to commit the salary that forces us to lose them. We don't know if they may become very important to the Wolve's future.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#7 » by Worm Guts » Wed Jan 9, 2008 3:48 pm

shrink wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Wormguts, you may be right, that it may be a mistake to sign those guys. Right now though, I think our team is so malleable, that I wouldn't want to commit the salary that forces us to lose them. We don't know if they may become very important to the Wolve's future.

The reason I'm against signing Smith, Gomes, and Telfair is the same reason I would be against this trade. I'm looking toward potential cap space 2009 and I think we need some roster flexibility to go after the best players.
It may be unlikely for us to sign a premier free agent but I don't want to miss the opportunity because we've committed ourselves to backup caliber players.
see4miles
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#8 » by see4miles » Wed Jan 9, 2008 4:39 pm

First of all, may I say thankyou for the insightful answers that i have received. Always a pleasure not to have a trade idea immediately shot down!

I see your points about luxury tax etc. And I think the Antoine Walker deal plus Doleac makes the most sense for both teams.

With reference to Telfair I think the market for him is tiny so if you do want to sign him I think there's a fairly high chance that he'd be available for the Veteran's minimum, especially with his baggage. i think Jack would be a HUGE upgrade there. I still think Frye could offer another makeshift center or soemone to play good minutes with Jefferson at PF, if you wanted him thrown in.
horaceworthy
Head Coach
And1: 250

Post#9 » by horaceworthy » Wed Jan 9, 2008 5:27 pm

Worm Guts wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

The reason I'm against signing Smith, Gomes, and Telfair is the same reason I would be against this trade. I'm looking toward potential cap space 2009 and I think we need some roster flexibility to go after the best players.
It may be unlikely for us to sign a premier free agent but I don't want to miss the opportunity because we've committed ourselves to backup caliber players.

Depending on their price, we might be able to sign 2 of them and still have over $10 million in cap room in 09 (that's the conservative estimate). It all depends on how much they're looking for.
"A while back,'' Cardinal said, "I took a picture of the standings and texted it to Love, just to bust his chops,'' Cardinal said. "He sent me a picture back of a snowdrift.''
shrink
RealGM

Post#10 » by shrink » Wed Jan 9, 2008 5:37 pm

Also it should be noted that MIN will be competing for free agents with MANY teams in 2009, who will also have cap room.
shrink
RealGM

Post#11 » by shrink » Wed Jan 9, 2008 5:42 pm

see4miles, I'm always happy to see an earnest trade offer, where a team isn't trying to rip somebody off, so it was nice to get yours.

I don't know if Glen Taylor would get on board with it, but you might wants to run the "Walker + Doleac for Miles + "stuff"" offer past the posters on the POR board. Walker's contract is odd, so be sure to mention he can be released in the summer of 2009. He's also got a bad rep, but he's surprised many of us with what a good teammate he's been, and his production (about 10 PPG, 4 RPG, and 1 three).

I realize the deal is basicly for his contract though, so let us know what the consensus on the "stuff" POR would give to move Miles extra $9 mil, and get his contract to align with your other big expirings for your free agent foray in 2009.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#12 » by Worm Guts » Wed Jan 9, 2008 6:32 pm

horaceworthy wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Depending on their price, we might be able to sign 2 of them and still have over $10 million in cap room in 09 (that's the conservative estimate). It all depends on how much they're looking for.

I think we should be looking to be a full max contract under the cap. Right now we're not a very attractive place for free agents but there's things we could do to change that. Gomes and Smith are alright but they're both physically limited at positions where we already have solid prospects. I don't think we lose much if we let them walk.
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#13 » by deeney0 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 6:33 pm

I don't like it one bit. It's basically paying $22mil for a pick, when the going rate is about $3mil. I'm not a fan of Jack or Frye.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,843

Post#14 » by C.lupus » Wed Jan 9, 2008 6:59 pm

Worm Guts wrote:I think we should be looking to be a full max contract under the cap. Right now we're not a very attractive place for free agents but there's things we could do to change that. Gomes and Smith are alright but they're both physically limited at positions where we already have solid prospects. I don't think we lose much if we let them walk.

I hear you and I agree mostly. I was just advocating for having the financial flexibility to sign one ore more of them (or another FA) IF that's what we wanted to do.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#15 » by revprodeji » Wed Jan 9, 2008 7:24 pm

I think a Walker deal would be good for both teams.

I am kind of high on Frye as a fit with Al. Not only is he a decent defender/shot blocker as a 5, but he also brings a high post shot which would allow him and Al to be on the court at the same time and have a decent offense.

I really think Frye would be a good fit.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#16 » by revprodeji » Wed Jan 9, 2008 7:37 pm

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=748389

Portland rubes dont like it, which means it is possible.
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#17 » by 4ho5ive » Wed Jan 9, 2008 8:26 pm

I like Frye, just like Rev mentioned, he brings alot of things here that we are looking for in a back-up 5. He's got a decent jumper to spread the floor, plays good D and can rebound well also. Jack is more so-so to me, he is a better shooter than Telfair but i dont think he runs the Point better. If we have a shot at keeping Sebass, I would rather do that.

Im surprised D.Miles isnt on your list of players you dont want in the rebuild Rev.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by revprodeji » Wed Jan 9, 2008 8:44 pm

Miles is an enigma to me. I still wonder if he could do/be something. I would not expect Taylor to spend the money to buy him out, but if he does not travel with the team then who cares.

Frye could be a starter for us. He is a smart player, he blocks and is a fair rebounder. His mid range game is very attractive next to Al.

I like Bassy better than Jack also

For me Walker +Doleac for Miles+frye+2009 1st would be a good deal for us.
the_bruce
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#19 » by the_bruce » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Frye would be a great fit next to Al imo.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves