First round match-up: Pens or Devils?

Moderator: BigSlam

Dennis Vial
Ballboy
And1: 0

First round match-up: Pens or Devils? 

Post#1 » by Dennis Vial » Tue Apr 3, 2007 6:38 pm

Right now if the regular season ended today we'd be facing the Pens, but with a couple games left for both NJ and Pittsburgh there's still a possibility that they might flip-flop. We play them both with the Devils tonight and the Pens at home on Thursday, so it's almost like we control our own destiny.

With that being said, who would you rather face? Me, New Jersey scares the crap out of me because they always show up for the playoffs not to mention trying to get the puck past one of the best if not the best goalie in the NHL in Brodeur. But on the flipside, Pittsburgh can't be taken lightly either. Beating us would just prolong their "Cinderella" season and with players like Sid the Kid, Malkin, Recchi, Roberts, etc they are definitely for real.

Right now I'd have to say I'd prefer playing the Pens just because of the experience factor NJ have, but no matter who we play in the 1st round it's definitely gonna be a battle.

It's time to put up or shut up Sens fans. :wavefinger:
energizerk2
Bench Warmer

Post#2 » by energizerk2 » Wed Apr 4, 2007 3:34 am

I'd rather face the Pens for pretty much the same reasons you said. NJ have Brodeur and tons playoff experience, although they fired their head coach I still think they'd make a really tough matchup. Now the Pens on the other hand could make some noise but will probably falter in the series. They have MAF in net and I'm not sure he can play up to snuff in a playoff situation IMO but I could be proven wrong. Other than that both teams will be hard. Hopefully the Sens go all the way.
MAS
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35

Post#3 » by MAS » Wed Apr 4, 2007 3:57 am

It's not gonna be easy no matter who you face.

Sens fans should not be surprised if they lose in the 1st round again, you'll be going up against a good team no matter what
BringBackPopeye
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#4 » by BringBackPopeye » Wed Apr 4, 2007 1:03 pm

sens fans shouldn't be surprised if they lose but I know I will be damn disappointed if that happens. The sens are the second best team in the east, the only big problem right now is they can't seem to beat anybody in a shootout but that won't cost them in the playoffs.

I would rather see them face the pens, out of any team the devils scare me the most especially if they get some of their players back. A solid team with a goalie that can steal a game or two by himself every playoff series is a team I would want to avoid
Dennis Vial
Ballboy

Post#5 » by Dennis Vial » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:16 pm

If the Sens go out early then they are out. What can you do? There are so many good teams in the playoffs this year it is unrealistic to think the Sens will dominate everyone.

Regardless of what happens... this is what I see happening heading into next year. Muckler retires. Murray moves upstairs to the GM position. Either Cunnyworth or Claude Julien becomes the next head coach of Ottawa. Redden is traded to Edmonton in a 3-way deal... not sure who the 3rd team would be. Sens sign Philips to a long-term deal. Somehow, Murray is able to get rid of the Gerber contract to another team to free up space to start the Dany Heatley re-signing discussions.

All that being said... I hope the Sens go on a long playoff run. All we can do is stay positive and cheer them on.

This is the match-up I've been hoping for ... for the past 2 months. I think Ottawa should be able to capitalize on the youth factor for the Penguins. Fleury will be tested for sure as this will be his first taste of real hockey. I think Emery, after going through last year's playoff run, will be better prepared for this year. I look forward to seeing Volchenkov, Philips, and Fisher out against the Crosby and Roberts line every chance they get. I think the Penguins defence is very weak and Ottawa should be able to dump, chase and cause turnovers if they commit to that style of play. Forechecking the Pens D has got to be their number one priority in this round. Scoring chances off of turnovers is how I think Ottawa will come out on top.

The Pens are young and this should be an exciting series regardless. I just hope The Sens Win!!!!

GO SENS GO!!!!

Return to Ottawa Senators