ImageImageImage

Resign Forsberg!

Moderator: Morris_Shatford

Samson
Assistant Coach
And1: 247

Resign Forsberg! 

Post#1 » by Samson » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:35 am

We have a GREAT GREAT future ahead of us with an OUTSTANDING bumber-crop of young NHL talent, minor league talent, a boat load of draftpicks, very likely the #1 overall pick , plenty of cash, a rich ownership that historically has spent cash, FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY a real, undisputed #1 goalie...

....now we just need to get back Peter Forsberg over the summer, if he wants to play again...Peter Forsberg can and will lead this team to the Stanley Cup he could and should and would have led us to if not for Easy Eric Tindros....

Who's with me?
Joeflyers
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#2 » by Joeflyers » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:58 pm

I definitely want him back yet it is quite possible that it is the wrong move for the Flyers
Cru Thik
Lead Assistant
And1: 188

Post#3 » by Cru Thik » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:54 pm

Hells No Forsberg is garbage.
2 Time RealGM 76ers Fantasy Basketball Champ
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Re: Resign Forsberg! 

Post#4 » by Crowned » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:37 am

Samson wrote:We have a GREAT GREAT future ahead of us with an OUTSTANDING bumber-crop of young NHL talent, minor league talent, a boat load of draftpicks, very likely the #1 overall pick , plenty of cash, a rich ownership that historically has spent cash, FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY a real, undisputed #1 goalie...

....now we just need to get back Peter Forsberg over the summer, if he wants to play again...Peter Forsberg can and will lead this team to the Stanley Cup he could and should and would have led us to if not for Easy Eric Tindros....

Who's with me?

By the time your youth and draft picks develop, I doubt Forsberg would be productive enough to lead you to any title.
timd1218
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by timd1218 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:42 am

I think it would be a mistake to bring him back. He is injured all too often. Kariya, Briere, Drury will all be free agents in the offseason. Make a run at one of those players who will play the whole season. Go after someone like Hockey God Chris Drury who is mister clutch in the playoffs. I love that guy and the nickname. I would salivate everywhere if the Pens would get him in the offseason.
I know what you're thinking. We're in the middle of a city, what's a hawk doing there?
Joeflyers
Ballboy

Post#6 » by Joeflyers » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:51 pm

If the price is right (3, 4, 5 mil) I think you have to consider Forsberg
timd1218
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by timd1218 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:08 am

Joeflyers wrote:If the price is right (3, 4, 5 mil) I think you have to consider Forsberg

You can get a player like Kariya or Drury for the same amount of money. They will play more games as Forsberg, both provide the same leadership as Forsberg and will put up the same amount of points that Forsberg will put up in the games he plays in.

Actually, I think Hockey God and Kariya have more leadership than Forsberg.
I know what you're thinking. We're in the middle of a city, what's a hawk doing there?
Samson
Assistant Coach
And1: 247

Post#8 » by Samson » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:58 pm

How do you provide the type of leadership of one of the best players ever...MVP, NHL champ, Olympic hero, etc......I like Kariya and Drury...but we're talking Peter Forsberg here...
Joeflyers
Ballboy

Post#9 » by Joeflyers » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:10 pm

timd1218 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

You can get a player like Kariya or Drury for the same amount of money. They will play more games as Forsberg, both provide the same leadership as Forsberg and will put up the same amount of points that Forsberg will put up in the games he plays in.

Actually, I think Hockey God and Kariya have more leadership than Forsberg.

If we can get Drury for 3-5 million (which I highly doubt) I would completly agree with your point. We'll have to revisit this after the fact.
timd1218
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by timd1218 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:21 pm

Samson wrote:How do you provide the type of leadership of one of the best players ever...MVP, NHL champ, Olympic hero, etc......I like Kariya and Drury...but we're talking Peter Forsberg here...

Just because he accomplished those things, doesn't make him have great leadership. Chris Drury is one of the most clutch playoff performers in the game. Chris Drury was won at every level he has played at as well.
timd1218
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by timd1218 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:22 pm

Joeflyers wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

If we can get Drury for 3-5 million (which I highly doubt) I would completly agree with your point. We'll have to revisit this after the fact.

I think Drury is going to go after 5 million a year.
Cru Thik
Lead Assistant
And1: 188

Post#12 » by Cru Thik » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:14 am

I don't think Forsberg was much of a leader. He whined about this and that left and right. He didn't strike me as a leader at all. He might have been one of the best players in the world or the best. But he wasn't a leader or even a good example for this team and it's young players.
2 Time RealGM 76ers Fantasy Basketball Champ
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#13 » by Crowned » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:18 am

I don't see Forsberg as a suitable fit for the team, especially considering the state they're currently in. They're simply better off spending the large amount of money elsewhere. If Forsberg is willing to take a significant paycut, then there would likely be some interest. If you want leadership, I'm sure you can go out and sign/trade for a veteran and fill that role without taking such a cap hit.
Joeflyers
Ballboy

Post#14 » by Joeflyers » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:49 pm

I think that is the key point. If he is willing to sign with the Flyers for 3-4.5 million than we would have to listen.

Return to Philadelphia Flyers