ImageImageImageImageImage

2023-24 Trade Deadline Thread

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,079

Re: 2023-24 Trade Deadline Thread 

Post#261 » by Netaman » Tue Feb 6, 2024 12:22 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:CP3 is just so old lol, and I don’t see them sweetening it without a clear one player upgrade somewhere for them, meaning no picks and no Kuminga for us.

I’d do DFS and Dinwiddie for him though as a last minute deadline deal.

kuminga has been crushing it lately so yeah probably unrealistic.

dfs+din for cp3 + looney + a lotto protected FRP makes sense and cuts some money for next year.

Decipher
Rookie
And1: 995

Post#262 » by Decipher » Tue Feb 6, 2024 12:23 am

Seems cheap so DJM must really be on the outer at the Hawks IF TRUE

Read on Twitter
Netaman
Analyst

Post#263 » by Netaman » Tue Feb 6, 2024 1:49 am

Decipher wrote:Seems cheap so DJM must really be on the outer at the Hawks IF TRUE

Read on Twitter

if marks gets DJM that cheap bless him for having stones to patiently wait it out. If they only added on whatever they can get for DFS i think that's been a sort of logical outcome for a while now.

wouldn't be surprised if both sides have some kind of general framework like that agreed to and both sides just holding out a candle something better materialized.

some more from scotto (whose reporting has been solid lately):

Read on Twitter
Netaman
Analyst

Post#264 » by Netaman » Tue Feb 6, 2024 1:51 am

Scotto's interview:

Read on Twitter
Netaman
Analyst

Post#265 » by Netaman » Tue Feb 6, 2024 1:55 am

A lot of good intel from Scotto in there. Mentions the Royce/Mitchell friendship as something to keep in mind.
Tha King
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#266 » by Tha King » Tue Feb 6, 2024 3:30 am

TheNetsFan wrote:
Tha King wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:I don't get the romanticized fascination with wanting to go through a multi-year tank. Tanks take years of suck, luck and development. This team already has good relatively young pieces. Why rush to become Detroit or Charlotte?

regaining control of the picks would be more rebuild than tank. A rebuild doesn't always equal several years of ineptitude. The Pistons and Hornets are where they are for a multitude of reasons just like the Bulls (which would be an example on the other end). Orlando, Memphis, Houston, OKC, San Antonio, and Cleveland come to mind as teams that have had varying levels of rebuilds the past few years.

And those teams went through years of poor play, and still have no real playoff success to show for it. Same with Minny, the Process, etc.

playoff success is difficult to achieve and generally requires superstars, which you mainly acquire via draft. You could also ask, what playoff success has star chasing and trading away draft picks brought?

waiting on a Mitchell or a star trade in lieu of regaining draft control sounds more of the same, which hasn't led to any form of success.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,602

Post#267 » by TheNetsFan » Tue Feb 6, 2024 3:30 am

Netaman wrote:A lot of good intel from Scotto in there. Mentions the Royce/Mitchell friendship as something to keep in mind.

The Nets are not even hiding the fact they plan to make a play for Mitchell in '25.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,385

Post#268 » by Papi_swav » Tue Feb 6, 2024 3:37 am

TheNetsFan wrote:
Netaman wrote:A lot of good intel from Scotto in there. Mentions the Royce/Mitchell friendship as something to keep in mind.

The Nets are not even hiding the fact they plan to make a play for Mitchell in '25.

oh gosh please no
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,385

Post#269 » by Papi_swav » Tue Feb 6, 2024 3:38 am

I'll def take Murray if it only takes a 1st and Dinwiddie and other minor pieces for sure
Netaman
Analyst

Post#270 » by Netaman » Tue Feb 6, 2024 3:40 am

TheNetsFan wrote:

I think it's mostly just logic. It's been reported he wont extend in Cleveland, it's been well reported he wants to play in NYC, and now Knicks have Brunson (who will also probably opt out and get an extension that kicks in after next season).

Maybe he changes his mind on Cleveland if they make some kind of a run, but more likely i think they probably go out in rd 1/2 again and then the relationship enters a murky place over the summer.
Tha King
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#271 » by Tha King » Tue Feb 6, 2024 4:13 am

Netaman wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:

I think it's mostly just logic. It's been reported he wont extend in Cleveland, it's been well reported he wants to play in NYC, and now Knicks have Brunson (who will also probably opt out and get an extension that kicks in after next season).

Maybe he changes his mind on Cleveland if they make some kind of a run, but more likely i think they probably go out in rd 1/2 again and then the relationship enters a murky place over the summer.

The Cavs have a very strong roster, so if they can't get past the 1st round again what does that say? Don't think the Jazz made it past the 2nd round at any point either.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#272 » by Netaman » Tue Feb 6, 2024 3:34 pm

Tha King wrote:
Netaman wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:The Nets are not even hiding the fact they plan to make a play for Mitchell in '25.

The Cavs have a very strong roster, so if they can't get past the 1st round again what does that say? Don't think the Jazz made it past the 2nd round at any point either.

it says the same thing it does about every other super star who has never gotten past a conference finals - you usually need multiple stars. jimmy butler never carried the bulls that far, or minny, or philly before taking the heat to the finals twice.

the nets have like 7 tradeable first round picks so whether they were to sign mitchell as a FA or trade for him they will still have more ammunition left to add another star that gets them over the top.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach

Post#273 » by TheNetsFan » Tue Feb 6, 2024 3:51 pm

Netaman wrote:
Tha King wrote:
Netaman wrote:

it says the same thing it does about every other super star who has never gotten past a conference finals - you usually need multiple stars. jimmy butler never carried the bulls that far, or minny, or philly before taking the heat to the finals twice.

the nets have like 7 tradeable first round picks so whether they were to sign mitchell as a FA or trade for him they will still have more ammunition left to add another star that gets them over the top.

The problem with having so many tradeable, premium first round picks, is that teams will ask for all of those picks. They're going to start negotiating based on what they know you can afford, not what is fair value. That's why signing a FA first or somehow getting one on a discount (e.g. Murray or if the Wolves try to get out of KAT's supermax in the summer) is critical.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,456

Post#274 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Feb 6, 2024 4:29 pm

Papi_swav wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:

oh gosh please no

Accept your fate! :lol:
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#275 » by Netaman » Tue Feb 6, 2024 4:32 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:The problem with having so many tradeable, premium first round picks, is that teams will ask for all of those picks. They're going to start negotiating based on what they know you can afford, not what is fair value.

not how it works. teams take the best deals they can get. if the nets offer more than whatever the 2nd best deal is, the other team takes it. if any team is dealing a star it's not because they want to.

and just like lillard and kd, usually the star has a say in where they end up, and those were 2 extreme cases where the players werent even close to FA. someone like Mitchell who has a PO has a defacto no trade clause because it's unlikely anyone makes a big offer for him without him committing to extending.

nobody can predict when or if mitchell will hit the market, but if he does nets are the best positioned team since we know his top preference location wise is NY and knicks are going to probably max Brunson.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,456

Post#276 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Feb 6, 2024 11:16 pm

All these talks of a weak draft being parroted and it’s a seller’s market, and OKC specifically pretty much needing to move multiple picks this draft, they really need to try and get one of the better 2 of 3 ‘24 picks from them for DFS.

I’d also like to see them get aggressive with Cam Thomas on draft night, or see if a bottom 10 team will ship their pick only say top 1 protected for him.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Decipher
Rookie
And1: 995

Post#277 » by Decipher » Wed Feb 7, 2024 10:10 am

Fwiw, here’s my 5c worth

My overwhelming desire for this deadline is to choose a direction as I have found the last little while quite depressing to watch and there’s no point if it ain’t fun

Sitting around hoping that a star becomes available is a fool’s errand and I will be pissed if that’s the option but fear that will be the case

I can honestly see us ending up with D’lo for Din while kicking the can down the road

In itself, that wouldn’t be bad as D’lo is talented and would likely improve the team but I wouldn’t be surprised if a backcourt with Cam was comically bad at times as well

That deal might be supplemented by smallish trades yielding picks for the likes of DSJ and Royce

Personally, I am coming around to the idea of trading the twins

IF we could get 2 good young players (eg Jalen Green & Giddey) plus picks then I think that would be a good result
TheNetsFan
Head Coach

Post#278 » by TheNetsFan » Wed Feb 7, 2024 1:47 pm

Walker and DSJ could get moved for 2nd round picks. They're on minimum salaries, which means acquiring teams don't have to send back matching salary, and if they do, it's a simple match. They're very easy adds for contender.
bubonicphoniks
Bench Warmer
And1: 952

Post#279 » by bubonicphoniks » Wed Feb 7, 2024 2:48 pm

Feb 7th why is Specer Dinwiddie still on this team?
NetsWorld
Starter
And1: 1,031

Post#280 » by NetsWorld » Wed Feb 7, 2024 4:48 pm

Papi_swav wrote:I'll def take Murray if it only takes a 1st and Dinwiddie and other minor pieces for sure

From what I am reading at NetsDaily, Mr.Bobble head Bob Windhram is saying Murray isn't going anywhere. Nets are pathetic for not giving up a first rounder for him along with Dinwiddie from before if that is the case. It's going to be nothing but a headache from here until Tomorrow 3PM EST. If the Nets are not set on rebuilding, you have to make a move to help the team improve, and we need a quality consistent PG, that's the first step, along with firing the damn coach. Next Year, with the fat trimmed and Murray as your PG and a new HC, it will do wonders for us as a team. If Mitchelle is their goal, they can still fetch for him with other assets. Simmons contract will be valuable as it will be a nice expiring and there are still picks to play with and they can still trade for more picks to use as future assets.

Return to Brooklyn Nets