ImageImageImageImageImage

2023-24 Trade Deadline Thread

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Re: 2023-24 Trade Deadline Thread 

Post#281 » by Keith Van Horn » Wed Feb 7, 2024 5:22 pm

If the Nets are truly going to "stay the course" and try to build around what they have, why have they not made a deal for Murray yet is baffling to me. He's an upgrade over Spencer, who at this point we just want to get off this team. Spencer and a single 1st, maybe throw in a 2nd in there.

I don't mind either if we need to move on from DFS or Royce.

I wish there could be a counter to the Houston offer, where instead of sending Bridges, we send DFS to them to get our 2026 pick back.

But in reality, this is a wasted season. I always want to be the optimist, but there's got to be some sort of more serious approach to what direction we're going in. I feel like we are treading water while holding a 10 pound brick.

We won't be making the playoffs this year, and don't have control of our draft pick. And truthfully, this "stay the course" option doesn't really take off until Ben is off the team either. We're just kind of in limbo from now until Ben is gone. So if that's the case, let's make some moves for guys like Murray... or start restocking the war chest.
Tha King
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#282 » by Tha King » Wed Feb 7, 2024 5:27 pm

I think the roster is going to be drastically different on Thursday.
3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#283 » by 3pt_chucker » Wed Feb 7, 2024 5:32 pm

Hate keep being right about the negative stuff but I will be shocked if the Nets trade Royce/DFS/Dinwiddie or bring in a legit PG by the deadline.
Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#284 » by Claud » Wed Feb 7, 2024 6:48 pm

3pt_chucker wrote:Hate keep being right about the negative stuff but I will be shocked if the Nets trade Royce/DFS/Dinwiddie or bring in a legit PG by the deadline.

Yeah, most depressing season since Thad Young/Lopez era(pre Kenny/Marks).. would not expect much at the deadline.

You'd think at least they would want to move Dinwiddie who has been MIA for months now.. but here we are.

Clearly our number 1 need is a lead guard since most of our roster thrives playing off the ball.

Only Cam and Simmons are decent in that role, but not good enough since Cam is more of a scorer and Simmons is hardly ever available to play.

I would love to bring in Murray or Dlo to try to salvage something this season.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,456

Post#285 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Feb 7, 2024 6:51 pm

Tha King wrote:I think the roster is going to be drastically different on Thursday.

Hope so, but I’m struggling to see it actually come to fruition.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#286 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Feb 7, 2024 6:54 pm

3pt_chucker wrote:Hate keep being right about the negative stuff but I will be shocked if the Nets trade Royce/DFS/Dinwiddie or bring in a legit PG by the deadline.

Agreed. And then we’ll findout in the offseason or at All Star break that Marks turned down some great value trade for DFS like the 2nd best of OKC’s ‘24 1sts and Tre Mann or something like that.

DFS is one of the most overrated players in the league and why they keep holding on him like someone’s going to come off the 6xth overall pick for him makes me want to **** ing rage. :curse: :upset: :banghead:
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
NetsWorld
Starter
And1: 1,031

Post#287 » by NetsWorld » Wed Feb 7, 2024 6:56 pm

Tha King wrote:I think the roster is going to be drastically different on Thursday.

I don't see Dinwiddie here, DFS/Oneal may get packaged for Russell. But getting Murray and Russell would be a vast improvement over what we have now. The roster is so discombobulated and disorienting to watch play.
ChuckS
Bench Warmer
And1: 220

Post#288 » by ChuckS » Wed Feb 7, 2024 7:13 pm

We are too darn close for my nerves, so you could be right. I still have hopes, though, for a couple of reasons.

I believe Marks is too competent to not realize what needs to be done. The downside is that it "takes two to tango" and there is competition for everyone I've been considering. It's also concerning that in the recent past the repeater tax has been all determinative and that could prevail through next year.

I also cannot believe that in today's salary and tax climate someone wouldn't want $30 Mil of still valuable players on expiring contracts, and a player like DFS with his contract. I just do not know whether those that do have what we need.

I would also not be averse to using whatever picks it takes to finalize deals.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,602

Post#289 » by TheNetsFan » Wed Feb 7, 2024 8:00 pm

Keith Van Horn wrote:If the Nets are truly going to "stay the course" and try to build around what they have, why have they not made a deal for Murray yet is baffling to me. He's an upgrade over Spencer, who at this point we just want to get off this team. Spencer and a single 1st, maybe throw in a 2nd in there.

I don't mind either if we need to move on from DFS or Royce.

I wish there could be a counter to the Houston offer, where instead of sending Bridges, we send DFS to them to get our 2026 pick back.

But in reality, this is a wasted season. I always want to be the optimist, but there's got to be some sort of more serious approach to what direction we're going in. I feel like we are treading water while holding a 10 pound brick.

We won't be making the playoffs this year, and don't have control of our draft pick. And truthfully, this "stay the course" option doesn't really take off until Ben is off the team either. We're just kind of in limbo from now until Ben is gone. So if that's the case, let's make some moves for guys like Murray... or start restocking the war chest.

They want to reset the repeater tax. They need to stay below the tax this year & next year to do so. Trading for Murray, especially if he refuses to waive his trade kicker, will put them in danger of the tax line, especially if they retain Claxton & don't move DFS. I think some uncertainty about what Claxton might fetch on the open market is a big factor in their apprehension to pay up for Murray.
Decipher
Rookie
And1: 995

Post#290 » by Decipher » Wed Feb 7, 2024 10:41 pm

Lol

Read on Twitter
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#291 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Feb 7, 2024 11:00 pm

Decipher wrote:Lol

Read on Twitter

You see some of the responses to fans after that? He’s definitely mad at organization and JV.

And they have definitely jerked Jim around a lot over the years, but he’s been completely unprofessional this year no matter what human element we want to interject into the conversation. He’s acting like a bratty 20 year old prospect, he’s 100% been sulking and basically throwing the games out there, it’s disgusting.
Decipher
Rookie

Post#292 » by Decipher » Wed Feb 7, 2024 11:20 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:

Read on Twitter

You see some of the responses to fans after that? He’s definitely mad at organization and JV.

And they have definitely jerked Jim around a lot over the years, but he’s been completely unprofessional this year no matter what human element we want to interject into the conversation. He’s acting like a bratty 20 year old prospect, he’s 100% been sulking and basically throwing the games out there, it’s disgusting.

Probably known for a while that he isn’t going to be extended & might not believe that JV has put him in the best place to succeed

He’s playing 30 minutes per game though so you would have thought that he’d show some passion at some point even if it meant completely tearing up the gameplan and just going after his own

Instead just looks like he’s moping around the court
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#293 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Feb 7, 2024 11:27 pm

Decipher wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:

Read on Twitter

Probably known for a while that he isn’t going to be extended & might not believe that JV has put him in the best place to succeed

He’s playing 30 minutes per game though so you would have thought that he’d show some passion at some point even if it meant completely tearing up the gameplan and just going after his own

Exactly.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#294 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Feb 7, 2024 11:36 pm

What is the out of nowhere splashy move you’d love to see tomorrow?

And you can’t say Mitchell.

No totally unrealistic ones like Doncic or SGA either.

It can be a total blockbuster like Trae, or something more mid, like Sexton.

Let’s hear ‘em!
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#295 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Feb 8, 2024 12:24 am

I fear the Nets are going to trade Dinwiddie, DFS and Claxton for Murray and Capela with someone like Gueye, no first round picks involved.

Wouldn’t be upset, but it’s a bit weird and risky.

Claxton has become a bit underrated, but his looming UFA clouds things.
Decipher
Rookie

Post#296 » by Decipher » Thu Feb 8, 2024 12:47 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:I fear the Nets are going to trade Dinwiddie, DFS and Claxton for Murray and Capela with someone like Gueye, no first round picks involved.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Hawks stay pretty much how they are as they’re playing better lately
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#297 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Feb 8, 2024 12:49 am

Decipher wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:I fear the Nets are going to trade Dinwiddie, DFS and Claxton for Murray and Capela with someone like Gueye, no first round picks involved.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Hawks stay pretty much how they are as they’re playing better lately

Murray and Capella were late scratches. I’m guessing they have a number of offers on Murray and are mulling them over. Doesn’t mean anything is imminent, but they’re certainly taking no risks over one game right now.
Decipher
Rookie

Post#298 » by Decipher » Thu Feb 8, 2024 1:18 am

We’re all good

Read on Twitter
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#299 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Feb 8, 2024 1:37 am

Decipher wrote:We’re all good

Read on Twitter

They are giving Tsai the business in the replies, the business I tell ya! :lol:

Also what was up with the weird retweet of Bridges in his Tweet? I get it was from last deadline time frame wise, but weird. :-?
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,079

Post#300 » by Netaman » Thu Feb 8, 2024 1:45 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Decipher wrote:

Exactly.

x3. 100% dead on.

Return to Brooklyn Nets