ImageImageImageImageImage

Marks for Markkanen

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

ArksNetsSince99
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,390

Marks for Markkanen 

Post#1 » by ArksNetsSince99 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:03 pm

Is there any chance Nets could try to trade for Markkanen ?

What would have take to do it ?

I assume knowing Ainge , probably at least 2-3 FRP and some young fillers , although we don’t have much of those , I would prefer to keep CamT and Claxton
Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,497

Re: Marks for Markkanen 

Post#2 » by Stone » Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:46 pm

Marks isn't known to make big moves at the deadline. The KD thing last season was more of a handshake agreement that if things imploded, like they did with Kyrie, we would move KD to a team that he agreed on.

But, something has to give. Claxton is in a contract year. He is not getting the buzz he got last season when he was mentioned as an all star and even DPOY. Cam is hot and cold and lately more cold.

Looks like we got few more years of nursing the Harden hangover.
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
Marvin Martian
General Manager
And1: 5,395

Post#3 » by Marvin Martian » Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:16 pm

Markkanen is a forward. We already have like 5 of them. What we need is better guard play. I would rather chase Spida. Marks would be foolish to not make a big deal now. Our window closes when Bridges' contract expires. Because at that point he will get north of 200 million and you can forget about being a contender.
ArksNetsSince99
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,390

Post#4 » by ArksNetsSince99 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:21 pm

Stone wrote:Marks isn't known to make big moves at the deadline. The KD thing last season was more of a handshake agreement that if things imploded, like they did with Kyrie, we would move KD to a team that he agreed on.

But, something has to give. Claxton is in a contract year. He is not getting the buzz he got last season when he was mentioned as an all star and even DPOY. Cam is hot and cold and lately more cold.

Looks like we got few more years of nursing the Harden hangover.

Yea I agree about Claxton , his progression kind of even out , he’s not worse but I don’t see much improvement either if any , maybe FT shooting
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,079

Post#5 » by Netaman » Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:48 pm

I think the move is going to be for Mitchell. Think he wants Nets or Knicks and Nets have more to trade.
Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,497

Post#6 » by Stone » Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:59 am

Netaman wrote:I think the move is going to be for Mitchell. Think he wants Nets or Knicks and Nets have more to trade.

I could see that happening. Do the Cavs really need two 6'1 guards? They have Garland locked up long term. Mitchell has this season and the next one on the books, but a player option after that. Although that is a slippery slope, he could pull a Harden on us and walk.

Markkanen is only signed through the end of next season 24/25 also.
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
ChuckS
Bench Warmer
And1: 220

Post#7 » by ChuckS » Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:11 am

Netaman wrote:I think the move is going to be for Mitchell. Think he wants Nets or Knicks and Nets have more to trade.

I also think Mitchell, although I wouldn't be upset with Markkanen.

Also, and I don't like to think about it because they are favorites, but two of those trade pieces have expiring contracts totaling about $28M.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,385

Post#8 » by Papi_swav » Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:55 pm

I really hope we don't go after Mitchell. IDK why you guys want him so bad. He's good but he's not the guy to put us over the top
Marvin Martian
General Manager
And1: 5,395

Post#9 » by Marvin Martian » Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:59 pm

Papi_swav wrote:I really hope we don't go after Mitchell. IDK why you guys want him so bad. He's good but he's not the guy to put us over the top

Unless you have a generational talent (which we don't), winning championships has a lot to do with luck. And just like the lottery, you can't win unless you get yourself a ticket. Spida is our ticket

Leonard wasn't a true number one option in TOR and he won a ring due to injuries. Same with Giannis. Curry doesn't win his last ring if DEN was healthy. This all happened recently.

The league is wide open. No dynasties. We would have a better chance with Spida now, then in the next 3 years where we would have to play against prime Luka, Wemby, Hali, SGA etc
Tha King
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#10 » by Tha King » Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:32 pm

Papi_swav wrote:I really hope we don't go after Mitchell. IDK why you guys want him so bad. He's good but he's not the guy to put us over the top

agree.

The good thing is with Jaquez playing very well as a rookie and a wing the Cavs need along with Herro who can replicate some of Mitchell's scoring, if the Heat want Mitchell, they might actually have the strongest possible offer anyways considering the Cavs don't have their own picks and will want the best combination of players and picks.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Post#11 » by Keith Van Horn » Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:35 pm

Id be more into exploring what Mitchell would cost. We're severely lacking that kind of consistent firepower right now at that position.
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#12 » by Papi_swav » Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:38 pm

Marvin Martian wrote:

Unless you have a generational talent (which we don't), winning championships has a lot to do with luck. And just like the lottery, you can't win unless you get yourself a ticket. Spida is our ticket

Leonard wasn't a true number one option in TOR and he won a ring due to injuries. Same with Giannis. Curry doesn't win his last ring if DEN was healthy. This all happened recently.

The league is wide open. No dynasties. We would have a better chance with Spida now, then in the next 3 years where we would have to play against prime Luka, Wemby, Hali, SGA etc

Spida is not our ticket. We're a first round exit team right now at best. With spida we're a 2nd round exit at best. You don't throw away all your picks for that and Cavs would want all of our Suns, Mavs and Philly picks. I'm good
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,456

Post#13 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:01 am

Papi_swav wrote:
Marvin Martian wrote:

Spida is not our ticket. We're a first round exit team right now at best. With spida we're a 2nd round exit at best. You don't throw away all your picks for that and Cavs would want all of our Suns, Mavs and Philly picks. I'm good

The might want all those picks, but they probably wouldn’t get anything close to all of those.

They’d probably get Cam, Clowney, the Philly pick, one of the Suns and Mavs picks and two of our own picks, one probably being a year Houston has a swap option with us.

Maybe salary match with Ben. Or Dinwiddie and one of O’Neale or DFS.

Players of Mitchell’s caliber at his age don’t come around that often, if the above type of package could snag him and he wanted to be here, imho you jump on it.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Tha King
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#14 » by Tha King » Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:08 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:
Marvin Martian wrote:

The might want all those picks, but they probably wouldn’t get anything close to all of those.

They’d probably get Cam, Clowney, the Philly pick, one of the Suns and Mavs picks and two of our own picks, one probably being a year Houston has a swap option with us.

Players of Mitchell’s caliber at his age don’t come around that often, if the above type of package could snag him and he wanted to be here, imho you jump on it.

If the Heat put JJJ and Herro on the table, all of the good picks Brooklyn has would need to be included because imo there really isn't a combination of players Brooklyn would put up that are as good. Even if Cam Johnson were made available, if you're the Cavs you'd rather have JJJ who can arguably already do more and is rookie scale for the next few years. Cam Thomas can score, but we already knew that and he's yet to show his scoring can impact wins so not sure he'd be much of difference maker.
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#15 » by Papi_swav » Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:28 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:
Marvin Martian wrote:

eww absolutely not, that's way too much. You're talking 5 picks ! plus our 2 prospects for a 2nd round exit. No way Jose, D Mitchell is not that guy. I'd much rather go after Garland tbh
Eatgreenz
Senior
And1: 317

Post#16 » by Eatgreenz » Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:09 am

What do yall think of Cade if he actually became available.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Post#17 » by Keith Van Horn » Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:49 pm

Papi_swav wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:Spida is not our ticket. We're a first round exit team right now at best. With spida we're a 2nd round exit at best. You don't throw away all your picks for that and Cavs would want all of our Suns, Mavs and Philly picks. I'm good

eww absolutely not, that's way too much. You're talking 5 picks ! plus our 2 prospects for a 2nd round exit. No way Jose, D Mitchell is not that guy. I'd much rather go after Garland tbh

Mitchell is like a top... 15, 20 guy in the league?
But I agree it's all about the asking price. If he's going to cost us CamT plus 4 good picks... I'd balk a bit at that.
I'd much rather have them (or someone) take on Ben. But that will likely require us taking on a LOT of salary, plus moving picks.
Ugh.
drchaos
Rookie
And1: 417

Post#18 » by drchaos » Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:46 am

The problem with going all in for Mitchell is that we would end up lacking depth.

Signing him as a free agent means keeping more of our assets.

If we could trade for Maekkanen and still end up below the cap when Mitchell hits free agency Marks would deserve an extension.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#19 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:18 am

drchaos wrote:The problem with going all in for Mitchell is that we would end up lacking depth.

Signing him as a free agent means keeping more of our assets.

If we could trade for Maekkanen and still end up below the cap when Mitchell hits free agency Marks would deserve an extension.

Mitchell isn’t hitting free agency unless he stays on the Cavs.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#20 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:20 am

Tha King wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:Spida is not our ticket. We're a first round exit team right now at best. With spida we're a 2nd round exit at best. You don't throw away all your picks for that and Cavs would want all of our Suns, Mavs and Philly picks. I'm good

If the Heat put JJJ and Herro on the table, all of the good picks Brooklyn has would need to be included because imo there really isn't a combination of players Brooklyn would put up that are as good. Even if Cam Johnson were made available, if you're the Cavs you'd rather have JJJ who can arguably already do more and is rookie scale for the next few years. Cam Thomas can score, but we already knew that and he's yet to show his scoring can impact wins so not sure he'd be much of difference maker.

Could ring very true.

Still think Herro is a one good pick/2 mediocre picks and an expiring kind of guy though.

Return to Brooklyn Nets