Post#1 » by sule » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:03 am

This is fine.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Westside Gunn
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,091

Re: Austin Matthews has just scored 4 goals in his debut...and counting 

Post#2 » by Westside Gunn » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:22 am

What a debut but it was a loss. You gotta win these games. Last Leaf I believe to score 4 goals was Yanic Perrault, and that was against the Sens as well. I gotta give credit to Matthews' linemates. Found him at the right place at the right time in 3 of those 4 goals.

Guy Boucher is an expert in special teams, the moment OT started I knew he was going to take it. I wanted to see more of Marner and Mathews in OT but sadly it only lasted 40 seconds (thats what she said)

Marner is fast. He created a ton of chances for himself and for the offense, but I hope he doesn't develop some sort of tunnel vision because of his speed.

Fredrik Anderson was disappointing. Something didn't seem right but it's only 1 game.
i miss the days when the bricks was only nineteeeeeeeen, i need a 100 right now
BramptonYute
Head Coach
And1: 8,677

Post#3 » by BramptonYute » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:52 pm

Shame we didnt win, would have been the icing on the cake.

Oh well. Team defense overall was pretty bad.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,594

Post#4 » by Dr Positivity » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:24 am

Great night for the Leafs future. Mitch Marner jumped off the screen more than Matthews, though I feel the latter likely deserved his more productive night in subtle ways and he's supposed to be a great shooter. Nylander was key to Matthews night and Reilly's feed was beautiful although the defensive coverage as a team was quite bad
Next Coming
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,625

Post#5 » by Next Coming » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:40 pm

Between Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Brown, Hyman, Rielly, Zaistev we're looking really good. Just need the young buds to develop this year and next year we'll take a jump after another high pick.

Give me Patrick, Liljgreen, Vilardi, Foote or Rassmussen in the Top 10 next year and we're on our way.
North_of_Border
Pro Prospect
And1: 369

Post#6 » by North_of_Border » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:23 am

Patrick Laine is making me nervous. Matthews is a lagit top line C, and thats hard to find. But Laine looks like he us gonna take over the league very soon. I see them comparing McDavid and Laine in the near future. Not Matthews ad Laine.

I hope I am wrong.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using RealGM mobile app
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,249

Post#7 » by LLJ » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:08 pm

North_of_Border wrote:Patrick Laine is making me nervous. Matthews is a lagit top line C, and thats hard to find. But Laine looks like he us gonna take over the league very soon. I see them comparing McDavid and Laine in the near future. Not Matthews ad Laine.

I hope I am wrong.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using RealGM mobile app

It doesn't matter as long as Matthews turns out to be a top player in the league. If Laine and McDavid end up the next Crosby and Ovechkin, I'm fine with Matthews being, say, Toews.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#8 » by Crowned » Thu Nov 3, 2016 5:54 am

Laine will be a great goal scorer, and put up points on the powerplay. Unfortunately, his game isn't as well rounded as it is Matthews' right now. I still take Matthews over Laine and wouldn't think twice. One is a pure goal scorer, the other is an all around player. I take the all around player.
Westside Gunn
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by Westside Gunn » Mon Nov 7, 2016 4:35 pm

If I had to rank the rooks on the Leafs as of now, this is how it would be:

1) William Nylander
2) Mitchell Marner
3) Auston Matthews

It seems to me Auston Matthews is very easy to contain at this point. Can't carry the puck as well as Nylander or Marner, seems to me he's a front of the net player who will get the rebound and score some goals. Haven't seen the characteristics of that center yet. On the other hand Nylander and Marner seem like top playmakers and skaters alone.

If we're talking about Matthews vs Laine, I would take Laine anyday. Part of his potential scares you. His shot is deadly. Seems more dynamic and has that killer instinct. Scored 3 goals on the team that didn't draft him, shows something. I'm willing to eat crow on this.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,249

Post#10 » by LLJ » Mon Nov 7, 2016 4:39 pm

It does seem like Nylander can carry the puck around at will, and Marner is no slouch at that either. That said, it's easy to pick on Matthews when he's slumping now. He's been passing off most of the time when he has the puck. Other than some impressive charges to the net, he hasn't carried the puck around as much as Nylander has.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#11 » by Crowned » Tue Nov 8, 2016 2:19 am

Garlic Sauce wrote:If I had to rank the rooks on the Leafs as of now, this is how it would be:

1) William Nylander
2) Mitchell Marner
3) Auston Matthews

It seems to me Auston Matthews is very easy to contain at this point. Can't carry the puck as well as Nylander or Marner, seems to me he's a front of the net player who will get the rebound and score some goals. Haven't seen the characteristics of that center yet. On the other hand Nylander and Marner seem like top playmakers and skaters alone.

If we're talking about Matthews vs Laine, I would take Laine anyday. Part of his potential scares you. His shot is deadly. Seems more dynamic and has that killer instinct. Scored 3 goals on the team that didn't draft him, shows something. I'm willing to eat crow on this.

I think that's quite literally the opposite of his playing style. He's extremely creative with the puck.

...and to taking Laine anyday of the week over Matthews? Based on what? His shot? Or the one-timers he takes? What about his overall game makes him better than Matthews? Saying someone has a deadly shot doesn't make them a more complete hockey player.
Westside Gunn
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by Westside Gunn » Tue Nov 8, 2016 4:33 am

I haven't seen much of that creativity in comparison to Marner and Nylander. I think its because Nylander is doing most of the dump ins and skating the puck in to the offensive zone. He's a bit shy it seems, but it's all good he's a rookie and it should come around with time.

Laine vs Matthews: of course it's his shot. Look at the breakaways from Matthews and Laine in that OT game. Matthews attempt was pretty weak. That's the difference between players who can put the puck in the net and the ones that have to do a lot more to score. In terms of completeness, its far too early to judge on completeness of a player, but if I wanted to, I'll take the high scorer any day, specially with that killer instinct where you dropped 3 on the team that didn't draft you. But like I said I am willing to eat crow, I just like Laine's untimid style of play more.

We've had Nazem Kadri who looks to be good in all areas. Wins faceoffs, sets up plays, physical on both ends, but couldn't score to save his life last year. Even Babcock admitted we are in the business of scoring goals at the end of the day and he would need to step it up.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#13 » by Crowned » Tue Nov 8, 2016 7:18 am

His shot doesn't make him a better prospect or player, nor does a breakaway attempt in one game. It's not too early to talk about completeness, because Matthews is more of a complete player. He's better defensively, he's a center, has higher overall hockey IQ, has better advanced stats (already). He plays an overall more complete game, in almost every sense. Don't get me wrong, Laine is an absolute beast. I just think Matthews is a better fit for the Leafs, and is/will be a better overall player.

...and bringing up the "he scored 3 goals against the team that didn't draft him" can't be used as a point to debate overall skill. I could refute that by saying Matthews scored 4 goals in his first game, Matthews played significantly better in the World Cup (where Laine was awful), etc.

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs