ImageImageImage

Game Thread/Post Game: Leafs @ Islanders APRIL 5th @7:30 RSN

Moderator: Crowned

RapsVC15
RealGM
And1: 424

Post#61 » by RapsVC15 » Fri Apr 6, 2007 1:42 am

Most important period of the year and they come out with this crap.

:nonono:
Garbage2Hero
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 0

Post#62 » by Garbage2Hero » Fri Apr 6, 2007 1:43 am

its 4-2 right now , Islanders leading. So on saturday when the leafs play montreal..and both teams go into OT. Montreal gets 1 point automatically which gives them 91. IF the Leafs win then there tied with montreal with 91 points. How will this be decided ? .
j127
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41

Post#63 » by j127 » Fri Apr 6, 2007 1:45 am

Garbage2Hero wrote:its 4-2 right now , Islanders leading. So on saturday when the leafs play montreal..and both teams go into OT. Montreal gets 1 point automatically which gives them 91. IF the Leafs win then there tied with montreal with 91 points. How will this be decided ? .

I think it also depends how well Islanders do in their final two games (@ Philly, @ NJ).

If Toronto ends up winning over Montreal, I think Toronto also has to hope that the Isles lose at least one of their games.

I could be wrong. Correct me if I am.

Edit: Wait, you're right. If the Isles, Leafs, and Montreal all tie for the final spot, how is it determined?
RapsVC15
RealGM

Post#64 » by RapsVC15 » Fri Apr 6, 2007 1:47 am

Garbage2Hero wrote:its 4-2 right now , Islanders leading. So on saturday when the leafs play montreal..and both teams go into OT. Montreal gets 1 point automatically which gives them 91. IF the Leafs win then there tied with montreal with 91 points. How will this be decided ? .

Number of wins.

Bottom line, Leafs must win in regulation on Saturday.
Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4

Post#65 » by Snayr » Fri Apr 6, 2007 1:52 am

TJ11 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Number of wins.

Bottom line, Leafs must win in regulation on Saturday.

Yup, if Toronto wants to have a chance of getting in, they have to beat Montreal in regulation, because Montreal has more wins.
Montreal Canadiens Fan | Toronto Raptors Fan | Montreal Alouettes Fan - Proud to be Canadian!!
The-Insider
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#66 » by The-Insider » Fri Apr 6, 2007 1:55 am

That hurt :(
WHAT_DA
Lead Assistant
And1: 30

Post#67 » by WHAT_DA » Fri Apr 6, 2007 1:59 am

What a pitiful effort for a game of this magnitude. Raycroft started better then expected but reverted to his old self soon enough. I hope he gets that wins record. Maybe he can inject some much needed comedy into those boring record books.
Mak
RealGM
And1: 4,624

Post#68 » by Mak » Fri Apr 6, 2007 2:00 am

Amped wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Pfft, Leafs should be able to take this one with DiPietro out. If Raycroft can play steady goal this game should be no problem. The real challenge is the Canadians.

If they won all games they should have they would be in the playoffs by now.
The-Insider
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#69 » by The-Insider » Fri Apr 6, 2007 2:04 am

Mak wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

If they won all games they should have they would be in the playoffs by now.

Complete lack of effort. They didn't play hard against Philly either, so these last three games aren
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#70 » by Crowned » Fri Apr 6, 2007 2:07 am

WHAT_DA wrote:What a pitiful effort for a game of this magnitude. Raycroft started better then expected but reverted to his old self soon enough. I hope he gets that wins record. Maybe he can inject some much needed comedy into those boring record books.

His old self? Please tell me you're joking...you honestly think those goals were his fault? Please.

That was the worst period (the 3rd) of hockey I've seen in a long time. Even when it was 3-2, I couldn't watch it. The Leafs couldn't successfully break out of their end if their lives depended on it, their passes were everywhere and were slugglish. Let's not get into their defensive and offensive production out there, I don't know where to begin on their defensive play.

That goal by Blake was likely the worst goal I've seen all year. Defensively, they were all over the place. Pohl casually skated into the middle, Hal Gill was somewhere out by the blueline chasing Blake, one winger was beside the net, I'm not sure where the other winger was...this is while watching Blake skate all over the place. I watched in utter amazement.

Based on that 3rd period alone tonight, they don't deserve to make the playoffs...I haven't seen anything so ridiculous all season.
RapsVC15
RealGM

Post#71 » by RapsVC15 » Fri Apr 6, 2007 2:13 am

Crowned wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

His old self? Please tell me you're joking...you honestly think those goals were his fault? Please.

That was the worst period (the 3rd) of hockey I've seen in a long time. Even when it was 3-2, I couldn't watch it. The Leafs couldn't successfully break out of their end if their lives depended on it, their passes were everywhere and were slugglish. Let's not get into their defensive and offensive production out there, I don't know where to begin on their defensive play.

That goal by Blake was likely the worst goal I've seen all year. Defensively, they were all over the place. Pohl casually skated into the middle, Hal Gill was somewhere out by the blueline chasing Blake, one winger was beside the net, I'm not sure where the other winger was...this is while watching Blake skate all over the place. I watched in utter amazement.

Based on that 3rd period alone tonight, they don't deserve to make the playoffs...I haven't seen anything so ridiculous all season.

Exactly.

Razor was the least of the Leafs problems today. Leafs played lazy in the most important game of the year.
GQStylin
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,636

Post#72 » by GQStylin » Fri Apr 6, 2007 2:14 am

Well that was expected... :-?

Now its the Islanders and Habs who hold their own destiny rather than the Leafs. If they had come thru tonight then a win against the Habs would put them in. Now its all in the Isles and Habs hands.

If the Isles they win both of their games and Habs lose - Isles are in.

If Leafs win against Habs and Isles win both of their games - Isles are in.

If Habs win against Leafs - Habs are in.

Can we start the rebuild already??
Shantu
Sixth Man
And1: 248

Post#73 » by Shantu » Fri Apr 6, 2007 2:19 am

need a win on saturday but since isles control their destiny some of the hype is gone for the game.
WHAT_DA
Lead Assistant

Post#74 » by WHAT_DA » Fri Apr 6, 2007 2:20 am

Crowned wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Yeah, you know the guy with 2.94 GAA and the .895 sv%? Today was just a taste of what he's done all year, giving up questionable goals at inopportune times.

He's a nice guy though.
Osiris
"Beat The Commish" Champion
And1: 816

Post#75 » by Osiris » Fri Apr 6, 2007 2:22 am

Son of a....

Our inability to cash in on all that pressure in the first period wound up costing us big time.

At least the Rangers did their part. It's gonna be one hell of a battle Saturday night!
GQStylin
Assistant Coach

Post#76 » by GQStylin » Fri Apr 6, 2007 2:22 am

Shantu wrote:need a win on saturday but since isles control their destiny some of the hype is gone for the game.

If the Habs win, they're in regardless of what the Isles do. So the hype is still there.
GQStylin
Assistant Coach

Post#77 » by GQStylin » Fri Apr 6, 2007 2:27 am

I've been a Razor supporter for the most part, but despite the poor Leafs defensive play for this game and much of the season, at some point your goalie has got to make some key saves to keep you in the game.

So far this season, Raycroft has only done this a few times when we needed him to do it much more often, whereas a Brodeur or a Luongo has been doing it for most of the season for their team.
j127
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41

Post#78 » by j127 » Fri Apr 6, 2007 2:27 am

WHAT_DA wrote:Yeah, you know the guy with 2.94 GAA and the .895 sv%? Today was just a taste of what he's done all year, giving up questionable goals at inopportune times.

He's a nice guy though.

Exactly. Since we have such a GREAT defence, let's just blame Raycroft for this.

I don't think so. Unless we have an all-star goalie (which we all know we don't), our defence has to step up and actually be the first-line of defence for us. Too bad they aren't doing their job.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#79 » by Crowned » Fri Apr 6, 2007 2:41 am

WHAT_DA wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Yeah, you know the guy with 2.94 GAA and the .895 sv%? Today was just a taste of what he's done all year, giving up questionable goals at inopportune times.

He's a nice guy though.

I think this is another case of someone looking at the score, rather than watching how the goals went in.

Which goals exactly were Raycroft's fault, if you don't mind me asking. Mike Sillinger's goal, where he rotated infront of the net untouched, and one timed it from 5 feet out? How about Jason Blake's goal where he skated around the Leafs zone, also untouched...and let a shot go through traffic, which looked as if the puck was deflected. How about Aaron Asham's goal, the one where nobody decided to backcheck, while Asham unloaded an absolute bullet in the top corner?

Again, the goals were his fault? Hardly. They were all difficult goals, and shouldn't have happened in the first place. You're making it seem like he let in soft, fluky goals.
WHAT_DA
Lead Assistant

Post#80 » by WHAT_DA » Fri Apr 6, 2007 2:41 am

terryoh wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Exactly. Since we have such a GREAT defence, let's just blame Raycroft for this.

I don't think so. Unless we have an all-star goalie (which we all know we don't), our defence has to step up and actually be the first-line of defence for us. Too bad they aren't doing their job.

I don't deny that the defence has gaffs (though with their payroll they shouldn't but that's another thread) but Raycroft never seems to come up big. He goes down way too early, which cost him tonight multiple times tonight, his glove hand is weak and he consistently gives up long rebounds. He was outplayed by dubielewicz tonight.

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs