ImageImageImage

Twitter Rumour: Luongo for Bozak, Frattin, 1st or 2nd round

Moderator: Crowned

OhMyBosh
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,206

Twitter Rumour: Luongo for Bozak, Frattin, 1st or 2nd round 

Post#1 » by OhMyBosh » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:17 pm

NHLAlert_ apparently got the scoop that Luongo will be a Leaf once the deal is announced Thursday or Friday.

Not sure how accurate this guy's scoops are, but regardless, here's the tweet/discussion:

https://twitter.com/NHLAlert_

Edit: Twitter page removed. But rumours still flying regarding Luongo.
Brew666
Junior
And1: 22

Re: Twitter Rumour: Luongo for Bozak, Frattin, 1st or 2nd ro 

Post#2 » by Brew666 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:35 pm

I'm not going to pay it any mind until I hear from something a bit more legit.

And if that goes through, then I'm pissed. Reality is, no one knows what team this is and we got burned pretty bad the last time we dealt rounders. Now he's dealing another 1st for a (good) goalie on a horrible contract that will likely be amnestied if this trade doesn't go through. Just like Kessel wanting out of Boston and overpaying for him.
Ado05
RealGM
And1: 5,942

Post#3 » by Ado05 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:30 pm

Some Jennifer Benson girl tweeted this same thing. She claims she works for the Toronto sun.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,531
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#4 » by SharoneWright » Wed Jan 9, 2013 7:21 pm

I'd way rather Bozak and Kadri, as was the original rumour.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,049

Post#5 » by The_Hater » Wed Jan 9, 2013 8:19 pm

I've also just heard from a very good source that this exact trade is on the table and ready to be finalized Thursday or Friday.

We'll find out soon enough I guess.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
OhMyBosh
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,206

Post#6 » by OhMyBosh » Wed Jan 9, 2013 8:32 pm

If true, it's a bit odd that we removed Burke right before the deal.

Maybe Burke was the bottleneck in the trade.
The_Hater

Post#7 » by The_Hater » Wed Jan 9, 2013 8:35 pm

OhMyBosh wrote:If true, it's a bit odd that we removed Burke right before the deal.

Maybe Burke was the bottleneck in the trade.

Ya, that's been speculated by many. I wouldn't believe it's reasonable to think that it's the only reason but could have been the tip of the iceberg so to speak.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 22,025

Post#8 » by ATLTimekeeper » Wed Jan 9, 2013 8:40 pm

Ugh. Burke could have easily owned a stupid deal like that, so it seems kind of odd he'd dig in his heels at that point, but it's still a lot to give up for that contract.
The_Hater

Post#9 » by The_Hater » Wed Jan 9, 2013 9:22 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:Ugh. Burke could have easily owned a stupid deal like that, so it seems kind of odd he'd dig in his heels at that point, but it's still a lot to give up for that contract.

I think it's a terrible trade for the Leafs. It's a reactionary, desperate move of a team that has missed the playoffs for too long and not a forward thinking move at all.

It reminds me of the Gomez trade for Montreal. As we've learned watching the NBA for many years, when you're saving another franchise from a terrible contract you don't throw them a bunch of assets into the deal as well.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#10 » by Crowned » Wed Jan 9, 2013 9:58 pm

I don't get the infactuation with Luongo with some, notably ownership. Yes, he's a good goaltender. However, that contract will cripple the franchise. If we're trading Kadri and Gardiner, the Leafs could net a much better return.

Let Reimer and Scrivens start the season, and if they fail, look for a long term solution (i.e- Bernier). I truly think our tandem will fare just fine for now.
The_Hater

Post#11 » by The_Hater » Wed Jan 9, 2013 10:07 pm

Crowned wrote:I don't get the infactuation with Luongo with some, notably ownership. Yes, he's a good goaltender.

After last season even this is debateable. He played like a low-end starter at best.

Sure he might bounce back this year but at age 34 and with the contract he carries it's really a high risk, low reward proposition.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
UN-Owen
Banned User
And1: 409

Post#12 » by UN-Owen » Wed Jan 9, 2013 11:37 pm

Wouldn't you insist that Komisarek be involved if you're the Leafs?
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 33,381

Post#13 » by G R E Y » Wed Jan 9, 2013 11:41 pm

The_Hater wrote:
ATLTimekeeper wrote:Ugh. Burke could have easily owned a stupid deal like that, so it seems kind of odd he'd dig in his heels at that point, but it's still a lot to give up for that contract.

I think it's a terrible trade for the Leafs. It's a reactionary, desperate move of a team that has missed the playoffs for too long and not a forward thinking move at all.

It reminds me of the Gomez trade for Montreal. As we've learned watching the NBA for many years, when you're saving another franchise from a terrible contract you don't throw them a bunch of assets into the deal as well.

I agree. Luongo's not young, and not clutch (the Olympics being a blessed exception). But I think the fact that Florida has assets and Luongo likes it there are also factors that are raising our offer beyond what it ought to really be if we're solely considering true market value for that goalie on that contract. Unfortunately, that's not the sole consideration.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
UN-Owen
Banned User

Post#14 » by UN-Owen » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:30 am

Luongo had a .919 Save% last season

There's nothing wrong with that
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#15 » by G R E Y » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:48 am

He's just the goalie who lets in the wrong goal at the absolute wrong time, time and again. If Vancouver was so enamored with his winning % there'd be no talk of trading him. He's great in the regular season and chokes when it counts. They were out in the first round last year. President Trophy winners. There's plenty wrong with that. It's why he's on the block. The thing is, he'd likely get the Leafs into the playoffs, and considering that in itself is a huge improvement, he'd be lauded for it. But our future (assets and cap space) would be mortgaged.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
UN-Owen
Banned User

Post#16 » by UN-Owen » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:32 am

GREY 1769 wrote:He's just the goalie who lets in the wrong goal at the absolute wrong time, time and again. If Vancouver was so enamored with his winning % there'd be no talk of trading him. He's great in the regular season and chokes when it counts. They were out in the first round last year. President Trophy winners. There's plenty wrong with that. It's why he's on the block. The thing is, he'd likely get the Leafs into the playoffs, and considering that in itself is a huge improvement, he'd be lauded for it. But our future (assets and cap space) would be mortgaged.

They were ousted in the first round by the eventual champions

And weren't they without Daniel Sedin for part of that series?

The year before he was the starting goaltender on a team that went to game 7 of the Finals

Belfour, Roy, Brodeur, Hasek, and Co. have all been ousted in the first round of the playoffs during their career

Sometimes it happens
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#17 » by G R E Y » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:41 pm

All good points. But then why doesn't Vancouver want him any more? It's about expectations, right? Some of the goalies you mentioned went on to win a Cup. Canucks would now rather try with another net minder. Maybe a change of scenery will do him some good (that's what Vancouver thought when they acquired him), and if the expectations of his new team are only to make the playoffs, then it'll be considered a successful acquisition, but at 34 and on that contract, it's hard to justify giving up what Gillis wants for him.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
The_Hater

Post#18 » by The_Hater » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:24 pm

GREY 1769 wrote:All good points. But then why doesn't Vancouver want him any more? It's about expectations, right?

It's because his younger, cheaper backup clearly outplayed him last season, eventually taking over the starting job.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#19 » by G R E Y » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:51 pm

^ exactly. But his GM will push the save % and regular season success in getting the most he can for him. Can't blame him, that's his job, it just depends on how desperate Leafs/Florida get. Philly I hear has shown interest, too, but they're a goalie graveyard. I think Luongo has to waive a no-trade, right? So he has a say as to whether or not Philly is in play.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
The_Hater

Post#20 » by The_Hater » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:09 pm

I don't think Luongo is terrible but I think his days as an elite goalie are over. They certainly looked that way last season anyways.

So then when you look at the other evidence such as his age and the fact that he's being paid like an elite goaltender and you really have to wonder why any team would give up much to take on that contract?

During his struggles last season I had the opinion that the only way the Canucks got rid of him was if they took on some other teams overpaid player and the trade I came up with that made the most sense was with Tampa for Vinny Lecavalier yet now it appears that they're going to get both cap relief and some young assets. You have to be impressed with how the Canucks are playing the market, they're keeping the better goalie and still getting value on the overpaid backup they want to dump when they should have absolutely no leverage here.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs