ImageImageImage

Leafs off-season thread

Moderator: Crowned

Ado05
RealGM
And1: 5,942

Leafs off-season thread 

Post#1 » by Ado05 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:26 am

Leafs and Lightning got caught trying to circumvent the new CBA. Apparently Vinny and another asset would be coming to Toronto and then we would buy Vinny out (saving the Lightning $30 million) and then he would go back to Tampa for a smaller price. Rumoured that the third overall pick would be coming our way, which makes sense because MLSE isnt going to pay $30 million for a 2nd rounder or random prospect.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/To ... 29896.html

Damn the NHL!! :evil:
Ado05
RealGM

Re: Leafs off-season thread 

Post#2 » by Ado05 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:51 am

Also, some rumours of Letang coming to Toronto.
Ong_dynasty
Head Coach
And1: 351

Post#3 » by Ong_dynasty » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:16 pm

what about vinny as a f.a?
Brew666
Junior
And1: 22

Post#4 » by Brew666 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:54 pm

I'd take Vinny as a f.a. and I have to think we have to be a pretty good candidate. We have a ton flexibility and have a team that is looking like it's on the up and up.

Maybe I should be putting this in the Bernier trade thread but I don't like the idea of moving forward w/ Bernier and Reimer. Personally, I was fine w/ Reimer but if Bernier's ceiling is that much higher than I'm glad we brought him in but I think we should deal Reimer now.

I know Nonis has said this is the situation he wants [creating competition between two capable #1s] but I think it has to be treated very carefully for it to pan out how he wants [develop both and deal Reims when his value is peaking] or it's going to create a controversy. As long as it's those two as the goalies, there's going to be a story line that goes along with it and hopefully it doesn't become too much for them. This market is hard enough on young goalies let alone having them being picked a part for every goal they let in or bad game they play and reminded there is a competent goalie waiting to solidfy them self as the true #1 on the team. Maybe I'm reading in to it too much but I'd much happier w/ bringing in a vet goalie and dealing Reims now. A competent back-up/1B should create competition for Bernier regardless of his age. Sign someone like Bryzgalov, Emery, Mike Smith and deal Reims.

Should be an exciting off season, regardless. I really hope we can finally land a quality centremen, and it would be nice to shuffle the deck a bit on D, specifically by dealing Phaneuf and Franson. I don't know how we do it, but we need to find a top 4 defensive dman. But to #1 centres, you build around those pieces, not deal them.
Ado05
RealGM

Post#5 » by Ado05 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:18 am

I'd take Vinny too. But only for a year or two and for around 3 million. I doubt he takes that. If we do let Bozak go, I'd look at Weiss. He's no top line center, but he is better than Bozak (and three years older) and can probably do better offensively than Bozak.

I wish Ference was right handed, because he's exactly what this team needs. He's a great defensive d-man, and would be great with Phaneuf. It really is too bad he is a lefty.
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#6 » by whysoserious » Tue Jul 2, 2013 6:20 pm

I can't even believe that Bozaks camp would suggest this, 8 year deal at slightly less than 5 million??

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426783

Leafs should walk away as fast as possible.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#7 » by Crowned » Wed Jul 3, 2013 4:18 am

Yeah, not a chance with those terms. I'd give him 5 million, on a 2 year deal. I'd be somewhat hesitant to offer him any more than 3.5 for him to be completely honest. I think Bozak's deal has Grabovski written all over it. I really don't think he's worth elite-like money.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,402

Post#8 » by YogiStewart » Wed Jul 3, 2013 10:49 am

Crowned wrote:Yeah, not a chance with those terms. I'd give him 5 million, on a 2 year deal. I'd be somewhat hesitant to offer him any more than 3.5 for him to be completely honest. I think Bozak's deal has Grabovski written all over it. I really don't think he's worth elite-like money.

you are correct....
but some team will offer him more than 2 years ONLY because centres are hard to find nowadays.
catch 22 for Leafs. no real depth at centre, but do you miss Bozak if he walks?
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#9 » by whysoserious » Wed Jul 3, 2013 12:24 pm

To me, i'd go no more than 3 years and 3 million per year. It's just not worth over committing for guys like Bozak. I like the kid, he has a role on the team but just cause you're the default C cause Burke and Nonis still haven't found a bonafide number 1 center and don't have true depth down the middle, doesn't mean you compound that by signing a guy like Bozak long-term and for upwards of 5 million per year. It's an absolute waste of capspace.

Let him be some other teams mistake. Dude has never even scored 20 goals in the NHL and you're willing to pay 5 million per year, even on a short-term deal? Really doesn't make sense to me.

I'd rather just move Kadri up to the first line, let Colborne be the second line C and play it out for a year, keep the capspace until the following year or look to use it via trade by absorbing a contract.

To me the guy the Leafs should be targetting is Sam Gagner. Bozak/Gardiner for Gagner and a pick? Hopefully Reilly would be ready to step in to Gardiners role.
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,983

Post#10 » by CPT » Wed Jul 3, 2013 1:47 pm

When my friend said 8 years 5 million, I thought he screwed something up, and it was 5 years, 8 million.

That honestly makes more sense to me than 8 years/40 million. I'd let him walk for half that.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by YogiStewart » Wed Jul 3, 2013 5:32 pm

whysoserious wrote:
I'd rather just move Kadri up to the first line, let Colborne be the second line C and play it out for a year, keep the capspace until the following year or look to use it via trade by absorbing a contract.

To me the guy the Leafs should be targetting is Sam Gagner. Bozak/Gardiner for Gagner and a pick? Hopefully Reilly would be ready to step in to Gardiners role.

1. Colborne isn't an NHL talent. not sure if he's even a 4th line talent.
2. Gagner can be had for les than Gardiner.
3. Leafs will have mega cap issues this year. wait and see until the Bozak and Bernier contracts play out.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#12 » by whysoserious » Wed Jul 3, 2013 8:20 pm

YogiStewart wrote:
whysoserious wrote:

1. Colborne isn't an NHL talent. not sure if he's even a 4th line talent.
2. Gagner can be had for les than Gardiner.
3. Leafs will have mega cap issues this year. wait and see until the Bozak and Bernier contracts play out.

If the Gagner costs less than Gardiner, I'm in even more. Let Bozak walk, sign Bernier and I'd look to move Reimer and sign a cheap veteran backup for Bernier.
Ado05
RealGM

Post#13 » by Ado05 » Wed Jul 3, 2013 9:29 pm

Not into Gagner. He's a small second line center, imo. I'd let Bozak walk, unless he signs somewhere between 3-3.5 mill per year. Bozak is a third line center, that could possibly step into a second line center role when injuries occur. But we already acquired Bolland, so imo, Bozak is done.

I want Weiss. He could actually put up 70+ points with Lupul and Kessel. He's not the ideal first line center, but he definitely could do a good job. Better than Bozak, thats for sure. But if we bring him in, we have to trade Grabo. Someone is probably willing to take him and his contract and we could probably get a decent asset for him.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#14 » by whysoserious » Wed Jul 3, 2013 10:19 pm

Adrian_05 wrote:Not into Gagner. He's a small second line center, imo. I'd let Bozak walk, unless he signs somewhere between 3-3.5 mill per year. Bozak is a third line center, that could possibly step into a second line center role when injuries occur. But we already acquired Bolland, so imo, Bozak is done.

I want Weiss. He could actually put up 70+ points with Lupul and Kessel. He's not the ideal first line center, but he definitely could do a good job. Better than Bozak, thats for sure. But if we bring him in, we have to trade Grabo. Someone is probably willing to take him and his contract and we could probably get a decent asset for him.

Weiss is 5'11" and 193 and you're advocating him over Gagner who is too small for your liking but is also 5'11" and 199?

I wouldn't mind either but I think with Gagner being younger I'd rather go with him than a 30 year old.
Ado05
RealGM

Post#15 » by Ado05 » Thu Jul 4, 2013 12:40 am

whysoserious wrote:
Adrian_05 wrote:Not into Gagner. He's a small second line center, imo. I'd let Bozak walk, unless he signs somewhere between 3-3.5 mill per year. Bozak is a third line center, that could possibly step into a second line center role when injuries occur. But we already acquired Bolland, so imo, Bozak is done.

Weiss is 5'11" and 193 and you're advocating him over Gagner who is too small for your liking but is also 5'11" and 199?

I wouldn't mind either but I think with Gagner being younger I'd rather go with him than a 30 year old.

Weiss plays a bigger than he is. He's a gritty top 6 forward, which is what I think the Leafs need. Plus, he wont cost us anything except money. Gagner, plays a soft and skilled game. No doubt he has more skill than Weiss. But, he's just another soft top 6, which we already have. Plus, he will cost us assets, which I wouldnt be to excited to have.
Brew666
Junior
And1: 22

Post#16 » by Brew666 » Thu Jul 4, 2013 4:25 pm

Leafs bought out Grabbo today. I was curious if that was going to be coming or not. It's too bad we had to let him go but that was a bad contract. I don't think we'll be seeing Bozak back either. I wonder if Brad Richards could be had? Or are those contracts to be avoided at all costs now?

Looking at the UFA list of centers and it's garbage. Hopefully Nonis has a trade in the works
Ducksplatt
Sixth Man
And1: 622

Post#17 » by Ducksplatt » Thu Jul 4, 2013 5:51 pm

With the cap space now available, I can see Nonis going after Clarkson. He seems to be a Carlyse player:

When you combine that with his size and physical play, you have a player whom most teams and general managers are going to absolutely love.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-o ... e-worth-it
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe
- Albert Einstein
JDP
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#18 » by JDP » Thu Jul 4, 2013 9:28 pm

Been reading that Clarkson wants 6 million per I wouldn't touch him with a 20 foot pole for that type of money.

He is probably worth around 3 million but will definitely find a team to overpay him hopefully the Leafs stay away.

I would be okay with 4 mill a year though.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by YogiStewart » Thu Jul 4, 2013 9:48 pm

could be worse. you could be a fan of the Flyers and have your team pay your top player Crosby money.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426936

pretty much at the cap and they don't have a back-up goalie yet.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#20 » by whysoserious » Thu Jul 4, 2013 10:27 pm

YogiStewart wrote:could be worse. you could be a fan of the Flyers and have your team pay your top player Crosby money.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426936

pretty much at the cap and they don't have a back-up goalie yet.

Back up goalie, do they even have a starting goalie yet?

Philly for the last 20 years has tried to be cheap about their goalies. It's cost them a title or two for sure.

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs