Ducksplatt
Sixth Man
And1: 622

Re: Grabovski bought out 

Post#2 » by Ducksplatt » Thu Jul 4, 2013 4:24 pm

Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 19m
Mikhael Grabovski on unconditional waivers

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 12m
This will be interesting. TOR has a boatload of cap room...there is more to come

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 11m
With the Grabo buyout, Leafs can load on up David Clarkson perhaps, possibly re-sign Tyler Bozak, lots of options for them.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe
- Albert Einstein
Ducksplatt
Sixth Man

Post#3 » by Ducksplatt » Thu Jul 4, 2013 4:28 pm

Sheesh:

David Alter ‏@DavidAlter590 13m
Grabovski is set to marry his long time girlfriend in just a few days. This will no doubt come as a surprise.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe
- Albert Einstein
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#4 » by whysoserious » Thu Jul 4, 2013 4:32 pm

Ducksplatt wrote:Sheesh:

Grabovski is set to marry his long time girlfriend in just a few days. This will no doubt come as a surprise.

Sucks for him but you don't pay nearly 5 million for a third line player. He needed to go, his contract was ridiculous, should have been traded before the deadline that year instead of re-signed.

With Kadri cementing that at worse he'll be a second line C, Grabo needed to go. I wonder how Nonis is gonna land a first line C now.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,402

Post#5 » by YogiStewart » Thu Jul 4, 2013 4:46 pm

whysoserious wrote:

Sucks for him but you don't pay nearly 5 million for a third line player. He needed to go, his contract was ridiculous, should have been traded before the deadline that year instead of re-signed.

With Kadri cementing that at worse he'll be a second line C, Grabo needed to go. I wonder how Nonis is gonna land a first line C now.

can Fraser McLaren play C?

*smirks*

i wonder if Horton's coming to Toronto....or go through a list of teams with a high-paid C but is near/over the cap
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#6 » by whysoserious » Thu Jul 4, 2013 4:50 pm

Horton would be a nice pickup, at least with him and Kadri, we'd have WCS two number two C's in our top two lines. Bozak was more of a third line C who you could plug in on the second line, and whom we decided to play on the first due to lack of anyone else fitting in.

Kadri, Horton, Bolland is not bad. Not great and still lack a true number 1 c, but you could do worse. Grabo is more like a tweener, an offensively skilled guy and tenacious, but doesnt really produce enough to warrant a top 6 forward spot anymore.
vini_vidi_vici
RealGM
And1: 20,796

Post#7 » by vini_vidi_vici » Thu Jul 4, 2013 4:59 pm

Im confused, why didnt they compliance buyout Grabo instead of Komi, or was it because when the extension kicked in? Komi only had a year left at a 4.5 million dollar cap hit.

Nonetheless I expected this, I think youll see Clarkson and a C, with one more D (Scuderi it sounds like).
iDRTG is terrible. ** Paid for by Pfizer Inc.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by YogiStewart » Thu Jul 4, 2013 5:33 pm

vini_vidi_vici wrote:Im confused, why didnt they compliance buyout Grabo instead of Komi, or was it because when the extension kicked in? Komi only had a year left at a 4.5 million dollar cap hit.

Nonetheless I expected this, I think youll see Clarkson and a C, with one more D (Scuderi it sounds like).

bought both out.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,250

Post#9 » by LLJ » Thu Jul 4, 2013 5:33 pm

More time with the wifey now, I guess. SILVER LININGS, PEOPLE!
vini_vidi_vici
RealGM

Post#10 » by vini_vidi_vici » Thu Jul 4, 2013 5:38 pm

YogiStewart wrote:
vini_vidi_vici wrote:Im confused, why didnt they compliance buyout Grabo instead of Komi, or was it because when the extension kicked in? Komi only had a year left at a 4.5 million dollar cap hit.

bought both out.

So clarify for me, teams get 2 comp buyouts, which wont affect their cap. These used both?

Or was it they bought out Grabo with the intent of waiving him, thus it counts against the cap, in hopes of a team picking him up and offsetting some of the costs?? because I thought the 2 were different.

I plead ignorance on all things hockey, I follow Football/MMA/Basketball/etc.. more intensely.
Ducksplatt
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by Ducksplatt » Thu Jul 4, 2013 5:42 pm

vini_vidi_vici wrote:
YogiStewart wrote:

bought both out.

So clarify for me, teams get 2 comp buyouts, which wont affect their cap. These used both?

Or was it they bought out Grabo with the intent of waiving him, thus it counts against the cap, in hopes of a team picking him up and offsetting some of the costs?? because I thought the 2 were different.

I plead ignorance on all things hockey, I follow Football/MMA/Basketball/etc.. more intensely.

The Leafs have now used both compliance buyouts and have no more:

As expected, general manager Dave Nonis pulled the plug on Mike Komisarek Tuesday, the first Leafs buyout “victim.” Centre Mikhail Grabovski became the club’s second buyout on Thursday:

It was a privilege playing for a first class organization like the Leafs even though things did not turn out as I would have liked.

— Mike Komisarek (@mkomisarek) July 2, 2013

The Leafs are buying out Mikhail Grabovski. 2nd compliance buyout.

— David Alter (@DavidAlter590) July 4, 2013

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/coun ... t-we-know/
- Albert Einstein
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by YogiStewart » Thu Jul 4, 2013 6:04 pm

the benefits of having deep pockets, i guess.

but i look at this and look at Gardiner and Reiley and then look at the money locked into Liles and i think:

HAW HAW HAW!!!

no way those 2 D will make this team in the near future. why not buy out Liles?? he was in the press box for half of last year.
vini_vidi_vici
RealGM

Post#13 » by vini_vidi_vici » Thu Jul 4, 2013 6:07 pm

Ducksplatt wrote:
vini_vidi_vici wrote:
YogiStewart wrote:
bought both out.

The Leafs have now used both compliance buyouts and have no more:

As expected, general manager Dave Nonis pulled the plug on Mike Komisarek Tuesday, the first Leafs buyout “victim.” Centre Mikhail Grabovski became the club’s second buyout on Thursday:

It was a privilege playing for a first class organization like the Leafs even though things did not turn out as I would have liked.

— Mike Komisarek (@mkomisarek) July 2, 2013

The Leafs are buying out Mikhail Grabovski. 2nd compliance buyout.

— David Alter (@DavidAlter590) July 4, 2013

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/coun ... t-we-know/

Thanks, im arguing on the basketball side, but im read more into it later today.
Ado05
RealGM
And1: 5,942

Post#14 » by Ado05 » Thu Jul 4, 2013 6:09 pm

Wow. **** timing. But, this gives us A LOT of cap space.

Im fine with this move, as Kadri has passed him in the depth charts.
Ado05
RealGM

Post#15 » by Ado05 » Thu Jul 4, 2013 6:11 pm

YogiStewart wrote:the benefits of having deep pockets, i guess.

but i look at this and look at Gardiner and Reiley and then look at the money locked into Liles and i think:

HAW HAW HAW!!!

no way those 2 D will make this team in the near future. why not buy out Liles?? he was in the press box for half of last year.

His talent combined with his contract. He could still play top 4 minutes, and he doesnt have a crazy bad contract. Can probably get a prospect or DP for him.
Ducksplatt
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by Ducksplatt » Thu Jul 4, 2013 6:18 pm

Thought I would add this tidbit to the forum:

Kent_Wilson: RT @SportsnetTicker: #Leafs to buy out Mikhail Grabovski. His 208 points since joining the team in 08-09 are second only to Kessel (253).
- Albert Einstein
Ado05
RealGM

Post#17 » by Ado05 » Thu Jul 4, 2013 6:23 pm

And he's also been here, for what, the second or third longest?

Kadri is better than him as of right now. Gotta clear up that cap space.
wazabifuzz
Starter
And1: 599

Post#18 » by wazabifuzz » Thu Jul 4, 2013 7:13 pm

24 million to do nothing ... wow
JDP
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#19 » by JDP » Thu Jul 4, 2013 9:15 pm

I don't get it I hope this wasn't to pay Bozak what he wants.

Gave us a nice hole at centre and after resigning our RFA's there should be a about 12 million left to fill holes at 1C two top 9 wingers and a d man.

I feel like we are going to need another compliance buyout after who we sign tomorrow not really interested in Weiss, Clarkson, or Bozak.

Really hope Nonis is thinking trade on this one.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#20 » by Crowned » Thu Jul 4, 2013 10:08 pm

I hope this means that Bernier and Kadri aren't going to cost us more than I thought they would.

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs