ImageImageImage

Leafs Off-Season Thread

Moderator: Crowned

Brew666
Junior
And1: 22

Leafs Off-Season Thread 

Post#1 » by Brew666 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:46 pm

Draft is only a few days. What's everybody thinking/hoping for?

In other threads I've said I'd be up for trading up to #1 w/ a package of Kadri, Phaneuf, and the #8 but renegging a bit on that thought. I thought there was the top 3 [Ekblad, Reinhart, Bennett] and the rest but I guess the top 10 are pretty closer together. With that thought, it's a lot to give up to move up. I'd still like to move up in the draft for any of the top 3 but Kadri and the #8 is a bit much to move I'm thinking now. It'd have to be one or the other w/ a b prospect but the asking price seems to be a bit more.

If we're keeping #8, I'd be hoping for Nick Ritchie or if any of the top centre men fall. Also hearing Haydn Fleury is a pretty solid dman but he's a left handed shot. As long as they draft BPA and not influenced by position, I'm happy. I have a lot of trust in this scouting department and looking forward to the draft.
Brew666
Junior
And1: 22

Re: Leafs Off-Season Thread 

Post#2 » by Brew666 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:33 pm

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/leafs-kulemin-appear-to-be-parting-ways/

A few tidbits in here about Leafs getting close w/ Gardiner, doesn't look like Kulemin is coming back nor any other UFAs.

Nikolai Kulemin is set to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1 and agent Gary Greenstin tells Sportsnet that he plans to make full use of the interview window, which opens Wednesday, to start looking for a new home for his client.

Like Kulemin, the Bolland camp is preparing for the opening of Wednesday’s free-agent discussion window. Since the player will be making his way back from a significant injury, Thun anticipates that some teams may want to speak directly with him.

The lines of communication will also be kept open with Toronto.

“At this time it’s just not coming together,” said Thun. “We can’t force the Leafs to accept our terms.”

With the off-season set to kick in to high gear, there is still a high level of unpredictability around what direction the team is headed. Nothing appears close with Toronto’s other pending UFA’s — Mason Raymond, Jay McClement and Paul Ranger — although Raymond’s agent, J.P. Barry, plans to sit down with Dave Nonis later this week in Philadelphia.

One thing that is known is that talks are underway between the Leafs and restricted free-agent defenceman Jake Gardiner, according to sources. It is believed that the sides are discussing a two-year bridge deal that will likely end up falling somewhere between $2.25-million and $3-million per season.

I'm happy the Leafs are cutting some salary and not afraid to let guys walk. This team needs to take a step back and reload. They need more players on rookie salaries to take some spots up front. Plus w/ Komorov coming back, he can do a similar job to Kulemin but likely for cheaper.

I'm also happy w/ the price for Gards. For players that it's still questionable whether they make the next step it seems like a good middle ground. Mtl is going to have to pay to retain Subban now but at least you know what you're getting.
Ado05
RealGM
And1: 5,942

Post#3 » by Ado05 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:47 am

I wish we could get in the top 3. One of Bennett, Reinhart or Eklblad would be sweet. I dont think we will though. I'd be happy with any one of Ekblad, Reinhart, Bennett, Draistal, Dal Colle, Ritchie, Ehlers, or Nylander.

Wouldnt mind moving Gards + 8th overall for the 3rd overall since it fills a need for Edmonton.
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#4 » by whysoserious » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:13 pm

I'm still very hesitant on moving Kadri and Gardiner. This team is still far off and still needs talent.

Is Kadri likely to become a true number 1 center? Probably not. Is Gardiner going to be a number 1 d-man? Probably not.

I'd give away those guys for a huge talent upgrade and I wouldn't classify them as untouchable, same with the 8th pick. My biggest beef is that this team has mismanaged it's cap so badly that they put expectations on these young guys to step up instantly or put them on the block looking to upgrade talent. If they weren't paying the likes of Clarkson or Phaneuf so goddam much, maybe they'd actually have money to play with and keep their young guys.
GYBE
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 358

Post#5 » by GYBE » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:55 pm

The idea of trading a good young centre to acquire another good young centre seems a little stupid. I do not want to trade Kadri. I don't want to trade Gardiner either.

My dream pick tonight would be Nikolaj Ehlers, I think he's going to be a star. But I really, really doubt they take the small Danish kid over the huge Ontario boy. Nick Ritchie will probably be the pick, because the Leafs care way too much about size.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 22,031

Post#6 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:03 am

Nylander. Love that pick.
Ado05
RealGM

Post#7 » by Ado05 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:48 am

Really wanted Ritchie.

Not mad though.
s e n s i
RealGM
And1: 3,568

Post#8 » by s e n s i » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:45 am

i like the pick, kid plays exactly like patty kane. probably the best player on sweden's WJC squad next year. very, very low bust potential here imo, i will take a rich man's grabo as a floor. call him billy pointlander.
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM

Post#9 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:27 pm

s e n s i wrote:i like the pick, kid plays exactly like patty kane. probably the best player on sweden's WJC squad next year. very, very low bust potential here imo, i will take a rich man's grabo as a floor. call him billy pointlander.

I read somewhere he beasted 7 of the 10 athletic tests at the combine.

so 1) most skilled player in the draft

2) best athlete

3) son of former NHLer

4) already played against men

This is going to go a long way to making me feel better about the 10 year deal we're about to give Bolland :lol:
s e n s i
RealGM

Post#10 » by s e n s i » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:14 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/482904004695826432[/tweet]

meh, lateral move at best imo - but he is a right handed shot, could be paired with gleason as the 3rd pairing but likely paired with someone who can actually pass the puck in rielly or gards

polak has a 2.75 cap hit so we save about $400k. don't like the inclusion of the pick but hopefully this signifies more changes on the blueline. plus gunnarsson is a little injury prone, also coming off surgery
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM

Post#11 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:46 pm

We traded a 1st pairing guy for a 3rd pairing guy. It only makes sense if Gunnar's hip is really that ****ed. I think the Leafs were going to have to find minutes for Reilly and Gardiner anyway, so at least this forces Randy's hand a bit more.
s e n s i
RealGM

Post#12 » by s e n s i » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:09 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:We traded a 1st pairing guy for a 3rd pairing guy. It only makes sense if Gunnar's hip is really that ****ed. I think the Leafs were going to have to find minutes for Reilly and Gardiner anyway, so at least this forces Randy's hand a bit more.

gunnar was a 1st pairing guy by default -- he's a 3rd pairing guy on a good team which is what he'll be in st. louis

Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#13 » by Crowned » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:13 pm

Polak isn't going to be a 3rd pairing for us. He'll likely be a #4 type guy. He's strong, defensive minded and good on the PK.

Gunnar will thrive with the Blues under their system, but he didn't here. This isn't a bad deal by any stretch.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM

Post#14 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:43 am

Crowned wrote:Polak isn't going to be a 3rd pairing for us. He'll likely be a #4 type guy. He's strong, defensive minded and good on the PK.

Gunnar will thrive with the Blues under their system, but he didn't here. This isn't a bad deal by any stretch.

I didn't mean to imply I thought it was a bad deal. I think Nonis later admitted it will give Gardiner and Reilly more minutes, which I'm all in favour of.

I'm not totally on the corsi side where I ignore the role that bone crushers have in the NHL. I see Polak as a useful presence for this team, but I don't think he could be Phaneuf's conscience like Gunnar was. It's a downgrade in talent, but maybe a better fit in the long run.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM

Post#15 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:44 am

Crowned wrote:Polak isn't going to be a 3rd pairing for us. He'll likely be a #4 type guy. He's strong, defensive minded and good on the PK.

I didn't mean to imply I thought it was a bad deal. I think Nonis later admitted it will give Gardiner and Reilly more minutes, which I'm all in favour of.

I'm not totally on the corsi side where I ignore the role that bone crushers have in the NHL. I see Polak as a useful presence for this team, but I don't think he could be Phaneuf's conscience like Gunnar was. It's a downgrade in talent, but maybe a better fit in the long run.
KillaSham23
Junior
And1: 256

Post#16 » by KillaSham23 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:51 am

leafs needed a hard hitter on d. hopefully the move pays off
Cyrus
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 3,488

Post#17 » by Cyrus » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:49 pm

hes not mobile and slow. Plus don't understand that we had to include a pick as well.
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#18 » by whysoserious » Tue Jul 1, 2014 1:37 am

We sure do love to trade for guys or sign them only to buy them out and eat up part of our cap for years to come. Didn't we just get rid of the portion of Tuckers contract that was on our cap?

This has to be one of the worse run franchises. Just when you think they were getting it together. Now there are rumblings that Shanny or the likes aren't enamoured with Phaneuf and this after you just gave him a 7 year deal (I know Shanny wasn't here when he signed).

This team will never turn it around. They are going to have to luck in to a group of guys pulling a Lebron/Wade/Bosh saying Toronto is our hometown and we're going to all sign there together.
GYBE
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 358

Post#19 » by GYBE » Tue Jul 1, 2014 2:38 am

ATLTimekeeper wrote:It's a downgrade in talent

Aptly describes most Leafs transactions. The team is constantly shedding talent to bring in "toughness/grit" and are shocked when things go poorly.
Ado05
RealGM

Post#20 » by Ado05 » Tue Jul 1, 2014 3:44 am

I dont know what Nonis and co. are doing right now. Didnt think Gleason was bad with us, but it does save us about 2 or so million dollars a year on the cap. Maybe they thought Gorges would waive. I hope he doesnt because we'll probably get fleeced in the deal.

Also something to point out is how awful the asset management has been. We've lost Macarthur, Grabo, Liles for nothing, and it looks like we're gonna lose Kulemin, Bolland, and possibly Reimer too for nothing.

Anyways, I just hope Nonis **** this team up enough that we end up with McDavid or Eichel.

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs