ImageImageImageImageImage

Julius Randle IS a 'cornerstone' player

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85

Polk377
General Manager
And1: 5,385

Re: Julius Randle IS a 'cornerstone' player 

Post#21 » by Polk377 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:05 pm

cgf wrote:
Polk377 wrote:Image

What's crazy about the season Julius is having is by the numbers it is nearly identical to the last 2 seasons. The only major difference has been his improved 3 point and long 2 point shooting. It goes to show the impact of having a great coach who knows how to put players in better positions really changes things.

I mean his assist rate is up almost 10% over his career average on identical usage to his last two season & a lower turnover rate...that's a pretty major difference.

Those are great too. I think those are a product of having better players around him and having better overall space to work the defense and pick his spots.
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,939

Post#22 » by spree2kawhi » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:47 pm

Imagine a Devin Booker type of player wanted out. Just imagine, I know they're doing well. We've certainly got the necessary assets to get him. Now imagine them asking for RJ and picks.

Does Booker agree to come here to form a championship duo with Randle? No, and that's all you need to know.
camby23
Junior
And1: 531

Post#23 » by camby23 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:12 pm

Read on Twitter
KnixtapeH20
RealGM
And1: 16,490

Re: Julius Randle performance thread 

Post#24 » by KnixtapeH20 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:55 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
KnixtapeH20 wrote:I think Randle can be a LeBron lite

Jesus Christ.

Whats so crazy about the way hes playing right now? IF he keeps this level of play up he's one of the best players in the NBA. He does it all. Give him better spacing, better shooters and he will thrive even more.

Is that so outlandish?
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 30,619

Post#25 » by Fat Kat » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:05 pm

Read on Twitter
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
JBreezeNY
RealGM
And1: 10,763

Post#26 » by JBreezeNY » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:07 pm

Looooooooooooooooooooooool
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,887

Post#27 » by NoLayupRule » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:18 pm

no one is more shocked than me but with the right coach and team he seems to be everything anyone ever hoped he might be

his willingness to play D and pass is amazing
I hope its not contract year fools gold but I suspect not
hes a legit all star with this type of play
I think he will understand that and continue

Just imagine if we had a real shooter or two out there to balance the floor better?
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,879

Post#28 » by cgmw » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:28 pm

Funny you mention Kawhi. Somehow I think that’s Leon’s grand plan — keep Randle, then trade for a supplemental star like Beal or maybe KAT, then make a play for Kawhi in FA.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,583

Post#29 » by stuporman » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:37 pm

I put this in the post game thread but maybe it has some more relevance here:

stuporman wrote:What does Randle have to accomplish with the Knicks to be the best #30 they ever had?

...and the rebuts:

rajajackal wrote:
GONYK wrote:
louisorr wrote:He can start by dragging a bunch of bums to a Game 7 against Bird, Mchale, DJ and Parish.

what if he does that against KD, harden, and kyrie :)

:lol:
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
jstudabaka
Bench Warmer
And1: 681

Post#30 » by jstudabaka » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:43 pm

He's playing like that right now, but I need more of a sample size and to see whether he hits a wall with all the minutes Thibs has him playing. Randle's numbers are inflated by the fact that he's up there among the league leaders in minutes per game. Also, need to see if the 3pt shooting is for real.

Where we are now vs where we were at the start of the season is that at the start, most would have been glad to send Randle away on a Marcus Morris-type trade, best case scenario, or even just outright dump him. The majority on this board probably didn't want the option for next year picked up. Now I don't think anyone would suggest not picking up his option next year, and any trade would have to net either multiple picks, a lottery pick, or a legit prospect to make it worthwhile.
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 30,619

Post#31 » by Fat Kat » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:37 pm

All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
Da_Mane_Man
General Manager
And1: 1,590

Post#32 » by Da_Mane_Man » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:39 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:No one saw this coming. Melo would even admit that. I liked Julius when we got him....hated him last year. Expected more of the same this year. Low IQ spin cycle was his forte all year.

This season is definitely an eye opener. Could he be making this leap or is it feasting on a bad team? Looks to be making the leap and I am hopeful it is for real because...we usually trade players who become better elsewhere. This is a pleasant surprise. Keep it up and we pick up the option. Good place to be for a change.

This is what's so crazy. how can a player gain so much IQ in the course of a few months? it's obviously a combination of factors, not just one, but two that stick out to me are obviously coaching, but also slightly better teammates perhaps. I think most of the credit has to go to Thibs and to Randle himself for making the change, but being able to trust his teammates a little more might be helping. Knowing that IQ can hit an outside shot, or make something happen for himself definitely lightens the load.

We'll see if he can keep this up for the whole season. I could honestly see this team hitting the tank just as much as keeping this .500 play going the rest of the year. :dontknow:
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,583

Post#33 » by stuporman » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:01 pm

I heard Randle has a $1mil bonus if he makes an all star game....this true?
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,832

Post#34 » by Knicksfan1992 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:21 pm

I think Julius could be a number 2 on a top 3 seed in the conference in the right situation. If you've got a strong number 3 and 4 offensively with good defensive role players... sure why not? I mean the guy is currently averaging 23 a game on really good efficiency. He's not hogging the ball and his current play would absolutely translate to being a good number 2. After that it's pretty much luck when it comes to actually winning a title...

I mean arguing whether he's a "cornerstone" or not is pretty much arguing semantics.... The Knicks should absolutely consider him part of their core going forward. Is that a cornerstone? Who honestly gives a chit? lol. He's a great player who is currently giving us surplus value on his deal. And the great part is we have a few guys, in house, who can all get better as Julius mans the ship for the time being.

Quick, RJ, Mitch, and Toppin all still have some development time left. Knicks are in a great situation moving forward. If even one of those guys pops to all-star level, we go from fun story to conference contender pretty quickly.
seren
RealGM
And1: 4,285

Post#35 » by seren » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:33 pm

He looks real. If he can keep this up, we do need to go for that second star before he is due for extension. At this rate, he is a max player.
HerSports85
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 30,128

Post#36 » by HerSports85 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:38 pm

Fat Kat wrote:Image

Lol IQ looking like a proud girlfriend
BAF: Chicago Bulls
2023 In-season tournament Champs
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 56,540

Post#37 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:51 am

HerSports85 wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:Image

Lol IQ looking like a proud girlfriend

That's cold :lol:
Free Palestine
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,932

Re: Julius Randle performance thread 

Post#38 » by KnixinSix » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:14 am

KnixtapeH20 wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
KnixtapeH20 wrote:I think Randle can be a LeBron lite

Jesus Christ.

Whats so crazy about the way hes playing right now? IF he keeps this level of play up he's one of the best players in the NBA. He does it all. Give him better spacing, better shooters and he will thrive even more.

Is that so outlandish?

No not outlandish at all, Rose and Quickly maturing before our eyes should help him even more.

Less ball handling, better spacing and more open looks.

He isn't top 10 but his current play places him right there after that. Luka, Jokic, AD, Bron, Harden, KD, Kawhi, Embiid, Curry, Lillard and a couple others. Miami and Boston have 2 stars outside the top 10 and did very well last year. Toronto had Kawhi and a couple nice peices and did pretty amazing. If the Knicks keep it up, a superstar I believe would definitely come and play for this team.
For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2nd Corinthians 4:6
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 45,337

Post#39 » by DaGawd » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:35 am

cgmw wrote:Funny you mention Kawhi. Somehow I think that’s Leon’s grand plan — keep Randle, then trade for a supplemental star like Beal or maybe KAT, then make a play for Kawhi in FA.

Cap space situation gets a lil dicey after a Beal trade no?
BaF
Washington Wizards
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 42,082

Post#40 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:36 am

We're not getting Kawhi, he left a championship team in Toronto to go to LA, mainly because he wanted to live in San Diego.

Please, stop with the Kawhi hopes.
god shammgod wrote:bring back ihart

Return to New York Knicks