ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Yankees Thread

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85

KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 15,069

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#8021 » by KnicksGadfly » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:43 am

mrcalzone wrote:
knicksh20b wrote:If Angels get CC, I'm going to hate those guys forever. Eff those guys. CC reminds me of a Pettite. He'll come through when needed, even with old man game.

As for Cole, guys are tripping. Some of our fans here are way too conservative, even in basketball. They want to wait for a guy to get good BEFORE we trade for him, so his value is at his peak. We gotta project.

If Cole has that ability and has had an off year and the price is cheaper, then we gotta go for it. It sounds like the Yankees organization knows this guy and his stuff. Drafted him first a while back before he went to UCLA. If we're confident in him AND we wait for him to rebuild himself, then we run the risk of paying through the nose for him. That's how we got Didi, Hicks, even Castro. Didi, in particular, was not good for a while but the Yankees chased him for a long time before we got him and rebuilt him. Problem is, right now, Cole's price is high. Guessing Pirates feel comfortable waiting and letting him rebuild his value, and if it does, it gets higher, when it's the trade deadline, teams are gearing up for the playoff push and Cole is at a 3.00ish ERA. No easy decision to make, but we don't get to have security and a cheaper price.

lmao..

uhh no political meaning meant
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,425

Post#8022 » by BadNewsBarnes » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:21 pm

knicksh20b wrote:If Angels get CC, I'm going to hate those guys forever. Eff those guys. CC reminds me of a Pettite. He'll come through when needed, even with old man game.

As for Cole, guys are tripping. Some of our fans here are way too conservative, even in basketball. They want to wait for a guy to get good BEFORE we trade for him, so his value is at his peak. We gotta project.

If Cole has that ability and has had an off year and the price is cheaper, then we gotta go for it. It sounds like the Yankees organization knows this guy and his stuff. Drafted him first a while back before he went to UCLA. If we're confident in him AND we wait for him to rebuild himself, then we run the risk of paying through the nose for him. That's how we got Didi, Hicks, even Castro. Didi, in particular, was not good for a while but the Yankees chased him for a long time before we got him and rebuilt him. Problem is, right now, Cole's price is high. Guessing Pirates feel comfortable waiting and letting him rebuild his value, and if it does, it gets higher, when it's the trade deadline, teams are gearing up for the playoff push and Cole is at a 3.00ish ERA. No easy decision to make, but we don't get to have security and a cheaper price.

Don't worry the 3 ish ERA. Yanks could score 7 runs a game. You could pitch with the Yanks with a 6 ERA and be a 17 game winner.
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach

Post#8023 » by BadNewsBarnes » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:46 pm

"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,628

Post#8024 » by Jalen Bluntson » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:18 pm

Ummm....I don't agree with this except for the part where we need to stop. Go get a starting pitcher if anything and roll with what we have. Machado is not a necessary move and grabbing him and Stanton with the assets we just recently acquired would feel Evil Empire-ish...BUT...I would STILL enjoy the **** out of those games when all the bats are hitting!

Losing in baseball helps? The draft is NOTHING like other sports IMO. These kids take years to develop in the minors. There's tons of leagues to scout. Foreign players. It's nothing like other sports that can't roll the dice and spend whatever it takes to win. It doesn't help smaller markets as much in that matter though. Still....the A's won with minimal payroll so...no. That article is not spot on IMO. Just an old man who's knee jerk reaction gets circulated. He'd be singing a different tune when Machado goes deep in the WS that's for damn sure.

Not to mention...the Yankees traded away their vets to get those assets in the first place. They didn't tank. Judge/Sanchez/Severino/Bird etc are not the result of tanking either. Good scouting beats all.
:beer: RIP mags
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#8025 » by magnumt » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:41 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:

Ummm....I don't agree with this except for the part where we need to stop. Go get a starting pitcher if anything and roll with what we have. Machado is not a necessary move and grabbing him and Stanton with the assets we just recently acquired would feel Evil Empire-ish...BUT...I would STILL enjoy the **** out of those games when all the bats are hitting!

Losing in baseball helps? The draft is NOTHING like other sports IMO. These kids take years to develop in the minors. There's tons of leagues to scout. Foreign players. It's nothing like other sports that can't roll the dice and spend whatever it takes to win. It doesn't help smaller markets as much in that matter though. Still....the A's won with minimal payroll so...no. That article is not spot on IMO. Just an old man who's knee jerk reaction gets circulated. He'd be singing a different tune when Machado goes deep in the WS that's for damn sure.

Not to mention...the Yankees traded away their vets to get those assets in the first place. They didn't tank. Judge/Sanchez/Severino/Bird etc are not the result of tanking either. Good scouting beats all.

Nobody seems to have a problem when the Lakers or Celtics do it. Fuq if I care if they view us as that.

Fuqn double standards in the media. :roll:

--Mags :beer:
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 83,079

Post#8026 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:57 pm

Agree with the above. Why not Machado?

I mean, I think it would be wise to save some money on position players to spend spend spend on starting pitching, but if the Yanks think they can get him, and they think that Harper will extend with the Nationals (the player everyone ties to the Yanks next year) then why not simply go all in with Machado? He's young, like Harper, so it's not throwing money at an older guy, though his injury history concerns me some, but then again, he's been pretty durable these last 3 years.

If the Yanks get him in a 3 way deal where he goes to the White Sox and then to the Yanks, I figure he'd have a high cost in prospects, as the White Sox would have to part with two prospects (minimum) to get him from the Orioles, you'd think they'd want 3 prospects from the Yanks, as a start, so they come out ahead. Thinking out loud here.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#8027 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:03 pm

To comment on the "Astro-ization" article, I'm not sure how on point that is. I think Basketball, then MAYBE, Football, are the sports where tanking matters. I mean, in baseball, I guess there is that chance at the can't miss, blue chip guy near the top of the 1st round and the benefit of drafting high in subsequent rounds, but as pointed out, the roster sizes, years of development, the hit and miss nature of even players drafted in the first round, the number of great players drafted 2nd, 3rd, 6th round, international guys, etc, make it a whole different animal then basketball, which is so draft dependent, and where the largely, their position drafted MOSTLY maps to their ability in the NBA (though clearly not 100%) I include Football only in the regard that there is a few clear difference makers near the top of the first round, but most good teams draft well at least down to the 4th round, if not the whole draft.

I guess trading a star in baseball for "prospects" could be seen as a variation on tanking. I look it as just a more traditional approach to rebuilding.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#8028 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:08 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:

People also forget that those recent "heyday" Yankee teams from 96-2001 were a blend of homegrown and the mercenary. I mean, sure Jeter/Petite/Rivera/Williams/Posada (how come Bernie gets left out of the "Core 4?" were augmented by Key, Cone, Wells, Gooden, Clemens, Tino, Boggs as mercenaries and O'Neil came in a trade. That's off the top of my head.
Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,161

Post#8029 » by Knickfan1982 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:49 pm

Mecca wrote:
Knickfan1982 wrote:
Mecca wrote:
I personally really want Andujar on this team. He profiles as a great contact hitter + Torreyes will get a ton of AB's and late game subs with his glove and speed.

Looks like you were right after all. We just dumped Headley on the Padres in a clear salary dump. We now have two infield spots open. It looks much harder to justify moving Torres back down now. They basically need to choose between sending him or Wade down to the minors for more seasoning, start Torreyes at second, Andujar at third and let Torres or Wade backup the non-first base infield positions. If its going to be between Wade and Torres you go for the guy with more upside.

lol, appreciate you admitting it!

I was at war for a year and a half with Dr. because I vouched for Severino as a stud, arguing against him becoming a reliever. Torres will have every chance to win the job.

No problem dude. And you were right with Sevy as well. I would have moved him to the pen. lol
Why rely on nuance, facts and logic when you can bludgeon the other side with mindless repetition of "Duuur McDaniel's has potential :tooth and still be treated as if you were reasonable.
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#8030 » by magnumt » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:04 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:Agree with the above. Why not Machado?

I mean, I think it would be wise to save some money on position players to spend spend spend on starting pitching, but if the Yanks think they can get him, and they think that Harper will extend with the Nationals (the player everyone ties to the Yanks next year) then why not simply go all in with Machado? He's young, like Harper, so it's not throwing money at an older guy, though his injury history concerns me some, but then again, he's been pretty durable these last 3 years.

If the Yanks get him in a 3 way deal where he goes to the White Sox and then to the Yanks, I figure he'd have a high cost in prospects, as the White Sox would have to part with two prospects (minimum) to get him from the Orioles, you'd think they'd want 3 prospects from the Yanks, as a start, so they come out ahead. Thinking out loud here.

Right? :nod:

Why WOULDN'T you want to get your team into the best position possible.

Plus, our core is young. They can grow together just like the 90s Farm System Yankees did.

--Mags :beer:
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Post#8031 » by DowNY » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:58 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach

Post#8032 » by BadNewsBarnes » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:25 am

Machado is on the last year of his contract. We don't need him now. We can wait until he's a free agent.

Let's see how Andujar pans out. He looked good in his short time with the Yanks.
DowNY
RealGM

Post#8033 » by DowNY » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:18 am

I think we're gonna end up with Gerrit Cole. Hopefully it's a fair deal. Not an overpay. It's probably gonna be Clint, Adams & lower level prospect. Then sign CC back to a 1 year deal & let him do spot starts. Like a 6th starter type of thing. No turf for CC though. Protect that leg/knee.
xNewYorkMadex
General Manager
And1: 5,758

Post#8034 » by xNewYorkMadex » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:06 am

DowNY wrote:I think we're gonna end up with Gerrit Cole. Hopefully it's a fair deal. Not an overpay. It's probably gonna be Clint, Adams & lower level prospect. Then sign CC back to a 1 year deal & let him do spot starts. Like a 6th starter type of thing. No turf for CC though. Protect that leg/knee.

That sounds like an overpay. 2 of our top prospects for a guy whose had an era near 4 in the NL. Thats too much.

Edit: Just looked and saw his era was above 4 this past season.
Andrea Bargnani nYk 2013-2015
DowNY
RealGM

Post#8035 » by DowNY » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:31 am

xNewYorkMadex wrote:
DowNY wrote:I think we're gonna end up with Gerrit Cole. Hopefully it's a fair deal. Not an overpay. It's probably gonna be Clint, Adams & lower level prospect. Then sign CC back to a 1 year deal & let him do spot starts. Like a 6th starter type of thing. No turf for CC though. Protect that leg/knee.

That sounds like an overpay. 2 of our top prospects for a guy whose had an era near 4 in the NL. Thats too much.

well the latest rumor is that Josh Harrison (last year of deal) would also come to us. 2B/3B. Could lead off is needed too. I'd do that trade.

Gerrit Cole ($7M) & Josh Harrison ($10M) for Clint Frazier, Chance Adams & 2 lower tier prospects? I'd do it.
Would still be under tax by about $11-$12M.

Tbh, I'd rather keep Chance & deal Miguel Andujar. Josh can fill that 2B/3B spot for a year then we go in for Manny Machado. Andujar would be blocked just like Clint is now.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#8036 » by MaseInYourFace » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:58 am

Rumor has it the bmore owner is adamant against trading Machado to Yankees. Supposedly he's even trying to block teams that would flip Machado to Yankees. So we might have to wait until free agency for Machado.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#8037 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:08 am

MaseInYourFace wrote:Rumor has it the bmore owner is adamant against trading Machado to Yankees. Supposedly he's even trying to block teams that would flip Machado to Yankees. So we might have to wait until free agency for Machado.

That's sort of nuts, that he would care what a team does with the player after his team gets what they want in a trade
xNewYorkMadex
General Manager
And1: 5,758

Post#8038 » by xNewYorkMadex » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:11 pm

DowNY wrote:
xNewYorkMadex wrote:

well the latest rumor is that Josh Harrison (last year of deal) would also come to us. 2B/3B. Could lead off is needed too. I'd do that trade.

Gerrit Cole ($7M) & Josh Harrison ($10M) for Clint Frazier, Chance Adams & 2 lower tier prospects? I'd do it.

Tbh, I'd rather keep Chance & deal Miguel Andujar. Josh can fill that 2B/3B spot for a year then we go in for Manny Machado. Andujar would be blocked just like Clint is now.

Nah imma have to disagree, its not worth it at all. Clint is probably our 2nd best prospect, and Adams is our 3rd.

Harrison isnt even locked up, so hes basically a 1 yr rental. You can get much more in return if we deal Clint and Adams in the same deal.
Andrea Bargnani nYk 2013-2015
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#8039 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:10 pm

DowNY wrote:
xNewYorkMadex wrote:

thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#8040 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:11 pm

xNewYorkMadex wrote:
DowNY wrote:
xNewYorkMadex wrote:That sounds like an overpay. 2 of our top prospects for a guy whose had an era near 4 in the NL. Thats too much.

Nah imma have to disagree, its not worth it at all. Clint is probably our 2nd best prospect, and Adams is our 3rd.

Harrison isnt even locked up, so hes basically a 1 yr rental. You can get much more in return if we deal Clint and Adams in the same deal.

Harrison is one of those low on base % singles hitters. No thanks.

Return to New York Knicks