ImageImageImageImage

Official UCF Sports Thread - Basketball: NIT Bid? Football: Spring Practice Underway

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, SOUL, ChosenSavior

UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod
And1: 1,076

Re: Official UCF Sports Thread: Football Recruiting Hot and Heavy 

Post#1961 » by UCF » Fri Aug 4, 2023 12:30 am

UCFJayBird wrote:
UCF wrote:Tomorrow should be an interesting day with the Pac”9” seeing what their media rights are actually worth.

I just realized I hit 20 years last week on RealGM, and you're about to hit it in a few weeks too. :o

Makes me feel very old to think that’s how long it’s been since I was a freshman in college. I still play in the VBA league too.
Kent
Veteran
And1: 1,186

Post#1962 » by Kent » Fri Aug 4, 2023 12:48 am

YosemiteSam wrote:
UCFJayBird wrote:
UCF wrote:Tomorrow should be an interesting day with the Pac”9” seeing what their media rights are actually worth.

I just realized I hit 20 years last week on RealGM, and you're about to hit it in a few weeks too. :o

I join you in the 20 year club in 5 months :D

Ha! 2 years and 9 days away myself.
Ryan Anderson = Pat Garrity 10.0
-LBPTarHeel27
Viper1500
Head Coach
And1: 2,715

Post#1963 » by Viper1500 » Sat Aug 5, 2023 2:16 am

Arizona and Utah joining has me very excited! UCF has some legit competition
Duradero
Pro Prospect
And1: 134

Post#1964 » by Duradero » Mon Aug 7, 2023 10:35 am

OG RealGm'ers! Even the lurkers like me- it's been a long time.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,442

Post#1965 » by UCFJayBird » Mon Aug 7, 2023 1:05 pm

Viper1500 wrote:Arizona and Utah joining has me very excited! UCF has some legit competition

I'm glad we're finally on the winning side of realignment, but I'm not a huge fan of how big the conferences are getting. It's going to be interesting to see how it all shakes out, because obviously we need to wait and see what happens with the remaining PAC teams. They could try and raid the MWC, but the buyouts there are too hefty, so a merger might make more sense. They could dissolve and split up into other conferences, but the Big10 and Big12 are already massive, though it seems we're heading for 3-4 massive conferences so maybe the PAC and ACC merge, which is probably best option for both conferences in terms of survivability and staying relevant, but it'd be a pretty rough travel arrangement (even worse than the Big 12, lol).
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Post#1966 » by UCF » Mon Aug 7, 2023 4:05 pm

Duradero wrote:OG RealGm'ers! Even the lurkers like me- it's been a long time.

Yeah, you’ve been here 20 years as well. I lurk a lot more than I post these days too.
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Post#1967 » by UCF » Mon Aug 7, 2023 4:07 pm

Rumor has it that ASU and Utah didn’t bring a full revenue share from the tv partners. I had wondered why they didn’t grab Stanford as well.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1968 » by UCFJayBird » Wed Aug 9, 2023 1:10 pm

Malzahn and crew absolutely wrecking it on the recruiting trail. Two more 4-stars committed yesterday, including the #5 safety in the country and highest recruit UCF has ever had (Jaylen Howard). The other was 4-star WR Bredell Richardson. The 2024 class is now in the Top 25. I believe 8/16 recruits are Composite 4-stars, and 10/16 are a 4-star on at least one of the major recruiting sites (Rivals, 247, On3, ESPN).

If rumors are true this isn't the end and there couple be a few more 4-stars on the way this month.
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Post#1969 » by UCF » Wed Aug 9, 2023 1:52 pm

Gus has always recruited great so I’m not surprised.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1970 » by UCFJayBird » Wed Aug 9, 2023 3:00 pm

UCF wrote:Gus has always recruited great so I’m not surprised.

True, I'm more surprised at how fast the Big XII bump is happening though. I thought it would be a bit more gradual. I had hoped we might start flirting with Top 25 in 2-3 years, but we might have a Top 25 recruiting class before our first Big 12 game? That's pretty nuts. I thought this year we might get 3-4 4-stars, which would already be huge. But we're at 8+? Likely heading towards double digits? @_@

Of course the key will be can Malzahn and company get the best out of them. There are plenty of teams that have Top 25 (or heck, even Top 10) classes every year and disappoint routinely. The question will be whether the coaching staff can help them reach their maximum potential.

If they can, the sky is the limit.
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Post#1971 » by UCF » Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:27 pm

Looks like the tourist tax money will likely end up with the convention center and the citrus bowl. Not surprised, at all.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1972 » by UCFJayBird » Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:00 pm

UCF wrote:Looks like the tourist tax money will likely end up with the convention center and the citrus bowl. Not surprised, at all.

If there's one thing that doesn't need more money it's that freaking convention center. The Citrus Bowl might make sense IF they're serious about turning it into something great, but that would take A LOT of cash, and I doubt they'll do that. Probably throwing band aid money at it. Waste of money.

Smh.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,281

Post#1973 » by Optimus_Steel » Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:14 pm

UCFJayBird wrote:
UCF wrote:Looks like the tourist tax money will likely end up with the convention center and the citrus bowl. Not surprised, at all.

If there's one thing that doesn't need more money it's that freaking convention center. The Citrus Bowl might make sense IF they're serious about turning it into something great, but that would take A LOT of cash, and I doubt they'll do that. Probably throwing band aid money at it. Waste of money.

Smh.

The convention center nor the Citrus Bowl nor the UCF athletic complex should get that tourist tax money. We have infrastructure, transportation, and road needs that are much better to use on than to park money on those.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using RealGM mobile app
aka: prorl
Fortune Teller
Sophomore
And1: 170

Post#1974 » by Fortune Teller » Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:28 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:
UCFJayBird wrote:

Smh.

The convention center nor the Citrus Bowl nor the UCF athletic complex should get that tourist tax money. We have infrastructure, transportation, and road needs that are much better to use on than to park money on those.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using RealGM mobile app

Tourist tax revenue can only be used for tourism industry marketing and sports & entertainment venues. It’s governed by statute and the only way to change it is to amend the law. In theory you are right, it should be used, at least in part, to benefit the people who live here. But under the current construct it’s not an option.
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Post#1975 » by UCF » Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:17 am

Game week!
dsg2003mach1
Senior
And1: 463

Re: Official UCF Sports Thread (0-0): vs Kent State 

Post#1976 » by dsg2003mach1 » Fri Sep 1, 2023 2:31 am

Overall good job keeping the penalties down compared to last year, overall can’t complain too much about a 50pt win. Looked like the defense settled in

The turnovers looked like the same old crap though
OrlMagic05
Sixth Man
And1: 1,068

Post#1977 » by OrlMagic05 » Fri Sep 1, 2023 2:04 pm

Trying not to be Negative after a blow out, but JRP with 3 turnovers (2int 1fbl) against a Kent State is a little concerning. What's going to happen when the competition is better in the next few weeks? Hopefully its just first game jitters, but it looks like he is starting where he left off last season.
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Re: Official UCF Sports Thread (1-0): @ Boise State 

Post#1978 » by UCF » Fri Sep 1, 2023 3:09 pm

JRP has very little to no loft on his throws and doesn’t look improved from last year imo. Our backup McClain looked good for the few throws they let him make at the end of the game.
OrlandoMagic
Lead Assistant
And1: 435

Re: Official UCF Sports Thread (1-0): @ Boise State 

Post#1979 » by OrlandoMagic » Fri Sep 1, 2023 9:03 pm

Even though we put up points it really wasn’t satisfying to me. Turnovers really hurt us, plus we allowed some big runs. Hopefully we are just fixing things right now. Looking forward to the next game. Also I’m in section 107 if anyone wants to grab a drink next home game
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1980 » by UCFJayBird » Sun Sep 3, 2023 2:07 pm

OrlMagic05 wrote:Trying not to be Negative after a blow out, but JRP with 3 turnovers (2int 1fbl) against a Kent State is a little concerning. What's going to happen when the competition is better in the next few weeks? Hopefully its just first game jitters, but it looks like he is starting where he left off last season.

UCF wrote:JRP has very little to no loft on his throws and doesn’t look improved from last year imo. Our backup McClain looked good for the few throws they let him make at the end of the game.

While the turnovers were concerning, I don't want us to lose sight that JRP had a really good game otherwise. 73% completion, 281 yards, 3 TDs, with 90 yards rushing and 1 TD on the ground. Granted, that's against Kent State, but it's still a good game.

His loft is certainly an issue, whether that's something Hinshaw can get him to correct quickly is up for debate. Particularly his second INT in the endzone, if he puts a little more loft on it he's got another TD and over 300 yards. That seems like it should be something teachable.

To me, JRP looked a lot better than last year throwing the ball. Still has work to do, but I saw improvement. The fumble was just him being reckless and losing focus. Gotta protect it. Honestly my biggest disappointment was him trying to hurdle some guys in the first game, lol. Get down and don't risk injury against Kent State my dude.

JRP will be (unsurprisingly) the biggest factor week in and week out. If he can limit turnovers and actually challenge defense vertically from time to time we'll be really good this season. If he's a turnover machine or can't go deep at all we'll struggle at times.

Return to Orlando Magic