ImageImageImageImage

"Jonathan is having a great summer."

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, SOUL, ChosenSavior

drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,043

Re: "Jonathan is having a great summer." 

Post#41 » by drsd » Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:27 pm

Bensational wrote:Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me.
Fool me three times, shame on me again. I should’ve seen it coming.
Fool me four times, and now you’re taking advantage of a vulnerable person.
Fool me five times, and now it’s back to me, I need to take some accountability for allowing myself to be fooled so often.
Fool me six times, and now you’ve fallen into my trap. I was never fooled to begin with and now YOU are the one who is fooled!

The thing about this proverb, is that at some point it is "Shame on both of us!"
drsd
RealGM

Post#42 » by drsd » Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:31 pm

JBSouthpaw wrote:Quote from Jeff Weltman via the Orlando Magic Daily.
https://orlandomagicdaily.com/2023/07/12/orlando-magic-seem-confident-can-lean-jonathan-isaac/

"Jonathan is having a great summer. He looks terrific. . . . He’s doing all the things to put himself in a position to succeed. The doctors seem to feel confident with it. We’ll just see where it goes."

“That guy is a game-changing player. I think people kind out of sight, out of mind, forget how good he is.”

fool me 3 times.....?

Blah blah ginger is this from the quote:

"Jeff Weltman via the Orlando Magic Daily ....... We’ll just see where it goes."

I just blocked out the rest of the interview.

davey_wavy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,013

Post#43 » by davey_wavy » Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:45 am

Residual-Heat wrote:
thelead wrote:The amount of hate JI gets is unreal... and sad.

i dont agree with a lot of his political views, but damn the way some people talk about him you'd think he's Miles Bridges.

That he doesn't kneel for anyone but God?
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,069

Post#44 » by p0peye » Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:22 pm

There is a universe in which Isaac is healthy in upcoming season, securing another contract with us.

thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,971

Post#45 » by thelead » Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:49 pm

p0peye wrote:There is a universe in which Isaac is healthy in upcoming season, securing another contract with us.

Even if he plays 70+ games, he’s not getting a large contract from anyone at this point. If he stays healthy, we’ll likely retain him on a healthy discount due to the medical concerns.
jonbob17
Analyst
And1: 1,317

Post#46 » by jonbob17 » Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:06 pm

Knightro wrote:The fact that they didn't at all address the backup PF position is perplexing. I can't imagine actually putting any faith in Isaac's availability.

I personally wouldn't play Moritz at PF either, but it seems like they might be considering a Moe/Goga twin towers thing.

you can stagger the starters. Moe at PF next to Wendell isn't a terrible option. Goga next to Paolo...might make some sense sense on the other end.
jonbob17
Analyst

Post#47 » by jonbob17 » Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:09 pm

16 minutes a game of Isaac would be cheat mode for the Magic....Is 16 gd minutes too much to ask?

I mean he did have 5.3 STOCKS per 36 last year, and he didn't even look all that nimble...looks it up...lead the league of players with more than 6 minutes last year...lol...JJJ at 5.1 last year, wow i didn't realize he ended up with that many blocks.
drsd
RealGM

Post#48 » by drsd » Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:32 am

jonbob17 wrote:16 minutes a game of Isaac would be cheat mode for the Magic....Is 16 gd minutes too much to ask?

I mean he did have 5.3 STOCKS per 36 last year, and he didn't even look all that nimble...looks it up...lead the league of players with more than 6 minutes last year...lol...JJJ at 5.1 last year, wow i didn't realize he ended up with that many blocks.

You are proposing paying Isaac $1,087,500 per mpg (minute per game). Seems fair to me.
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 726

Post#49 » by RichCollab » Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:51 am

jonbob17 wrote:
Knightro wrote:The fact that they didn't at all address the backup PF position is perplexing. I can't imagine actually putting any faith in Isaac's availability.

I personally wouldn't play Moritz at PF either, but it seems like they might be considering a Moe/Goga twin towers thing.

you can stagger the starters. Moe at PF next to Wendell isn't a terrible option. Goga next to Paolo...might make some sense sense on the other end.

Actually Moe is a 3rd stringer. If we want to win, we really need to limit his time on the floor.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,282

Post#50 » by Optimus_Steel » Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:00 pm

At this point this is like the Grant Hill situation were I want the guy gone because he is more distraction than anything. I cant see the guy staying healthy for long stretches.
aka: prorl
jonbob17
Analyst

Post#51 » by jonbob17 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:38 pm

RichCollab wrote:
jonbob17 wrote:

Actually Moe is a 3rd stringer. If we want to win, we really need to limit his time on the floor.

I guess it depends on who you see as the back up 4, if Isaac is not available. Who else are we going to give the minutes to? Chuma?
jonbob17
Analyst

Post#52 » by jonbob17 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:39 pm

drsd wrote:
jonbob17 wrote:16 minutes a game of Isaac would be cheat mode for the Magic....Is 16 gd minutes too much to ask?

You are proposing paying Isaac $1,087,500 per mpg (minute per game). Seems fair to me.

Yah, I would be happy with that rate if it kept him healthy for 65 games this season, assuming the production was there, now I am not suggesting he gets a new deal at that kind of money....but I would be fine with 16 minutes a game at $17M a year this year and possibly next, and a new deal at a lower salary in the future, provided there are no more setbacks....
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 726

Post#53 » by RichCollab » Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:41 pm

jonbob17 wrote:
RichCollab wrote:
jonbob17 wrote:

I guess it depends on who you see as the back up 4, if Isaac is not available. Who else are we going to give the minutes to? Chuma?

Options aren’t great. Franz can slide to PF when Paolo is off the court? Ingles? Chuma may not even be a 3rd string.
jonbob17
Analyst

Post#54 » by jonbob17 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:53 pm

RichCollab wrote:
jonbob17 wrote:
RichCollab wrote:

Options aren’t great. Franz can slide to PF when Paolo is off the court? Ingles? Chuma may not even be a 3rd string.

It's completely possible that MoW is entrenched as the backup center. and Goga is the afterthought, depth play. Then there are minutes available at 4 for JI, franz, Chuma, and i suppose Ingles. Chuma and Ingles(at 4) doesn't really inspire a whole lot to me....assuming Chuma hasn't figured something out.

I am not a big MoW guy, but he was pretty good last year, probably better off with his production at the 5, but the absolute lack of rim protection is problematic.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,589

Post#55 » by eyriq » Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:03 pm

Does this count as a healthy offseason for him? It was encouraging seeing him in Vegas with the team.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,935

Post#56 » by RookieStar » Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:27 pm

Does no one see MowSwag like I do? A big version of TRoss? When he is on, he is really on fire. Check him in the 1st quarter and if he sucks, he probably will suck the entire game so sit him and go to someone else. However, if his inner Olajuwon does come out right away, you know all game long he is gonna go for 30pts so keep playing him.
Orlando Dawg
Analyst
And1: 53

Post#57 » by Orlando Dawg » Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:05 pm

At this point the only thing Johnathan Isaac has left to prove is that he can get a sex change and be successful in the WNBA
uraverage
Rookie
And1: 473

Post#58 » by uraverage » Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:44 am

Truly one of my biggest fears... JI plays half of the first 40 games and stunts PBs growth. Its time for the Magic to make him disappear.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,935

Post#59 » by RookieStar » Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:56 am

uraverage wrote:Truly one of my biggest fears... JI plays half of the first 40 games and stunts PBs growth. Its time for the Magic to make him disappear.

Even if JI plays the 1st 40games at the same skill level he shown before the injuries, how could that stunt PBs growth?
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,843

Post#60 » by Skybox » Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:19 am

RookieStar wrote:
uraverage wrote:Truly one of my biggest fears... JI plays half of the first 40 games and stunts PBs growth. Its time for the Magic to make him disappear.

Even if JI plays the 1st 40games at the same skill level he shown before the injuries, how could that stunt PBs growth?

Agree…completely complementary players. JI, on his best day, wouldn’t take shots from Paolo…maybe take tough defensive assignments off Paolo’s plate, if on the court together.

I actually think the stage is set for JI to make a real contribution playing 15 mins a game, backing up 3-5 (depending on matchups, schemes, injuries). I like the vision of JI just bringing crazy defensive energy in small doses. I really hope he’s healthy. Imo, this is the last shot in ORL. I could see him getting waived, sitting out a year or two before coming back on a vet min to a contender- like a much younger Bill Walton or (gulp) Grant Hill. I can’t imagine anyone expects a full-time Isaac ever again…but the Lord works in mysterious ways :roll:

Return to Orlando Magic