ImageImageImageImage

Jett Howard assigned to G-League

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, SOUL, ChosenSavior

pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,409

Re: Jett Howard assigned to G-League 

Post#441 » by pepe1991 » Tue Apr 2, 2024 1:56 pm

fendilim wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
fendilim wrote:who didn’t?

Jett. didn't even do measures.

At that point he might have gotten a promise already, perhaps similar with Franz. We don’t know.

Maybe it was part of him committing to University of Michigan, a university that the Devos family donates to. Perhaps getting drafted in the first round was part of the recruiting process.

Acquiring players from Michigan has been something we’re doing for a while now

So.... scouting report on Magic draft decision for lottery pick: "not basketball reasons listed" :lol:
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 712

Post#442 » by JoshuaPotter » Tue Apr 2, 2024 2:01 pm

Furinkazan wrote:.. maybe it will change in the future but right now every re draft has us as biggest losers this past draft wasting 2 picks.....one with Black who should have gone in mid 20 ish.... and Jett dropping to oblivion

The only draft players that had a chance for cracking our rotation was Brandon Miller, Scoot, Wemby.

I really believe any other draft pick would have be shoe horned with the same plan. Unfortunately, we are going to have to wait to see just how good or bad these picks pan out.

I am not hopeful in Howard as at least Black has shown flashes and measurable improvement to have a 3&D floor.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,844

Post#443 » by Skybox » Tue Apr 2, 2024 2:37 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:Personally I like Keyonte / Cason over what we got in Howard at this second. Could just be because I have actually seen them in minutes.

Dick would not have cracked this roster either.

My "hindsight 20/20" guys are Cason and Lively...Lively is the young version of exactly what we should be looking for in a Center next to Paolo & Franz. Cason would fit as the "Not quite a PG, not ball-dominant but capable of handling, shoots 3's, plays D" archetype that it looks like we're leaning towards.

Personally, I think we need serious scoring from a backcourt spot, but Wallace would have been a good fit -even if off the bench...Black (projects-hopefully to) fits that spot too - just not next to Suggs. I like Suggs next to a scorer and AB next to a scorer off the bench. Keyonte maybe could have been that explosive starting "pseudo PG" but I'm not really sold on him being a lot more than Cole.

We can fix it this summer...but Lively on a rookie deal would be nice right now - watching how Isaac impacts everything defensively.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#444 » by Skybox » Tue Apr 2, 2024 2:37 pm

I really hope we don't draft a Michigan guy so the conspiracy theories go away.
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#445 » by JoshuaPotter » Tue Apr 2, 2024 2:40 pm

Skybox wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:Personally I like Keyonte / Cason over what we got in Howard at this second. Could just be because I have actually seen them in minutes.

My "hindsight 20/20" guys are Cason and Lively...Lively is the young version of exactly what we should be looking for in a Center next to Paolo & Franz. Cason would fit as the "Not quite a PG, not ball-dominant but capable of handling, shoots 3's, plays D" archetype that it looks like we're leaning towards.

Personally, I think we need serious scoring from a backcourt spot, but Wallace would have been a good fit -even if off the bench...Black (projects-hopefully to) fits that spot too - just not next to Suggs. I like Suggs next to a scorer and AB next to a scorer off the bench. Keyonte maybe could have been that explosive starting "pseudo PG" but I'm not really sold on him being a lot more than Cole.

We can fix it this summer...but Lively on a rookie deal would be nice right now - watching how Isaac impacts everything defensively.

Taylor & Lively were both interesting to me. After watching our treatment of Goga I do not think it would have boded well for him (lively) either. Maybe I am wrong.

The biggest challenge this year will be us having to look in hindsight 4 years from now and then say what we did right or wrong. Too much raw talent in this draft. Current hindsight 20/20 for me is "nobody" would have played because Mose was in "win now" mode.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#446 » by Skybox » Tue Apr 2, 2024 2:41 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:
Skybox wrote:

Taylor & Lively were both interesting to me. After watching our treatment of Goga I do not think it would have boded well for him (lively) either. Maybe I am wrong.

The biggest challenge this year will be us having to look in hindsight 4 years from now and then say what we did right or wrong. Too much raw talent in this draft. Current hindsight 20/20 for me is "nobody" would have played because Mose was in "win now" mode.

I have to say my REAL "20/20 hindsight" picks are trade TWO lottery picks (with expiring salaries) for an established player...that was very do-able.
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#447 » by JoshuaPotter » Tue Apr 2, 2024 2:47 pm

Skybox wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:
Skybox wrote:

I have to say my REAL "20/20 hindsight" picks are trade TWO lottery picks (with expiring salaries) for an established player...that was very do-able.

Eh this is my problem. Sounds doable. I don't think it was though.

Someone made a point that Weham or whatever our orgs name is feels like they were playing with house money after this draft. Our treatment of our picks tells me that is exactly what the plan was. Regardless of how good or bad they were. Again, unless it was Scoot / Miller / Wemby.

There was talks about us using our picks to move up and grab Scoot. I would have been very very happy with that. Even as a rookie taking his lumps. I do think we explored the idea of getting a PG at multiple points this season and it just didn't materialize for a reason you and I do not know.

Both Fultz + WCJ were rumored at the trade deadline to be dangled. We just don't know what the asking prices were or the players + picks GM's countered with.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#448 » by Skybox » Tue Apr 2, 2024 2:58 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:
Skybox wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:

Eh this is my problem. Sounds doable. I don't think it was though.

Someone made a point that Weham or whatever our orgs name is feels like they were playing with house money after this draft. Our treatment of our picks tells me that is exactly what the plan was. Regardless of how good or bad they were. Again, unless it was Scoot / Miller / Wemby.

There was talks about us using our picks to move up and grab Scoot. I would have been very very happy with that. Even as a rookie taking his lumps. I do think we explored the idea of getting a PG at multiple points this season and it just didn't materialize for a reason you and I do not know.

Both Fultz + WCJ were rumored at the trade deadline to be dangled. We just don't know what the asking prices were or the players + picks GM's countered with.

Probably not a popular take around here...but I'd trade them both for Scoot right now. I think he's going to be a real one. You could see him bowing up with Suggs. They'd be great together and the shooting, while disappointing, is there enough to be a threat...very much like Ja, as was the pre-draft profile.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,201

Post#449 » by zaymon » Tue Apr 2, 2024 3:11 pm

For what we need next to Franz and Paolo, Jett seems like the best fit. Cason is too similar to Suggs and Black.
Lively would be a good bet, but i doubt he will ever come close to what JI is.
We were rumoured to talk about Lillard so its not like we didnt try to trade our picks.
Suggs/*/Wagner/Banchero/Isaac

* Howard fits as good as anyone from 2023 draft.
If he is half as good of a shooter as he shows in g league he could be more certain as a starter than Jalen.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,186

Post#450 » by OrlChamps2030 » Tue Apr 2, 2024 3:20 pm

fendilim wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
fendilim wrote:who didn’t?

At that point he might have gotten a promise already, perhaps similar with Franz. We don’t know.

Maybe it was part of him committing to University of Michigan, a university that the Devos family donates to. Perhaps getting drafted in the first round was part of the recruiting process.

Dude.. just no lol
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,299

Post#451 » by MagicMatic » Tue Apr 2, 2024 3:43 pm

Skybox wrote:I really hope we don't draft a Michigan guy so the conspiracy theories go away.

I don't know how this is even a conspiracy theory anymore.

There are 4 guys on the team that went to Michigan (Houstan, Wagners, Jett) all of which were acquired in the last 5 seasons. Ignas Brazdeikas was recently on the team and DJ Wilson was in our summer league team by no accident. Im actually surprised they didn't go all in for Poole when they are they chance. There are only 3 real rotational players that are in the league from Michigan that aren't on Orlando... Poole, Hardaway Jr, and LeVert... So more than half of all Michigan players are in Orlando.

Thats an abnormally high number of guys from one school in that small of a window. It's not a coincidence or a conspiracy.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#452 » by Skybox » Tue Apr 2, 2024 3:49 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
Skybox wrote:I really hope we don't draft a Michigan guy so the conspiracy theories go away.

There are 4 guys on the team that went to Michigan (Houstan, Wagners, Jett) all of which were acquired in the last 5 seasons. Ignas Brazdeikas was recently on the team and DJ Wilson was in our summer league team by no accident. Im actually surprised they didn't go all in for Poole when they are they chance. There are only 3 real rotational players that are in the league from Michigan that aren't on Orlando... Poole, Hardaway Jr, and LeVert... So more than half of all Michigan players are in Orlando.

Thats an abnormally high number of guys from one school in that small of a window. It's not a coincidence or a conspiracy.

when it gets to the point that it's being suggested that us promising to draft them is a recruiting tool for Michigan - it's a conspiracy theory

Jett's dad got fired...how does that factor? Is he our next coach?
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#453 » by MagicMatic » Tue Apr 2, 2024 3:52 pm

Skybox wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

when it gets to the point that it's being suggested that us promising to draft them is a recruiting tool for Michigan - it's a conspiracy theory

I mean.. J. Howard was the coach there before he was fired.

Do you want to believe Jett wasn’t a huge reach as well as a better look to get drafted higher for Michigan as a program?

Or do you want to believe he was not only the best prospect and pick, but he just happened to go to Michigan as well? Lol
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,050

Post#454 » by fendilim » Tue Apr 2, 2024 4:17 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
fendilim wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

So.... scouting report on Magic draft decision for lottery pick: "not basketball reasons listed" :lol:
it happens everywhere.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,050

Post#455 » by fendilim » Tue Apr 2, 2024 4:20 pm

Skybox wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

May be a coincidence that team owner is also based in Michigan..

Fwiw, i like the Jett pick lol. It just doesnt make sense to give a rookie a major role now that we’re trying to compete, what more two rookies.

Jett just doesnt have his opportunity to prove himself. Playing a mix of Veterans is more important for a young team trying to make the playoffs. Simple reason why Fultz still gets playing time compared than black. Fultz brings stability and is better doing most things than Black can do right now. Plus he is physically ready to bang bodies.
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#456 » by MagicMatic » Tue Apr 2, 2024 4:21 pm

fendilim wrote:
Skybox wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

And make large donations to the school and are huge in the community… yeah nothing to see here
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,861

Post#457 » by Knightro » Tue Apr 2, 2024 4:32 pm

Just to be clear on one thing and also throw some cold water on some of this wild (and IMO inaccurate) Michigan speculation.

The DeVos family over the years has donated tens of millions of dollars to MICHIGAN STATE UNIVERSITY, not the University of Michigan.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#458 » by Skybox » Tue Apr 2, 2024 4:36 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
fendilim wrote:
Skybox wrote:

And make large donations to the school and are huge in the community… yeah nothing to see here

I get that there are connections...maybe even an inside track to their players...but what are you suggesting? The basketball guys wanted someone else but we chose Jett because the Devos family are Michigan supporters, fans, alumni, whatever? To what end would Weltman handcuff himself? Franz was the steal of the draft - perhaps good info from Howard because he liked what we are building and understands the connection to financial support. I would say maybe an oversell on his son moved him up the draft, but he wasn't drafted as a "favor" to good old UM. That I can buy but the ORL Magic are not drafting lesser prospects for some abstract connection to the school...Maybe all of the UofM administrative offices buy their supplies at 50% markups from Amway.

Mo was signed here and his bro is on the team. Caleb was a value pick in the 2nd round - coming out of HS, he was highly rated.

I'd say there's a relationship. Friends in the college ranks are important for trusted intel...but I don't see some obligation beyond that. Not getting how making large donations TO the school would obligate an NBA team to do them favors in the draft.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#459 » by Skybox » Tue Apr 2, 2024 4:39 pm

Knightro wrote:Just to be clear on one thing and also throw some cold water on some of this wild (and IMO inaccurate) Michigan speculation.

The DeVos family over the years has donated tens of millions of dollars to MICHIGAN STATE UNIVERSITY, not the University of Michigan.

That makes more sense...no way those ScamWay guys got into U of M. That's like Ivy League competitiveness.
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#460 » by MagicMatic » Tue Apr 2, 2024 4:48 pm

Skybox wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
fendilim wrote:May be a coincidence that team owner is also based in Michigan..

I get that there are connections...maybe even an inside track to their players...but what are you suggesting? The basketball guys wanted someone else but we chose Jett because the Devos family are Michigan supporters, fans, alumni, whatever? To what end would Weltman handcuff himself? Franz was the steal of the draft - perhaps good info from Howard because he liked what we are building and understands the connection to financial support. I would say maybe an oversell on his son moved him up the draft, but he wasn't drafted as a "favor" to good old UM. That I can buy but the ORL Magic are not drafting lesser prospects for some abstract connection to the school...Maybe all of the UofM administrative offices buy their supplies at 50% markups from Amway.

Mo was signed here and his bro is on the team. Caleb was a value pick in the 2nd round - coming out of HS, he was highly rated.

I'd say there's a relationship. Friends in the college ranks are important for trusted intel...but I don't see some obligation beyond that. Not getting how making large donations TO the school would obligate an NBA team to do them favors in the draft.

I don't think its a direct connection per se.

However, I think when it comes down to picking between prospects its a deciding factor in who they are taking.

And I don't think its necessarily a Michigan University thing. I think its ALL of MICHIGAN. Gary Harris is also on the team but Michigan State doesn't have a lot of big pro prospects lately.

Return to Orlando Magic