ImageImageImageImage

2023-2024 Regular Season Game 58: Orlando Magic (32-25) at Atlanta Hawks (24-32) - 7pm

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, SOUL, ChosenSavior

DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,580

Re: 2023-2024 Regular Season Game 58: Orlando Magic (32-25) at Atlanta Hawks (24-32) - 7pm 

Post#541 » by DiplomaticMagic » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:57 am

Every **** time I get excited about playoff seeding, we lay an egg.

If this team is in play-in, I dont expect us to win. The Heat and Hawks will beat us. This could easily be a disaster season.
Trade for Jarret Allen
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 38,111

Re: 2023-2024 Regular Season Game 58: Orlando Magic (32-25) at Atlanta Hawks (24-32) - 7pm 

Post#542 » by SOUL » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:04 am

DiplomaticMagic wrote:Every **** time I get excited about playoff seeding, we lay an egg.

If this team is in play-in, I dont expect us to win. The Heat and Hawks will beat us. This could easily be a disaster season.

Luckily, most playoff games aren't back to back on the road games with our all-star and best defensive player out.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,409

Post#543 » by pepe1991 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:29 am

When you redshirt rookie whole year problem is.. next year he will be "rookie" and still go through all rookie mistakes.

That's why it made more sense to simply trade away pick.

And our best chance at avoiding playin are 76ers.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,135

Post#544 » by KillMonger » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:49 am

eyriq wrote:6th Man Show pushing the "AB is the starting PG" narrative is a love letter straight to my heart.

i mean the alternative is a markelle fultz that's in and out of the lineup due to knee maintenance?
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,135

Post#545 » by KillMonger » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:59 am

one thing that needs to change is our offense man, i just don't like it....there's some horns actions but to be honest i love more flex actions
SloNick Russia
Analyst
And1: 390

Post#546 » by SloNick Russia » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:53 am

1-7 on road B2B, a only wish we would sit JI 8n this one. The offense was dead from the start, if not Houstan making all threes it would be over earlier. AB on offense was not there, Fultz was very bad, Suggs passive. Everybody is high on Goga but dude is a D+ offensive player at best and we often just don`t have the rotation to make up for it.

Sent from my SM-G9750 using RealGM mobile app
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,043

Post#547 » by drsd » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:57 am

The game flow for this game is telling. Mostly the Magic in a tiny lad the whole of the first half, and then the third quarter.

1) Opens with 8-1 Atlanta run
2) Followed by a Magic 6-0 run
3) Followed by a 10-2 Atlanta run
4) Followed by a 7-0 Magic run.

Then the bench came in. M-Fultz, Anthony Houstan, Ingles, and M-Wagner "led" a 1-18 run where Atlanta blew the game apart. Yuck.

5) In the start'ish of the 4th, another 8-1 run by the Haws to take their lead to 20. The Magic did make it interesting with a 15-4 run that followed, to take the game to 9.

What I took from this game is that the Magic can easily lose focus. There is a lot of game film for the coaching staff to ram down the Magicians thoughts. The whole second half was an epic failure of team performance.

For me this had nothing to do with energy via being the back end of a BtB. A team doesn't get blown-out at the start of third because they are tired. This was something else.

In the end the Magic lost a winnable game. Great teams win games like this.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,956

Post#548 » by basketballRob » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:30 am

Just looking at the stats, you would think Wendell had a good game. He was bad, along with Cole and Moe.

Wendell has never had a positive net rating in his career

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,843

Post#549 » by Skybox » Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:06 pm

pennyfan94 wrote:Man, a healthy CP3 (for a year) would work wonders for this squad, and even coach Mosley.

Sadly, I agree. There just appears to be no offensive game management or scheme beyond “whose turn is it?”…anyone can be locked down in iso.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,861

Post#550 » by Knightro » Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:40 pm

eyriq wrote:
Knightro wrote:
eyriq wrote:Quick comp of the G-League statistics:

Jett: 24.5% Usage, 20/3/3 on 46/84/37 shooting, +/- (1.9), ORtg 116.5, DRtg 113.1, NRtg 3.4
Caleb: 22% Usage, 16/5/2 on 41/91/37 shooting, +/- (-3.7), ORtg 107.9m DRtg 114.1, NRtg -6.2

The G-League doesn’t mean anything man. I’m genuinely shocked you even went that route to cite those stats.

Trevelin Queen was quite literally the MVP of the G-League and is obviously not an NBA player.

It really isn't that hard man, this is basic analysis 101, control for the competitive environment so that the differences between the two players can be taken as apples to apples. G-League stats allow you to control for competitive environment so you get a fair comparison between the two players. Both were rookies, both were in the G-League, Jett clearly clears Caleb. Sorry if you don't like the indicators.

I can’t believe we’re doing this.

The indicators you speak of aren’t actually indicators and you know it.

There’s literally nothing about a prospect being able to succeed in the G-League that says it will translate to NBA success.

Caleb is a guy, given his lack of ball handling ability, that’s always going to rely on other players to create shots for him. He is a possession finisher.

Jett having good enough handles to beat non NBA players is not at all some indicator that he’s got more upside at the NBA level than Caleb does. Why? Because those handles that allow Jett to thrive more than Caleb at that lower level don’t translate to the higher level.

So yes, *theoretically* if Howard’s handle and passing are much better than Houstan’s, that would give him more upside. But if Jett’s advantage is negated by the step up in competition, what are we actually left with?

Caleb is probably the more natural and better shooter. Neither guy is going to provide all that much value as a defender.

When you factor in what they’re actually able to do against NBA defenders, it’s not likely going to look all that different.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,589

Post#551 » by eyriq » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:00 pm

Knightro wrote:
eyriq wrote:
Knightro wrote:
The G-League doesn’t mean anything man. I’m genuinely shocked you even went that route to cite those stats.

Trevelin Queen was quite literally the MVP of the G-League and is obviously not an NBA player.

It really isn't that hard man, this is basic analysis 101, control for the competitive environment so that the differences between the two players can be taken as apples to apples. G-League stats allow you to control for competitive environment so you get a fair comparison between the two players. Both were rookies, both were in the G-League, Jett clearly clears Caleb. Sorry if you don't like the indicators.

I can’t believe we’re doing this.

The indicators you speak of aren’t actually indicators and you know it.

There’s literally nothing about a prospect being able to succeed in the G-League that says it will translate to NBA success.

Caleb is a guy, given his lack of ball handling ability, that’s always going to rely on other players to create shots for him. He is a possession finisher.

Jett having good enough handles to beat non NBA players is not at all some indicator that he’s got more upside at the NBA level than Caleb does. Why? Because those handles that allow Jett to thrive more than Caleb at that lower level don’t translate to the higher level.

So yes, *theoretically* if Howard’s handle and passing are much better than Houstan’s, that would give him more upside. But if Jett’s advantage is negated by the step up in competition, what are we actually left with?

Caleb is probably the more natural and better shooter. Neither guy is going to provide all that much value as a defender.

When you factor in what they’re actually able to do against NBA defenders, it’s not likely going to look all that different.

There isn't a good reason to believe they are the same player. Jett was drafted in the lottery, Caleb in the second round. Jett has performed better in the G-League. If you are going to buy stock in one of them the more logical choice is Jett. If not Jett, then definitely not Caleb because of the above reasons. If not Jett, you probably need to root for us to trade for our shooter, which is my position since I don't own any Jett stock either. I rest my case.
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,068

Post#552 » by p0peye » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:01 pm

One way of looking at player is observing how his team mates react to him on the floor, as they are the one watching him and playing against him in practices. For instance, you can listen to Brunson podcast where he describes how the team was aware that Luka is something special before playing first NBA game and it showed on the court as they deferred to him and trusted him to lead the offense.

On other end of spectrum, you have players on the floor being wide open, but nobody passing the ball to them. If they take the ball across the court, they immediately pass it to main guy and run to the corner to be ignored rest of the possession.

Ball don't lie.
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,752

Post#553 » by Bergmaniac » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:21 pm

Bad loss. We just suck on second nights of B2B for whatever reason. I really hope Isaac is not seriously injured, the team needs him badly and the poor guy has suffered more than enough from bad injuries over his career.

Franz didn't have a great game by any means, but the team was way better when he was on the court and that wasn't a coincidence. He was +6 in a game we lost by 17. He sat for 15 minutes and we had disastrous 45.2 ORTG and -74.2 net rating in this time.

A lot of it was Isaac being out for most of the game, the bench's dominance this year has largely been thanks to him, especially with Ingles not looking that great after the first month and a half of the season. Also, Fultz had a disaster game. At this point playing is just absurd, I just don't see anything that he gives us that remotely outweights his massive flaws. Black is extremely raw offensively and does too little off the dribble to be a real PG currently, but at least he gives the team a very good defence and every minute he plays is valuable for his development. Plus he can make a three once in a while. Playing Fultz over him makes no sense.
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 712

Post#554 » by JoshuaPotter » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:32 pm

I couldn't watch or listen into this one. I saw that Paolo was out and got much needed rest. I also can say that we lose 100% of our games when he is out. Sadly we needed several players to step up big and the bunch laid an egg. Everyone needs to work on offense this offseason as the defense is alright.

Can't win em all chums, lets help we turn this around next game with Paolo back.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,179

Post#555 » by tiderulz » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:33 pm

DiplomaticMagic wrote:Every **** time I get excited about playoff seeding, we lay an egg.

in no way do i see this as a possible disaster season. There were no real expectations to go deep into playoffs. the biggest questions about Paolo have been his outside shooting and he is shooting 36% from 3, Suggs has shown improvement in his shooting. those 2 things alone would made it a successful season. and add it letting the players fight it out to make the playoffs and the learning that comes with that grind. yeah, no way it is a disaster season for me. even if they dont make the playoffs, it would only be disappointing, no more than that
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#556 » by JoshuaPotter » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:37 pm

tiderulz wrote:

in no way do i see this as a possible disaster season. There were no real expectations to go deep into playoffs. the biggest questions about Paolo have been his outside shooting and he is shooting 36% from 3, Suggs has shown improvement in his shooting. those 2 things alone would made it a successful season. and add it letting the players fight it out to make the playoffs and the learning that comes with that grind. yeah, no way it is a disaster season for me. even if they dont make the playoffs, it would only be disappointing, no more than that

We are on the verge of playoff vs playins and plenty of games left to go in a season. Diplo probably wanted to vet, I just can't see how the season is a disaster when we field a roster with this many offensive holes.

- Still waiting for a 3rd option to step up on offense reliably
- Anthony got the start and the minutes I would want. So even in the L i'll take it as I said I would before.
- Get well Fultz.
- Did Isaac get injured?
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,956

Post#557 » by basketballRob » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:53 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

We are on the verge of playoff vs playins and plenty of games left to go in a season. Diplo probably wanted to vet, I just can't see how the season is a disaster when we field a roster with this many offensive holes.

- Anthony got the start and the minutes I would want. So even in the L i'll take it as I said I would before.
- Get well Fultz.
- Did Isaac get injured?
Yes, Isaac strained his knee. He'll probably be out for a couple of weeks.

JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#558 » by JoshuaPotter » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:43 pm

basketballRob wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:
tiderulz wrote:in no way do i see this as a possible disaster season. There were no real expectations to go deep into playoffs. the biggest questions about Paolo have been his outside shooting and he is shooting 36% from 3, Suggs has shown improvement in his shooting. those 2 things alone would made it a successful season. and add it letting the players fight it out to make the playoffs and the learning that comes with that grind. yeah, no way it is a disaster season for me. even if they dont make the playoffs, it would only be disappointing, no more than that

- Get well Fultz.
- Did Isaac get injured?
Yes, Isaac strained his knee. He'll probably be out for a couple of weeks.

So you are saying there is a chance?
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,580

Post#559 » by DiplomaticMagic » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:00 pm

SOUL wrote:

Luckily, most playoff games aren't back to back on the road games with our all-star and best defensive player out.

Playoffs?? Lets get past the playin first!! The Heat and Hawks have our number!! How could we be confident going into a do or die game against them!! The Hawks were without their allstar and best defensive player too!! (Trae and Okongwu)

If this team doesnt make the playoffs, this is 1000% a disaster season, i don't care what **** spin you put on it!!!
Trade for Jarret Allen
byeganyo
Junior
And1: 137

Post#560 » by byeganyo » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:00 pm

eyriq wrote:Jett was drafted in the lottery, Caleb in the second round. Jett has performed better in the G-League. If you are going to buy stock in one of them the more logical choice is Jett. If not Jett, then definitely not Caleb because of the above reasons. If not Jett, you probably need to root for us to trade for our shooter, which is my position since I don't own any Jett stock either. I rest my case.

Jokic was drafted in the 2nd round. Can you stop with this nonsense? Caleb is not Jokic, but when he is doing what he has been asked to do - shooting 3s IN NBA, you should hope he can keep and improve his level, not referring to his performance in GL or his draft position 2 years ago.

Return to Orlando Magic