FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 - Semi-Finals & Final

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Stannis
RealGM
And1: 10,252

Re: FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 - Semi-Finals & Final 

Post#1221 » by Stannis » Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:12 pm

Anyways, gratz to all the soccer fans. We witnessed some pretty good history here!
Free Palestine
Mamba81p
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,236

Post#1222 » by Mamba81p » Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:15 pm

Stannis wrote:Two wrongs don't make a right. But historically, this is how FIFA operated. Let's not forget, Russia won the 2018 hosting in a joint bid with Qatar for 2022. And Russia was still able to host even though they invaded Ukraine/Crimea in 2014.

And there was lot of criticism about Germany and South Africa bribing their bids as well.

I honestly think Qatar was just willing to pay the most lol. If the FIFA host bids is just a bribe contest, can't blame them for spending their own money.

FBI really only arrested the fall guys. Sepp Blatter, Jack Warner, and Platini never got time and they were the ones really running things and allowing this corruption. Chuck Blazer died.

Anyways, I'd like to see England get the WC host. They were favored to win 2018 or 2022 with USA.

That is why I said all votes. I don't think SA bought all the votes. FIFA will always sell some votes, but they will try to make it less obvious.

Russia was allowed to host, just like Qatar was allowed to host after they asked for a winter WC. They ran on a campaign that was promising a summer WC. Short of a full-scale invasion like Russia did in 2022, nothing would have changed those bids.

They are waiting for Jack Warner to be extradited. They wanted to arrest him along with his sons but he had immunity I think.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,279

Post#1223 » by clyde21 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:16 pm

Stannis wrote:Can't decide if 2010 South Africa or 2022 Qatar was my favorite World Cup. But they are both in the top 2 for sure!

I really started watching in 2006. I remember 2002, but I was still a kid and I didn't have cable TV so I missed a lot of games.

both SA and Qatar are at the top for me too
Stannis
RealGM

Post#1224 » by Stannis » Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:18 pm

I love VAR, that is all.
Free Palestine
Stannis
RealGM

Post#1225 » by Stannis » Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:22 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Stannis wrote:Can't decide if 2010 South Africa or 2022 Qatar was my favorite World Cup. But they are both in the top 2 for sure!

I really started watching in 2006. I remember 2002, but I was still a kid and I didn't have cable TV so I missed a lot of games.

My ranking will be like

South Africa 2010 & Qatar 2022
Germany 2006
Brazil 2014
Russia 2018

Germany 2006 was when I really got into soccer. Played it. And those commercials were the GOAT. My dad would tell me about those old players, how they played, and about the NT histories. I just needed a ball back in the day and some people to play with to be happy haha.

Qatar and South Africa was just an overall immersive experience.
Free Palestine
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,847

Post#1226 » by madmaxmedia » Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:22 pm

Stannis wrote:If I had it my way... some things I wished that happened going into the KO stage.

I wish Uruguay advanced over South Korea. I think Uruguay would have given Brazil a better match up.

An Argentina-Brazil Semi Final, which was spoiled by Croatia who ended up just losing 3-0 to Argentina.

Mexico over Poland. Poland was straight up boring AF. At least we know Mexico wouldn't go down without a fight.

When it was 2-0, I really thought it was just destined for a boring finale. And I wished England or Portugal was in France's place. But man, what a surprise. Mbappe woulda had the best WC performance ever if France won. I know it was 2 PK goals, but to score both of them and still nail your 3rd in the shootout is tough if you ask me.

It wasn’t 2 PK’s, right? He put a great kick in on one of the regulation time goals.
GeorgeSears
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,679

Post#1227 » by GeorgeSears » Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:22 pm

clyde21 wrote:

Interesting, I don't recall SA too fondly, maybe because I was young at the time. The only thing that sticks out to me from that world cup was Felipe Melo's blunders, Casillas saving a potential game winning goal by his back foot, and Iniesta scoring the game winner.

2014 was much more memorable for me.
Stannis
RealGM

Post#1228 » by Stannis » Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:23 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:
Stannis wrote:If I had it my way... some things I wished that happened going into the KO stage.

I wish Uruguay advanced over South Korea. I think Uruguay would have given Brazil a better match up.

An Argentina-Brazil Semi Final, which was spoiled by Croatia who ended up just losing 3-0 to Argentina.

Mexico over Poland. Poland was straight up boring AF. At least we know Mexico wouldn't go down without a fight.

When it was 2-0, I really thought it was just destined for a boring finale. And I wished England or Portugal was in France's place. But man, what a surprise. Mbappe woulda had the best WC performance ever if France won. I know it was 2 PK goals, but to score both of them and still nail your 3rd in the shootout is tough if you ask me.

It wasn’t 2 PK’s, right? He put a great kick in on one of the regulation time goals.

Yeah, I meant 2 of his 3 goals were PKs.
Free Palestine
Stannis
RealGM

Post#1229 » by Stannis » Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:26 pm

GeorgeSears wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Interesting, I don't recall SA too fondly, maybe because I was young at the time. The only thing that sticks out to me from that world cup was Felipe Melo's blunders, Casillas saving a potential game winning goal by his back foot, and Iniesta scoring the game winner.

2014 was much more memorable for me.

2010 had the legendary performance of Diego Forlan. Took Urugay to the semis. That was probably the highlight performance for me.

Also, just good vibes and feels with the Vuvuzelas and that Jabulani ball that keepers hated.
Free Palestine
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,632

Post#1230 » by GSWFan1994 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:29 pm

ChumboChappati wrote:
GSWFan1994 wrote:Lots of babies will be born 9 months from now on Argentina... mark my words

do you think Argentina has a better chance to repeat next WC? they have the best young player and best goalie of this WC

Sincerely, I have no idea. I haven't been following futebol quite closely as I did many, many years ago, due to work, family and other hobbies.

But I know one thing: a lot can happen in 4 years. Just to give you 3 examples:

- Back in 1958, Pelé played the WC as a 17 year old. Now go back in time and ask this same question (you did to me) in, let's say... 1956. Nobody could guess that!

- Same for France in 2018. Ask them that in 2014, when Mbappé was 15.

- Same could be happening right now for Brazil. Have you ever heard of Endrick? He was just recently sold from Palmeiras to Real Madrid for $76,5 million.... and he's just 16! Check it out: link 1, link 2.

As much as you can have a strong team, if you have a generational, all-timer talent, that could hugely tip the scales in your favour.

You can bet there's some kid around the world, RIGHT NOW, that is 14/16 years old and is thinking, "what if it was me there in the field?"

My point is: all the usual teams are ALWAYS the favorites (the old 4, Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Italy; the new 2, France and Spain; perhaps you put England in this mix as well).

Then you've got teams with a generational talent, either by a strong all-around roster without an all-timer (like Marrocos now), or a possible all-timer (like Haaland could do with Norway in the future). Or a mix between the 2 (like Belgium, Croatia, Netherlands through the years)

So, in 4 years anything could happen. And you've got to take the injuries into account too.

Ask me in December 2025 then, lol.
Stannis
RealGM

Post#1231 » by Stannis » Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:36 pm

Argentina loses, who gets the blame?

I'm say Martinez the forward. He missed some golden chances.
Free Palestine
GSWFan1994
Head Coach

Post#1232 » by GSWFan1994 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:39 pm

G R E Y wrote:My favourite player is still Zidane, poetry with his feet, but full credit to Messi for his accomplishments, culminating with the lone missing trophy in his last chance to get it.

Incredible story.

If you love Zidane (and I do!), please watch some Didi footage.

Didi was number 8 on Brazil's 1958 and 1962 title team, elected the best player of the 1958 WC.

Inventor of the dry leaf free kick and the 3 toe pass.

He was Pelé's favorite player.

And he played for Real Madrid for a while too, back when there were almost no foreign players in other countries' leagues.

Surefire top 10 all-time brazilian player IMO, hardly remembered by the lists you see around the internet nowadays...

Enjoy!

CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#1233 » by CalamityX12 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:41 pm

Imagine had Argentina finished 2nd in their group

It would've been a France > England > Morocco route to finals

Instead of the opener vs AUSTRALIA

The what ifs
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#1234 » by clyde21 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:42 pm

Zidane is just one of those dudes that's so rare man, loved that guy
GSWFan1994
Head Coach

Post#1235 » by GSWFan1994 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:42 pm

clyde21 wrote:how short is Macron? he looks like 2 feet shorter than that Qatar guy

Macron is taller than Warwick Davis, I'll give you that
GeorgeSears
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,679

Post#1236 » by GeorgeSears » Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:44 pm

GSWFan1994 wrote:
ChumboChappati wrote:
GSWFan1994 wrote:Lots of babies will be born 9 months from now on Argentina... mark my words

do you think Argentina has a better chance to repeat next WC? they have the best young player and best goalie of this WC

Sincerely, I have no idea. I haven't been following futebol quite closely as I did many, many years ago, due to work, family and other hobbies.

But I know one thing: a lot can happen in 4 years. Just to give you 3 examples:

- Back in 1958, Pelé played the WC as a 17 year old. Now go back in time and ask this same question (you did to me) in, let's say... 1956. Nobody could guess that!

- Same for France in 2018. Ask them that in 2014, when Mbappé was 15.

- Same could be happening right now for Brazil. Have you ever heard of Endrick? He was just recently sold from Palmeiras to Real Madrid for $76,5 million.... and he's just 16! Check it out: link 1, link 2.

As much as you can have a strong team, if you have a generational, all-timer talent, that could hugely tip the scales in your favour.

You can bet there's some kid around the world, RIGHT NOW, that is 14/16 years old and is thinking, "what if it was me there in the field?"

My point is: all the usual teams are ALWAYS the favorites (the old 4, Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Italy; the new 2, France and Spain; perhaps you put England in this mix as well).

Then you've got teams with a generational talent, either by a strong all-around roster without an all-timer (like Marrocos now), or a possible all-timer (like Haaland could do with Norway in the future). Or a mix between the 2 (like Belgium, Croatia, Netherlands through the years)

So, in 4 years anything could happen. And you've got to take the injuries into account too.

Ask me in December 2025 then, lol.

There are two teams that will stick out four years down the line: England for sure. They will have the best midfield with Foden, Saka, and Bellingham. Kane may be young enough to have one more run in him, but they'll have Rashford who was solid in this tournament. Granted, they have to stay healthy.

Then, as you mentioned, Brazil will also be a favorite just because of the returning talent plus Endrick.

Portugal looked very dangerous in this tournament. They'll basically have the same team minus Ronaldo and Pepe.

I'm not that bullish on either France or Argentina. They'll be contenders, but not title favorites. France is losing a lot good veteran talent, as is Argentina.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#1237 » by clyde21 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:46 pm

i love how when i search Zico in google first result is some rando South Korean rapper and not the soccer player
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,075

Post#1238 » by Pharmcat » Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:53 pm

Stannis wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:

Yeah, I meant 2 of his 3 goals were PKs.

Considering how amazing the Argentina goalie is against PKs, mbappe should be applauded for scoring
ChumboChappati
Junior
And1: 255

Post#1239 » by ChumboChappati » Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:58 pm

G R E Y wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:
Dirk wrote:

Like... how does the ref watch this stuff and not give him a yellow card on the spot.

Same antics he pulls in qualifier n copa

**** that dbag

But wait! It gets better. By which I mean worse. Expression and pose and dbaggery match.

Read on Twitter

he should be fined and/or suspended for this act by Argentina Football Federation. He has screwed up Messi's party.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach

Post#1240 » by GSWFan1994 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:08 pm

clyde21 wrote:i love how when i search Zico in google first result is some rando South Korean rapper and not the soccer player

Speaking of Zico, coincidentally yesterday I watched this video and couldn't disagree more...

Return to The General Soccer Board