FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 - Semi-Finals & Final

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,636

Re: FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 - Semi-Finals & Final 

Post#1241 » by GSWFan1994 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:12 pm

D'Alessandro live right now on some futebol show here in Brazil, crying, saying he is happy because the argentinean people are suffering a lot and they deserve some happiness... class

Read on Twitter

For those who don't know, Argentina had the 6th best economy in the world in the early 1900s, plus the best PIB per capita in the world at the time... nowadays it has set a 92% inflation rate just in 2022.

That's communism for you, folks.

Edit: the TV presenter tried to put him a bad situation due to what he said... and he doubled down, lol.

That will surely be out in social media in a few minutes...
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,075

Post#1242 » by Pharmcat » Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:12 pm

Stannis wrote:If I had it my way... some things I wished that happened going into the KO stage.

I wish Uruguay advanced over South Korea. I think Uruguay would have given Brazil a better match up.

An Argentina-Brazil Semi Final, which was spoiled by Croatia who ended up just losing 3-0 to Argentina.

Mexico over Poland. Poland was straight up boring AF. At least we know Mexico wouldn't go down without a fight.

When it was 2-0, I really thought it was just destined for a boring finale. And I wished England or Portugal was in France's place. But man, what a surprise. Mbappe woulda had the best WC performance ever if France won. I know it was 2 PK goals, but to score both of them and still nail your 3rd in the shootout is tough if you ask me.

Mexico missed the boat by not selecting chicarito
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,075

Post#1243 » by Pharmcat » Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:21 pm

Deschamps is only 55? Man he has aged so much lol
GSWFan1994
Head Coach

Post#1244 » by GSWFan1994 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:23 pm

GeorgeSears wrote:There are two teams that will stick out four years down the line: England for sure. They will have the best midfield with Foden, Saka, and Bellingham. Kane may be young enough to have one more run in him, but they'll have Rashford who was solid in this tournament. Granted, they have to stay healthy.

Then, as you mentioned, Brazil will also be a favorite just because of the returning talent plus Endrick.

Portugal looked very dangerous in this tournament. They'll basically have the same team minus Ronaldo and Pepe.

I'm not that bullish on either France or Argentina. They'll be contenders, but not title favorites. France is losing a lot good veteran talent, as is Argentina.

Well noted. I'll have to go check these teams' rosters to have a more elaborate opinion.

I followed England closely in this WC and I thought they lacked a true difference maker. Very well above average team, for sure.

Portugal looks to be shaping up to be a very strong team for years to come. I love them (Portugal heritage here).

What I know, above all, is that when the WC time comes, the momentum matters a lot... and how the pieces fit, too.

Not always the team with the best roster, or the best recent retrospect, wins.

We shall see in a couple of years time... this WC was amazing from my point of view, best one since 2002.
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 10,258

Post#1245 » by Stannis » Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:29 pm

Watched the trophy ceremony, and yeah... pretty trashy crap from Martinez lol. Don't see the point of doing that.

France and the host Qatar showed him and Argentina a lot of respect. I don't see a reason for such a spiteful celebration.

I get wanting to get back at Holland after the game because they were playing dirty too and talking trash, but I didn't think there was a place for that kinda stuff in the ceremony tonight.
Free Palestine
AK47MVP
Starter
And1: 1,593

Post#1246 » by AK47MVP » Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:43 pm

Stannis wrote:Can't decide if 2010 South Africa or 2022 Qatar was my favorite World Cup. But they are both in the top 2 for sure!

You should check 1982 and 1986. Still two of the best ones for me. Amount of fantastic games in those was simply crazy. Not sure what you are liking about 2010, one of the worst WC ever in my opinion. Only good thing was Shakira's song. This guy seems to agree with me https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world-cup/story/4790515/ranking-the-world-cups-all-21-editions-from-worst-to-best
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,281

Post#1247 » by clyde21 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:46 pm

Stannis wrote:Watched the trophy ceremony, and yeah... pretty trashy crap from Martinez lol. Don't see the point of doing that.

France and the host Qatar showed him and Argentina a lot of respect. I don't see a reason for such a spiteful celebration.

I get wanting to get back at Holland after the game because they were playing dirty too and talking trash, but I didn't think there was a place for that kinda stuff in the ceremony tonight.

it got so awkard when he did that, even the Argentinian crowd in the stadium was like wtf? lol
Stannis
RealGM

Post#1248 » by Stannis » Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:46 pm

AK47MVP wrote:
Stannis wrote:Can't decide if 2010 South Africa or 2022 Qatar was my favorite World Cup. But they are both in the top 2 for sure!

You should check 1982 and 1986. Still two of the best ones for me. Amount of fantastic games in those was simply crazy. Not sure what you are liking about 2010, one of the worst WC ever in my opinion. Only good thing was Shakira's song. This guy seems to agree with me https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world-cup/story/4790515/ranking-the-world-cups-all-21-editions-from-worst-to-best

Before I was born. I don't think I could sit through watching such old footage now lol.
Free Palestine
GSWFan1994
Head Coach

Post#1249 » by GSWFan1994 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:48 pm

G R E Y wrote:Is that robe they put on Messi a customary footy ritual or a cultural Qatari one? Not sure what that's about. Just curious.

There must be Qatar-related... I've never seen that in a futebol field, lol
Stannis
RealGM

Post#1250 » by Stannis » Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:49 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Stannis wrote:Watched the trophy ceremony, and yeah... pretty trashy crap from Martinez lol. Don't see the point of doing that.

it got so awkard when he did that, even the Argentinian crowd in the stadium was like wtf? lol

Yeah, I was watching this (on replay) with some family members, and told the women to look away lol.
Free Palestine
eagle54
Pro Prospect
And1: 508

Post#1251 » by eagle54 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:53 pm

hard to speak after the game as french but but with hindsight what an historic game. We were nowhere for 80 minutes (and even in 3-2) but we are so close to win this game but objectively congrats to argentina, they deserved it globally in this game in reality because France was tragic 80minutes, very tragic (lots of mistakes, lack of everything in this final, we saw this vs england and Marroco but in final you can'd be so bad).

An epic finish (the kolo muani shot at the end) with a good momentum to finished the game between the 90-95 min. But like 2006 we hated penalties. it was so irrationnal like only football could be.

Congrats to Messi, my only consolation after this lost, he deserved to have this World Awards for his entire career and not be an beautiful loser in WC (but I would prefer argentina won en 2014 vs Germany :( ) but a real champion and legend for eternity (and probably now a semi God in argentina after being very critically for a long time before last year, he has guided his selection for so many years.)

And for France I'm not worried, we have lots of youngs guys and talents for lots of next competitions again. it's not the end (maybe for giroud and lloris ?) 4 WC finals in 25 years ( and euro cup a win and a lost in finale), none country is as regular like us and it's not over. Euro cup 2024 is for us and Deschamps could win his only missing trophy in France coach.
eagle54
Pro Prospect
And1: 508

Post#1252 » by eagle54 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:55 pm

because Holland was so dirty too (like very soon qith them), I don't know if you have seenthe videos of penalties, but dutchman's provoked argentina (dumfries particulary) at every penalty, it was so insane and karma was merciless.
Stannis
RealGM

Post#1253 » by Stannis » Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:14 pm

eagle54 wrote:

because Holland was so dirty too (like very soon qith them), I don't know if you have seenthe videos of penalties, but dutchman's provoked argentina (dumfries particulary) at every penalty, it was so insane and karma was merciless.

Yeah, that's why I said I understand why Argentina celebrated the way they did that day against Holland.

But that Martinez antic with the Gold Glove today was really unnecessary. No matter how you look at it, imo.
Free Palestine
GSWFan1994
Head Coach

Post#1254 » by GSWFan1994 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:18 pm

ForeverTFC wrote:
GSWFan1994 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:congrats to Messi, pretty much cemented as GOAT at this point.

we aint gonna see another one like him in a while

GOAT argentinean player? Perhaps

:dontknow:

If he's the GOAT Argentinian then that also makes him the GOAT, given the consensus GOAT is another Argentinian.

"Consensus GOAT", lol...

Let's sit and wait for the day when Pelé dies arrives... you'll never see a day like this in your lifetime, I promise.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach

Post#1255 » by GSWFan1994 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:28 pm

Baphomet wrote:
Pharmcat wrote:Just want to say it was nice chatting in here ,
Till the Euros :) friends

You're always welcome here, Pharm. Everyone else too.

This place is a fair bit harder to moderate with so many new voices but if people decide to stick around, we have some pretty lively discussion during the club season too. Mostly me going nuts when Spurs lose and vacillating between Conte being the truth and being a clown who should leave immediately.

I quite enjoyed my time here as well... both of you are class acts.

I haven't paid attention to this side of the forums, I hardly knew people posted here... I'm make sure to appear more often in this space.

Cheers.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 33,336

Post#1256 » by G R E Y » Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:44 pm

:lol:

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,281

Post#1257 » by clyde21 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:02 pm

insane

Read on Twitter
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 33,336

Post#1258 » by G R E Y » Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:03 pm

GSWFan1994 wrote:
G R E Y wrote:My favourite player is still Zidane, poetry with his feet, but full credit to Messi for his accomplishments, culminating with the lone missing trophy in his last chance to get it.

Incredible story.

If you love Zidane (and I do!), please watch some Didi footage.

Didi was number 8 on Brazil's 1958 and 1962 title team, elected the best player of the 1958 WC.

Inventor of the dry leaf free kick and the 3 toe pass.

He was Pelé's favorite player.

And he played for Real Madrid for a while too, back when there were almost no foreign players in other countries' leagues.

Surefire top 10 all-time brazilian player IMO, hardly remembered by the lists you see around the internet nowadays...

Enjoy!

:o

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
GeorgeSears
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,684

Post#1259 » by GeorgeSears » Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:17 pm

Post your team of the tournament:

Forwards: Messi, J Alvarez, Mbappe

Midfielders: Bruno Fernandes, Saka, Griezmann

Defenders: Gvardiol, Hakimi, Saiss, Hernandez

Goalkeeper: Livakovic

It was tough to leave out Modric and Amrabat
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 41,265

Post#1260 » by Sedale Threatt » Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:18 pm

G R E Y wrote:
GSWFan1994 wrote:
G R E Y wrote:My favourite player is still Zidane, poetry with his feet, but full credit to Messi for his accomplishments, culminating with the lone missing trophy in his last chance to get it.

Incredible story.

If you love Zidane (and I do!), please watch some Didi footage.

Didi was number 8 on Brazil's 1958 and 1962 title team, elected the best player of the 1958 WC.

Inventor of the dry leaf free kick and the 3 toe pass.

He was Pelé's favorite player.

And he played for Real Madrid for a while too, back when there were almost no foreign players in other countries' leagues.

Surefire top 10 all-time brazilian player IMO, hardly remembered by the lists you see around the internet nowadays...

Enjoy!

:o

Read on Twitter

There's an awesome anecdote from Messi's youth days where one of his coaches promised him some cookies if he scored a goal with his head, which he had never done. So the next game he dribbles through the entire defense, fakes out the keeper, dribbles to the goal line, pops the ball up and taps it in with his forehead. No idea if that's apocryphal or not, but it sounds great.

Return to The General Soccer Board