2022-23 UEFA Europa League/Europa Conference League Discussion Thread

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Re: 2022-23 UEFA Europa League/Europa Conference League Discussion Thread 

Post#81 » by HIF » Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:46 am

SgtPepper wrote:^^Alonso doesn't play in la liga, whereas in the CL Xavi played him as a cb ahead of 3 better players in the squad in the first leg. He also started Sergi Roberto who has somehow held a place in the squad despite being the worst player in it for 3+ years.

Man U's victory is impressive in that Barca has formidable players, but I don't think their defeat signifies much other than the mediocrity of Xavi as tactician compared to Ten Hag.

How can you call it impressive. Barcelona have been terrible for a couple of years. This is now consecutive years that they have failed to make the knockouts in the CL and then fallen badly at the lower level. They are simply fortunate that the spanish league is so limp. If they were in the premier league they'd be in a relegation spot just now.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
SgtPepper
Junior
And1: 145

Post#82 » by SgtPepper » Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:30 pm

Don't delude yourself. The EPL spends 3x over la liga yet has the worst continental title record over the last 13 years at both league and international level compared to Spain and Germany. The fact that most of the UEL's were sweeps by Sevilla in the last decade over megaspenders like Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool speak to the incompetence of your league. And in the adult's division the la liga clubs won most of the UCL's in the last decade. Where are those EPL title favorites among the performers in the continental competition? They are more likely than international rivals to actually be in a relegation scrap the following season (hi Man U and Chelsea fans). It is always impressive when Man U actually lives up to potential because for the better part of a decade they were nowhere close. And of course it's impressive because Barca has players like Lewandowski who are much better than players at any EPL club aside from City.

Oh and Atleti's achievements overshadow Leicester's title season because a team poorer than Newcastle won multiple la ligas and made multiple UCL finals. How is the fan experience with the best British coach in charge?
HIF
RealGM

Post#83 » by HIF » Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:16 pm

SgtPepper wrote:Don't delude yourself. The EPL spends 3x over la liga yet has the worst continental title record over the last 13 years at both league and international level compared to Spain and Germany. The fact that most of the UEL's were sweeps by Sevilla in the last decade over megaspenders like Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool speak to the incompetence of your league. And in the adult's division the la liga clubs won most of the UCL's in the last decade. Where are those EPL title favorites among the performers in the continental competition? They are more likely than international rivals to actually be in a relegation scrap the following season (hi Man U and Chelsea fans). It is always impressive when Man U actually lives up to potential because for the better part of a decade they were nowhere close. And of course it's impressive because Barca has players like Lewandowski who are much better than players at any EPL club aside from City.

Oh and Atleti's achievements overshadow Leicester's title season because a team poorer than Newcastle won multiple la ligas and made multiple UCL finals. How is the fan experience with the best British coach in charge?

You must be a capitalist as everything in your life revolves around money.

The EPL spend has nothing to do with the fact that the depth of talent in the EPL goes from top to bottom and in spain you have just a couple of teams with the talent.If anything the EPL spend helps Spain and others because they are the countries where the teams are ripping off EPL teams for average talent that they would never spend that amount on themselves.

The reason EPL teams don't further dominate european competitions is 3-fold. Firstly the priority of an EPL team is to win the Prem league where every game is a tough game and every opposition can beat you on a given day even if you put out your best team. secondly, other euroepean league teams can rest their players regularly during the season and focus on the European matches, RM,Barca,Bayern,PSG only have a few tough league matches in the year. Thirdly the speed, ferocity and number of matches played by EPL teams means that players are injured more often and play injured and tired more often, most of the euorpean leagues are pedestrian and played by farmers.

You are deluded if you think that more than a handful of spanish teams would survive in the premier league. Most of La Liga teams couldn't even stay up in the championship.

And your comment about Athletico Madrid - the third biggest club in Spain who have won the title 11 times, the cup 10 times and at least 4 European titles is derisible and makes you seem more of a clown than you are already viewed. UEFA rank them as the no.11 club in Europe. Fool.

HIF
RealGM

Post#84 » by HIF » Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:21 pm

Real Madrid, one of those poor Spanish clubs that pepper loves, had 714m revenue in 21/22. atletico had 393m. Stop talking ****. your league is lop-sided and weak but I'm sure you're happy with that as you support one of the big (and only) 3.

Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,363

Post#85 » by Shaazzam » Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:23 pm

HIF wrote:
Baphomet wrote:7 goals conceded in 22 La Liga games
5 goals conceded in 2 matches against Man United

You have to have United as favourites in this competition, along with Arsenal.

So the third biggest club in the world and Arsenal are favourites to win the second tier level European competition. That's surprising. Soon we'll be celebrating that they made it into the final 32 of said competition.

How the mighty have fallen.

And Barcelona hahahahahahahahahaha

Can only win the games you play. :) We've fallen quite a long ways in the last decade. Hopefully are beginning the ascent back to the top of the mountain.
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,661

Post#86 » by Baphomet » Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:02 pm

HIF wrote:
Baphomet wrote:7 goals conceded in 22 La Liga games
4 goals conceded in 2 matches against Man United

You have to have United as favourites in this competition, along with Arsenal.

So the third biggest club in the world and Arsenal are favourites to win the second tier level European competition. That's surprising. Soon we'll be celebrating that they made it into the final 32 of said competition.

How the mighty have fallen.

And Barcelona hahahahahahahahahaha

Well I didn't say anything that was untrue, normally I'd be hesitant to anoint United and Arsenal to do anything in recent years given how far they've both fallen, but it's clear both teams have improved a lot and should make pretty easy work of this competition. After watching Spurs struggle to pass the ball past the halfway line all season, it's also nice to watch two good attacking teams going at it every now and then, and this United vs. Barca tie was as good as its billing.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#87 » by Baphomet » Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:12 pm

Europa League R16 draw:

Union Berlin v Union Saint-Gilloise
Sevilla v Fenerbahce
Juventus v Freiburg
Bayer Leverkusen v Ferencvaros
Sporting Lisbon v Arsenal
Manchester United v Real Betis
Roma v Real Sociedad
Shakhtar Donetsk v Feyenoord
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,459

Post#88 » by Baseline81 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:39 pm

SgtPepper wrote:Don't delude yourself. The EPL spends 3x over la liga yet has the worst continental title record over the last 13 years at both league and international level compared to Spain and Germany. The fact that most of the UEL's were sweeps by Sevilla in the last decade over megaspenders like Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool speak to the incompetence of your league. And in the adult's division the la liga clubs won most of the UCL's in the last decade. Where are those EPL title favorites among the performers in the continental competition? They are more likely than international rivals to actually be in a relegation scrap the following season (hi Man U and Chelsea fans). It is always impressive when Man U actually lives up to potential because for the better part of a decade they were nowhere close. And of course it's impressive because Barca has players like Lewandowski who are much better than players at any EPL club aside from City.

No, Liverpool do not belong in this conversation.

Here's the starting XI against Sevilla.

- Mignolet in goal
- Clyne (RB) and Moreno (LB)
- Lovren and Toure in central defense
- Milner and Can in midfield
- Lallana and Coutinho as wings
- Firmino and Sturridge up front

One can say Liverpool became a "megaspender" only after the sale of Coutinho -- bringing in van Dijk and Alisson.
SgtPepper
Junior
And1: 145

Post#89 » by SgtPepper » Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:10 pm

Compared to Europe and especially the Europa league class teams Liverpool is a megaspender. Compared to the EPL they are not.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,488

2022-23 UEFA Europa League/Europa Conference League Discussion Thread 

Post#90 » by Foye » Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:03 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=NPSxzHI0TqwFE1FBDSh0oQ

Incredible run by St. Juste.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#91 » by Baphomet » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:58 pm

Arsenal are out. Pedro Goncalves scores one of the best EL goals of all time to equalise on aggregate, then Sporting win on penalties. Very enjoyable two legs though, to be fair, good spectacle. I knew they'd give Arsenal problems, they were a tough nut to crack when we played them in the CL, and Ruben Amorim seems like an accomplished coach.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#92 » by Baphomet » Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:02 pm

Love Martin Keown saying that the penalty shootout was season defining for Arsenal and a must win.

Then when they lost it's suddenly a blessing in disguise and they can focus on the league. :lol:
MaliBrah
RealGM
And1: 4,372

Post#93 » by MaliBrah » Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:20 pm

Well done to sporting they were terrific today man , we really suck in Europe man lol. Need to fix up and have a good showing next year.
HIF
RealGM

Post#94 » by HIF » Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:53 am

Not even making the last 8 is poor. Now it's a matter of concentrating on the league title.

fbalmeida
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,894

Post#95 » by fbalmeida » Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:45 pm

That is really an incredible goal from Pedro Gonçalves, aka, Pote.

https://dubz.co/video/1ed09b
"The Raptors will be fine." - Masai Ujiri, March 26th, 2021
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,363

Post#96 » by Shaazzam » Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:07 pm

Lol this is turning into Man U v. Spanish league
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,181

Post#97 » by magik9113 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:23 pm

MaliBrah wrote:Well done to sporting they were terrific today man , we really suck in Europe man lol. Need to fix up and have a good showing next year.

I feel it's for the best for yall to just focus on securing that EPL title. I have lots of money riding on that :D
magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#98 » by magik9113 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:26 pm

MaliBrah
RealGM
And1: 4,372

Post#99 » by MaliBrah » Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:51 pm

magik9113 wrote:
MaliBrah wrote:Well done to sporting they were terrific today man , we really suck in Europe man lol. Need to fix up and have a good showing next year.

I feel it's for the best for yall to just focus on securing that EPL title. I have lots of money riding on that :D

you and I both, I got my heart and life :lol: and an amazing futures ticket on the line.
magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#100 » by magik9113 » Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:02 pm

Juve barely squeeze by Sporting with a 1-0 win. Perin came up HUGE with a double save in stoppage time for Juve.

United blew a 2-0 lead after two own goals last ten mins of the game…wow

Roma lose 1-0 to feyenoord. Dybala off injured in the first half and Pellegrini missed a pk. Likely the end of Roma if Dybala can’t play next week

Return to The General Soccer Board