OT: Atleast 127 killed after riot at football match

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

One Last Shot
Starter
And1: 2,954

OT: Atleast 127 killed after riot at football match 

Post#1 » by One Last Shot » Sun Oct 2, 2022 12:07 am

This is one of the most devastating event and 2nd most casualties in sports history. I just found out that in 1964, same thing happen in Peru with more than 300 killed. Same sports. Maybe football fans are really passionate about the game.

www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/breaking-indonesia-fans-dead-riot-28132714.amp
TheLand13
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,533

Re: OT: Atleast 127 killed after riot at football match 

Post#2 » by TheLand13 » Sun Oct 2, 2022 12:18 am

The ****?
Nate505
RealGM
And1: 11,996

Post#3 » by Nate505 » Sun Oct 2, 2022 12:27 am

Yikes.

Like even in terms of sports violence, this seems like something else was at play. Was everyone trampled to death, or was the gas the police fired that bad?
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,403

Post#4 » by JDR720 » Sun Oct 2, 2022 12:29 am

Indonesia soccer culture is nuts. Supporter groups regularly attack each other.

;themeRefresh=1
Pelon chingon
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,185

Post#5 » by Pelon chingon » Sun Oct 2, 2022 12:31 am

What the fudge! That's freakin tragic and a terrible way to go.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,302

Post#6 » by Nuntius » Sun Oct 2, 2022 12:32 am

So, based on the article in the OP (and obviously assuming that their reporting is accurate) this is what happened:

- Fans of the home team stormed the pitch after their team lost.

- The police pushed them back into the stands, hitting some with their batons and kicking others.

- Tear gas was launched on the pitch and into the stands as the situation escalated.

- Fans struggled to find refuge and many have subsequently lost their lives after falling to the ground or being trampled on.

- Local media outlet Kompas claims the tear gas did not disperse, leading to shortness of breath and loss of consciousness.

Based on all that, this was not a situation were fans of opposing teams came to blows. This looks to be between and the fans and the police and, sadly, it seems that the police escalated that situation by throwing tear gas into the stands. Doing that is incredibly dangerous. The stands are not a flat surface. If you cannot see due to the tear gas then you can easily trip, fall and get crushed. It also causes panic and panic in such an environment can easily cause stampedes. We have seen that happen in the past in similar events in stadiums (the Karaiskakis Stadium disaster always come to mind when I read about stuff like that but that's definitely because I'm Greek and I grew up hearing about that particular tragedy).

The fact that the tear gas did not disperse could mean that they were expired. I have seen police forces use expired tear gas pretty often in my neck of the woods so it wouldn't shock me if that was the case here. This seems like an extremely sad situation that could have been avoided. I hope that the families of the victims are able to find peace. Rest in peace :(
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,486

Post#7 » by Blame Rasho » Sun Oct 2, 2022 12:34 am

I love soccer but honestly Indonesia has never been on my radar as a football crazy country. I had to check their ranking and they are ranked 155 in fifa which is absurd given how big that country is. Most people know have a grasp of how big that country is.
axeman23
Analyst
And1: 3,151

Post#8 » by axeman23 » Sun Oct 2, 2022 12:44 am

Nate505 wrote:Yikes.

Like even in terms of sports violence, this seems like something else was at play. Was everyone trampled to death, or was the gas the police fired that bad?

Yeah, seems a little short on detail, even after reading the article. From the headline i was thinking a bunch of people must've been shot/stabbed/murdered in another way. But it SOUNDS like: fans of the losing team stormed the pitch; police responded; it got out of hand and teargas was deployed; then maybe a stampede is responsible for most of the deaths? Tragic no matter which way you look at it, ESPECIALLY with children involved! Also agree the hostility must have been about more than a football game... :brokenheart:
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Nuntius » Sun Oct 2, 2022 12:47 am

Blame Rasho wrote:I love soccer but honestly Indonesia has never been on my radar as a football crazy country. I had to check their ranking and they are ranked 155 in fifa which is absurd given how big that country is. Most people know have a grasp of how big that country is.

It is an absolutely massive country. It is the 14th biggest country by land area (bigger than Iran, South Africa, Nigeria, Egypt and Pakistan, almost as big as Turkey, France and Spain combined) and the 4th most populous country in the world (behind China, India and the US). It spans almost the entire area from the Malay Peninsula to Australia. It is also an incredibly diverse country, especially linguistically.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 49,230

Post#10 » by Johnny Bball » Sun Oct 2, 2022 12:59 am

Nuntius wrote:
Blame Rasho wrote:I love soccer but honestly Indonesia has never been on my radar as a football crazy country. I had to check their ranking and they are ranked 155 in fifa which is absurd given how big that country is. Most people know have a grasp of how big that country is.

It is an absolutely massive country. It is the 14th biggest country by land area (bigger than Iran, South Africa, Nigeria, Egypt and Pakistan, almost as big as Turkey, France and Spain combined) and the 4th most populous country in the world (behind China, India and the US). It spans almost the entire area from the Malay Peninsula to Australia. It is also an incredibly diverse country, especially linguistically.

Corruption is rife across Indonesia in every facet of life. The government wrongfully imprisoned an old acquaintance of mine for years and I would not set foot there. People do not understand the place and think it's just wild fun and spring break in Bali and don't understand what the dangers are.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Nuntius » Sun Oct 2, 2022 1:03 am

Johnny Bball wrote:
Nuntius wrote:

Corruption is rife across Indonesia in every facet of life. The government wrongfully imprisoned an old acquaintance of mine for years and I would not set foot there. People do not understand the place and think it's just wild fun and spring break in Bali and don't understand what the dangers are.

Yeah, that wouldn't shock me at all. I don't know about Indonesia's internal affairs to make any kind of determination on how widespread corruption is over there but I do generally assume that every country suffers a lot from it.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,486

Post#12 » by Blame Rasho » Sun Oct 2, 2022 1:32 am

Most people “don’t know” how big of a country Indonesia is.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Nuntius » Sun Oct 2, 2022 1:34 am

Blame Rasho wrote:Most people “don’t know” how big of a country Indonesia is.

Yeah, I got that. I was just expanding on that part of the post.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
BlackThought
Sixth Man
And1: 1,575

Post#14 » by BlackThought » Sun Oct 2, 2022 1:43 am

From what I read those deaths have less to do with the riot (as in people fighting each other) but rather due to chaos after the police fired tear gas.

Large gatherings are dangerous especially in places that aren't properly designed to handle such crowds.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by Nuntius » Sun Oct 2, 2022 1:48 am

BlackThought wrote:From what I read those deaths have less to do with the riot (as in people fighting each other) but rather due to chaos after the police fired tear gas.

Yep. There was some fighting between fans and the police (but no fighting between fans since fans of the visiting team weren't allowed in the stadium, only fans of the home team were there) but it does look like the majority of the deaths were the result of the police firing tear gas into the stands and causing panic.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
Nate505
RealGM
And1: 11,996

Post#16 » by Nate505 » Sun Oct 2, 2022 1:48 am

So according to the police in Indonesia, it was due to people getting trampled to death, presumably to escape the tear gas.

I cannot stress enough how idiotic it is to launch tear gas into a crowd that has very few escape routes. That is such law enforcement malpractice that the cops are either sadistic, or more likely, untrained and extremely scared to the point where they felt it was the only option they had.

The morons who ran onto the field shouldn't be getting any passes here either. Stay the **** in the stands.

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/127-soccer-fans-police-killed-indonesias-soccer-match-90848411
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Nuntius » Sun Oct 2, 2022 2:00 am

Nate505 wrote:I cannot stress enough how idiotic it is to launch tear gas into a crowd that has very few escape routes. That is such law enforcement malpractice that the cops are either sadistic, or more likely, untrained and extremely scared to the point where they felt it was the only option they had.

100%. This should be obvious to everyone. Once the police threw tear gas into the stands, the only possible outcome was tragedy.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,972

Post#18 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Oct 2, 2022 2:29 am

One Last Shot wrote:This is one of the most devastating event and 2nd most casualties in sports history. I just found out that in 1964, same thing happen in Peru with more than 300 killed. Same sports. Maybe football fans are really passionate about the game.

www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/breaking-indonesia-fans-dead-riot-28132714.amp

Nothing like this has ever happened at an American "Football" game.
IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Post#19 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Sun Oct 2, 2022 2:55 am

Johnny Bball wrote:
Nuntius wrote:

THIS. Indo has epic waves, but tragically the government is about as stable a rock-balanced or stone-stacked structure. Totally sketchy and volatile af. Also one of the most beautiful countries in the world tho
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
nfmos
Veteran
And1: 3,540

Post#20 » by nfmos » Sun Oct 2, 2022 2:57 am

Even though it definitely sounds like this situation is due to the police actions, people should really look at that video that was posted above regarding violence in that league. There had been multiple occasions of fans violence and deaths over the years in that league, and many of the fans would try to prevent news cameras from seeing what what really going on because they were worried that the league would be shut down. I wouldnt doubt that some witnesses might be trying to put their own spin on the deaths to point the blame directly at the police, but overall its a complete mess.

Return to The General Soccer Board