Back Alley brawl: Zion vs McGregor who wins?

Moderator: lilfishi22

Who wins the fight? Zion or McGregor

Zion in KO
25%
McGregor in KO
75%

Total votes: 658

M4P
Analyst
And1: 1,640

Re: Back Alley brawl: Zion vs McGregor who wins? 

Post#1001 » by M4P » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:26 am

Pg81 wrote:
M4P wrote:
Pg81 wrote:
So does massively superior skill. :roll:

No. :crazy:
I seriously doubt whether or not you've ever been in a physical altercation in your life. Martial arts and combat sports in general heavily favor the larger, more athletic individual. There are examples of this in grappling and striking specific federations. People want to fantasize about Bruce Lee types being able to take on goliaths, but reality is much different.

I seriously doubt that you have even remotely an inkling of a clue how much experience and skill matters in any environment. :roll:

Lol? Let's hear it then. Do you even train? There's a reason why guys like Ngannou, early Jones, and Nick Rodriguez dominate without much time on the mats. Athleticism matters. Size matters. A blue belt Zion is ragdolling most black belt hobbyist bjj players and would wreck most amateur mma competitors at his weight. Conor at 5'9, 180 is getting taken out by a blue belt Zion.
HoopsMalone wrote:Shaq would still have value... But to think he'd be anywhere near as dominant as he was in the post era is just ridiculous

jahlil okafor has some of the best post moves in the last 30 years and the dude can't even get on the floor
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,815

Post#1002 » by HeartBreakKid » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:56 am

M4P wrote:
Pg81 wrote:
M4P wrote:I seriously doubt whether or not you've ever been in a physical altercation in your life. Martial arts and combat sports in general heavily favor the larger, more athletic individual. There are examples of this in grappling and striking specific federations. People want to fantasize about Bruce Lee types being able to take on goliaths, but reality is much different.

I seriously doubt that you have even remotely an inkling of a clue how much experience and skill matters in any environment. :roll:

Lol? Let's hear it then. Do you even train? There's a reason why guys like Ngannou, early Jones, and Nick Rodriguez dominate without much time on the mats. Athleticism matters. Size matters. A blue belt Zion is ragdolling most black belt hobbyist bjj players and would wreck most amateur mma competitors at his weight. Conor at 5'9, 180 is getting taken out by a blue belt Zion.

That's great but Zion Williams doesn't have a blue belt. You're saying that if Zion Williams knew how to fight he could beat a fighter...but he doesn't know how to fight. Blue belt these days takes like two years to get at a good school, not exactly something you can learn overnight. A year at best if his sensei isn't a stiffler about promotions and he trains a ton a week.

As for your example - Ngannou doesn't dominate people on the floor and has never been a good jiu jitsu guy. Unless if you meant by mat you did not mean grappling, in which case Ngannou had a boxing background before he transferred over into MMA, and actually he lost very early in his career simply because he lacked experience.

Jon Jones and Nick Rodriguez had wrestling backgrounds before crossing over into MMA and Sub Wrestling. Several years of wrestling is essentially a high level belt in a martial art.

Zion Williams has a few basketball games in the NCAA and NBA. Not exactly comparable. Yes, if Zion had two years of training he'd be pretty good, but you're still underestimating how long it takes for guys to get good at fighting. There are pro NFL players who have decent careers in MMA but only really become decent after they had a few years and their reputation protected by good booking. Even then none of them have ever been that close to dominant or a serious contender.
M4P
Analyst

Post#1003 » by M4P » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:16 am

HeartBreakKid wrote:
M4P wrote:
Pg81 wrote:

That's great but Zion Williams doesn't have a blue belt. You're saying that if Zion Williams knew how to fight he could beat a fighter...but he doesn't know how to fight. Blue belt these days takes like two years to get at a good school, not exactly something you can learn overnight. A year at best if his sensei isn't a stiffler about promotions and he trains a ton a week.

As for your example - Ngannou doesn't dominate people on the floor and has never been a good jiu jitsu guy. Unless if you meant by mat you did not mean grappling, in which case Ngannou had a boxing background before he transferred over into MMA, and actually he lost very early in his career simply because he lacked experience.

Jon Jones and Nick Rodriguez had wrestling backgrounds before crossing over into MMA and Sub Wrestling. Several years of wrestling is essentially a high level belt in a martial art.

Zion Williams has a few basketball games in the NCAA and NBA. Not exactly comparable. Yes, if Zion had two years of training he'd be pretty good, but you're still underestimating how long it takes for guys to get good at fighting. There are pro NFL players who have decent careers in MMA but only really become decent after they had a few years and their reputation protected by good booking. Even then none of them have ever been that close to dominant or a serious contender.
In this hypothetical of hypotheticals occurring within a vacuum, I have already conceded that if a fight were to occur right now Conor would win pretty easily.

With that being said, I then made the point that if Zion committed, full-time, to a mma specific grappling art for a few months (ie obtain a blue belt under the assumption he is training full-time), he would pretty handily smash Conor. Ngannou and Jones were both incredibly raw during their first few fights. Jones was never the most technically elite wrestler in the UFC, but it did not matter because of his raw talent and athleticism. There is a reason why he's the GOAT and not DC. Ngannou is still incredibly raw and not at all technical, but is able to get away with it because of his power. "Mat time" is not specific to grappling, but refers to time refining a skillset. BJJ and wrestling aren't the only martial arts that involve mats.

Too many people here don't seem to understand the size, athleticism, and overall strength difference between Conor and Zion. A blue belt Zion (something that can absolutely be achieved within or under a year if training full-time) fighting Conor would be similar to Grace Gundrum grappling with pre ADCC trials Nick Rodriguez. It doesn't matter if you are a prodigy -- size and athleticism plays a HUGE role in combat sports.
HoopsMalone wrote:Shaq would still have value... But to think he'd be anywhere near as dominant as he was in the post era is just ridiculous

jahlil okafor has some of the best post moves in the last 30 years and the dude can't even get on the floor
Pg81
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,661

Post#1004 » by Pg81 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:37 am

M4P wrote:
Pg81 wrote:
M4P wrote:I seriously doubt whether or not you've ever been in a physical altercation in your life. Martial arts and combat sports in general heavily favor the larger, more athletic individual. There are examples of this in grappling and striking specific federations. People want to fantasize about Bruce Lee types being able to take on goliaths, but reality is much different.

Do you even read your own posts? You proclaimed that Zion with only a couple of months, or in other words 2 months training, would destroy McGregor. Now you say he would destroy hobbyists and amateurs with something like 1-2 years training. You are so inconsistent in your arguments that it is not even funny. McGregor has HUGE amount of experience and skill compared to Zion. Even if Zion trains for a couple of years he won`t win easily. Hell he might not even have that much talent for combat sports. Your original post was about silly as me proclaiming that any 7 footer aged 20/21 with two months training could compete in the NBA against any of the top 15 players in the league. The notion is so absurd it is not even funny. What is more this hypothetical does not even have rules. You know why combat sports have rules? So they do not kill each other.
Does weight class matter? Of course AMONG PROFESSIONALS!
If you're asking me who the Mavs best player is, I'd say Luka. A guy like Delon Wright probably rivals his impact though at this stage in his career. KP may as well if he gets his **** together.
GeorgeMarcus, 17/11/2019
M4P
Analyst

Post#1005 » by M4P » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:42 am

Pg81 wrote:
M4P wrote:
Pg81 wrote:

Do you even read your own posts? You proclaimed that Zion with only a couple of months, or in other words 2 months training, would destroy McGregor. Now you say he would destroy hobbyists and amateurs with something like 1-2 years training. You are so inconsistent in your arguments that it is not even funny. McGregor has HUGE amount of experience and skill compared to Zion. Even if Zion trains for a couple of years he won`t win easily. Hell he might not even have that much talent for combat sports. Your original post was about silly as me proclaiming that any 7 footer aged 20/21 with two months training could compete in the NBA against any of the top 15 players in the league. The notion is so absurd it is not even funny. What is more this hypothetical does not even have rules. You know why combat sports have rules? So they do not kill each other.
So you don't even train, read any of my previous posts, or have any actual experience in combat sports. Got it, next.

benjamink15
Pro Prospect
And1: 903

Post#1006 » by benjamink15 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:10 pm

M4P wrote:
Pg81 wrote:
M4P wrote:Lol? Let's hear it then. Do you even train? There's a reason why guys like Ngannou, early Jones, and Nick Rodriguez dominate without much time on the mats. Athleticism matters. Size matters. A blue belt Zion is ragdolling most black belt hobbyist bjj players and would wreck most amateur mma competitors at his weight. Conor at 5'9, 180 is getting taken out by a blue belt Zion.

So you don't even train, read any of my previous posts, or have any actual experience in combat sports. Got it, next.

But why do you guys assume Zion has absolutely zero combat training? You know a lot of NBA and NFL athletes take boxing and other martial arts for coordination right? Just because no one wrote an article on it yet doesn't mean he's just a big pussy who walks around dribbling a basketball and lifting weights.
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,879

Post#1007 » by Peregrine01 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:09 pm

Ryoga Hibiki wrote:

Nice video. Shaq clearly has grappling training.

Humans pick up grappling a lot easier than striking and grappling also doesn't involve getting hit in the face so I don't think this video answers this thread's question.
pesfan321
Sophomore
And1: 100

Post#1008 » by pesfan321 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:27 pm

BenoUdrihFTL wrote:Stefan Struve would destroy Trae Young in a game of 1on1 because Struve is 7 feet tall

Am I doing it right?

More like 6'10.5''.
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM
And1: 6,630

Post#1009 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:27 pm

Peregrine01 wrote:
Ryoga Hibiki wrote:

Humans pick up grappling a lot easier than striking and grappling also doesn't involve getting hit in the face so I don't think this video answers this thread's question.

Just saying that Zion wouldn't need that much training to be competitive.
Shaq was big enough to submit those guys while in their guard, same would be with Zion.
Слава Украине!
BmanInBigD
Sixth Man
And1: 630

Post#1010 » by BmanInBigD » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:49 pm

^^^That might work if they started on their knees and there was no punching or kicking allowed, only grappling. I doubt Conor would allow the fight to be started on knees.
When someone says, "to make a long story short", it's usually too late.
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#1011 » by Danny1616 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:22 pm

I really don't get what people are arguing.

Zion would need at least 1-2 years of consistent training to have a chance. No he's not going to be able to do that in 5 months of training, not going to happen.
Danny1616
General Manager

Post#1012 » by Danny1616 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:25 pm

benjamink15 wrote:
M4P wrote:
Pg81 wrote:

But why do you guys assume Zion has absolutely zero combat training? You know a lot of NBA and NFL athletes take boxing and other martial arts for coordination right? Just because no one wrote an article on it yet doesn't mean he's just a big pussy who walks around dribbling a basketball and lifting weights.

Training boxing for conditioning is different from developing the fundamentals of striking that can translate to an actual fight...
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,879

Post#1013 » by Peregrine01 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:50 pm

Ryoga Hibiki wrote:
Peregrine01 wrote:
Ryoga Hibiki wrote:

Just saying that Zion wouldn't need that much training to be competitive.
Shaq was big enough to submit those guys while in their guard, same would be with Zion.

Yeah but that's grappling where these guys start off on the mat and none of those guys are professional fighters. This thread is talking about a street fight. I'm sorry, I'm not taking a guy no matter how big he is with no fight experience against a professional fighter.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,129

Post#1014 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:56 pm

M4P wrote:Conor would win against a completely untrained Zion (right now). If Zion spent a couple of months learning basic wrestling takedowns and defense however, he would easily smash Conor.

Greg Hardy is basically a smaller Zion and he's doing great for someone that just picked up the sport (MMA).

Hardy hasnt just picked up the sport, he has been training full time for 4 years now. The only wins he has are against complete tomato cans. The two actual fighters he has fought, Volkov picked him apart for 5 rounds and then his last fight Tybura (who wasnt even ranked when they fought) destroyed him in 2 rounds.

Again Hardy after 4 years of full time training just got wrecked by someone who wasn't ranked at the time in the weakest division in the sport. The only reason he is 4-3-1 in the UFC is that he has been handed 6 tomato cans as opponents. Because Dana White thinks Hardy gets him more views with cards on ESPN.
Danny1616
General Manager

Post#1015 » by Danny1616 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:13 pm

M4P wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:
M4P wrote:Lol? Let's hear it then. Do you even train? There's a reason why guys like Ngannou, early Jones, and Nick Rodriguez dominate without much time on the mats. Athleticism matters. Size matters. A blue belt Zion is ragdolling most black belt hobbyist bjj players and would wreck most amateur mma competitors at his weight. Conor at 5'9, 180 is getting taken out by a blue belt Zion.

In this hypothetical of hypotheticals occurring within a vacuum, I have already conceded that if a fight were to occur right now Conor would win pretty easily.

With that being said, I then made the point that if Zion committed, full-time, to a mma specific grappling art for a few months (ie obtain a blue belt under the assumption he is training full-time), he would pretty handily smash Conor. Ngannou and Jones were both incredibly raw during their first few fights. Jones was never the most technically elite wrestler in the UFC, but it did not matter because of his raw talent and athleticism. There is a reason why he's the GOAT and not DC. Ngannou is still incredibly raw and not at all technical, but is able to get away with it because of his power. "Mat time" is not specific to grappling, but refers to time refining a skillset. BJJ and wrestling aren't the only martial arts that involve mats.

Too many people here don't seem to understand the size, athleticism, and overall strength difference between Conor and Zion. A blue belt Zion (something that can absolutely be achieved within or under a year if training full-time) fighting Conor would be similar to Grace Gundrum grappling with pre ADCC trials Nick Rodriguez. It doesn't matter if you are a prodigy -- size and athleticism plays a HUGE role in combat sports.

1) Jon Jones was incredible wrestler prior to the UFC.

In 2006, Jon claimed the 197-pound National Junior College Athletic Association wrestling title, leading Iowa Central Community College to the first of five consecutive team championships.

There is no question Jones could have been one of the best collegiate wrestlers in the country if he chose that route. He beat phenoms like Max Askren (one of the best collegiate wrestlers ever, 3 time NCAA all-American) in College before dropping out and going into MMA. He literally comes from a family of accomplished wrestlers.

As we know, wrestling is the best base to start your MMA career.

So yes, Jones is a gifted athletic freak, but he didn't come without a great wrestling background to the UFC.

2) Ngannou didn't just go straight to the top level of MMA. Ngannou started training for boxing at the age of 22 on and off. At the age of 26 he trained under top boxing coaches in France. He made his MMA debut outside of the UFC at 27 years old. He fought for two years in amateur fighting leagues before getting the call to the UFC at age 29.

So Ngannou, while a physical freak, spent about 5 years of boxing training before even entering the MMA scene, and needed to prove himself in an amateur organization for two years, before getting the call to the UFC.

So this proves the amount of training required. You can't just train a few months and expect to hold your own against top fighters, not going to happen.
jazzed77
Sixth Man
And1: 209

Post#1016 » by jazzed77 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:21 pm

I 100% thought this thread was in response to that OK football player getting worked by the much smaller guy who trains in MMA...
I've got some BJJ training and about 15 years experience in real world experience grappling/fighting/handling uncooperative people. My experience while training was that size/strength are a huge deal in people who have a similar level of training but not nearly as big of an advantage when one person has significantly more training than the other..YMMV
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1017 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:25 pm

Danny1616 wrote:
M4P wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:

Ummm...Jon Jones was incredible wrestler prior to the UFC.

In 2006, Jon claimed the 197-pound National Junior College Athletic Association wrestling title, leading Iowa Central Community College to the first of five consecutive team championships.

There is no question Jones could have been one of the best collegiate wrestlers in the country if he chose that route. He beat phenoms like Max Askren (one of the best collegiate wrestlers ever, 3 time NCAA all-American) in College before dropping out and going into MMA. He literally comes from a family of accomplished wrestlers.

As we know, wrestling is the best base to start your MMA career.

So yes, Jones is a gifted athletic freak, but he didn't come without a great wrestling background to the UFC.

Ya Jon Jones was NY wrestling state champion in high school and like you said JUCO national champion. I mean this is not even stuff that you need to be a hardcore MMA fan to know. Its on his Wikipedia. So it really doesnt take much research to find out Jon Jones was a hell of a wrestler before entering the UFC haha.
raylewis
Sophomore
And1: 50

Post#1018 » by raylewis » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:31 pm

if your name is zion(israel) im sure you have lots of fights done in grade school,high school
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1019 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:38 pm

raylewis wrote:if your name is zion(israel) im sure you have lots of fights done in grade school,high school

Haha ya Im sure at the rough halls of Spartanburg Day Private School the kids were picking fights with Zion left and right...
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,523

Post#1020 » by azcatz11 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:44 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
raylewis wrote:if your name is zion(israel) im sure you have lots of fights done in grade school,high school

Haha ya Im sure at the rough halls of Spartanburg Day Private School the kids were picking fights with Zion left and right...

Don’t you think that Zion would have a shot though if he just bum rushed and tackled Connor and got him on the mat? He could use all of his body on Connor and nail him...

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts