Boxing Thread 5

Moderator: lilfishi22

Butch718
RealGM
And1: 6,888

Re: Boxing Thread 5 

Post#21 » by Butch718 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:29 am

Kambosos caught Teo on a bad night. Teo was arrogant and did not take him seriously. His father also did a poor job working his corner.

If Teo had fought disciplined(the way he fought Loma) instead of being baited into a brawl, he would have beaten Kambosos.

Kambosos is not a top tier fighter. He reminds me of Brandon Rios. Put him in the right matchup, and he’ll entertain. You match him up with an elite
boxer, he’ll be exposed for what he is which is a B level fighter at best.

Also I would love to see Loma against Haney. I think Loma would do a better job closing the distance, creating angles with his feints, hand speed and footwork, and applying sustained pressure to neutralize that jab a bit. That’s a 50/50 fight between two highly skilled fighters.
Butch718
RealGM

Post#22 » by Butch718 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:32 am

Also Inoue is a monster. That feint from the left to set up that right cross is a thing of beauty.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,389

Post#23 » by Papi_swav » Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:50 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:
Knickfan1982 wrote:
cowboyronnie wrote:Agreed.

So explain why the pound-for-pound BEST (and biggest draw, most powerful fighter) fighting someone who literally BESTed him is not the "best fighting the best". Why should boxing fans not want such fights? Namely, fights where the pound-for-pound fighter is fighting people who can beat them?

I'll wait.

You have no response. You're just a babbling contrarian.

Oh I have a response....first of all....have the courage to quote me in your responses. Enough with this just post and hope I don't notice nonsense.

Secondly, I don't have a problem with Canelo fighting Bivol next. So of course I don't have a response to "well why shouldn't Canelo fight the guy who just beat him". He absolutely should fight him next. My point, which you completely missed because you're too busy worrying about protecting Canelo's rep than making a good argument, was that Bivol only got the shot because he didn't look good in his previous two fights. And then I pointed out Canelo's history of taking on guys only after they look less threatening. Your response...Well Canelo is the A side he can do what he wants.

You're not a fan of the sport. You're a fan of Canelo.

Firstly, that's speculation made by someone who is clearly butthurt about getting Canelo wrong (lol @ still whining about Liam Smith).

Second, I'm sure that Canelo and his team *do* consider whether fights are winnable or not. They didn't take on Beterbiev immediately. But so **** what? You want him to just destroy Mungia or Charlo instead? He finishes each in under 6. As long as he's taking on fights that *could go either way*, who isn't happy? Answer this. As a boxing fan, why don't you want literally the best fighting fights they could lose? Which was the case in this last weekend's fight? Why are you whining?

He moved to take on someone who could beat him. Why should he move on to take someone who has an even better chance of beating him (i.e. Beterbiev)? He has no obligation to take on suicide missions. Forget Beterbiev, why not take on Usyk or Fury? Is that being a boxing fan?

Canelo won't finish Charlo in 6. That would be a tough great fight and should be the next fight honestly. That's the fight I really want to see. Not Canelo/GGG part 3. Triple G is old right now
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#24 » by Papi_swav » Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:52 pm

Butch718 wrote:Kambosos caught Teo on a bad night. Teo was arrogant and did not take him seriously. His father also did a poor job working his corner.

If Teo had fought disciplined(the way he fought Loma) instead of being baited into a brawl, he would have beaten Kambosos.

Kambosos is not a top tier fighter. He reminds me of Brandon Rios. Put him in the right matchup, and he’ll entertain. You match him up with an elite

Also I would love to see Loma against Haney. I think Loma would do a better job closing the distance, creating angles with his feints, hand speed and footwork, and applying sustained pressure to neutralize that jab a bit. That’s a 50/50 fight between two highly skilled fighters.

I agree, I still think Loma is the top fighter there, I really wanna see him fight Tank. The thing about Loma is that he starts fighting too late. He could of definitely beat Teo Lopez if he didn't wait to the 7th round to start fighting.
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#25 » by Papi_swav » Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:54 pm

Mungia is an exciting fighter that boxing fans would love bcause he brings that Mexican style fight but he leaves himself way too open. Top level fighters would take full advantage of that.

Edgar Berlanga is a HUGE disappointment! that was a horrible display last night in MSG in front of the Puerto Rican ppl smh
Butch718
RealGM

Post#26 » by Butch718 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:51 pm

I never want to see Berlanga fight ever again.

Like hard pass on his next fight.
Butch718
RealGM

Post#27 » by Butch718 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:54 pm

Papi_swav wrote:
Butch718 wrote:Kambosos caught Teo on a bad night. Teo was arrogant and did not take him seriously. His father also did a poor job working his corner.

I agree, I still think Loma is the top fighter there, I really wanna see him fight Tank. The thing about Loma is that he starts fighting too late. He could of definitely beat Teo Lopez if he didn't wait to the 7th round to start fighting.

Keep in mind Loma was hesitant and started too late because he was leery and respectful of Teo’s power. Also, Teo was just so much bigger than him physically in that fight. Teo also fought very disciplined and stuck to a game plan.
Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,161

Post#28 » by Knickfan1982 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:32 pm

Papi_swav wrote:Mungia is an exciting fighter that boxing fans would love bcause he brings that Mexican style fight but he leaves himself way too open. Top level fighters would take full advantage of that.

Edgar Berlanga is a HUGE disappointment! that was a horrible display last night in MSG in front of the Puerto Rican ppl smh

Berlanga is a major disappointment. He needs to switch out his training team because he hasn't looked good. He's beating guys he's supposed to beat but he doesn't look good. At first I was willing to give him a pass because he only had 16 rounds worth of experience in his first 16 fights. Then he stopped knocking guys out and I was ok with it because he needed those rounds. He needed to deal with guys who didn't fold at the first sign of trouble. And then he had that fight where he hurt his arm but still won. I was like good...he felt some adversity and fought through it. But these last two fights especially.... ughh.. Not only did he not look good but I don't like how he carried himself. Whining about Steve Rolls not standing there and waiting to be hit. Joking about trying to bite his opponent.

He needs to get a new and more experienced team around him. They need to get his head on straight, teach him to set up traps instead of relying on his power and teach him out to tighten his defense. At this point I don't think he's good enough to even turn into this generations Juan Manuel Lopez. At least Lopez won a real belt and beat some real guys.

Mungia is a 40 fight rookie. Him and his team are talking about how Charlo needs to grow some balls but he's the most protected fighter on the planet. 40 fights into his career and his best opponents were Liam Smith and Gabriel Rosado. If Liam Smith had any kind of power he probably would have stopped Munguia. He could have hit Munguia with his eyes closed he was that open to punches. Rosado is a solid guy but other than his robbery defeat to a washed up Daniel Jacobs he has lost to every top guy he ever fought.
Why rely on nuance, facts and logic when you can bludgeon the other side with mindless repetition of "Duuur McDaniel's has potential :tooth and still be treated as if you were reasonable.
Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant

Post#29 » by Knickfan1982 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:34 pm

Papi_swav wrote:Canelo won't finish Charlo in 6. That would be a tough great fight and should be the next fight honestly. That's the fight I really want to see. Not Canelo/GGG part 3. Triple G is old right now

The time for GGG/Canelo 3 was like 4 years ago. There is still a chance that GGG feels reguvinated by not having to cut down to 160 anymore but he is not the same guy he used to be. He's a really lame opponent choice for Canelo at this point.
Why rely on nuance, facts and logic when you can bludgeon the other side with mindless repetition of "Duuur McDaniel's has potential :tooth and still be treated as if you were reasonable.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#30 » by cowboyronnie » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:59 am

Referee could have stopped that Beterbiev fight on the ring walk. Smith Jr still trains with his amateur coach... WHO HAS NEVER HAD ANOTHER FIGHTER, PRO OR AM. LOL. That's just so pigheaded and dumb.

Also, he sucks. One of the most gifted physiques, you'd have to think. His arm span is nuts. But, damn, get real with training.

Meanwhile, Beterbiev is at Canada's Olympic sports centre 3x/week training with a Physiology PhD.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#31 » by cowboyronnie » Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:04 am

The Bivol fight would be nuts. But would Bivol really risk the Canelo re-match? There's just no way.
Butch718
RealGM

Post#32 » by Butch718 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:35 am

Knickfan1982 wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:Canelo won't finish Charlo in 6. That would be a tough great fight and should be the next fight honestly. That's the fight I really want to see. Not Canelo/GGG part 3. Triple G is old right now

The time for GGG/Canelo 3 was like 4 years ago. There is still a chance that GGG feels reguvinated by not having to cut down to 160 anymore but he is not the same guy he used to be. He's a really lame opponent choice for Canelo at this point.

It’s a pure business decision. GGG will make him
more money than anyone else, even at this stage of his career. He also knows that he’ll win without controversy this time around.

Charlos and others will be there waiting for him next year.
Butch718
RealGM

Post#33 » by Butch718 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:39 am

Beterbiev/Bivol is a hell of a fight.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#34 » by cowboyronnie » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:26 pm

Butch718 wrote:
Knickfan1982 wrote:

more money than anyone else, even at this stage of his career. He also knows that he’ll win without controversy this time around.

I don't even know about the money thing. Are casuals excited about this x3 against GGG? It's going to be a strong PPV?

Then again, it's not like anyone outside of NYC/Texas knows Charlo...who hasn't fought a name (a name with under 9 syllables) in 6 years and is coming off exciting wins against...someone named Juan Macias Montiel (a UD lol) and Dennis Hogan and Bryan Adams.

Fight *neither* of these dudes.
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#35 » by Papi_swav » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:07 pm

Butch718 wrote:Beterbiev/Bivol is a hell of a fight.

I would definitely spend money on a ticket to watch that. I really hope they make this fight happen soon and not 3 years from now.
Butch718
RealGM

Post#36 » by Butch718 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:40 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:
Butch718 wrote:
Knickfan1982 wrote:

I don't even know about the money thing. Are casuals excited about this x3 against GGG? It's going to be a strong PPV?

Then again, it's not like anyone outside of NYC/Texas knows Charlo...who hasn't fought a name (a name with under 9 syllables) in 6 years and is coming off exciting wins against...someone named Juan Macias Montiel (a UD lol) and Dennis Hogan and Bryan Adams.

GGG is still a bigger draw than anyone else at 168 or 160. It’s also an easier fight to sell and promote to the general public. That’s easy guaranteed money for Canelo.
Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant

Post#37 » by Knickfan1982 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:48 pm

Butch718 wrote:
Knickfan1982 wrote:

It’s a pure business decision. GGG will make him more money than anyone else, even at this stage of his career. He also knows that he’ll win without controversy this time around.

That's why I don't like the fight. Its 4 years too late. Its not a relevant fight and a pure business move. I hope GGG starches him.
Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant

Post#38 » by Knickfan1982 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:50 pm

Papi_swav wrote:
Butch718 wrote:Beterbiev/Bivol is a hell of a fight.

I would definitely spend money on a ticket to watch that. I really hope they make this fight happen soon and not 3 years from now.

Its gonna take a while. Arum is adament that its not on DAZN (might be like that Mungia vs. Charlo fight that got killed before the finish line). Both guys might have to go to England to take care of mandatories and then if everyone wins Bivol should get his deserved second payday against Canelo the following May. That means there is a fairly decent chance that we won't see Bivol vs. Beterbiev until next fall.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#39 » by cowboyronnie » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:19 am

Butch718 wrote:
cowboyronnie wrote:
Butch718 wrote:

GGG is still a bigger draw than anyone else at 168 or 160. It’s also an easier fight to sell and promote to the general public. That’s easy guaranteed money for Canelo.

I have heard a lot of even just moderate boxing fans bawk at it. And EVERY hardcore fan. *Everyone* who knows boxing hates this. I've seen some big names in the media say they wouldn't even bother watching it (like Shawn Porter).

If you lose every serious boxing fan, a significant number of casuals will follow. This isn't a Jake Paul fight where casuals might independently get into it because of personalities. These are two unbelievably boring dudes (out of the ring) and actual boxing fans do not want to see fight again. I don't think it will do numbers.

A fight against Benevidez would be bigger. Every PPV buyer, hardcore to casual, would get hyped for that. The violence of it would be nuts. Their combined highlights are a hellscape of dudes getting **** crushed.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#40 » by cowboyronnie » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:21 am

I'd take Canelo vs Benevidez over every fight not between Crawford and Spence. I mean, I guess I also want to see Loma vs any top talent too before he ages out.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts