Back Alley brawl: Zion vs McGregor who wins?

Moderator: lilfishi22

Who wins the fight? Zion or McGregor

Zion in KO
25%
McGregor in KO
75%

Total votes: 658

lakerz12
Head Coach
And1: 8,932

Re: Back Alley brawl: Zion vs McGregor who wins? 

Post#61 » by lakerz12 » Sun May 17, 2020 5:14 am

CIN-C-STAR wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:
GreenBloodedC wrote:We had a thread before similar to this. I think it was Pacquiao vs. Shaq (?) forgot the NBA player involved.

But these guys literally fight for a living. There's no chance an athlete not trained for MMA can beat these guys.

That's simply not true.

It may not happen a majority of the time, but an NBA athlete is certainly capable of throwing a punch or knee that knocks out a small fighter like McGregor.

They fight for a living but they are literally tiny and weak compared to an NBA player.

You don't think someone like Westbrook, Ron Artest, Ben Wallace, etc. Could hurt a 5'9" guy?

It only takes 1 punch.

These guys take punches for a living.
Sure, one solid punch would do a lot of damage, but landing that punch is like a 1 in 100 odds, probably less.
Meanwhile, one arm bar would do as much or more damage than that punch, and McGregor's odds of getting Zion in an arm bar are way higher. Fighting through a dislocated elbow is almost impossible.

"These guys" are trained to take punches from guys their size.

There's an exponential difference between a punch from a 150 lb guy and a 250 lb guy. That's the whole premise of the thread. And yes I understand there are many different qualities of punches. But I think an NBA athlete understands weight transfer and balance enough to potentially deliver a strong blow.

Yes, as I already said, it may not happen a majority of the time. But, I was just saying it's possible, which it is. For a large, world class basketball player like Zion to land one punch on a small professional fighter and knock him out.
CIN-C-STAR
General Manager
And1: 16,587

Post#62 » by CIN-C-STAR » Sun May 17, 2020 5:16 am

Capn'O wrote:Remember when people actually gave McGregor a chance against Mayweather in the boxing ring?

So, giving Zion a chance against McGregor in any sort of fight is the folly of that logic x20. He would get creamed.

Yeah this.
The funny thing is Mayweather even teased the fight and let it go on for several rounds before ending it.
That's some crazy control of what's happening when you turn down opportunities to win just to be sportsmanlike.
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
lakerz12
Head Coach

Post#63 » by lakerz12 » Sun May 17, 2020 5:18 am

Capn'O wrote:Remember when people actually gave McGregor a chance against Mayweather in the boxing ring?

So, giving Zion a chance against McGregor in any sort of fight is the folly of that logic x20. He would get creamed.

I'm sorry but that is one of the worst analogies I've ever heard.

You used an example of someone of similar size and strength transitioning to a different skill/activity/sport (from MMA to boxing).

We are talking about a person of extremely overwhelming size/strength facing a much smaller opponent in an unfamiliar activity (basketball to MMA/fighting).

Totally apples to oranges and completely different scenarios.

The entire premise of this question is to what degree size/strength/superior overall athleticism can overwhelm specific skill. Your example of McGregor going to boxing is totally irrelevant.

If you took a much larger and stronger MMA fighter to face Mayweather then you could have a point.

No one is debating that McGregor has the skill/experience advantage just as Mayweather did. People are arguing that Zion's extreme size/strength advantage could compensate for the lack of skill/experience. Your analogy didn't address that at all.
CIN-C-STAR
General Manager

Post#64 » by CIN-C-STAR » Sun May 17, 2020 5:20 am

lakerz12 wrote:
CIN-C-STAR wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:
That's simply not true.

It may not happen a majority of the time, but an NBA athlete is certainly capable of throwing a punch or knee that knocks out a small fighter like McGregor.

They fight for a living but they are literally tiny and weak compared to an NBA player.

You don't think someone like Westbrook, Ron Artest, Ben Wallace, etc. Could hurt a 5'9" guy?

It only takes 1 punch.

Sure, one solid punch would do a lot of damage, but landing that punch is like a 1 in 100 odds, probably less.
Meanwhile, one arm bar would do as much or more damage than that punch, and McGregor's odds of getting Zion in an arm bar are way higher. Fighting through a dislocated elbow is almost impossible.

There's an exponential difference between a punch from a 150 lb guy and a 250 lb guy. That's the whole premise of the thread. And yes I understand there are many different qualities of punches. But I think an NBA athlete understands weight transfer and balance enough to potentially deliver a strong blow.

Yes, as I already said, it may not happen a majority of the time. But, I was just saying it's possible, which it is. For a large, world class basketball player like Zion to land one punch on a small professional fighter and knock him out.

So you think they can only take punches from professional fighters their size, but a bigger amateur would totally mystify them and they wouldn't be able to handle it? :crazy:
Sorry dude you are just wrong. Dodging the brunt of a Zion punch would be way easier than dodging a punch from another professional fighter.
It's like saying Lebron James would lose a one-on-one game against Boban, because Boban is much bigger.
That probably sounds right to someone who doesn't know anything about basketball, but to someone who does it's just asinine.
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
lakerz12
Head Coach

Post#65 » by lakerz12 » Sun May 17, 2020 5:24 am

CIN-C-STAR wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:
CIN-C-STAR wrote:

So you think they can only take punches from professional fighters their size, but a bigger amateur would totally mystify them and they wouldn't be able to handle it? :crazy:
Sorry dude you are just wrong. Dodging the brunt of a Zion punch would be way easier than dodging a punch from another professional fighter.
It's like saying Lebron James would lose a one-on-one game against Boban, because Boban is much bigger.
That probably sounds right to someone who doesn't know anything about basketball, but to someone who does it's just asinine.

It's not possible to converse with you if you're just going to put words in my mouth.

Did I ever say "a bigger amateur would totally mystify them and they wouldn't be able to handle it?"

Obviously I never said anything close to that :crazy:

Did I ever say Zion would even win? No.

I was very clearly just responding to the comment that "there's no chance" for an NBA athlete or any non-trained athlete to knock out a trained fighter.

Of course dodging a Zion punch would be easier than dodging a punch from another professional fighter. Again, you're just saying things I never said so I don't know what to tell you. Maybe read things a few times to try to increase your comprehension?
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,467

Post#66 » by boomershadow » Sun May 17, 2020 5:26 am

You know how much better professional basketball players are than even really talented amateurs?

McGregor is a professional fighter.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 93,288

Post#67 » by Capn'O » Sun May 17, 2020 5:28 am

lakerz12 wrote:

I'm sorry but that is one of the worst analogies I've ever heard.

You used an example of someone of similar size and strength transitioning to a different skill/activity/sport (from MMA to boxing).

We are talking about a person of extremely overwhelming size/strength facing a much smaller opponent in an unfamiliar activity (basketball to MMA/fighting).

Totally apples to oranges and completely different scenarios.

The entire premise of this question is to what degree size/strength/superior overall athleticism can overwhelm specific skill. Your example of McGregor going to boxing is totally irrelevant.

If you took a much larger and stronger MMA fighter to face Mayweather then you could have a point.

No one is debating that McGregor has the skill/experience advantage just as Mayweather did. People are arguing that Zion's extreme size/strength advantage could compensate for the lack of skill/experience. Your analogy didn't address that at all.

I'm not making a logical proof here. I'm telling you he's gonna get his ass kicked.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Saint Lazarus
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,500

Post#68 » by Saint Lazarus » Sun May 17, 2020 5:28 am

You can tell who only watches basketball and who expands their sports horizons in this thread alone. Having large muscles doesn't mean your brain isn't going to turn to mush when someone throws an accurate hammer first.
dorkestra wrote:Embiid is embarrassing the whole city of Philadelphia. Wake up you little bitch

The Comedian wrote:Saint Lazarus playing 4D chess right now.

This dude legit has other Celtics fans arguing with him :lol:
Antinomy
Head Coach
And1: 7,617

Post#69 » by Antinomy » Sun May 17, 2020 5:38 am

lakerz12 wrote:
Antinomy wrote:Some of you don’t seem to realize that your height & weight only matters in a fight if both people are at the same level skill-wise.

If both guys can’t fight, the bigger guy has a better chance.
If both are fairly skilled, the bigger guy has a better chance.
If the smaller guy is more skilled though, he’s definitely doing some significant damage.

Most people only fight with their hands, while skilled fighters use damn near everything. Forearms, shins, elbows, feet etc. No matter how big you are, your face & limbs can’t manage being hit too many times.

Oh really...so you think a highly trained little person would beat you up? Or a world class karate 7 year old would handle you?

And they will beat up an NBA player because "height & weight only matters in a fight if both people are at the same level skill-wise" :lol:

Strawman alert.
GreenBloodedC
RealGM
And1: 14,436

Post#70 » by GreenBloodedC » Sun May 17, 2020 5:38 am

lakerz12 wrote:
CIN-C-STAR wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:
That's simply not true.

It only takes 1 punch.

And there's world of difference between fighting and taking a punch from a trained fighter and an untrained athlete.
RoundMoundOfRebound
RealGM
And1: 13,432

Post#71 » by RoundMoundOfRebound » Sun May 17, 2020 5:40 am

Larger vs smaller fighers..

dorkestra
RealGM
And1: 12,674

Post#72 » by dorkestra » Sun May 17, 2020 5:40 am

MotownMadness wrote:Unless Zion is skilled enough to defend the jaw shot thats about to knock him out then Conor would make quick work of him.

Weight does matter but one of them is alot more trained in this situation. Conor dodges one sloppy punch and hes countering Zions jaw and knocking him out

Exactly true.

Technique makes such a difference in any other sport, why wouldn't it be the same in fighting?
folks who quote what I wrote get choked
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,971

Post#73 » by cdubbz » Sun May 17, 2020 5:47 am

cdubbz wrote:This is from the JJ Redick podcast where they somehow brought this up for some reason. Pretty hilarious. JJ picked his Zion Teammate to win.

Zion Williamson is 19yo 6’6 285lbs

Connor McGregor is 31yo 5’9 180lbs.

Who wins in a 3 round 3min MMA fight?

Does Zion just pick him up and sit on him?
Does McGregor put a finger submission on Zion?
Does Zion just push Connor off and wait for time to expire?
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,132

Post#74 » by Duke4life831 » Sun May 17, 2020 5:49 am

boomershadow wrote:You know how much better professional basketball players are than even really talented amateurs?

Haha pretty much this. Its mind blowing watching videos of guys that were only in the league for like a year and barely played play pickup ball against like division 2 guys and look like they're the best player of all time and a NBA superstar.

There is a ton of skill in fighting. If you have never been trained on how to throw a punch, I can pretty much guarantee you have horrible technique. Conor's striking is elite, his spacing is elite, his technique is elite, his timing and precision is elite. And lets just throw on top of all of that 10+ years of wrestling, BJJ, clinch work and other areas of training.
Buckets22
Sixth Man
And1: 1,513

Post#75 » by Buckets22 » Sun May 17, 2020 5:54 am

RoundMoundOfRebound wrote:Larger vs smaller fighers..

Good video, but it's missing the other side.

In his early career Bob Sapp did some serious damage beating Ernesto Hoost TWICE.

I give Zion the punchers chance...it also depends on the rules of course, in theory the bigger guy will simply grab the smaller one by the throat and finish him in 20 seconds, but this is forbidden by the rules.
:king: King James Peoples' MVP 2020 :king:
CIN-C-STAR
General Manager

Post#76 » by CIN-C-STAR » Sun May 17, 2020 5:55 am

RoundMoundOfRebound wrote:Larger vs smaller fighers..

Clearly these larger fighters didn't realize they could just pick up the smaller fighter and slam them, or knock them out with one punch, which basketball player Zion Williamson would definitely know how to do successfully :roll:
:lol:
LKN
General Manager
And1: 15,580

Post#77 » by LKN » Sun May 17, 2020 5:56 am

thebigbird wrote:I think there's about a zero percent chance that McGregor wins a back alley fight with a pro athlete literally twice as heavy as him. They have weight classes in UFC for a reason.

Actually a professional fighter would beat someone who doesn't know how to fight well easily regardless of weight.

Particularly if they are trained in jujitsu/grappling.
ThumbsUpBaby
Head Coach
And1: 10,885

Post#78 » by ThumbsUpBaby » Sun May 17, 2020 5:57 am

Assuming that Zion never practiced MMA and doesn't know how to fight, there is no way he's beating McGregor. Doesn't matter how strong or how heavy he is. McGregor will most definitely aim for that knee since Zion will have no idea wtf he's doing.

Now if Zion did practice and has some skills in MMA, then yeah. McGregor is gon have to announce his retirement. Nobody is surviving a punch from that tank. Zion has the advantage in all physical departments.

thebigbird wrote:
Eddy_JukeZ wrote:
Optms wrote:I am utterly dumbfounded at how lopsided this is for in favor of McGreror. Do people not realize Zion is twice his size and literately a walking slab of muscle?

We have no clue if Zion is skilled in fighting.

Zion is enormous. He doesn't need to be that skilled in fighting when he's 9 inches taller and 100+ pounds heavier. He could pick McGregor up and slam him onto the ground in a back alley fight.

Lol dude, McGregor knows BJJ. Doesn't matter how much heavier or bigger you are. If you don't know wtf you're doing, even someone smaller who's practiced BJJ for practically their whole life will put you on the ground and make you gasp for air from submission. Zion trying to pick and slam him would be the worst decision. His best chance is hoping that his punch somehow hits McGregor.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,971

Post#79 » by cdubbz » Sun May 17, 2020 5:57 am

LoveMyRaps wrote:

Wow. Zion needs to watch himself.

Maybe Zion goes full Homer Simpson and charges In with his arms flailing until he gets close enough for the bear hug.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,815

Post#80 » by HeartBreakKid » Sun May 17, 2020 6:03 am

lakerz12 wrote:
CIN-C-STAR wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:
That's simply not true.

It only takes 1 punch.

Knowing how to throw a punch is not intuitive for most people including athletes. Not true at all that an NBA athlete would understand how to throw a good one, much less one that would land cleanly.

Connor McGregor has obviously trained with people much larger than himself, certainly people who could kill Zion Williamson.

Connor would win on attrition alone. People get really tired in fights very quickly.

If Connor is allowed to grapple him than this is pretty much an easy win. He was a UFC Lightweight champion, lightweights in MMA are not midgets - they cut down to 155, which means that many LW's walk around at 180 or so during "off season". Granted that is a huge weight difference between him and Zion (100 lbs I'd wager), but McGregor isn't a small person.

Chris Jericho, who compared to McGregor is a bit smaller, less athletic and trained for like 2 days in catch wrestling was able to pin down Bill Goldberg who is significantly larger and was an NFL caliber athlete at one point. So if McGregor clinched Zion it'd be over sooner than later.

There are also open weight fights where small men have beaten freakishly large men - you can look them up in Japan.

There is plenty of footage of NBA players fighting, and it's comedy.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts