Your Favorite MMA Media Sources?

Moderator: lilfishi22

Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,442

Your Favorite MMA Media Sources? 

Post#1 » by Susan » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:09 am

So we've got a decent bit of folks here and I'm sure that y'all have some really good journalists, twitter personas, YouTube channels or what have you that you get your MMA info from.

-I listen to Luke Thomas' MMA show on Sirius XM + follow him on Twitter and watch a decent bit of his YouTube Channel,
-Used to listen to Ariel's MMA hour on Monday's but kind of stopped recently
-Love love love Mixed Molly Whoppery on YouTube - BEST story teller in the game
-still watch BJJ Scout for BJJ drama and grappling breakdowns
-Been getting into Jack Slack's channel for his technique breakdowns
-Aplaca Thesaurus when he posts for some body language breakdowns
-Anatomy of a Fighter when I'm really interested in the story of a certain fight
-Mindsmash for when I want some Mindsmash ****
-Uncle Joey's MMA Editsfor MMA based obscure highlight reels

Who should I be reading/listening to??
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,129

Re: Your Favorite MMA Media Sources? 

Post#2 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:25 am

MMA talk:
Luke Thomas
A little Ariel when I find myself browsing ESPN+

Youtube:
BJJ World: Solid quick updates on BJJ news and events
MMA World: Solid quick updates on MMA news and events
Bernardo Ferreira BJJ: Some pretty solid technique breakdowns from some of the top current guys in the sport (grapplers and coaches)
MMA On Point: More of a mindless entertainment channel. Mostly random top 10 lists, but find them entertaining.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#3 » by REDDzone » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:52 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:Bernardo Ferreira BJJ: Some pretty solid technique breakdowns from some of the top current guys in the sport (grapplers and coaches)

[cookiemonstervoicewithbrazilianaccent] Okay guys, I'm here with....huge honor for me.[/cookiemonstervoicewithbrazilianaccent]

Every. Single. Video.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#4 » by REDDzone » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:03 pm

I'm not as into MMA these days TBH. I listen to Ariel every week and that's my sole source of news and way of keeping up with it. MMA forums (outside of this one) are pretty much cesspools from my experience. I'll also listen to Rogan is he has an interesting fighter on.

I used to listen to Luke Thomas. He's one of the few MMA journalists who has a feel for technical analysis which is something that a guy like Ariel is 100% deficient in. I appreciate that component but he's just so condescending that it's not worth it to me. Plus, he plays devil's advocate just to play devil's advocate which drives me nuts. :lol:

Sometimes I'll watch all the UFC promotional stuff - the embeddeds, etc. But only for stuff I care about. Like this past weekend I did, didn't bother with the last one for the journeyman championship.

For BJJ, I listen to MatBurn podcast with Keenan and Hinger. I also listen to the Grappling Rewind podcast which reviews/previews upcoming professional grappling events and matches. Finally, I also Jon Thomas and Keenan's channels for instructional stuff and whatever else catches my eye. When Bernardo has Gordon or Danaher on, its always great stuff.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#5 » by cowboyronnie » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:29 pm

Luke Thomas is so damn pretentious, lol. What even are those breakdowns? Just watching something in painstaking detail with lots of freeze frames and then stating the obvious? Why does he talk so slow?

I listen to MMARoasted when Renato or Mayhem Miller are co-hosting. Mayhem, now out of prison, is really great. He is an honest, humane, compassionate guy. He actually connects to and likes people. The stories, too, lol! He's interacted with just about every figure even in MMA so just chock full of good stuff.

I scan MMAFighting a couple times a day.

That's it. I wouldn't listen to Rogan anymore, I don't think, unless there were a really big MMA figure on. Or some evolutionary psychologist to explain why there are gender gaps and men like mechanics.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#6 » by REDDzone » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:31 pm

^^ Dude is MMAFighting even still a thing? Their entire staff left in mass exodus after ESPN poached Ariel. I would think the quality there would have dropped off dramatically, no?
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#7 » by cowboyronnie » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:37 pm

REDDzone wrote:^^ Dude is MMAFighting even still a thing? Their entire staff left in mass exodus after ESPN poached Ariel. I would think the quality there would have dropped off dramatically, no?

I have no idea. I have no other source other than MMAFighting so could never find out such a thing.

I don't read the writing, I just scan it for the headlines...which they always seem on top of. BloodyElbow or some other site has cool politics, right? A bunch of takedowns of **** relationships between fighters and foreign dictators?
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#8 » by REDDzone » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:57 pm

Karim Zidan is the guy who always writes about Kadyrov and the UFC, Khabib, etc. and yes he writes for BE occasionally. I don't know anything else about Bloody Elbow or MMA Junkie.
Susan
RealGM

Post#9 » by Susan » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:26 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:Luke Thomas is so damn pretentious, lol. What even are those breakdowns? Just watching something in painstaking detail with lots of freeze frames and then stating the obvious? Why does he talk so slow?

I listen to MMARoasted when Renato or Mayhem Miller are co-hosting. Mayhem, now out of prison, is really great. He is an honest, humane, compassionate guy. He actually connects to and likes people. The stories, too, lol! He's interacted with just about every figure even in MMA so just chock full of good stuff.

I scan MMAFighting a couple times a day.

That's it. I wouldn't listen to Rogan anymore, I don't think, unless there were a really big MMA figure on. Or some evolutionary psychologist to explain why there are gender gaps and men like mechanics.

Man, Mayhem could be a superstar analyst now that he's back. Just about to listen to Mayhem/Colby on MMARoasted. Thanks for putting me onto that! Glad to see him get back to the real world. Those years were pretty dark there.

Forgot about Karim Zidan.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#10 » by REDDzone » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:29 pm

Last I heard about Mayhem, he was being arrested for beating up his sister or some sh*t. I'm sure he's great though.

I'm still waiting for them to set War Machine up with a mic.
Susan
RealGM

Post#11 » by Susan » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:46 pm

REDDzone wrote:Last I heard about Mayhem, he was being arrested for beating up his sister or some sh*t. I'm sure he's great though.

“It’s been a long time since I’ve ventured onto the information superhighway called the internet, and the last time I was here it was a very different place, and I was a very different person.

It goes without saying that I was acting like a madman for a good stretch of my post fight life, and I can’t make excuses for my behavior. I can, however, explain that I wasn’t in the right state of mind for a very long time, as evidenced by my constant war with law enforcement, destruction of public property, domestic disturbances and evading, but eventually I was caught, and forced to take a long, long look in the mirror. I’d like to take this opportunity to apologize to everyone that I negatively affected during the dark times, including friends, family, law enforcement and the kalt, whom I have abandoned for far too long.

I’m sorry.

What I came to realize was that the choices I was making were not ones that could produce the type of lifestyle that I want to live. Some refer to it as “growing up,” but I prefer the term “evolution.”

I’d like all of you to reserve judgement on myself and everyone involved with the ongoing drama until things are settled. To be certain, there are many unanswered questions in my life, but the reason I am confident to reemerge into the light of public sphere is that I am confident of my sanity and sobriety. Somewhere in the last couple of years, I figured out that you can’t live like a rock star anarchist for too long without being killed or landing for a long stretch in prison. Luckily I have avoided either fate, and have emerged on the other side of a humbling journey, ready to make Mayhem great again, and be of service to my fellow man.

I thank you all for your continued support and look forward to making the future with you all. God Bless!”

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/9/4/20849008/jason-mayhem-miller-apologizes-reflects-on-dark-times-in-statement

Sucks he's mentiosn MAGA here but dude clearly had a rough **** life, found something good in fighting for himself and went off the deep end after that ended.

Glad to see he's not in so much pain anymore and is operating healthfully.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#12 » by REDDzone » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:22 pm

^ I was just teasing. I hope he is happy and functional now. I'm the guy who defends Greg Hardy on here, so definitely have no issues with Mayhem.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#13 » by REDDzone » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:24 pm

Also, this is OT to the thread but what are your feelings towards Colby? (asking because you mentioned you want to listen to Mayhem/Colby).

I feel like you used to hate him but nowadays your posts seem more complimentary towards his progress as a fighter rather than negative towards his persona.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#14 » by cowboyronnie » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:40 pm

Susan wrote:
REDDzone wrote:Last I heard about Mayhem, he was being arrested for beating up his sister or some sh*t. I'm sure he's great though.

“It’s been a long time since I’ve ventured onto the information superhighway called the internet, and the last time I was here it was a very different place, and I was a very different person.

It goes without saying that I was acting like a madman for a good stretch of my post fight life, and I can’t make excuses for my behavior. I can, however, explain that I wasn’t in the right state of mind for a very long time, as evidenced by my constant war with law enforcement, destruction of public property, domestic disturbances and evading, but eventually I was caught, and forced to take a long, long look in the mirror. I’d like to take this opportunity to apologize to everyone that I negatively affected during the dark times, including friends, family, law enforcement and the kalt, whom I have abandoned for far too long.

I’m sorry.

What I came to realize was that the choices I was making were not ones that could produce the type of lifestyle that I want to live. Some refer to it as “growing up,” but I prefer the term “evolution.”

I’d like all of you to reserve judgement on myself and everyone involved with the ongoing drama until things are settled. To be certain, there are many unanswered questions in my life, but the reason I am confident to reemerge into the light of public sphere is that I am confident of my sanity and sobriety. Somewhere in the last couple of years, I figured out that you can’t live like a rock star anarchist for too long without being killed or landing for a long stretch in prison. Luckily I have avoided either fate, and have emerged on the other side of a humbling journey, ready to make Mayhem great again, and be of service to my fellow man.

I thank you all for your continued support and look forward to making the future with you all. God Bless!”

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/9/4/20849008/jason-mayhem-miller-apologizes-reflects-on-dark-times-in-statement

Sucks he's mentiosn MAGA here but dude clearly had a rough **** life, found something good in fighting for himself and went off the deep end after that ended.

Glad to see he's not in so much pain anymore and is operating healthfully.

He's been on MMA Roasted a good 5 times since his release. He was even phoning in from the prison while there. I think each is worth a listen. As I said, he's actually a sensitive, humane guy.

I am sort of loathe to compare him to Tyson cos Tyson was a rapist, dom abuser and Mayhem was just a public nuisance / maniac but the two do have that sensitivity, reflectiveness in common.

Mayhem is definitely not a MAGA guy. He talked on the most recent episode about his dad being MAGA and how ridiculous it is.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#15 » by REDDzone » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:49 pm

^ Mayhem has been arrested 2-3 times for domestic abuse. I think that also makes him a domestic abuser by definition unless I'm missing something.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#16 » by cowboyronnie » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:48 pm

REDDzone wrote:^ Mayhem has been arrested 2-3 times for domestic abuse. I think that also makes him a domestic abuser by definition unless I'm missing something.

In one case, it was because he put his sister in a headlock on his parent's front lawn at a family gathering. Sorry, that's not comparable to punching the **** out of your wife, dependent, and mother of children behind closed doors.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,958

Post#17 » by Jasen777 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:59 pm

REDDzone wrote:^^ Dude is MMAFighting even still a thing? Their entire staff left in mass exodus after ESPN poached Ariel. I would think the quality there would have dropped off dramatically, no?

It's still ok for basic news.The rest has really dropped off.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#18 » by REDDzone » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:16 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:
REDDzone wrote:^ Mayhem has been arrested 2-3 times for domestic abuse. I think that also makes him a domestic abuser by definition unless I'm missing something.

In one case, it was because he put his sister in a headlock on his parent's front lawn at a family gathering. Sorry, that's not comparable to punching the **** out of your wife, dependent, and mother of children behind closed doors.

Not arguing that he's as bad as Tyson dude.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#19 » by cowboyronnie » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:24 pm

Dude, you just said that both fell under instances of the same category. I pointed out that the category and its definition doesn't mean anything. You have no point.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#20 » by REDDzone » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:25 pm

Also, a "headlock" is probably the generic term the cop's gave it. Chances are, dude choked out his sister or at least choked her.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts