Cuțelaba
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Re: UFC 254: Khabib vs Justin G 

Post#2 » by Headliner » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:02 pm

Predictions?

I’m going on the long shot of Justin for the win.
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,811

Post#3 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:44 am

Def excited DON'T F*CKING FORGET IT'S AT 2 F*CKING PM IN THE AFTERNOON.

Thank goodness no other NBA/NFL/NHL games or MLB games on at that time.

Not that it matters with my setup.

Also lets your Saturday night be free as well so I guess that's another plus.

I got Whittaker winning in the 2nd round by KO

Volkov winning in 3rd round by submission.

The Main Event I gotta think about it more.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#4 » by Headliner » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:57 pm

2PM? lol I missed that completely, I knew it was earlier but I was thinking it would be like 8 or something.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,689

Post#5 » by Dupp » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:24 am

Pre lims start at 3am for me. Main cards at 5 am so I’ll get up for that.

Really looking forward to the main and co main. Khabibs gonna drown Justin. Really hope rob can get the win.

Crazy this card was suppose to have porrier v tony on it.
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#6 » by gigantes » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:57 pm

Headliner wrote:Predictions?

I’m going on the long shot of Justin for the win.

How do you see that happening, though?

One thing I don't think Khabib gets enough credit for is his athleticism. Sure his chain-wrestling is arguably the best in MMA history, and he's supposedly incredibly strong for 155'er, but his speed & reflexes don't seem to get mentioned much.

But rewatching some of his recent fights, it's almost terrifying how quick his takedown shots are. Not to mention his ability to dodge fast, powerful strikes. There's also the fact that even when tagged good, the strength of his chin can bail him out nicely.

I think it's very possible Justin gives Khabib his toughest fight yet, and it still not being enough.

Hope I'm wrong, though. It gets kinda depressing watching Khabib grind down fighter after fighter.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,168

Post#7 » by HMFFL » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:21 am

Dupp wrote:Pre lims start at 3am for me. Main cards at 5 am so I’ll get up for that.

Really looking forward to the main and co main. Khabibs gonna drown Justin. Really hope rob can get the win.

I hope Rob wins too. He's a slight underdog.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,168

Post#8 » by HMFFL » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:23 am

The prelims start with Joel Alvarez vs Alexander Yakovlev. I believe this will be a good match.

REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#9 » by REDDzone » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:55 am

Khabib: "They are all good when they stand up, but when I grab them...it changes a little bit."

It do be like that sometimes.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Dupp
RealGM

Post#10 » by Dupp » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:30 am

HMFFL wrote:
Dupp wrote:Pre lims start at 3am for me. Main cards at 5 am so I’ll get up for that.

Interesting rob is underdog. Dudes won 10 of his last 11 or something. Guess people really running with he won’t be the same post Yoel
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#11 » by REDDzone » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:07 pm

Dupp wrote:
HMFFL wrote:

Interesting rob is underdog. Dudes won 10 of his last 11 or something. Guess people really running with he won’t be the same post Yoel

I actually had no idea enough of the wider betting public read my realgm posts to affect lines. :)
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#12 » by cowboyronnie » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:52 pm

Canonier is really well-respected, I guess, because of signs of improvement? I remember being really impressed by the fight with Hermanson.

Rob is significantly undersized. The only way you can make that work is if you've got your athleticism and speed in order. Which is questionable after all those battles and injuries.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,442

Post#13 » by Susan » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:43 pm

Love this staredown. These two are READY.
lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,909

Post#14 » by lobosloboslobos » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:08 pm

Nobody has ever been able to hit Khabib hard enough to change the course of a fight. Poirier TKO'd Gaethje and Alvarez before he fought Khabib and he barely touched him over 3 rounds. Conor had knocked out how many guys before fighting Khabib and he couldn't touch him. Gaethje clearly has the power to knock Khabib out but what is the likelihood he's able to deliver it? Not high imo. And when Gaethje says he's been wrestling since he was a kid, does anyone think that is comparable to Khabib wrestling bears as a kid? Anyway, I think Khabib takes it. And I really hope we get Khabib GSP next, even if GSP will be pushing 40.
Dupp
RealGM

Post#15 » by Dupp » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:24 pm

Susan wrote:

Love this staredown. These two are READY.

Khabib mentioned dcs one take down attempt in another interview too. He’s right, dc really should have tried to take the fight to the ground more.

Anyway watched the presser yesterday. Both guys are really humble and respectful guys. Justin talked about retiring his parents after this fight. Wholesome stuff.
Dupp
RealGM

Post#16 » by Dupp » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:28 pm

lobosloboslobos wrote:Nobody has ever been able to hit Khabib hard enough to change the course of a fight. Poirier TKO'd Gaethje and Alvarez before he fought Khabib and he barely touched him over 3 rounds. Conor had knocked out how many guys before fighting Khabib and he couldn't touch him. Gaethje clearly has the power to knock Khabib out but what is the likelihood he's able to deliver it? Not high imo. And when Gaethje says he's been wrestling since he was a kid, does anyone think that is comparable to Khabib wrestling bears as a kid? Anyway, I think Khabib takes it. And I really hope we get Khabib GSP next, even if GSP will be pushing 40.

Yeah khabibs stand up defense is really good.

One thing I don’t like about Khabib is he seems hellbent on never moving up in weight. Even talking about gsp the other day he’s saying he has to come down to 155. He should be more willing to step outside his comfort zone and challenge a bigger guy in his quest or goat status.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,442

Post#17 » by Susan » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:16 pm

lobosloboslobos wrote:Nobody has ever been able to hit Khabib hard enough to change the course of a fight. Poirier TKO'd Gaethje and Alvarez before he fought Khabib and he barely touched him over 3 rounds. Conor had knocked out how many guys before fighting Khabib and he couldn't touch him. Gaethje clearly has the power to knock Khabib out but what is the likelihood he's able to deliver it? Not high imo. And when Gaethje says he's been wrestling since he was a kid, does anyone think that is comparable to Khabib wrestling bears as a kid? Anyway, I think Khabib takes it. And I really hope we get Khabib GSP next, even if GSP will be pushing 40.

JG has the best TDD/footwork/striking/forward pressure of every fighter Khabib has fought IMO.

He's relentless with his striking and does it at a high pace and has shown a significantly higher fight IQ since his back to back losses. If. he can keep his back off of the cage, he's going to make Khabib take way more damage than any fighter he's faced and TBH Khabib hasn't ever really been in a war. We have no idea how Khabib reacts when he's in a war, JG's been there.
Dupp
RealGM

Post#18 » by Dupp » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:24 am

Khabib looked worried and really relieved to make weight. Dunno if that’s how he always acts but was a little odd
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#19 » by gigantes » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:28 pm

Dupp wrote:One thing I don’t like about Khabib is he seems hellbent on never moving up in weight. Even talking about gsp the other day he’s saying he has to come down to 155. He should be more willing to step outside his comfort zone and challenge a bigger guy in his quest or goat status.

I mostly agree. I don't think Khabib 'needs' to step up in weight for any particular reason, other than to fight GSP. But expecting GSP to come down to meet him seems pretty ridiculous to me.

For one thing, it's harder to make lighter weights as you age, and Georges probably hasn't weighed 155 since what... high school, maybe? So we're talking around twenty years ago. I certainly wouldn't try for it if I was him, as he has almost zero previous weight-cutting and fighting experience at 155. Plus, he won't know how his body will perform at that weight at age ~40.

Khabib is the same height as Georges, and seven years younger. Let him move up if he wants the fight badly enough.

The only real X-factor to me is that the head of the UFC is pretty much a psychopath, so it's very possible he finds a way to strong arm the fight in some way. Maybe by preying on GSP's desire for one more fight, plus throwing enough extra money in there.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#20 » by REDDzone » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:48 pm

When at 155, Khabib is in the GOAT conversation. He had a weight miss or two earlier in his career, but otherwise no issues. Why the hell would he move up? It's not like there are no money fights at 155 and its not like he has cleaned out the division either. I disagree with you guys pretty strongly on this.

That said, I also have zero desire to see a prime Khabib beat up a 40 year old GSP who will have only had one fight in 8 years by the time it happens either. So maybe that's the disconnect.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts