MMA/BOXING Fans I have a question

Moderator: lilfishi22

Cochulito
Banned User
And1: 0

MMA/BOXING Fans I have a question 

Post#1 » by Cochulito » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:51 pm

Someone i talk to mentioned this and i want your opinion on this. Boxing fans and MMA fans input are welcome.

How to get Boxing Mainstream

Reach the White Trendy young rich kids like UFC did...They reached a market that wants to be just as bad ass as black guys...so UFC reached a market and now white kids can say they are bad ass fighters

Boxing needs to get more Americans involved they need more kelly pavliks to get it into mainstream so the majority of whites will watch...because if you lack a white audience that means you are not getting the mega numbers you need to go mainstream.

Please what do you all think
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Re: MMA/BOXING Fans I have a question 

Post#2 » by cowboyronnie » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:44 am

UFC's got instant KOs and all sorts of sensational techniques. But, yeah, also personalities that are easily identifiable to white males.

I'm a white male, and *shocking* Kelly Pavlik is by far my fave boxer. Micky Ward and George Chuvalo being my all-time faves.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,491

Post#3 » by Blame Rasho » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:44 am

UFC has done a great job in reaching the white male demographic by the simple fact that they are on Spike TV. The thing about boxing is that it is in order to see the best fighters you need to have Showtime,HBO and PPV. You got to hope that your parents are fight fans in order to appreciate all the best fighters. I like FNF as much as anyone but you never see elite fighters fight there. I think ESPN has helped out to a degree but not much. I sometimes see boxing highlights there but never see MMA/UFC highlights. I think what has hurt boxing the most is the fact that we are not on network TV anymore.

What cowboyronnie brings up is very relevant. KO's draw the masses. How many people would order PPV's to see Tyson and his KO power? It is rare that you get quick KO's in boxing when you have elite fighters facing each other. They are too skilled to be stupid enough to get hit cleanly. In the UFC, one F'up and you can be KO'ed or tapping out. Often the best boxers don't have a style that is exciting to an avg fan. Who is on the edge of their seats when Winky Wright fights? How about Bernard Hopkins? People would always get on the case of Mayweather for his defensive style but the object of the game is to hit and not be hit.
Dry_Fish
RealGM
And1: 8,389

Post#4 » by Dry_Fish » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:42 am

I don't like MMA but enjoy boxing. It seems a little violent for me. Does it make sense?
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#5 » by Headliner » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:11 pm

Im the opposite as Dry_Fish
I don't like boxing, but i enjoy MMA. Boxing is just too boring for me. I actually enjoy submission fighting and utilizing more skills then just punching.
Cochulito
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#6 » by Cochulito » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:24 pm

Sign of a hardcore mma fan. The Casual fans want bar brawls.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts