Trade No One
4%
Other
4%

Total votes: 68

elias808
Junior
And1: 317

Re: 2024 Trade Deadline: who is available? 

Post#81 » by elias808 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:13 pm

GEE wrote:I personally could care less about racking up more future draft picks, because I don't think our Blazers need to get any younger. What I would like to see is the addition of two more quality bigs to add to Ayton, Reath & Brown. Five bigs in total to complete a solid PF/C rotation.

Mark Williams and Rui Hachimura would be MY favorite targets, but if we can do better than that, I would be thrilled. Use the picks we've already accumulated to get these guys and start winning NOW.

Would the addition of those players, minus the players we would have to give up, really be a better team in terms of wins and losses?
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 8,007

Post#82 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:50 pm

elias808 wrote:
GEE wrote:I personally could care less about racking up more future draft picks, because I don't think our Blazers need to get any younger. What I would like to see is the addition of two more quality bigs to add to Ayton, Reath & Brown. Five bigs in total to complete a solid PF/C rotation.

Mark Williams and Rui Hachimura would be MY favorite targets, but if we can do better than that, I would be thrilled. Use the picks we've already accumulated to get these guys and start winning NOW.

Would the addition of those players, minus the players we would have to give up, really be a better team in terms of wins and losses?

Mark looks like a solid starter - probably like a Poeltl level guy. But not a cornerstone in any way. I obviously would prefer a young guy with Poeltl caliber talent over Ayton and the backups but its certainly not a needle mover. This draft has a number of centers with 'solid low usage, nice defender, 5th starter' type ceilings (IE Clingan).

Rui is a nearly 26 year old 17M AV bench scorer who has been given numerous chances to steal a starting spot on a good team and has been unable to make the jump. He isnt a guy a rebuild team should covet at all.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,879

Post#83 » by Norm2953 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:24 pm

Portland just drafts the best front court player (s) wherever they pick in the 2024 draft. No need
to give up major assets

This is the type of draft where it really does not matter where you're picking unless someone
really steps forward over a period of games to make a case for himself to go #1. Let's say
we come back with Grant, Walker, Camara, Ayton, TL, Reath and add two more lottery picks
up front with Simons, Scoot, Sharpe returning to the BC. The status of Brogdon and Thybulle
either adds to the roster or provides assets

What might be more important is an upgrade at HC that has a better clue on how these pieces
fit together. A teaching coach that can help Scoot become the player Portland wants him to be.
red_power
Sixth Man
And1: 880

Post#84 » by red_power » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:05 pm

No coach can help Scoot much as long as he is a complete liability when he's forced to play one-on-one basketball
"Fly forward despite the fog" (c) Kobe Bryant 1978-2020
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 19,052

Post#85 » by DusterBuster » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:37 am

elias808 wrote:

Yup. Williams and Rui kinda suck. They’re at best deep bench depth guys. They’d do literally nothing to change the path of the Blazers.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,561

Post#86 » by zzaj » Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:20 pm

red_power wrote:No coach can help Scoot much as long as he is a complete liability when he's forced to play one-on-one basketball

Kind of a weird comment. In today's NBA, PGs usually start sets playing 2 on 2 basketball. But regardless of that, Scoot has shown the ability to change speeds, burst and get by defenders...it's the finishing and decision making once secondary defenses show on him or collapse that he hasn't been able to solve.

A good coach and coaching in general can absolutely help him spot where the right seams are in the defense, but most of that comes from reps against good competition IMHO. That takes a long time--even longer to make it instinct/automatic/muscle memory.

Personally, I'm not going to really evaluate Scoot until year 3. If he continues to show the progress he's shown already, he'll be just fine. Will he ever become the superstar that everyone seems to think he was going to be from day 1, and as indicated by his draft position? Who knows...But it'd be great to get a 20/8/10 player out of a #3 pick, and I think that's possible depending on how the team plays and the roster at it's prime.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,973

Post#87 » by JasonStern » Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:17 am

zzaj wrote:Personally, I'm not going to really evaluate Scoot until year 3. If he continues to show the progress he's shown already, he'll be just fine. Will he ever become the superstar that everyone seems to think he was going to be from day 1, and as indicated by his draft position? Who knows...But it'd be great to get a 20/8/10 player out of a #3 pick, and I think that's possible depending on how the team plays and the roster at it's prime.

Eh. Ricky Rubio is an equally terrible shooter who averaged 10.8ppg/7.4apg/4.1rpg/1.8spg and is still in the league after 12 seasons. My expectations are tapered to that. But, I hope that Scoot does prove me wrong.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
Case2012
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,782

Post#88 » by Case2012 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:05 pm

Scoot’s ceiling is a defensive back up bench guard. He’s literally one of the worst offensive players in a decade, so the kid is gonna be a bust. Trade the whole team for as many picks as possible. Grant’s lazy crap defense, zero playmaking and ZERO rebounding overpaid ass can go asap. Ayton’s lazy, overpaid entitled ass can go too. “I’ll continue to be a max player” What a clown. I would trade Scoot in a heart beat if anyone was stpuid enough to trade for him. I wonder what that lying pos Cronin could have gotten for him to help dame… we’ll never know.

There’s no one on this team I would keep except Sharpe, but he’s really come down to earth and he’s got like 2 brain cells so I wouldn’t mind trading him either for the right guy. We should trade every halfway decent guy on this team for picks and full on tank for the next 3 years and pray we get someone half as good as dame at some point, I think MS is the scout that could do it despite whiffing on Scoot.
Instagram: @casetwelve
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,875

Post#89 » by The Sebastian Express » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:35 pm

I guess this is slightly better than the time in the summer you were talking about how people might shoot the ownership group.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 19,052

Post#90 » by DusterBuster » Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:20 am

JasonStern wrote:
zzaj wrote:Personally, I'm not going to really evaluate Scoot until year 3. If he continues to show the progress he's shown already, he'll be just fine. Will he ever become the superstar that everyone seems to think he was going to be from day 1, and as indicated by his draft position? Who knows...But it'd be great to get a 20/8/10 player out of a #3 pick, and I think that's possible depending on how the team plays and the roster at it's prime.

Eh. Ricky Rubio is an equally terrible shooter who averaged 10.8ppg/7.4apg/4.1rpg/1.8spg and is still in the league after 12 seasons. My expectations are tapered to that. But, I hope that Scoot does prove me wrong.

Rubio just retired I believe.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 8,007

Post#91 » by BlazersBroncos » Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:16 am

Scoot either figures it out as a basket attacking scorer or busts. He isn’t ever going to be as good a defender or creator as Rubio.

Ricky was a savant. He could have been Nash with defense if he could shoot. He made it without shooting because his natural feel was absurd. And he was tall.

Scoot has few traits in common with Rubio outside a broken J.
GEE
Starter
And1: 334

Post#92 » by GEE » Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:52 pm

I'll just say that the expectations for Scoot were way to high from the start, and I knew he wasn't going to be taking over Day 1. But, I also think he could be great NOW as Simons' B/U at PG. Eventually, he may very well take over the starting PG spot, but for NOW it should remain an open competition. And, Simons is about the only good thing to watch out there recently.

Grant should go for a good price. Thybulle and Brogden too. Just really hoping we can add an additional long-term Big-Man that fits with the current core of Simons / Sharpe / Scoot / Walker / Ayton / RW3 ... Like, Yesterday. TWO long-term core additions would be even more Delicious. Drafting a "Can't-Miss" player or two in '27 would be a Home-Run going into next summer IMHO.

Camara, Murray, Reath and Brown are fairly good end of bench guys as well, and would only deal them with hesitation... I Like-em'. Four picks in '27. Hopefully the Dubs will keep sucking. Should be able to acquie a couple really good future picks in any deal that I HOPE happens before this years' Dead-Line.

Grant / Thybulle / Brogden ===EQUALS=== WHAT???? No clue what's upcoming, but I hope it shocks us all with it's grandeur!

:pray: In CRONIN and SCHULTZ, I Trust. :pray:
Butter
General Manager
And1: 134

Post#93 » by Butter » Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:26 pm

Who are the best, possibly under-utilized young PFs?

Diamond in the rough type 4s out there in the league that the Blazerd could target for trade?
Sometimes they live by the jumper, and some times they die by the jumper.
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,541

Post#94 » by Pattycakes » Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:56 pm

Case2012 wrote:Scoot’s ceiling is a defensive back up bench guard. He’s literally one of the worst offensive players in a decade, so the kid is gonna be a bust. Trade the whole team for as many picks as possible. Grant’s lazy crap defense, zero playmaking and ZERO rebounding overpaid ass can go asap. Ayton’s lazy, overpaid entitled ass can go too. “I’ll continue to be a max player” What a clown. I would trade Scoot in a heart beat if anyone was stpuid enough to trade for him. I wonder what that lying pos Cronin could have gotten for him to help dame… we’ll never know.

There’s no one on this team I would keep except Sharpe, but he’s really come down to earth and he’s got like 2 brain cells so I wouldn’t mind trading him either for the right guy. We should trade every halfway decent guy on this team for picks and full on tank for the next 3 years and pray we get someone half as good as dame at some point, I think MS is the scout that could do it despite whiffing on Scoot.

First experience with a tanking blazers roster? Sheesh
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,683

Post#95 » by PDXKnight » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:41 pm

Pattycakes wrote:
Case2012 wrote:Scoot’s ceiling is a defensive back up bench guard. He’s literally one of the worst offensive players in a decade, so the kid is gonna be a bust. Trade the whole team for as many picks as possible. Grant’s lazy crap defense, zero playmaking and ZERO rebounding overpaid ass can go asap. Ayton’s lazy, overpaid entitled ass can go too. “I’ll continue to be a max player” What a clown. I would trade Scoot in a heart beat if anyone was stpuid enough to trade for him. I wonder what that lying pos Cronin could have gotten for him to help dame… we’ll never know.

First experience with a tanking blazers roster? Sheesh

Agreed give him time. Point guards especially don't turn into studs overnight more often than not.
GEE
Starter

Post#96 » by GEE » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:46 am

Butter wrote:Who are the best, possibly under-utilized young PFs?

Diamond in the rough type 4s out there in the league that the Blazerd could target for trade?

Again, for the hundredth time, I really want to take a shot at Mark Williams. Not sure if he's really that injured, or is he maybe just unhappy in Charolettte. Don't know, but if he could be gettable with just some picks... I think I would try very hard to get him. Also want to keep TimeLord to see what he looks like. Ayton would make three solid young BIGS potentially.

I also feel strongly that Ayton's offensive game reminds me alot of LA12's. A bit soft in the paint, but quite deadly shooting from 15-18ft. on offense. Point being that I think he could play as a PF, along side a more tradition 5, but agree with you and hope Cronin and Schultz have a target or two that we can add to our core, using Brogden &/or Grant &/or Thybulle.

:vent:
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#97 » by Dame Lizard » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:55 am

GEE wrote:

Again, for the hundredth time, I really want to take a shot at Mark Williams. Not sure if he's really that injured, or is he maybe just unhappy in Charolettte. Don't know, but if he could be gettable with just some picks... I think I would try very hard to get him. Also want to keep TimeLord to see what he looks like. Ayton would make three solid young BIGS potentially.

I also feel strongly that Ayton's offensive game reminds me alot of LA12's. A bit soft in the paint, but quite deadly shooting from 15-18ft. on offense. Point being that I think he could play as a PF, along side a more tradition 5, but agree with you and hope Cronin and Schultz have a target or two that we can add to our core, using Brogden &/or Grant &/or Thybulle.

Ayton would get roasted on defense by agile, more perimeter focussed power forwards.
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#98 » by Dame Lizard » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:57 am

Why is Billups playing Brogdon for 38 minutes in a game? He also played 41 minutes in the overtime game against Houston a few days ago.

If Cronin isn't talking to Billups encouraging him to minimise the risk of injury to our best veteran trade assets, then I will not be a happy camper.
tester551
Assistant Coach
And1: 860

Post#99 » by tester551 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:56 pm

Dame Lizard wrote:
GEE wrote:

Ayton would get roasted on defense by agile, more perimeter focussed power forwards.

I personally don't want anything to do with Mark Williams... However, this response is lazy.

It is the same thing we saw when people suggested playing Grant at SF. Claims that Grant would be too slow on D and couldn't be effective on offense. With Walker now starting at PF, Grant has been playing his best primarily at the SF.

Ayton as a PF is viable in short stretches. We saw glimpse of that when RWIII and Ayton played together (albeit not for much time).
GEE
Starter

Post#100 » by GEE » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:09 pm

tester551 wrote:
Dame Lizard wrote:
GEE wrote:

I personally don't want anything to do with Mark Williams... However, this response is lazy.

It is the same thing we saw when people suggested playing Grant at SF. Claims that Grant would be too slow on D and couldn't be effective on offense. With Walker now starting at PF, Grant has been playing his best primarily at the SF.

Ayton as a PF is viable in short stretches. We saw glimpse of that when RWIII and Ayton played together (albeit not for much time).

Thanks, you clearly got the overall point. I see alot of LA12's game in Ayton... that's all. Timelord hopefully recovers nicely by next summer, and with Ayton, Walker, and hopefully one more really really good additional BigMan via trade, regardless the cost.

IDENTIFY THE PERFECT PLAYER, and GO GET HIM! Mark Williams is just "MY" personal favorite, and strongly feel he's: Gettable, COULD possibly become a monster addition to our young core, with little to no risk, and at a fairly low cost.

Another buy low I'd still like to kick the tires on: Ben Simmons, considering the picks BKN has makes me think of them fondly.

And for the record: I've ALWAYS advocated for Grant to play at 3, versus the "Small-Ball" Blazer traditional lineup.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers