ImageImage

Do the Blazers run this roster back in 24/25?

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 19,052

Do the Blazers run this roster back in 24/25? 

Post#1 » by DusterBuster » Fri Feb 2, 2024 5:57 am

Is anyone else getting the sense the Blazers are going to make little to no changes at the deadline or even this summer.

Some changes may have to come just because of the picks they have coming, but I kind of wonder if Cronin likes the team he has now and wants to give it a second season… banking on health, growth and continuity.

Same with Billups, I don’t think there’s any chance he’s not back coaching the team next season. For all his flaws, he’s always had the players respect and keeping the team together. Bad teams like this can resort to fighting and being upset at one another, but Billups to his credit has kept this ship together.

Some players will likely have to go because the Blazers very well may have two lottery picks this summer, but I have to wonder if they want to see what a team with another year better Simons, Grant, Ayton, Thybulle, Time Lord and Brogdon can do with year 3 Walker and Sharpe, year 2 Scoot and Camara, a top 5 pick, a 10-14 pick….

I guess just looking at what the team is trying to mimic in OKC, I think they are going to be pretty bearish on major trades for quite a while right now and just load up on as much talents as possible.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,561

Re: Do the Blazers run this roster back in 24/25? 

Post#2 » by zzaj » Fri Feb 2, 2024 4:30 pm

Yeah, now that a bit of identity and rotation dust has been settled with Sharpe sidelined I believe that you are right--barring some lopsided trade that the Blazers can't refuse.

My sense is that Cronin sees enough from Ayton/Brogdon/Grant/Simons, with developing contributions from Walker and Camara, that he'll be fine bringing Sharpe and Scoot off the bench for another year. If Brogdon does get traded then I think we see Sharpe come in as the starting SG and Ant shift to PG. It's pretty obvious that Scoot is now going to have to earn minutes with this current regime.

If Brogdon leaves I think that the Blazers are going to fall off a cliff. He basically unlocks everything good that they've shown from the past season. These young Blazers need an organizer, and Ant is not that. Neither is Sharpe. Neither as Scoot at this stage.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 8,007

Post#3 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Feb 2, 2024 5:34 pm

I already have to get like 3 drinks deep and pop a 5MG edible to even come close to being excited to watch this team.

For my own health I really hope we dont have anything near this same roster for 24/25.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,879

Post#4 » by Norm2953 » Fri Feb 2, 2024 7:09 pm

I do think this would depend on who they draft in the 2024 draft.

Let's say they draft one of the forwards (Buzelis, Holland, Williams) and draft one of the
backup bigs or BPA with the GSW pick.

They'd still need to figure out how these pieces fit, which is why I think they need some type
of trade that helps getting these pieces to fit.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#5 » by DusterBuster » Fri Feb 2, 2024 7:24 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:I already have to get like 3 drinks deep and pop a 5MG edible to even come close to being excited to watch this team.

For my own health I really hope we dont have anything near this same roster for 24/25.

Teams can't just be turning over their roster year after year because they're bad. You have to give a roster a year or two to see if there's something there before just overhauling it completely. If the Thunder did that because they sucked two years after trading Russ, they wouldn't be where they are today.

On the flip side, the Blazers do need to be willing pivot if something is not working so they don't end up like the Pistons.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 8,007

Post#6 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Feb 2, 2024 7:29 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:I already have to get like 3 drinks deep and pop a 5MG edible to even come close to being excited to watch this team.

Teams can't just be turning over their roster year after year because they're bad. You have to give a roster a year or two to see if there's something there before just overhauling it completely. If the Thunder did that because they sucked two years after trading Russ, they wouldn't be where they are today.

On the flip side, the Blazers do need to be willing pivot if something is not working so they don't end up like the Pistons.

I am mostly referring to the vets. Playing the guys that will never take this team anywhere 35mpg so Billups can retain his job is not a fun watch.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#7 » by DusterBuster » Fri Feb 2, 2024 7:32 pm

Norm2953 wrote:I do think this would depend on who they draft in the 2024 draft.

Let's say they draft one of the forwards (Buzelis, Holland, Williams) and draft one of the
backup bigs or BPA with the GSW pick.

They'd still need to figure out how these pieces fit, which is why I think they need some type
of trade that helps getting these pieces to fit.

The Lottery will be interesting. Portland seems pretty locked into the #5 spot already and if they get lucky, they can be top 4.

I have Sarr pegged as my #1 prospect right now. I think the Blazers are going to need a +7 footer if they are going to have any hope against the next generation of the NBA with Wemby and Chet. My biggest worry with Sarr is that he's a bit of a FOMO prospect. We see this a lot in the NBA where a player hits big like for instance Dirk did in the early 00's, then teams take players like Darko and Tskitishvili high in hopes of getting that "next-Dirk" and end up with busts. They took a guy who "fit the mold" but didn't have the skill to go with it. Hopefully scouting has improved enough where this seems to happen less than it did before.
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
And1: 5,659

Post#8 » by Brandon-Clyde » Fri Feb 2, 2024 8:09 pm

Simply because I am tired of being an undersized team my ideal draft would be Sarr and Donovan Clingan. Sarr becomes the starting PF and Clingan backs up Ayton until he is ready to start. Then in the second round draft more forwards. Go big or else :vent:
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,879

Post#9 » by Norm2953 » Fri Feb 2, 2024 8:26 pm

I would worry less about reaching for any 7 foot player but simply adding the best front court player
who can play. They can draft the 7 foot guy like Clingan or Filipowski with the GSW pick

I'd like to draft the best athlete with length with the pick at 5. At least with Grant/Simons, Portland
has shooters
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#10 » by DusterBuster » Fri Feb 2, 2024 8:30 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:

I am mostly referring to the vets. Playing the guys that will never take this team anywhere 35mpg so Billups can retain his job is not a fun watch.

With all due respect, I think you have a totally disconnected opinion of whats really happening inside One Center Court if you think Billups is playing the vets to retain is job. Billups measurement to not get fired right now is to teach young players and not lose the lockerroom. His way of teaching the young guys is learning from vets right now and all indication is that's what the FO wants as well, additionally, he has full respect and control of the lockerroom. He's not playing the vets ahead of the young guys because he's worried wins and losses will cost him his job.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,683

Post#11 » by PDXKnight » Fri Feb 2, 2024 8:38 pm

I think when your team isn't playoff level as built its almost virtually impossible you see the same roster a year later. Not sure what move happens but I'd imagine one will either at the deadline or draft day probably involving brogdan bare minimum

An ayton trade wouldn't be a shocker either if we could offload him without having to pay for it. Not sure if we get that sort of offer but I'd imagine we are more willing to deal him than the fo leads on
zzaj
General Manager

Post#12 » by zzaj » Fri Feb 2, 2024 9:15 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:

With all due respect, I think you have a totally disconnected opinion of whats really happening inside One Center Court if you think Billups is playing the vets to retain is job. Billups measurement to not get fired right now is to teach young players and not lose the lockerroom. His way of teaching the young guys is learning from vets right now and all indication is that's what the FO wants as well, additionally, he has full respect and control of the lockerroom. He's not playing the vets ahead of the young guys because he's worried wins and losses will cost him his job.

Hard to know this for sure.

If portland continued getting blown out after that debacle a couple of weeks ago, who knows what would have happened. We do know that since then Billups has played Scoot and Camara less and tightned the rotation.
Nobody on here really knows if Billups' job is in jeopardy or if the plan is to develop by "being behind vets". It's all speculation.

I tend to be in the camp of 'this roster overachieving by playing vets achieves nothing'.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,176

Post#13 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Fri Feb 2, 2024 9:27 pm

I hardly think you can call what is happening right now "overachieving". Portland just doesn't have to strip these vets in order to be bad.

I also tend to be of a mindset that throwing young guys out there to get as many minutes as early in their career as possible doesn't really help their development much at all. I think part of learning is "Ok you need to sit for a few and watch how better players attack this situation", that you need to think the game and just not play it. I think being part of lockerroom with vets and real pressures is important for that game sense. Otherwise you get myopic chuckers who think being out there for 48 minutes is enough, who develop bad habits and have to relearn the lessons of how to actually win down the road. Now is it a perfect absolute take? No, there are situations and counter-examples galore. But in general I think the NBA hierarchy is a good thing, that young players not being handed anything and having to develop in the shadows of practiced and proven professionals is for their own good. But maybe that is also just me getting older, I dunno.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,973

Post#14 » by JasonStern » Fri Feb 2, 2024 9:29 pm

I mean, if a good offer came for Grant, Brogdon, or Thybulle, I'd imagine that Portland would take it. But I don't see them making a trade for the sake of making a trade. Brogdon and Grant have been great Tank Commanders. As others have stated, Brogdon might have more value to Portland than other teams. And Grant was picked up with a top 25 protected 1st . And now he's on an overpaid contract. So, I don't see what value Portland would be getting in return unless a GM was desperate, which does happen.

Billups will ride out his contract. Too many reasons and excuses - looking bad to the media hiring him after the sexual assault allegations, injuries, intentional tanking, being the guy leading the rebuild, player's coach, etc. Best thing to do here is just not care, because it's highly unlikely to change.

Ayton is probably a Blazer throughout his contract as well, unless he's used as an expiring to make some move. A lot of posters here hate him, but he's a decent big. He's just paid twice what he should be paid.

And, as always, you draft the best player available regardless of position. Passing on Chris Paul because we already had Sebastian Telfair still stings. As does Jordan because we had Drexler. Etc., etc. Worst case, you can make follow-up moves to balance the roster and try to sell high on players.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
zzaj
General Manager

Post#15 » by zzaj » Fri Feb 2, 2024 9:42 pm

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:I hardly think you can call what is happening right now "overachieving". Portland just doesn't have to strip these vets in order to be bad.

I also tend to be of a mindset that throwing young guys out there to get as many minutes as early in their career as possible doesn't really help their development much at all. I think part of learning is "Ok you need to sit for a few and watch how better players attack this situation", that you need to think the game and just not play it. I think being part of lockerroom with vets and real pressures is important for that game sense. Otherwise you get myopic chuckers who think being out there for 48 minutes is enough, who develop bad habits and have to relearn the lessons of how to actually win down the road. Now is it a perfect absolute take? No, there are situations and counter-examples galore. But in general I think the NBA hierarchy is a good thing, that young players not being handed anything and having to develop in the shadows of practiced and proven professionals is for their own good. But maybe that is also just me getting older, I dunno.

Don't really disagree, depending on the players involved. Some players are more ready to take on a bigger role than others, for various reasons--age, talent, whatever...
I think most assumed Scoot would be able to shoulder more of a NBA PG load then he has. Early in the season he was getting extended minutes and it seemed like that was to his detriment. Recently he's played better. Who knows if it would help him at this point to get 30 minutes a night vs 22.

I also like the "vet mentoring" system that has taken place historically in the NBA, and I feel like it's an important part of winning culture that is slowly disappearing.

As for the "overachieving"? If you take Brogdon's minutes and replace him with Scoot, and you take Grant's minutes and replace him with Rupert, the team will do worse--almost without a doubt. By playing the Vets 35 minutes a night Chauncey has given the team a better chance at winning, vs. 8-10 extra minutes of development for first year players.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,626

Post#16 » by JRoy » Fri Feb 2, 2024 11:26 pm

Start by canning Billups. Go into the off-season with some picks, some youth and find a new coach.

Draft the best front court player we can and BPA with other picks

Prosper.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#17 » by DusterBuster » Sat Feb 3, 2024 12:05 am

zzaj wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:

If portland continued getting blown out after that debacle a couple of weeks ago, who knows what would have happened. We do know that since then Billups has played Scoot and Camara less and tightned the rotation.
Nobody on here really knows if Billups' job is in jeopardy or if the plan is to develop by "being behind vets". It's all speculation.

I tend to be in the camp of 'this roster overachieving by playing vets achieves nothing'.

Is it though? Every media member close to the team is saying this publicly...
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#18 » by DusterBuster » Sat Feb 3, 2024 12:07 am

JasonStern wrote:I mean, if a good offer came for Grant, Brogdon, or Thybulle, I'd imagine that Portland would take it. But I don't see them making a trade for the sake of making a trade. Brogdon and Grant have been great Tank Commanders. As others have stated, Brogdon might have more value to Portland than other teams. And Grant was picked up with a top 25 protected 1st . And now he's on an overpaid contract. So, I don't see what value Portland would be getting in return unless a GM was desperate, which does happen.

Billups will ride out his contract. Too many reasons and excuses - looking bad to the media hiring him after the sexual assault allegations, injuries, intentional tanking, being the guy leading the rebuild, player's coach, etc. Best thing to do here is just not care, because it's highly unlikely to change.

Ayton is probably a Blazer throughout his contract as well, unless he's used as an expiring to make some move. A lot of posters here hate him, but he's a decent big. He's just paid twice what he should be paid.

And, as always, you draft the best player available regardless of position. Passing on Chris Paul because we already had Sebastian Telfair still stings. As does Jordan because we had Drexler. Etc., etc. Worst case, you can make follow-up moves to balance the roster and try to sell high on players.

It would have to be a REALLY good offer (maybe OK for Thybulle who is probably the most expendable of the 3). The trade market also look pretty weak this deadline with teams pretty reluctant to give up 1st rounders.

I also agree with both your Billups and Ayton views.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#19 » by DusterBuster » Sat Feb 3, 2024 12:08 am

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:I also tend to be of a mindset that throwing young guys out there to get as many minutes as early in their career as possible doesn't really help their development much at all. I think part of learning is "Ok you need to sit for a few and watch how better players attack this situation", that you need to think the game and just not play it. I think being part of lockerroom with vets and real pressures is important for that game sense. Otherwise you get myopic chuckers who think being out there for 48 minutes is enough, who develop bad habits and have to relearn the lessons of how to actually win down the road. Now is it a perfect absolute take? No, there are situations and counter-examples galore. But in general I think the NBA hierarchy is a good thing, that young players not being handed anything and having to develop in the shadows of practiced and proven professionals is for their own good. But maybe that is also just me getting older, I dunno.

I agree with this, and get the sense that's what Billups believes. There's also no reason to think Cronin isn't in lock-step with that opinion.
zzaj
General Manager

Post#20 » by zzaj » Sat Feb 3, 2024 2:58 am

DusterBuster wrote:
zzaj wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:

Is it though? Every media member close to the team is saying this publicly...

Is it? I don’t pay any attention to Blazer media.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers