Jarrett Culver

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,389

Re: Jarrett Culver 

Post#281 » by King Ken » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:20 am

SeattleJazzFan wrote:Roy and Pierce are both good comps. Good athlete, not great athlete.

Culver is damn good at basketball, its all about whether he can develop that consistent jumper.

And frankly, nobody knows. Draft him for his overall game and hope for the best. All prospects have their flaws.

I think Evan Turner is a much better comp than those two. Culver don't have Roy or Pierce skill level. Not even close. Those two were extremely skilled. Culver might even be a better athlete than Roy or Pierce but he is no where near as skill and doesn't have the size or strength anywhere close to those two where they can get away with decent athleticism.

The best comp for him honestly is Jalen Rose.
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#282 » by Coeur » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:06 am

King Ken wrote:
SeattleJazzFan wrote:Roy and Pierce are both good comps. Good athlete, not great athlete.

Culver is damn good at basketball, its all about whether he can develop that consistent jumper.

And frankly, nobody knows. Draft him for his overall game and hope for the best. All prospects have their flaws.

I think Evan Turner is a much better comp than those two. Culver don't have Roy or Pierce skill level. Not even close. Those two were extremely skilled. Culver might even be a better athlete than Roy or Pierce but he is no where near as skill and doesn't have the size or strength anywhere close to those two where they can get away with decent athleticism.

I was an Evan Turner “hater” and don’t see the similarity to culver at all. My thought on turner is he made everything look so hard. It’s about creating space. Turner makes things look hard. Culver makes the same thing look easy. I’ll take that
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#283 » by Stillwater » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:59 am

Culver imo is the one prospect besides maybe Hayes who could possibly slide to 9-12 range provided others jump up on boards after showing up exceptionally in the pre draft process pushing them down some.
I already see Reddish not having top 10 value and fully expect he is late lottery or soon after , but will not completely discount that some GM might take the risk on developing him as high as 6 or 7 maybe even over Culver
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
King Ken
General Manager

Post#284 » by King Ken » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:36 am

Coeur wrote:
King Ken wrote:

I was an Evan Turner “hater” and don’t see the similarity to culver at all. My thought on turner is he made everything look so hard. It’s about creating space. Turner makes things look hard. Culver makes the same thing look easy. I’ll take that

A lot of these Evan Turner haters came during his Philly run. Not at Ohio State when the game looked easy for him. I have so many documents showing how most loved Turner as a prospect. Both players will be fools gold
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,288

Post#285 » by clyde21 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:42 am

well Turner is on his third contract for a fools gold player, and that's with him not really giving a **** about getting better. half the time the last 5 or so years he's been out of shape and fat. clearly he just puts minimum work in.

so yea, if Culver doesn't put in the work he's gonna be 'fools gold' too, but is there reason to believe he won't? none that I see. furthermore, Culver is more translateable athletically and is quite a bit lengthier/better defender. Also 1.5 years younger at time of the draft.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#286 » by King Ken » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:42 am

clyde21 wrote:well Turner is on his third contract for a fools gold player, and that's with him not really giving a **** about getting better. half the time the last 5 or so years he's been out of shape and fat. clearly he just puts minimum work in.

so yea, if Culver doesn't put in the work he's gonna be 'fools gold' too, but is there reason to believe he won't? none that I see. furthermore, Culver is more translateable athletically and is quite a bit lengthier/better defender. Also 1.5 years younger at time of the draft.

Culver is not as athletic as Turner was. I agree about the length and he is a better defender but laterally, both are average for their position. Neither are all that translatable. Let's not act like Turner was a slouch as a Soph, he could have came out then. He was clearly the best player nationally when he came out.

He is ripping Portland off, the same way Culver will in the near future. Guys like Culver, Jalen Rose, and Turner get paid and teams instantly regret it. I know people close to Turner, most say he works his ass off to improve. He just reached his limits. But hard worker, by all accounts, Evan is.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#287 » by Stillwater » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:10 am

King Ken wrote:
clyde21 wrote:well Turner is on his third contract for a fools gold player, and that's with him not really giving a **** about getting better. half the time the last 5 or so years he's been out of shape and fat. clearly he just puts minimum work in.

Culver is not as athletic as Turner was. I agree about the length and he is a better defender but laterally, both are average for their position. Neither are all that translatable. Let's not act like Turner was a slouch as a Soph, he could have came out then. He was clearly the best player nationally when he came out.

He is ripping Portland off, the same way Culver will in the near future. Guys like Culver, Jalen Rose, and Turner get paid and teams instantly regret it. I know people close to Turner, most say he works his ass off to improve. He just reached his limits. But hard worker, by all accounts, Evan is.

Culver is the last boy scout....
Duddly **** doright whatever
And he will have problems in the league
because of it unless he proves to be a leader.
I don't anyone should be comparing him to the disappointing Turner before we see how he is used at the next level.He went from potential 1st round pick as a freshman to a lottery lock as a sophomore...give him some credit
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
clyde21
RealGM

Post#288 » by clyde21 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:57 pm

King Ken wrote:

doubt it, seeing as he's been out of shape and on the bigger side a big portion of his career.

and I also disagree that Culver isn't as athletic as Turner. I think he's a more versatile and efficient athlete, quicker feet, has a better and lengthier frame, and has more capacity to add functional strength.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#289 » by clyde21 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:00 pm

doesn't look like a guy who put in a lot of work once he got into the NBA.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#290 » by King Ken » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:04 pm

Your cherry picking pictures. You can look at all of his pics with Portland, he is in tremendous shape and you can watch Evan in college, he was a decent athlete and a good one for college.

King Ken
General Manager

Post#291 » by King Ken » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:13 pm

clyde21 wrote:
King Ken wrote:

doubt it, seeing as he's been out of shape and on the bigger side a big portion of his career.

and I also disagree that Culver isn't as athletic as Turner. I think he's a more versatile and efficient athlete, quicker feet, has a better and lengthier frame, and has more capacity to add functional strength.

He is not a more efficient athlete, you saying **** you can't even explain. His feet are damn near the same. He just has quicker hands which was already stated. Both have decent frames for SGs but neither have the frame they need to play that style they need to play. I think everything you are saying is nonsense. He is going to be a flop if you plan on drafting him to be a starter and he's not the lead guard. That's the only part where I think he can be better than Turner. Turner had no lead guard decision making skills even if he had the passing and the handles.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#292 » by clyde21 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:21 pm

King Ken wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
King Ken wrote:Culver is not as athletic as Turner was. I agree about the length and he is a better defender but laterally, both are average for their position. Neither are all that translatable. Let's not act like Turner was a slouch as a Soph, he could have came out then. He was clearly the best player nationally when he came out.

He is not a more efficient athlete, you saying **** you can't even explain. His feet are damn near the same. He just has quicker hands which was already stated. Both have decent frames for SGs but neither have the frame they need to play that style they need to play. I think everything you are saying is nonsense. He is going to be a flop if you plan on drafting him to be a starter and he's not the lead guard. That's the only part where I think he can be better than Turner. Turner had no lead guard decision making skills even if he had the passing and the handles.

conversely, I think every word that came out of your keyboard in this thread has been complete and utter nonsense on every level...so yea...their feet are the same? how? look at how Culver maneuvers in traffic vs. Turner. it's not even close. Much, much quicker feet.

whether you think he's gonna be starter or not is a different discussion, but the comp to Turner you keep throwing out is a pretty bad one and doesn't hold any water other than they're both playmaking wings.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#293 » by clyde21 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:23 pm

the pics you just posted prove my point...look at how he looked in college vs. the pros...he put on a lot of bad weight and this was discussed many times over the years.

here he is in Portland.

if you think this guy has put in any effort to stay in top shape in the NBA I don't really know what to tell you.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#294 » by King Ken » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:34 pm

clyde21 wrote:
King Ken wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

conversely, I think every word that came out of your keyboard in this thread has been complete and utter nonsense on every level...so yea...their feet are the same? how? look at how Culver maneuvers in traffic vs. Turner. it's not even close. Much, much quicker feet.

whether you think he's gonna be starter or not is a different discussion, but the comp to Turner you keep throwing out is a pretty bad one and doesn't hold any water other than they're both playmaking wings.

One person will be right and one will be wrong at the end of next season. I am 100% I will be right and you will be wrong. Good day.I will save to post just to say I told you so. I haven't been so adamant on a player being a top 10 flop since I told everyone to NOT select Adriean Payne in the 1st round no matter what. My dumbass at the time Hawks(Danny Ferry) drafted him and lucky them, found a fool to take him for a 1st rounder that turned into Kevin Hureter. Generally, fools don't get that lucky.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#295 » by clyde21 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:38 pm

King Ken wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
King Ken wrote:He is not a more efficient athlete, you saying **** you can't even explain. His feet are damn near the same. He just has quicker hands which was already stated. Both have decent frames for SGs but neither have the frame they need to play that style they need to play. I think everything you are saying is nonsense. He is going to be a flop if you plan on drafting him to be a starter and he's not the lead guard. That's the only part where I think he can be better than Turner. Turner had no lead guard decision making skills even if he had the passing and the handles.

One person will be right and one will be wrong at the end of next season. I am 100% I will be right and you will be wrong. Good day.I will save to post just to say I told you so.

i'm not even making a claim on Culver one way or the other, I'm just questioning this comparison you keep bringing up.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#296 » by King Ken » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:38 pm

clyde21 wrote:the pics you just posted prove my point...look at how he looked in college vs. the pros...he put on a lot of bad weight and this was discussed many times over the years.

here he is in Portland.

if you think this guy has put in any effort to stay in top shape in the NBA I don't really know what to tell you.

Your cherry picking pictures. I have google search where most of the pics look normal. You are searching for bad pictures which you can find on any NBA player.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS843US844&biw=1536&bih=714&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=B828XKHPEI2gtQWd1K24Ag&q=evan+turner+blazers&oq=evan+turner+blazers
King Ken
General Manager

Post#297 » by King Ken » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:40 pm

clyde21 wrote:
King Ken wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

One person will be right and one will be wrong at the end of next season. I am 100% I will be right and you will be wrong. Good day.I will save to post just to say I told you so.

i'm not even making a claim on Culver one way or the other, I'm just questioning this comparison you keep bringing up.

You been claiming a lot of BS and now you are running from it. :lol: Talking about he's a more efficient athlete and nonsense like that. I ask you how, you can't even explain it.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#298 » by clyde21 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:42 pm

King Ken wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
King Ken wrote:One person will be right and one will be wrong at the end of next season. I am 100% I will be right and you will be wrong. Good day.I will save to post just to say I told you so.

You been claiming a lot of BS and now you are running from it. :lol: Talking about he's a more efficient athlete and nonsense like that. I ask you how, you can't even explain it.

you're the one that literally just ran for it? and I already explained to you the differences between them multiple times. If you disagree fine, but you're looking like a petulant child in this thread tbh.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#299 » by King Ken » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:48 pm

clyde21 wrote:
King Ken wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

you're the one that literally just ran for it? and I already explained to you the differences between them multiple times. If you disagree fine, but you're looking like a petulant child in this thread tbh.

You didn't explain yourself. You literally said he is a more efficient athlete. You said, he has quicker feet when we have actually college tape of both players. That's not a true statement. Either you are lying or you just saying words that aren't truthful? You been on a crusade to post bad pictures of Turner when you can find bad pictures on most players. If anyone is being a petulant child, it's you.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#300 » by clyde21 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:52 pm

King Ken wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
King Ken wrote:You been claiming a lot of BS and now you are running from it. :lol: Talking about he's a more efficient athlete and nonsense like that. I ask you how, you can't even explain it.

You didn't explain yourself. You literally said he is a more efficient athlete. You said, he has quicker feet when we have actually college tape of both players. That's not a true statement. Either you are lying or you just saying words that aren't truthful? You been on a crusade to post bad pictures of Turner when you can find bad pictures on most players. If anyone is being a petulant child, it's you.

I literally just told you. He has quicker feet, his hips are more flexible, he turns quicker, he navigates traffic better, and is lengthier on the defensive end. Do you want me to draw you a picture or something? He also has a frame to add more functional strength in ways that Turner just couldn't because of his body type.

and I'm not 'cherry picking' pictures, they're all over. Turner has always been known as a guy who's been in sub-optimal shape almost the entirety of his career, and it's part of the reason why he's disappointed in the pros...if u want to keep projecting that out on Culver by all means, but you look worse here with every post.

Return to NBA Draft