G-League Ignite Prospects

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,155

G-League Ignite Prospects 

Post#1 » by The-Power » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:31 pm

I know we have individual threads on some players but I thought an overarching thread makes some sense considering they have not only multiple NBA draft prospects but also because there has been a lot of debate on how G-League performances should be interpreted when it comes to translation to the NBA and what the upside and downside is for the NBA careers of prospects playing in the G-League. That can be part of this thread if Mods agree with its value.

This year, it seems like four Ignite prospects are considered potential first-round picks.
– Ron Holland
– Matas Buzelis
– Tyler Smith
– Izan Almansa

I have a hard time ranking them at this point. I've seen some games but not as many as I'd need to, and I generally believe that it's not an easy group to evaluate. I'm currently not convinced that any of them is a top prospect. Holland is probably the prospect with the most perceived upside and should go highest, but I'm not someone who sees him as a top 5 prospect (granted, in this draft I might have to put someone in the top 5 even though I don't see them as a top 5 prospect). I like Tyler Smith as a mid-first pick as I can envision an NBA role. I think Almansa is a really solid player but his archetype is difficult to project in the NBA. He'll have to somehow convince teams that he's a better passer, shooter or rim protector than what he has shown in the G-League to make him a hotter commodity. Still worth picking him up at some point in the first round even if he doesn't but his path to becoming a good NBA starter becomes much narrower. And then there's Matas Buzelis. It's really hard for me to get excited about him. What is he in the NBA? What sets him apart? I'm not saying he's not an NBA player or a first-round pick, but I just don't see what makes him worth a high lottery pick.

Where are you on the Ignite prospects?
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,310

Re: G-League Ignite Prospects 

Post#2 » by Colbinii » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:41 pm

I can envision Holland succeeding in the NBA better than I could Jalen Green. I think he has a better understanding and grasp of how to utilize his scoring and athleticism to be a playmaker, something that has really held Jalen Green back from growing in the NBA.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 895

Post#3 » by HadAnEffectHere » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:59 pm

The 4-25 record for the Ignite is just pretty horrific.

Holland's stats are OK... Matas' stats are pretty horrible other than his blocks per game.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,310

Post#4 » by Colbinii » Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:04 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:The 4-25 record for the Ignite is just pretty horrific.

Holland's stats are OK... Matas' stats are pretty horrible other than his blocks per game.

The issue with looking at the stats is none of the players have a clear or defined role. You don't know their role in any capacity [neither do I] so trying to look at stats and apply context to the stats is nearly impossible, which makes analysis of these players through analytics very difficult.

It is my biggest gripe with the Ignite. If the team was competitive and good, and we could see these players in defined roles, then we could try to utilize their statistical profile for something useful, instead they are all but useless.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,131

Post#5 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:26 pm

Ive tried multiple times to try and watch Ignite, just cant. You have more well defined roles in pickup ball than you do with Ignite.

Im not shocked that at the moment Ignite has 0 top 100 recruits from next year's class right now. They may get Knox and they might get a guy or 2 who decommits late, but I think Ignite dies off pretty soon.

Its just such a terrible route to choose. No one watches, so youre exposure isnt growing. The 500k salary is nothing compared to what a lot of stars are getting their 1 year in college with NIL. And the actual basketball is just crap. Youre not improving your game playing those kinds of games.

You want to stay home, go to a legit high end college but avoid the stacked recruiting classes. The NIL will be close to 7 figures, youd get to learn to play in a legit team system, while also having good USG, and if you make a late March run, youre exposure could be huge.

If youre looking for the best developmental 1 year path, NBL or if you can guarantee a good role on a europe team.

With all that said, I have both Holland and Matas late lotto (probably will jump up the closer we get to the draft) based solely off of physical tools.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 895

Post#6 » by HadAnEffectHere » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:13 am

Yeah, I think NIL will just kill the Ignite, there's no point anymore.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 13,621

Post#7 » by Chuck Everett » Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:05 am

Maybe the collective talent this season just isn't as good as we all hoped. You guys keep crapping on the G-League like these guys working for a call-up aren't better than the players they would be facing on a nightly basis in college. They are playing better competition and getting exposed. No other Ignite team had that problem as far as being competitive.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man
And1: 1,112

Post#8 » by FarBeyondDriven » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:01 am

Duke4life831 wrote:Ive tried multiple times to try and watch Ignite, just cant. You have more well defined roles in pickup ball than you do with Ignite.

Im not shocked that at the moment Ignite has 0 top 100 recruits from next year's class right now. They may get Knox and they might get a guy or 2 who decommits late, but I think Ignite dies off pretty soon.

Its just such a terrible route to choose. No one watches, so youre exposure isnt growing. The 500k salary is nothing compared to what a lot of stars are getting their 1 year in college with NIL. And the actual basketball is just crap. Youre not improving your game playing those kinds of games.

You want to stay home, go to a legit high end college but avoid the stacked recruiting classes. The NIL will be close to 7 figures, youd get to learn to play in a legit team system, while also having good USG, and if you make a late March run, youre exposure could be huge.

If youre looking for the best developmental 1 year path, NBL or if you can guarantee a good role on a europe team.

With all that said, I have both Holland and Matas late lotto (probably will jump up the closer we get to the draft) based solely off of physical tools.

Again, Dink Pate is currently with Ignite and is ranked top 25-30. He was a huge get for them as a 17 y/o. Some 2025 mocks even have him as a lottery pick.

https://nbadraftroom.com/2025-nba-mock-draft/

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10092316-2025-nba-draft-top-30-player-rankings

6'8" with advanced feel on the offensive end and on ball defense. Shows a lot of promise. By this time next season he'll be considered a similar prospect to Holland if I had to guess. And again, there's still a few guys that have Ignite on their list of destinations and there's always kids that might change their mind. Despite what this board thinks, there are some positives about Ignite and going there hasn't seemed to hurt the draft stocks of the more highly touted guys so not sure why we're writing their death certificate.

If a kid wants to play against pros and get minutes, and school isn't their jam, there's no better place and there's likely to be no better place going forward. Minutes aren't there or guaranteed overseas. Ignite is here to stay, warts and all. I wouldn't recommend kids go there, let's make that clear. But there is an appeal to it otherwise kids wouldn't keep choosing it. With half their roster likely to be drafted some of these highly ranked guys are going to see an opportunity for major minutes, usage and choose Ignite over college and overseas. It seems inevitable.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 13,621

Post#9 » by Chuck Everett » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:45 pm

I also want to add, if a player wants to go to college and improve/collect NIL, they absolutely should. I just don't like seeing all of the animus for the G-League considering how many talented guys (with flaws) have actually used the G-League to make it to the NBA. The basketball talent on a nightly basis is better than what we see in the NCAA. That's why the Ignite doesn't perform as well because you're asking former HS kids to immediately compete against professionals.

If you are actually watching NBA league pass on a nightly basis, you'd see how difficult it is to watch college lately before conference play. The talent level/coaching leaves a lot to be desired and there is actually too much player movement with the transfer portal.

Look at Sam Merrill (Cavs), Dru Smith (Heat), Orlando Robinson (Heat), Julian Champagnie (Spurs), Matt Ryan (Pelicans), Olivier Sarr (Thunder), Haywood Highsmith (Heat), Luke Kornet (Celtics), Jordan Goodwin (Suns), Terry Taylor (Bulls)

Those are all guys who have been called up in the last three seasons (not including this one), who have been able to earn playing time after going undrafted or bouncing around for a while. You can improve using what you learn in the G-League. But if you think you're going to just go there and dominate because of the rep you had coming in, you might end up like Johnny Davis (who still looks overwhelmed).
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man
And1: 1,112

Post#10 » by FarBeyondDriven » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:12 am

Holland with yet another 30 point game and shot 4-6 from three. What do people think of Smith? He has a great stroke that with his size and potential on defense should get him drafted but he doesn't seem like a fast-twitch athlete and I've seen almost no off the dribble game thus far.

Return to NBA Draft