Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,597

G Leauge Ignite finished? 

Post#1 » by MemphisX » Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:53 am

Read on Twitter
?t=oMKWcjxVu_I5mbcqmsyKjg&s=08
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,129

Re: G Leauge Ignite finished? 

Post#2 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:52 am

Came here to post this. Ya they’re done. NIL completely killed any chance of Ignite being worth it. Players make more money in college, they get better coaching (at least at majority P5 teams), the travel is much nicer, people actually watch them, and they actually get to play within a team system.

Plus the whole “school” aspect is so minimized now. If you know you’re a OAD, you don’t even have to participate in classes the 2nd half the season. Plus with how popular online classes have become, most guys are doing those (the ones that actually do them haha).

I think the original plan was to come in with all the talk of how bad it was these players didn’t have a way to make money right out of high school. They were going to come in and just have their rotations stacked with 5 stars and the biggest named prospects every year. NIL squashed it. Smart for the NBA to realize it’s done.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 13,534

Post#3 » by Chuck Everett » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:55 am

It's easier for them to end it now that the Suns have a G-League team (thus completing the pie). There will be 31 teams, including Mexico City. I wonder what Dink Pate is going to do, since he is not eligible for the NBA Draft until 2025. Perhaps he will go to NBL for a year.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
Chuck Everett
RealGM

Post#4 » by Chuck Everett » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:56 am

Duke4life831 wrote:Came here to post this. Ya they’re done. NIL completely killed any chance of Ignite being worth it. Players make more money in college, they get better coaching (at least at majority P5 teams), the travel is much nicer, people actually watch them, and they actually get to play within a team system.

This is complete bull and you know it. The majority? Your own favorite school's head coach didn't know how to use a talent in Dereck Lively II.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,522

Post#5 » by azcatz11 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:08 am

Duke4life831 wrote:Came here to post this. Ya they’re done. NIL completely killed any chance of Ignite being worth it. Players make more money in college, they get better coaching (at least at majority P5 teams), the travel is much nicer, people actually watch them, and they actually get to play within a team system.

Plus the whole “school” aspect is so minimized now. If you know you’re a OAD, you don’t even have to participate in classes the 2nd half the season. Plus with how popular online classes have become, most guys are doing those (the ones that actually do them haha).

I think the original plan was to come in with all the talk of how bad it was these players didn’t have a way to make money right out of high school. They were going to come in and just have their rotations stacked with 5 stars and the biggest named prospects every year. NIL squashed it. Smart for the NBA to realize it’s done.

I said the same thing a year and a half ago. Silver saw my post

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2215621&hilit=Nil
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,129

Post#6 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:11 am

Chuck Everett wrote:

This is complete bull and you know it. The majority? Your own favorite school's head coach didn't know how to use a talent in Dereck Lively II.

He used Lively as a rim running lob threat. Lively is used the exact same way right now, he just has the benefit of playing off of Luka and Kyrie and the spacing NBA play has.

I don’t think it’s all that controversial to say the higher end P5 schools have better coaching than Ignite.

Jason Hart wasn’t receiving any big school offers, hell that was the big story with him leaving USC and going to lgnite.

Jason Hart would leave Ignite in a heartbeat if a solid P5 school offered him a HC spot. And basically every P5 HC would scoff at the idea of leaving their job to coach Ignite. Plus it’s not like Ignite has been known to be this well coached team over the last few years.
Chuck Everett
RealGM

Post#7 » by Chuck Everett » Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:55 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:

He used Lively as a rim running lob threat. Lively is used the exact same way right now, he just has the benefit of playing off of Luka and Kyrie and the spacing NBA play has.

I don’t think it’s all that controversial to say the higher end P5 schools have better coaching than Ignite.

Jason Hart wasn’t receiving any big school offers, hell that was the big story with him leaving USC and going to lgnite.

Jason Hart would leave Ignite in a heartbeat if a solid P5 school offered him a HC spot. And basically every P5 HC would scoff at the idea of leaving their job to coach Ignite. Plus it’s not like Ignite has been known to be this well coached team over the last few years.

You said a majority of the coaches. Which is nonsense. Look at how you're talking about the 2024 draft on this forum. What better coaching is Calipari doing? What better coaching is Matt Painter doing? Jaden Ivey came into the NBA not knowing how to get into a defensive stance and he was there for two years. Blake Wesley played for Mike Brey for one season and still struggles with his dribble.

You don't like the G-League Ignite because you don't feel it's educational to watch 18 year olds get their brains bashed in nightly against semi-pros in front of small crowds, hey I get that and I won't argue that point. But to say the majority of prospects are getting better coaching in college is ridiculous. Most of these kids come into the NBA not even knowing how to throw a simple entry pass. If college coaching ain't teaching that, what are they learning?

As for Lively, he clearly has way more talent than just being a rim roller and the Dallas organization is learning about his passing ability for one. He's more than a rim roller. Scheyer did a bad job with him. It's okay to admit it. With a better coach and system to use his gifts, Lively goes in the top 5.

How about this. What did Scott Drew teach Jeremy Sochan in his one year at Baylor? Sochan had to completely re-work his shot mechanics as a rookie. How come after four years with Bill Self at Kansas Ochai Agbaji still couldn't dribble a basketball?
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,458

Post#8 » by babyjax13 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:14 am

I think it's time for ignite to end. They can integrate players who want a pre-draft professional year into regular gleague teams.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,288

Post#9 » by clyde21 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:07 am

poorly executed, the NBA just has no idea how to build a true development league.
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man
And1: 1,107

Post#10 » by FarBeyondDriven » Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:43 am

perhaps the multi-billion dollar NBA could pay the kids better to counter NIL money? It's not like NIL money is that crazy. Hire better coaches and construct better rosters? They own NBA TV. Put all the games on there to raise visibility to make it more attractive. There's plenty they could do to give kids that want to stay in the US but don't want to go to college a viable place to play. This isn't rocket science. But if they're too lazy and stupid to figure it out it's best they do fold.
BigGargamel
Veteran
And1: 6,549

Post#11 » by BigGargamel » Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:46 pm

I like the idea of the Ignite and think something like that could still work, but it's easy to see that dumping all of these kids on one roster, with poor coaching and little to no roster construction, isn't a recipe for success for the team or the players.

There are three guys in the top 50 who remain uncommitted, so there's still a chance a guy or two goes to the Ignite, but chances are they don't land a blue chip prospect. So who knows.
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,301

Post#12 » by andyhop » Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:11 am

BigGargamel wrote:I like the idea of the Ignite and think something like that could still work, but it's easy to see that dumping all of these kids on one roster, with poor coaching and little to no roster construction, isn't a recipe for success for the team or the players.

The trouble is the alternatives have massive problems too. If you send them out to the other teams instead whats in it for the Wolves or the Rockets to spend time developing them instead of their own contracted players playing in the GLeague?.
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,602

Post#13 » by baldur » Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:49 am

I don't understand why a new team was founded just to prepare some prospects for the nba. Why wouldn't other g league teams do this?
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,288

Post#14 » by clyde21 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:04 am

andyhop wrote:
BigGargamel wrote:I like the idea of the Ignite and think something like that could still work, but it's easy to see that dumping all of these kids on one roster, with poor coaching and little to no roster construction, isn't a recipe for success for the team or the players.

The trouble is the alternatives have massive problems too. If you send them out to the other teams instead whats in it for the Wolves or the Rockets to spend time developing them instead of their own contracted players playing in the GLeague?.

not a huge problem imo if you turn it into a FA where players choose which teams to go to in the G League. they would sign with teams depending on the pitch, which would obviously include how they would use/develop them and how many minutes they would give them.

in return the GL team gets a 5* prospect to be on the roster for a year, like any NCAA program that lands one for a year.

really none of this should be that complicated but the NBA itself complicates **** with its bureaucracy and weird arbitrary rules. there really should be no difference between a 5* HS recruit getting recruited by an NCAA program or a GL program or an NBL program, etc.
QMemphis
Junior
And1: 221

Post#15 » by QMemphis » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:09 am

NBA merits were good they wanted to develop and pay top prospects. The execution was always going to be flawed, especially with the year-to-year turnover of the team. Novel idea but its need has shifted. Heck for all we know Ron Holland may be the true number 1 prospect and Matas may be a Franz clone.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,687

Post#16 » by 165bows » Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:59 pm

Seems like the team needs more vets.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,170

Post#17 » by Braggins » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:50 pm

I think the GLeague has the potential to be the best development path for elite recruits if done right. I hope they don't scrap the idea all together and instead look for a better way to do it.

Slightly related, but I like how the narrative about the GLeague (as it relates to the draft) last year was that the GLeague was too easy and you cant trust any numbers the Ignite guys put up there, but now a year later we've fully come around to people admitting that actually the GLeague is too difficult for 18/19 year olds to compete on their own and the entire thing might have to be scrapped because of it.
Saints14
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,562

Post#18 » by Saints14 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:25 pm

Yeah it feels like a good idea and bad execution. This year was especially botched with all of the top prospects having overlapping skillsets. I still support the idea that college isn’t for everyone and having alternative options is good, but selfishly I hope it’s dissolved because it would make college basketball more interesting
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,240

Post#19 » by EvanZ » Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:08 pm

baldur wrote:I don't understand why a new team was founded just to prepare some prospects for the nba. Why wouldn't other g league teams do this?

Because they are not allowed to. There are only about 10 kids who the NBA invites to participate in this process and they get something like $500K each to play.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,984

Post#20 » by shakes0 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:09 pm

11 players have been drafted out of Ignite. the only one even close to developing into a good player is Kuminga and you could argue that only happened because he spent the last two years learning how to basketball from a franchise like Golden State.

It is an absolute and total failure.

Return to NBA Draft